Wings, baby, Wings

conundrumed

Zero surprise at all. Hawks fans will now despise him. lol

So sure...I guess so. Had cap, likely not finding another player of his calibre to use it for this year.

We've gotten better defensively, but DeBrincat and now Kane are albatrosses on that side of the puck. So keep the puck in the north end. Scoring isn't a problem at all. Add Lalonde has run 11/7 a fair bit this year.

I should likely be more excited, but I like the leadership dynamic without him. Will Larkin rip on Kane? Remains to be seen, but I hope so.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Zero surprise at all. Hawks fans will now despise him. lol

So sure...I guess so. Had cap, likely not finding another player of his calibre to use it for this year.

We've gotten better defensively, but DeBrincat and now Kane are albatrosses on that side of the puck. So keep the puck in the north end. Scoring isn't a problem at all. Add Lalonde has run 11/7 a fair bit this year.

I should likely be more excited, but I like the leadership dynamic without him. Will Larkin rip on Kane? Remains to be seen, but I hope so.

I'm happy he is staying in the East and away from teams where he may actually help them a lot.  Weren't that many teams that actually had cap space.  BUFF, CBJ, DET, ARI, NAS.  I laugh at the thought of him playing for NAS.    

13 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Kane is coming off hip surgery.  We saw what happened to Monahan after hip surgery.  The legs are gone.

It doesn't move my needle much. I view it as a cheap risk that's a decent one to take. Doesn't eat away all the cap space, so still room for moves if required. It's not a Hail Mary because they're doing well without him. Their record should actually be a bit better than it is imo, so it's not smoke and mirrors.

Maybe Kane's still got it. My only concern is that Lalonde will try too hard to accommodate and wait for the old Kane, but that's a small concern. Lots of depth so that's unlikely.

Hopefully he does well or he sits. Perhaps I'll eat these words, but I'm more hoping Fabbri stays healthy(I prolly just cursed it). Such a dynamic player, but can't help himself by getting injured being way too aggressive on the forecheck. Time and time again...him and Raymond could be unreal together.

Many were trolling Yzerman for all the offseason adds, but they were all pretty concise.

Not sure why Lyon needed time, nursing injury maybe, but it's time to move Reimer out. He did well as a stopgap, but I don't see a point in keeping him now. Husso and Lyon are a pretty solid tandem. People talk about how goalies are, "quiet back there". Reimer is the polar opposite. Every shot is an adventure. Hasek at 40% of the athleticism.lol

Tough one tonight vs NYR. Hopefully they don't spot the 5-0 lead before showing up this time. If so, start the comeback earlier...Larkin's out DTD, I think he's been fighting through the injury since the Sens in Sweden.

Jonny Burgers called up. Compher to 1C. Hopefully missing the wheel with the biggest wings doesn't hurt too badly.

Tough loss to the NYR 3-2 after taking a 2-1 lead into the 3rd. Played a pretty shoddy first of too much (not connecting) passes instead of shooting. Really got some momentum going in the middle frame until the dreaded TV timeout allowed the Rangers to regroup - I don't think TV timeouts get enough "credit" for being timeouts. Looked mainly tentative in the 3rd.
A good effort all around without Larkin. The Fabbri-Copp-Berggren line was the D's best but also burned on the winner after a failed wrap-around by Burgers. One thing about the Rangers is they are a nightmare every time you make a mistake. Panarin is another version of Kucherov.

Good effort by the Wings, defensively played a pretty great game which is promising to see. Both goalies played well.

Ghostisbehere injured early in the 3rd after a hit from behind by Cuylle. Kostin went after him but Cuylle had fallen down. Result? Off-setting boarding and roughing penalties...*sigh*

Ghostisbehere never returned. NYR cheerleading analysts denied it was a hit from behind to the point of almost blaming Ghostisbehere for not seeing him. Right up there with TBay...

Still some troubles getting skating to start games/periods. Good game, good effort...move along.

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Tough loss to the NYR 3-2 after taking a 2-1 lead into the 3rd. Played a pretty shoddy first of too much (not connecting) passes instead of shooting. Really got some momentum going in the middle frame until the dreaded TV timeout allowed the Rangers to regroup - I don't think TV timeouts get enough "credit" for being timeouts. Looked mainly tentative in the 3rd.
A good effort all around without Larkin. The Fabbri-Copp-Berggren line was the D's best but also burned on the winner after a failed wrap-around by Burgers. One thing about the Rangers is they are a nightmare every time you make a mistake. Panarin is another version of Kucherov.

Good effort by the Wings, defensively played a pretty great game which is promising to see. Both goalies played well.

Ghostisbehere injured early in the 3rd after a hit from behind by Cuylle. Kostin went after him but Cuylle had fallen down. Result? Off-setting boarding and roughing penalties...*sigh*

Ghostisbehere never returned. NYR cheerleading analysts denied it was a hit from behind to the point of almost blaming Ghostisbehere for not seeing him. Right up there with TBay...

