Wings, baby, Wings

conundrumed

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Totally with you. I had to shrug or I’d rant.

Detroit’s youth have created a problem with returning bodies but also good there’s no reason to rush injury returns 

But all 3 have been better than Erne and Suter, so we’ll see.

But now they know with certainty whereas we may never until push comes to shove. Which could bite us.

push comes to shove is going to be them leaving, being ok NHLers on another team, but we will keep having to sign players to replace them, like Hathaway and Lomberg, Brodie, Byron, Forbort, and Gaudreau.

I'm just throwing names out I guess, but a few were rentals, some to worry about three goalies that never amounted to anything, but a few that I wish we handled better. 

they may not even amount to anything. I can't think of any prospects that were like, wow, we had that guy...

12 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

push comes to shove is going to be them leaving, being ok NHLers on another team, but we will keep having to sign players to replace them, like Hathaway and Lomberg, Brodie, Byron, Forbort, and Gaudreau.

I'm just throwing names out I guess, but a few were rentals, some to worry about three goalies that never amounted to anything, but a few that I wish we handled better. 

they may not even amount to anything. I can't think of any prospects that were like, wow, we had that guy...

You mean like Fox?

Gaureau was awesome as a prospect.

St. Louis?

I think the issue is we never really get to the point of them making the NHL unless they went directly there.

Mange was a great prospect, that has soured a bit this year.

Like Debrincat in junior.

But anyway, I get your pint.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

You mean like Fox?

Gaureau was awesome as a prospect.

St. Louis?

I think the issue is we never really get to the point of them making the NHL unless they went directly there.

Mange was a great prospect, that has soured a bit this year.

Like Debrincat in junior.

But anyway, I get your pint.

I wouldn't mind a pint actually lol!

Lomberg was a huge loss. You don't have to be a scorer to make a big difference.

Dude revs everybody up all of the time.

The bench erupts when he scores. He keeps everyone hyped right up all of the time.

He keeps everyone intense.

What does our play lack? Consistent intensity. If only we had a guy like that...

They call him Lomberghini.lol

When your stars see that kind of intensity from a lesser player, it motivates.

Every team needs one. He's very rare.

Bonus for the flow.lol

• Like 2

On 1/3/2023 at 1:11 PM, conundrumed said:

Vrana on waivers, damn. Maybe his issues are much larger?? No idea.

So on the waiver clear, do you think there's an unwritten rule where when something like this happens, none of the teams pick him?   

Like I can see the Flames being "cool, yeah, let him do that conditioning stint"...

But the Oilers, for sure Bettman would have to call them up, no?

"Look Ken.  I don't care about your history with Detroit and I don't care about the low standards of where you are now, just let the kid do his conditioning stint.  let's be honest substance abusers shouldn't be in your organisation, it's not exactly easy staying clean there"

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, jjgallow said:

So on the waiver clear, do you think there's an unwritten rule where when something like this happens, none of the teams pick him?   

Like I can see the Flames being "cool, yeah, let him do that conditioning stint"...

But the Oilers, for sure Bettman would have to call them up, no?

"Look Ken.  I don't care about your history with Detroit and I don't care about the low standards of where you are now, just let the kid do his conditioning stint.  let's be honest substance abusers shouldn't be in your organisation, it's not exactly easy staying clean there"

I do think it's a being respectful of the person issue. I get that it's a business, but making a waiver claim on a person fresh out of Player Assistance would be waaay too lowbrow. Trying to get over 1 thing and then having to pull up stakes and move would be extremely low conduct for a league that doesn't need that black eye.

I'm sure Stevie waived him knowing full well he wouldn't be claimed, and didn't waive him because he didn't want him anymore. Just part of the recovery process.

Vrana's looked happy in interviews, even in GR.

Unfortunately, too many had witless "hot takes".

This is exactly why BT will say zero about Kylington and had to stress, "it isn't drug-related".

Stevie was prolly smacking his head on the table. "Ahhh, I have to waive him to give him as much latitude as he needs and not pressure him. Here comes the internet".

As for Vrana, I hope he makes it back. Hockey-wise, he's a lethal sniper from anywhere. Him and Raymond on the PP in preseason looked other level.

As for the Wings, a 2C would finish it at forward all healthy. Copp's great, but he's our Backlund. Veleno will rise, but another year under his belt.

Lots of turnover to go.

Players available for trade, I would say:

Bertuzzi-r

Sundqvist-r

Kubalik

Zadina

Suter-r

Maata-r

Walman-r

r=rental

For the Flames, I'd target Sunny for 4 RW and PP2 for net front. Zadina for change of scenery. His 2-way game is better than expected and he has a cannon not utilized enough in Detroit. He's always been in a D first role on a bad team. And he's easily replaceable for where Detroit is.

These are low-level adds, but we don't have much to offer beyond picks.

I think BT is one of a few GMs that wouldn't get owned by Yzerman, but damn, we don't have much in trade.

And Sutter is maybe another factor in making new players blend in rather than being cast out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I do think it's a being respectful of the person issue. I get that it's a business, but making a waiver claim on a person fresh out of Player Assistance would be waaay too lowbrow. Trying to get over 1 thing and then having to pull up stakes and move would be extremely low conduct for a league that doesn't need that black eye.

I'm sure Stevie waived him knowing full well he wouldn't be claimed, and didn't waive him because he didn't want him anymore. Just part of the recovery process.

Vrana's looked happy in interviews, even in GR.

Unfortunately, too many had witless "hot takes".

This is exactly why BT will say zero about Kylington and had to stress, "it isn't drug-related".

Stevie was prolly smacking his head on the table. "Ahhh, I have to waive him to give him as much latitude as he needs and not pressure him. Here comes the internet".

