Wings, baby, Wings

conundrumed

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

You think Stevie would have any appetite to retain salary to make the trade?

Not many teams will take a flier on him at that price.

It's the remains of this year and next.

$5.75M actual next year.

Not sure there is a reason to move him unless there's an underlying issue, at which point I'm sure he'd retain salary.

I honestly don't know. It used to be, "where there's smoke there's fire", but that's long gone. There's always smoke with social media and far too many bloggers' opinions that fans latch onto. Sketchy sources are everywhere and it can get pretty far removed from fact.

As for Vrana, he's below average defensively but he has an elite, tricky and accurate release, good skater and good at protecting the puck. He can score from anywhere with pinpoint accuracy. It's frightening how good he could be if it all came together. Herein lies the risk. It's been there in spurts without question.

I think most Wings fans, like me, hope that he can get on track. Both for himself and us. With everyone healthy for the first time ever fwd depth would be massive. Need to move Bert though before ufa.

There are zero leaks from Yzerman's crew. Their job depends on it. Even staff interviews are silent.

So all of the speculation is pure guessing.

19 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Not sure there is a reason to move him unless there's an underlying issue, at which point I'm sure he'd retain salary.

I honestly don't know. It used to be, "where there's smoke there's fire", but that's long gone. There's always smoke with social media and far too many bloggers' opinions that fans latch onto. Sketchy sources are everywhere and it can get pretty far removed from fact.

As for Vrana, he's below average defensively but he has an elite, tricky and accurate release, good skater and good at protecting the puck. He can score from anywhere with pinpoint accuracy. It's frightening how good he could be if it all came together. Herein lies the risk. It's been there in spurts without question.

I think most Wings fans, like me, hope that he can get on track. Both for himself and us. With everyone healthy for the first time ever fwd depth would be massive. Need to move Bert though before ufa.

There are zero leaks from Yzerman's crew. Their job depends on it. Even staff interviews are silent.

So all of the speculation is pure guessing.

Sometimes you just need to get away from the environment.  Maybe the location is playing into it.

I'm not worried about a player that lacks defensive responsibility.  We supposedly have that in spades.

We lack players with that ripper shot.  Who do we have that can hit a target in the top corner of the net?

Maybe Lindholm and Toffoli?  Dube?  Need more than that.

Play him with Backlund if you worry about his defense.

When Mangiapane is sucking, we have nobody on that line that can hit the net.

12 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Sometimes you just need to get away from the environment.  Maybe the location is playing into it.

I'm not worried about a player that lacks defensive responsibility.  We supposedly have that in spades.

We lack players with that ripper shot.  Who do we have that can hit a target in the top corner of the net?

Maybe Lindholm and Toffoli?  Dube?  Need more than that.

Play him with Backlund if you worry about his defense.

When Mangiapane is sucking, we have nobody on that line that can hit the net.

There's been a lot of players in Detroit down the years, environment is never a problem. Let alone one of the best arenas you'll ever play in. Note that Calgary. Don't build a skyscraper like Edmonton. I've been in both a number of times. Detroit and MTL are the class of the league, not Edmonton.

I see our original D pairings are back, so hopefully Chiarot sticks to D and lets Seider run.

Should be a tired team after the SO win in Edmonton, but don't rely on it. Vrana (no practice time) a healthy scratch, Kubalik in for Raymond. Walman healhy scratch. The 3rd pair of Hagg-Lindstrom is sketch.

Hellberg will get the start, he doesn't move laterally very well is the weakness. Flames really have to limit 4th line minutes. They're snail pace will be exposed vs any line.

Detroit gives up a lot of chances, but they can hang a lot of goals on you too from any line and the PP ranges from awesome to terrible at any given time. PK is meh.

The Wings are no longer a team good teams "should" beat. They have a lot of talent.

Husso is their MVP and the Flames won't be seeing him. Gotta get to Hellberg early and often. Letting Detroit hang around isn't a good idea. Every line can score. And DON'T play, "let's defend the lead". It won't go well.

Looking forward to a good game. Flames started the Wings' winning streak. Can they end it?

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

There's been a lot of players in Detroit down the years, environment is never a problem. Let alone one of the best arenas you'll ever play in. Note that Calgary. Don't build a skyscraper like Edmonton. I've been in both a number of times. Detroit and MTL are the class of the league, not Edmonton.

I don't mean in general, I mean specific to the player.  It may be coincidence, but perhaps his struggles started after the trade.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I don't mean in general, I mean specific to the player.  It may be coincidence, but perhaps his struggles started after the trade.

He needed surgery 2 summers ago. He chose to wait until camp to decide to get it. That likely went over like a lead balloon with Yzerman. Drouin is all anyone needs to know about Yzerman. Team first or you can rot, doesn't matter who you think you are. Bert refused the jab.

We'll see who stays and goes.

This playoff push is getting dicey on selling, but they're pretty deep.

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

He needed surgery 2 summers ago. He chose to wait until camp to decide to get it. That likely went over like a lead balloon with Yzerman. Drouin is all anyone needs to know about Yzerman. Team first or you can rot, doesn't matter who you think you are. Bert refused the jab.

We'll see who stays and goes.

This playoff push is getting dicey on selling, but they're pretty deep.

I didn't follow the player, so I didn't know that.  The Bert situation was just weird.  How do you manage that playing in Canada fairly often?  Yeah I know, you can't really.  So, is the player toxic?  If so, I would have no interest in the player.  

21 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

He's not really. There's no room to re-sign him though as the futures make him expendable. He's worth $5 easy. Can't call him injury prone for 2 broken hands blocking shots.

