Wings, baby, Wings

conundrumed

12 hours ago, robrob74 said:

i was just thinking the same thing as I was coming to this thread. We don't advocate for a bad rebuild. We want one done right. Not one half assed and quickened.

if people believe in BT and his work, then they shouldn't fear one. 

I was thinking how great it would be to be excited by some young players with high end potential. 

we have some promising young players, and had a few we counted on but didn't pan out. Some still in waiting to take another step...

valimaki was a tough one. Dube has been ok but needs another step. We don't have the mix yet. 

The best arguement I've gotten against rebuilds on here, really has been "look at Edmonton".

Hard not to look.

But even that only goes so far.    "Edmonton tried it and it didn't work" implies that Edmonton is good at trying things.  Which is ridiculous.

If we were to fully follow "Edmonton tried it and it didn't work" to it's final and natural conclusion, we'd end up deciding we shouldn't have an NHL team here at all.

Anway, tick tock.   We'll get our turn soon too, I don't mind the 5 year wait but only if we have the right management in place to make it successful

On 11/26/2022 at 2:21 PM, jjgallow said:

@conundrumed  no more complaining from you about about rebuilds lol.

I can complain all I want.lol

Detroit's was a looooong time in the making. If not for Stevie wanting to go home from TBay we may still have Holland.🤢

Nobody, but nobody, wanted Stevie to draft Seider.lol

What do we know??

NHL Strength of Schedule Rankings (powerrankingsguru.com)

Worth noting that the Wings play in one of the toughest division and to date haven't had a game against either Toronto, Tampa or Florida and only 1 against Boston.  With Toronto, Vegas, Tampa, Florida and Dallas on the sched the next 2 weeks we should have a better read on them.  For comparison the Flames have played more games vs. the Eastern conference than the Wings, and the Wings have played as many against the Pacific, only they have only their 5 (Ana x2, LAK x2, SJ) is on the easier side than the Flames (Edm x2, Veg, Sea, LA).  Not saying the Wings won't continue, but I think people are premature in labeling it a successful rebuild.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sak22 said:

NHL Strength of Schedule Rankings (powerrankingsguru.com)

Worth noting that the Wings play in one of the toughest division and to date haven't had a game against either Toronto, Tampa or Florida and only 1 against Boston.  With Toronto, Vegas, Tampa, Florida and Dallas on the sched the next 2 weeks we should have a better read on them.  For comparison the Flames have played more games vs. the Eastern conference than the Wings, and the Wings have played as many against the Pacific, only they have only their 5 (Ana x2, LAK x2, SJ) is on the easier side than the Flames (Edm x2, Veg, Sea, LA).  Not saying the Wings won't continue, but I think people are premature in labeling it a successful rebuild.

For sure you're right. By Christmas they could easily be sub .500. As you say, their strength of schedule is now going to do a 180. It isn't a successful rebuild yet, but the eye test is a huge relief. It's been a hard team to watch for a long time, so this is more fun than Mickey trying to find decent things to say about a near-unwatchable team.lol

I'm anti-rebuild, it's been years of watching an AHL-level team. Add in always on the wrong side of the stupid draft lottery.

They're fun to watch now. Very outside shot a playoffs this year, but getting a lot more respectable.

Liking the Flames and Wings is like watching the weight of expectation vs zero expectation. 

One set of fans losing their minds vs another set of fans just happy their team competes most nights.

12 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I can complain all I want.lol

Detroit's was a looooong time in the making. If not for Stevie wanting to go home from TBay we may still have Holland.🤢

Nobody, but nobody, wanted Stevie to draft Seider.lol

What do we know??

sad get over it GIF

Yes, I can't think of anyone who would have advocated for picking the best RHD in the draft lol

Average rebuild takes 5 years.

Average hockey fan lives 81 years.

You fine.

10 hours ago, jjgallow said:

sad get over it GIF

Yes, I can't think of anyone who would have advocated for picking the best RHD in the draft lol

Average rebuild takes 5 years.

Average hockey fan lives 81 years.

You fine.

Seider was pretty raw and not well known. Even Wings fans were..."what the..".

Fun in hindsight. 

Welp, 2 games later, outplayed the Leafs, lost 4-2. Ned with 2 “how does that go in” 1st period goals vs Buffalo.

Down 4-1 after 2, good resilience to tie it 4-4. Lose in the SO after hitting 2 posts on a beaten Anderson. yuck

But coming back from 4-1…I know a team that can’t overcome 1-0 2 minutes into the first….just sayin’.

Big win against the Bolts. Overrun by their big 3 in the 3rd playing most of the 3rd like McDrai, but held on.

With this game and the Leafs, definitely showing they can compete with the big boys. Now just learn how to lock it down. Berggren (J Burger lol cuz everyone gets a nickname)at 3g 5a in 12 games with bottom 6 minutes. Him and Veleno look good together. Was a pretty high pace game. The 1st was great hockey to watch. 0-0, Detroit held12-9 shot advantage. TBay with about 30 shots in the 3rd, just kept coming.

Big win for the Wings psyche and confidence. At 2-1, TBay threw everything at them, it was intense.

SN: more Sabres, more Wings. Really fun hockey to watch.

