Wings, baby, Wings

conundrumed

Not a great opener vs weak MTL, Wings with the 3-0 win. 2 empty netters.

Great goalie battle.

That huge 3rd line of Soderblom-Rasmussen-Sundqvist looks really good. Combined for 2 goals and 6 pts.

3rd line…averaging 6’5”/220 lbs.

Soderblom just ripped a spot from training camp. We knew he might be really good at 6’8”, but damn…

He can skate like he’s 6’2”. 5 sog and a goal. Only Seider with 6 sog surpassed him for shots.

Welcome to my Wings thread.lol

Hockeytown. They really are. Peeps are excellent in my 100-odd visits.

It’s been a long, painful rebuild.

And Mickey Redmond is still the best in the business.

Should be a fun season.

15 hours ago, The_People1 said:

What does this mean?

Anything and everything from mental health to substance abuse. I believe it's a mandatory 30 day but not positive.

Hope he's okay. Hockey takes a backseat.

Wings F depth challenged early. Zadina, Soderblom are options, maybe call up Berggren. It's like the Flames losing Huberdeau and Mangiapane at the same time. 

It's a tough one.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Anything and everything from mental health to substance abuse. I believe it's a mandatory 30 day but not positive.

Hope he's okay. Hockey takes a backseat.

Wings F depth challenged early. Zadina, Soderblom are options, maybe call up Berggren. It's like the Flames losing Huberdeau and Mangiapane at the same time. 

It's a tough one.

Forgot about Kubalik. They played LA to the wire and lost 5-4 in OT with these lines:

Kubalik-Larkin-Raymond

Zadina-Copp-Perron

Soderblom-Rasmussen-Sundqvist

Erne-Veleno-Suter

Quick played really well.

Still early but 3-0-2.

Completely blew the Chicago game should be 4-0-1. The OT loss being to LA in an evenly matched game.

They’re fun to watch, even with Seider and Raymond starting slow. Kubalik taking full advantage of Bert and Vtana being out. Depth is everything rn, they’re using it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well Kubalik has shut me up. 7G (t-1st)/18pts (1st) for the Wings through 15 games. Not bad for $2.5 per.

Austin Czarnik is back.lol

Czarnik-Veleno-Berggren 3rd line.

He’ll lose that spot when Bertuzzi gets back soon.

Bert(Suter for now)-Larkin-Raymond

Kubalik-Copp-Perron

Suter(Czar)-Veleno-Berggren

Erne-Rasmussin-Sunny

Maata’s been a huge surprise. Really helped Hronek’s game, now their 1st pair.

Vrana hanging out with Kylington. No idea why, how or when.

Keep an eye on: Jonatan Berggren poolies. 1g/1a through his first 3 NHL games playing 3rd line and 2nd PP. 

High IQ RWer, good 2 way, gifted offensively. The Wings have said they won’t call him up to fill in short term. Here he is! I’m excited to see if he can sneak up the lineup/secure a full-time spot. PPG AHL player, already too good for that league.

Still on IR: Fabbri/Soderblom.

Not sure either bumps him if he keeps it up.

Was my dark horse for Calder this year.🤞

11 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Keep an eye on: Jonatan Berggren poolies. 1g/1a through his first 3 NHL games playing 3rd line and 2nd PP. 

High IQ RWer, good 2 way, gifted offensively. The Wings have said they won’t call him up to fill in short term. Here he is! I’m excited to see if he can sneak up the lineup/secure a full-time spot. PPG AHL player, already too good for that league.

Still on IR: Fabbri/Soderblom.

Not sure either bumps him if he keeps it up.

Was my dark horse for Calder this year.🤞

I know I'm a bit defeatist at times and am in this instance but wish I saw that kind of potential in our prospects. Good to see Ruzicka doing well. I hope he is capable of keeping it up and I am shut up. But a part of me wishes our coaching staff would have at least tried some of the guys like Phillips and Ruzicka with top six guys in camp. I don't believe that is gifting them anything if it clicks because it's about putting in work and clicking. Some guys skills Shine with other skill, or with unskilled or less skilled guys it can kill their game. 