Maatta's off the market. Extended @ 2 x $3. He's been great. Couldn't be happier. Definitely worth it.

Ah yes, Maata, who was picked one place after Janko.

What could have been....

Damn I hate having this thread when it's a Flames game, so apologies.😅

5 game heater, 2 back of Caps(3) and Cats(4), 3pts back of Pens(-) and NYI(4).

() = Wings having games in hand.

Crazy. Sens and Sabres still in the hunt. 7 teams fighting for 2 spots. None can catch 3rd place in their divisions without a total meltdown by a top 3 team.

Now for Stevie it becomes decision time on Bertuzzi. Keep him for the fight and let him walk for nothing?

Kind of have to, imo. Would hate to upset the group when they're finally playing meaningful games in February.

It's a fun ride when nobody really expected it and fans still have a lot of patience regardless of where it goes from here.

So much added last offseason:

Husso

Perron

Copp

Kubalik

Walman

Maatta

Chiarot

All having a positive impact teaching the kids how to play a full season has been great for development as opposed to playing 30 meaningless games to close out the season.

So if you'd like an E team to cheer for...lol

I know we have our history, but they were in the West back then.

So who has an E fave team? I'd forgive NJ and Buffalo. Maybe Philly. NEVER the Rangers!!!!

HUUUGE game vs WASH tonight. Come away with a win and they're in the driver's seat for games in hand. Would LOVE to see DET and BUFF take the 2 wildcards. That would be a story for the East, finally.

Have to overtake the Pens. Lots of games in hand vs FLA, WASH & NYI.

Keeping expectations low for both teams as they're really not supposed to be here yet.

But I've always said rebuilding teams arrive a year earlier than expected.

It's been a really fun season, as opposed to my favourite team in the west.

Seems official that the Wings aren't selling at the deadline. A surprising season in a fun way.

Vrana draws in vs his old team

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Perron

Rasmussen-Copp-Fabbri

Vrana-Veleno-Berggren

Zadina-Suter-Sundqvist

Pretty solid. Hopefully Jonny Burgers will be serving up some delicious one-timers for Vrana.

When Raymond gets back we'll be at full health for the first time all year. Who do you sit is a good problem to have.

Kubalik sitting tonight. Good scorer, but one-dimensional.

Would LOVE to see the preseason PP back with Raymond-Vrana on each side putting on a show.

But we'll see how Vrana looks first.😅

Well, Larkin gets punted early, game over. But if he gets further discipline I'll be pissed. Same play as Huberdeau against Larkin that wasn't even a penalty. Larkin's looked a bit worse, but still accidental.

Oh wait, we have superstar Pius Suter. Wings 3 Caps 1.

By win% we have the 2nd wildcard.

Tough sked, next NYR(1-1), TBay(2-0), then an important B2B in OTT(1-1), who are pretty hot rn sniffing for a wildcard.

6-1 in the last 7. Like *cough cough* teams are supposed to do if they want in.

Trying to temper expectations, but damn they're playing well in all facets.

The win puts them ahead of the Pens for 2nd wc, games in hand for 1st wc.

Zadina and Copp pitching in with goals. It's now officially everyone pitching in.

Jonny Burgers sat, Raymond could be back Saturday. May need to put Vrana back in the A until after TDL because there's no one deserves to sit. Great problem to have.

Was thinking split with the Sens with b2b in Ottawa. Looks like we're on the ropes for a split. Ned kinda screwed us for a solid backup so we got Hellberg's start outta the way.

Hopefully a better result tonight. These are the 2 teams that I want for the EC wildcards. Split, then go beat the crap out of everyone else.

If it doesn't work out, oh well. Still significant potential in prospects coming up.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Up to 5 picks now likely top 50 for this year's draft. Love it.

Ready for graduates in the next year or 2 and reloading.

They do it all wrong! 

So annoying. :P The Flames can't seem to do this kind of thing and remain relevant to where they're at in the moment. 

It's hard for the Flames as they really traded a lot of their collateral away. Not enough prospects due to trading away picks for everything they are now. Hopefully they can get on a heater because they pretty much have gone all in in the past. So not much in the cupboards. Wanna make trades? It's gotta be roster players to get out of the hole that was dug trading away picks or it's just chasing your tail relentlessly.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So Bert is now a Bruin.

Went for a 1st (2024) and 4th (2025).

Love it. Hopefully the Bruins are too tired to repeat this year's shenanigans. Extension talks with Bert got nowhere, he's headed for UFA, so I'll take it over nothing. Injuries brought down his value.

But he was either getting overpaid or leaving for nothing. I like this.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Love it. Hopefully the Bruins are too tired to repeat this year's shenanigans. Extension talks with Bert got nowhere, he's headed for UFA, so I'll take it over nothing. Injuries brought down his value.

But he was either getting overpaid or leaving for nothing. I like this.

Hall went to LTIR, so BOS going the Tampa route?

Healthy for the playoffs?

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Hall went to LTIR, so BOS going the Tampa route?

Healthy for the playoffs?

Foligno's hurt too, compliments of Zadorov, so a pretty stealthy move for Boston. Detroit retains 50%.

Likely could have gotten a bit more for Bertuzzi, but it's fair value and retaining helps the Bruins so it's good faith too.

It's a nice move for both teams. Pretty sure GMs abide by past moves of good faith.

Some folks are brow-beating the, "thought Detroit was done rebuilding" drum. Nope. Still at it like most Wings fans want to be doing. A lot of potential in the chamber with Edvinsson, Johansson, Wallinder at D are almost surefire.

Kasper, Mazur, Soderblom solid F prospects. Then a pile of others that are decent.

Cossa/Gylander good G prospects.

It's fun to watch.