24 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Big win against the Bolts. Overrun by their big 3 in the 3rd playing most of the 3rd like McDrai, but held on.

With this game and the Leafs, definitely showing they can compete with the big boys. Now just learn how to lock it down. Berggren (J Burger lol cuz everyone gets a nickname)at 3g 5a in 12 games with bottom 6 minutes. Him and Veleno look good together. Was a pretty high pace game. The 1st was great hockey to watch. 0-0, Detroit held12-9 shot advantage. TBay with about 30 shots in the 3rd, just kept coming.

Big win for the Wings psyche and confidence. At 2-1, TBay threw everything at them, it was intense.

Since you are following them, how do you think they stack up against the West.

From what i see (wins/losses), they have struggled a bit against West teams.  

5-3-2 record is decent but Minny is the only West team they have beaten that is above the playoff cutoff.

That isn't a criticism, just and observation.

I do want them to destroy EDM and SEA.

Take down WPG a few notches. 

49 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

17 consecutive years of not qualifying for the playoffs and we are finally getting to the point of watching fun hockey. With NJ displacing someone this year good chance it goes to 19 consecutive years. There is no one way to build a team but these two teams chose a direction and are sticking to it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

17 consecutive years of not qualifying for the playoffs and we are finally getting to the point of watching fun hockey. With NJ displacing someone this year good chance it goes to 19 consecutive years. There is no one way to build a team but these two teams chose a direction and are sticking to it.

Yup, I should have added NJ too. Love watching young players progress and adding some savvy vets in the mix to teach them balance through the highs and lows. Hronek looked like a huge miss, give him Maata(wtf?) and now he looks like a top pair world beater. It’s crazy. Nobody but nobody saw the Maata signing as anything more than 3rd pairing whatever. Now he’s on the top pair. It’s really fun and fast hockey to watch. Buffalo’s 2nd line is superfun to watch. They look like they think they can score every shift.

Peterka-Cozens-Quinn.

20-21-21yos. I love it.

Damn Wings. OT loss to Dallas. They can go toe-to-toe with the best, just stuck at the hump of closing it out.

Husso playing great. Jonny Burgers looking good to start his career, about a .75ppg pace, great playmaker and high IQ. He’s been one of the better players bringing the puck in the O zone.

Raymond in that sophomore thing, handling the puck like it’s a grenade.

Chiarot constantly thinking he’s the Seider of the pairing is flat out painful.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Larkin (hand) out for tonight and re-evaluated today.

Ouch. Mounting injuries.

Larkin, Bert, Vrana, Fabbri...

not exactly the lightweights of the fwd roster. Yuck.

Last year we were close to the least man games lost in the NHL, had a team full of players exceeding expectations, and managed to win the division.

This year, we lose a top 4 D, games lost to our #1 and #2 D, losing our #1C and other minor stuff.

Shows how fragile a winning season can become with injuries.

At least DET has young guns ready to step in with the young guns out.  Ready, well that is really just opportunity.

Imagine EDM with a single injury to McD.

Instant lotto team.

40 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Last year we were close to the least man games lost in the NHL, had a team full of players exceeding expectations, and managed to win the division.

This year, we lose a top 4 D, games lost to our #1 and #2 D, losing our #1C and other minor stuff.

Shows how fragile a winning season can become with injuries.

At least DET has young guns ready to step in with the young guns out.  Ready, well that is really just opportunity.

Imagine EDM with a single injury to McD.

Instant lotto team.

Maata's on IR too. Detroit had a lot of additions this year, but not really similar to the Flames.

Perron, Kubalik, Chiarot, Maata, Husso.

Really helped with depth to push guys like Suter and Fabbri down to more suitable bottom 6. Guys like Marc Staal free to go to Fla.

Free of injury, the fwd lines may be

Vrana-Larkin-Raymond

Bert-Copp-Perron

Fqbbri-Veleno-Berggren

Soderstrom-Rasmussen-Sundqvist

Suter, Zadina

That's pretty decent.

If only injuries weren't piling up.

For the Flames, akin to losing

Lindholm, Toffoli, Mangia, Dube and maybe Hanifin thereabouts.

2/3s top line, a 2nd and 3rd liner and a top 4 dman.(Maata's been top pair with Hronek).

That's a ton. Their depth has been good enough to stay competitive, but yikes.

8 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Maata's on IR too. Detroit had a lot of additions this year, but not really similar to the Flames.

Perron, Kubalik, Chiarot, Maata, Husso.

Really helped with depth to push guys like Suter and Fabbri down to more suitable bottom 6. Guys like Marc Staal free to go to Fla.

Free of injury, the fwd lines may be

Vrana-Larkin-Raymond

Bert-Copp-Perron

Fqbbri-Veleno-Berggren

Soderstrom-Rasmussen-Sundqvist

Suter, Zadina

That's pretty decent.

If only injuries weren't piling up.

For the Flames, akin to losing

Lindholm, Toffoli, Mangia, Dube and maybe Hanifin thereabouts.

2/3s top line, a 2nd and 3rd liner and a top 4 dman.(Maata's been top pair with Hronek).

That's a ton. Their depth has been good enough to stay competitive, but yikes.

Yeah, not good.  But unless they were making a real run, better to falter now.

Pick up a top pick.