I like hearing potential in some teams. I hated yzerman growing up, until he won his first cup and that was when I started seeing the greatness because of his consistency. I could see how much it meant to him and I got emotional because of that yet disliking him so much. I came to respect him, along with Burnaby Joe. 

i think building can be a crapshoot. But it looks like the wings are on a good track. Hell even Buffalo has finally starting to look better. 

I think the rebuild crew want the kind of build you're excited about. And if people have trust in BT then a rebuild could be done right, if he was at the helm....

but not going to happen. I hope we can continue to find players later in drafts. 

thanks for sharing. 

13 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Literally opposite ends of the spectrum with my fave teams. D and Buffalo are on skids. I truly think Detroit gets on a run. Lots of early injuries have sidetracked them.

I guess I hadn't seen what they're up to lately and looks like they've fallen again. But looks like they have young talent in Buffalo. 

It's good to see the Detroit take a step. 

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

The Athletic has Buffalo and Detroit ranked 1 & 2 in the NHL for prospect pools. Both teams are really trending in the right direction. Tons of great young talent for both teams. Lots of pain getting to this point.lol

Depth of prospects is a nice thing to worry about.

It's both a gift and a pain.

The pain part is trying to properly develop them and actually have the space for them when they start to hit the stride.

Key is having the right coach and GM not to jump too soon or too late.

The good thing is some of the bottom feeders are starting to be competitive again.

The easy wins or upsets are no longer the norm.

Would love to see TO take a step back and miss the playoffs.

TSN and SN might actually talk about something else than Leafs. 

Detroit has been addicted to big European Dmen and leaving them in the SEL. They just brought Johannson over to get used to rink size in the A, same as Edvinsson. Wallinder will be next year I think. Left Marco Kasper there as well. They definitely don't rush, although Seider and Raymond kicked the door down last year. Outside of that, they've shown great patience. Berggren isn't waiver eligible so could be sent down, but it's looking pretty unlikely. Zadina on LTIR, he's run out of real estate. He's become unnecessary. Soderblom could use some A seasoning still. He might turn out scary good.

Lots of promise in the ranks.

NOPE!

TSN believe hockey nation is Toronto Nation! When they were bad it was still all TO. 

I grew up liking the Leafs because of my dad loving them, and a small part of me would like to see them win it all. I prefer them over any other Canadian team, but the way media has been with them, even when terrible, it pushed me off the fan base and the media that covers them. 

Off of the losing streak with a 7-4 win in SJ to leapfrog Fla. 13 players on the scoresheet, here comes the depth.

8-5-4, 1 back of TBag. 2 back of Tdot with a game in hand. Happy with this start.

Berggren 3pts in 4 games to start his career. PPG AHL guy through a season and a bit after a slow, slow start.

Could it be translating?

Perron, Kubalik & Maata proving to be great adds, Walman fresh off IR.

Trying not to get too excited, but it's coming together.

4 game win streak. Satoshi Nakamoto's getting real.

20 games, 11-5-4.

Good for 3rd in the Atlantic. Leafs in 2nd by 3pts and the Wings 2 games in hand.

Raymond getting his footing as an elite player, Bertuzzi easing back in, Fabbri and Vrana still out.

Good D depth on the farm.

What is Husso doing? WOW. Decided he's the best goalie in the league?

Seider and Raymond got off really slow. I think that's over.

Fun watch when you've gotten used to horrible.

Stevie Y, I'm telling ya. For Chiarot's bad underlying numbers, they don't meet the eyetest. Maata's been a revelation in saving Hronek's career.

The moves in the offseason seriously got a, "really" from Wings fans. "It's too early". Now I'm not so sure. Now the fwd depth is good to excellent, D depth is already Johanson and Edvinsson in Grand Rapids, Wallinder crossing the pond from the SHL next year. Damn.

This is fun to watch.

Is this Ville Husso for real? Think Tristan Jarry.

23 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

@conundrumed  no more complaining from you about about rebuilds lol.

i was just thinking the same thing as I was coming to this thread. We don't advocate for a bad rebuild. We want one done right. Not one half assed and quickened.

if people believe in BT and his work, then they shouldn't fear one. 

I was thinking how great it would be to be excited by some young players with high end potential. 

we have some promising young players, and had a few we counted on but didn't pan out. Some still in waiting to take another step...

valimaki was a tough one. Dube has been ok but needs another step. We don't have the mix yet. 

• Like 1