Still some troubles getting skating to start games/periods. Good game, good effort...move along.

There is such a slim margin in some games, to the point that you add them up and you make or miss the playoffs.  That is a frustrating thing for fans.  Like for us here last year where we were inept in 3 point games and took the 1.  Or we played how many one goal games.  You get to the playoffs and it doesn't matter how you got there; iof you can win the type of games you lost in regular season OT, it's fine. 

What i am saying is I never buy into the contenders vs pretenders stuff.  You will have to bring it to another level in the playoffs.  If a high scoring team gets in they need to learn how to stop goals.  If you scored on the PP, you have to learn how to win without it.  

With the Wings, I hope that they are playing the games where you see the effort every game and that the losses are just events that made them lose as opposed to the team looking like crap for 40 minutes.  

A point made during last night's win vs Buffalo I'd never really thought about, but yeah. Seider hasn't missed a single game (187) since breaking into the league. 1D, PP, PK, getting more physical, almost never gets beat 1-on-1.

Thankful Ghostisbehere and Holl can relieve some of his TOI this year.

He's going to get paid. Cap goes up, 8 x $10 I can see quite easily. Can compare salaries, but there isn't really a similar style of Dman imo. He can't O threat the way Makar or Hughes do, but anchors the whole show from the backend. D-wise, maybe the best in the league with only Makar alongside. It isn't even very close for other Dmen that I can think of. A lot of #s but not great D-wise. Or solid D-wise with little O.

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

A point made during last night's win vs Buffalo I'd never really thought about, but yeah. Seider hasn't missed a single game (187) since breaking into the league. 1D, PP, PK, getting more physical, almost never gets beat 1-on-1.

Thankful Ghostisbehere and Holl can relieve some of his TOI this year.

He's going to get paid. Cap goes up, 8 x $10 I can see quite easily. Can compare salaries, but there isn't really a similar style of Dman imo. He can't O threat the way Makar or Hughes do, but anchors the whole show from the backend. D-wise, maybe the best in the league with only Makar alongside. It isn't even very close for other Dmen that I can think of. A lot of #s but not great D-wise. Or solid D-wise with little O.

would Hedman be a comparable then? Salary-wise.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, robrob74 said:

would Hedman be a comparable then? Salary-wise.

I do believe you've got it!! So Hedman was about 10.8% of cap when he signed.

So that is around Larkin's $8.7. Nice price for the 2 main core pieces. Seider could get more, age, Calder, would be a perennial Norris candidate if D actually mattered.

Then it's on to Raymond, Rasmussen, Veleno, Berggren as RFAs. Perron, Sprong and Ghostisbehere as UFAs worthy of re-signing. Nice problems to have.

Kane makes his debut tonight at home vs the Sharks. I rolled the dice and got tix for Saturday vs the Sens. Thought that could be his debut. Good game though, becoming the fiercest rival. The pizza palace will be wild tonight!!

Maybe he won't even play Saturday.lol Yzerman being very reserved about Kane's usage, which makes sense. Pretty much just, "a lot of people cheering for him, but we'll see how it goes".

He's definitely under no illusions that this was a low cost risk. I could listen to Yzerman interviews all day. He basically says it's because him and DeBrincat are best friends, and he has huge respect for how Kane thinks the game. So he obliged, and basically leaves it as, "I hope it works out for him, he's had a great career".

Kane seems pretty jacked, so hopefully he can translate on the ice. Larkin makes any winger better, really. He does most of the heavy lifting. If Kane can carry the puck in, that helps relieve Larkin from being the guy to focus on every time.

As an aside, Lyon's been great for $0.9 this year and next. Who wants Reimer?lol

8 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I do believe you've got it!! So Hedman was about 10.8% of cap when he signed.

So that is around Larkin's $8.7. Nice price for the 2 main core pieces. Seider could get more, age, Calder, would be a perennial Norris candidate if D actually mattered.

Then it's on to Raymond, Rasmussen, Veleno, Berggren as RFAs. Perron, Sprong and Ghostisbehere as UFAs worthy of re-signing. Nice problems to have.

Kane makes his debut tonight at home vs the Sharks. I rolled the dice and got tix for Saturday vs the Sens. Thought that could be his debut. Good game though, becoming the fiercest rival. The pizza palace will be wild tonight!!

Maybe he won't even play Saturday.lol Yzerman being very reserved about Kane's usage, which makes sense. Pretty much just, "a lot of people cheering for him, but we'll see how it goes".

He's definitely under no illusions that this was a low cost risk. I could listen to Yzerman interviews all day. He basically says it's because him and DeBrincat are best friends, and he has huge respect for how Kane thinks the game. So he obliged, and basically leaves it as, "I hope it works out for him, he's had a great career".