As for Vrana, I hope he makes it back. Hockey-wise, he's a lethal sniper from anywhere. Him and Raymond on the PP in preseason looked other level.

As for the Wings, a 2C would finish it at forward all healthy. Copp's great, but he's our Backlund. Veleno will rise, but another year under his belt.

Lots of turnover to go.

Players available for trade, I would say:

Bertuzzi-r

Sundqvist-r

Kubalik

Zadina

Suter-r

Maata-r

Walman-r

r=rental

For the Flames, I'd target Sunny for 4 RW and PP2 for net front. Zadina for change of scenery. His 2-way game is better than expected and he has a cannon not utilized enough in Detroit. He's always been in a D first role on a bad team. And he's easily replaceable for where Detroit is.

These are low-level adds, but we don't have much to offer beyond picks.

I think BT is one of a few GMs that wouldn't get owned by Yzerman, but damn, we don't have much in trade.

And Sutter is maybe another factor in making new players blend in rather than being cast out.

Vrana strikes me as pure talent.   Problem with these guys is they can often perform at a high level for a few years with other destructive things going on in their lives. 

If he's able to get things in track he could be lethal for years to come.  

Yzerman really has been good.   I've seen a lot of respected former players not translate well to management,  but he sure has.   Often wondered if he had something like that here in Nieuwendyk or Conroy etc.

Vrana's been healthy-scratched for GR's last 2 games now. Still doing the PR stuff and having fun with teammates so not sure if his conditioning is too far behind for this year or what the story might be.

Current fwd lines:

Bert-Larkin-Raymond

Kubalik-Rasmussen-Perron

Fabbri-Copp-Berggren

Erne-Veleno-Sundqvist

Zadina

Getting close to really solid with Rasmussen progressing, Berggren and Veleno only getting better.

Need to get a lot better defensively as a group. When they're going on O, it's a full on assault at attacking the net. The Jets should have demolished them by the play, but those assaults on Hellebuyck kept leading to goals. Very fortunate to win that one. Follow it up with a 4-1 win vs the Leafs and we're witnessing the full model of inconsistency being the only consistency.lol

Leafs beat us 4-1 on our b2b, we beat them 4-1 on theirs. Need teams to help us close the Leafs window for now, we'll do it in about 2 years.

But we're entertaining and Mickey on the "ginger ale" is always fun-filled stories.

Seeing a lot of Perron now. He's a player the Flames really, REALLY should have went after. He'd be killer with Huberdeau and on a better all around team (for now). Our PP wouldn't be so dismal. It's wild how well he can protect the puck.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Why is Nedeljkovic on waivers according to Friedman.  

Cap Friendly lists it as a conditioning stint.

But that also how they sent Campbell down to the AHL.

Conditioning stint 2 weeks were up, so had to waive to keep him there. Hellberg is the current backup to Husso.

• 4 weeks later...

Oof, 6pts off the Caps with 3 games in hand. 5 off the Pens even in games, 4 back of FLA with 4 games in hand, even-steven with Buffalo.

Still, we'll be sellers. Interested if Vrana will get called up or moved. No end of rumours, probably all guesses.

3 game win streak heading to Edmonton, but a home and away vs Van prolly doesn't count.

Playing the crap out of Husso, great to see he can handle it. St. Loo kept the wrong goalie.

ex-Blues:

Husso

Fabbri

Walman

Perron

Sundqvist

They're our farm team.

Solid graduation for Jonny Burgers.

Kasper, Mazur, Soderblom fwd prospects.

Edvinsson, Johansson, Wallinder, Sebrango, McIsaac on D for likely NHL players.

Cossa, Gylander at G.

Buchelnikov, Lombardi, Hanas, Viro, Bulum in the shadows.

Looking decently competitive now, bright future, fun to watch.

Sneaking into the playoffs would be funny, doesn't matter though. No one has/had that expectation.

Lots of time to grow. Feel good for Larkin, parallels Stevie Y. Years of horrible team turns into a good team.

The East's powerhouses windows are going to start closing soon with NJ, Buffalo and Detroit taking over in the next couple years. NJ didn't draft Luke Hughes for being Jack's bro. I catch a fair bit of Michigan games. Damn is he good. Maybe better than Quinn. Can't wait to watch those 2 together.

In the meantime while the Flames continue to be horribly frustrating, young teams are fun to follow.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Playing the crap out of Husso, great to see he can handle it. St. Loo kept the wrong goalie.

ex-Blues:

Husso

I always hated the combo of Husso and STL.  Now I am just hating to see Husso.

We play the Wings the night after they face the Coilers, so I imagine Husso gets the start there.

Wonderful, another backup to beat us.

Teams should always start their unknown backups and guys looking for their 1st NHL goal.

We will help them out, even provide the white tape to wrap around the puck.

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Sorry, meant Chairot

Chiarot needs Sutter. He'd be worth $4.75 per. He's big, fast and physical. He needs to stay home.

Paired with Seider, now Hronek. Has cratered both for O stats. He's supposed to be stay at home protection for the partner with offensive flair but reverses the role, inexplicably. He makes pairing himself virtually impossible with that.

Hronek was fire with Maatta because Maatta is that role. Seider's stats ballooning with Walman because Walman plays responsibly.

Now Maatta HAS to 3rd pair with Oesterle/Lindstrom because Chiarot would make it a tire fire. Why they don't coach the rushing and bad pinches away from Chiarot is beyond me. It's not his role. He needs a Sutter coach.lol

With Edvinsson coming soon and Wallinder likely not far behind there is zero room for Chiarot to pretend that he's skilled offensively.

He tries to do too much, but nobody needs that. Do what Maatta does and he'd be fine.