Kane seems pretty jacked, so hopefully he can translate on the ice. Larkin makes any winger better, really. He does most of the heavy lifting. If Kane can carry the puck in, that helps relieve Larkin from being the guy to focus on every time.

As an aside, Lyon's been great for $0.9 this year and next. Who wants Reimer?lol

I just hope we can get a Larkin. It's painfully obvious that you were right about Lindholm. He is no Larkin and doesn't deserve a penny more than him on the open market. 

Could we take a flyer on Reimer? We trade Markstrom and Vladar, call up Wolf and gain Reimer to platoon? I don't like Reimer, so it is really about getting extra for the other two goalies. I wonder if Markstrom would want to win as there doesn't seem to be a window for the Flames.

Edit: Oh, and not saying trade our goalies to Detroit, just that trading them elsewhere could get us assets and then maybe we'd be doing Detroit a favour by taking on Reimer?

Definitely deserving of the props. Compher's become a fave for me. Consistently avoiding taking risks while capitalizing on chances. Just a really solid all-around player. Ice 12 guys like him and 3-2 will go your way a lot.

Big miss for the Avs I'd guess, moreso than Kadri. His game should age really well too.

https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/versatility-is-compher-s-calling-card-for-red-wings

A great night met with the, "will you stop running 11/7 please". Turned into 9/7 in a hurry losing Larkin and Perron.

Oh well, I got the Korpisalo that I've always championed adding to the deflation.

Highlights, met Vernon on his "honoured" HOF night with the Cup and trophies on display. Kane's 1st goal, the crowd went wild. It was loud most of the game. Awesome food again at UWM, post-game at the Hockeytown Bar & Grill, where the old bartender seems to be madly in love with my woman.lol They're besties.lol He announced "free appetizers to anyone who gives up their seats" at the bar so we got seats. He sees us maybe 5 or 6 times/yr and she's like his long-lost daughter. I always get the, "what's your name again".lol

As for the game, that's a lot of talent. Losing Larkin can't be a thing. Veleno's absolutely solid, but he's not Larkin. A few more years maybe he gets close. Stuetzle, Giroux, Tkachuk, near everyone really, the Sens look great with that kind of goaltending.

Kane is just a great player. I don't even know what to say. He sees what he thinks might develop way ahead of it.

No Larkin changed everything in this game. Kudos to Veleno for trying to fill the void, but that's a massive void.

My goathorns go to the usual suspects, but I'll leave the whining alone.

Bad results night all over the league.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 1:38 AM, conundrumed said:

A great night met with the, "will you stop running 11/7 please". Turned into 9/7 in a hurry losing Larkin and Perron.

Oh well, I got the Korpisalo that I've always championed adding to the deflation.

Highlights, met Vernon on his "honoured" HOF night with the Cup and trophies on display. Kane's 1st goal, the crowd went wild. It was loud most of the game. Awesome food again at UWM, post-game at the Hockeytown Bar & Grill, where the old bartender seems to be madly in love with my woman.lol They're besties.lol He announced "free appetizers to anyone who gives up their seats" at the bar so we got seats. He sees us maybe 5 or 6 times/yr and she's like his long-lost daughter. I always get the, "what's your name again".lol

As for the game, that's a lot of talent. Losing Larkin can't be a thing. Veleno's absolutely solid, but he's not Larkin. A few more years maybe he gets close. Stuetzle, Giroux, Tkachuk, near everyone really, the Sens look great with that kind of goaltending.

Kane is just a great player. I don't even know what to say. He sees what he thinks might develop way ahead of it.

No Larkin changed everything in this game. Kudos to Veleno for trying to fill the void, but that's a massive void.

My goathorns go to the usual suspects, but I'll leave the whining alone.

Bad results night all over the league.

Looked like a fluke KO.  Larkin gets shoved from behind right into Parker Kelly's right hand.  Connected with chin.  And Larkin was out cold.

Good to see Larkin got up under his own power.

The last 2 losses, 2-1 and 1-0, really magnify how much of a difference maker Larkin is for the Wings. It's just a different team without him. G has been solid so hopefully that keeps up because I assumed we'd need to make up some ground when he's back. Toronto and Florida are getting away from us when they shouldn't be. Perron is a big loss due to stupidity, but Larkin's a massive loss. He makes nearly everyone better than they actually are.

His return is being rumoured for early next week. Fingers crossed.

They really shouldn't be losing to anybody when their G is on and they have a full roster. Hopefully the constant injury run dissipates and then they can get on a run. Husso seems like he's getting back to normal after a shaky 2 months. Of course Lyon's injured now because he's been great. Par for the course.

Well the goalies are now Reimer and Hutchinson...week-to-week on Husso and Lyon.

Completely overwhelmed with injuries, pretty much since Kane started. Zero to do with him, just bad luck.

Larkin back but might still be feeling the effects. Says he has zero recollection of the incident.

Gotta get back on track as FLA and TML starting to get away.