Wings, baby, Wings

conundrumed

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Word is he wanted back in and was fine. Med staff kept him out as precautionary. Missed the game but saw the hit. Knocked the wind out of me just watching.lol

Thought he hit hard on the ice.  Didn't look good when they helped him off.

The hit was Zadorov like

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Thought he hit hard on the ice.  Didn't look good when they helped him off.

The hit was Zadorov like

It didn't. Looks like his visor cut him too. But yeah, back of the head slamming the ice looked bad. 

Memo to league, play your tough guy v Minny. Seider got Ericson-Ek from behind with an elbow to the head, no injury, but tit-for-tat can get scary.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

We remain hopeful.

All these guy want ever is to play.  He has to go through the protocol, so that is the test.

You never want to see a guy get a concussion and I do hope the effects don't linger.

Kylington came back way too quickly in my opinion last year.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

All these guy want ever is to play.  He has to go through the protocol, so that is the test.

You never want to see a guy get a concussion and I do hope the effects don't linger.

Kylington came back way too quickly in my opinion last year.

He's at full practice today. Larkin and Vrana(!!!) In no contact jerseys.

Vrana's been cleared by the league.

A couple more weeks for Bert and Fabbri, then we have too many NHL-capable forwards.

10 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

He's at full practice today. Larkin and Vrana(!!!) In no contact jerseys.

Vrana's been cleared by the league.

A couple more weeks for Bert and Fabbri, then we have too many NHL-capable forwards.

It must have been the in-game spotters and club medical staff that sat him out.

If it was really the procol, then he has about 4 days to go through it

22 hours ago, travel_dude said:

It must have been the in-game spotters and club medical staff that sat him out.

If it was really the procol, then he has about 4 days to go through it

Yup he's in v Ottawa. Looking good, just tied it 3-3 with a PP goal.

He's even better now after being embarrassed.lol By a guy that can't skate...

Both of my team's on 5 game skids by playing discombobulated hockey, so many similarities.

Every line is 3 players that don't play similar games, faceoff issues, bad/dumb passes, turnovers, weak PPs, zero vibe in the D end that they're playing team D. Fans annoyed by coaching...

Snap out of it everyone!

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Both of my team's on 5 game skids by playing discombobulated hockey, so many similarities.

Every line is 3 players that don't play similar games, faceoff issues, bad/dumb passes, turnovers, weak PPs, zero vibe in the D end that they're playing team D. Fans annoyed by coaching...

Snap out of it everyone!

The bad thing is we didn't get any practice time before the roadie to sort this crap out.

New lines are great if there is some kind of communication or chemistry out there.

Passes in the O zone going to the place where the player isn't.

Not hitting the tape on a simple pass.

Thinking that a pass on an odd man rush is a good thing, when you haven't completed any all game.

The skill is there once they get it.

But they control the puck for a shift and basically just toss it.

No turnover to a fresh player or line while they have it.

The PP looks like they need a vacation.

Standing around at the bar waiting to pass it or get a pass.

I guess when you're on a 6 game skid, you just need a Tampa game with Elliot in net.

Detroit hasn't really been particularly bad in the losing streak, but that hump thing to get over is still prominent.

Husso is making them look good, as they're near the league bottom for SOG/gm and mid-pack for SA.

Really wish Lalonde would separate the Seider-Chiarot pairing. Chiarot keeps rushing and pinching, which should be Seider, who is left to cover for Chiarot. Seider was fine, even with Oesterle. But now, Chiarot changes everything.

Raymond is a massive talent, but damn this year, he fights the puck in every facet. Can't even control a normal pass.

The sophomore slump is real with him, he's been awful. Had to ditch him in the pool, I've seen enough. Just awful. Need to get him off of PP1, all he does is turn the puck over from even the simplest of plays.

Onwards and, ummm, hopeful?

Honestly, some of the best cup runs have happened when a team goes through multiple key injuries, finds a way to make it work, and then the guys return fresh before the playoffs.   

IMHO I hope they don't rush any of them back, it could work in detroit's favor and I do love a good underdog story.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Honestly, some of the best cup runs have happened when a team goes through multiple key injuries, finds a way to make it work, and then the guys return fresh before the playoffs.   

IMHO I hope they don't rush any of them back, it could work in detroit's favor and I do love a good underdog story.

I get what you mean. I think it is good for development too, to have prospects thrown into that situation. If you only play prospects when games are meaningless, games are meaningless like preseason and they don't get the experience. Other teams take non-playoff teams lightly and so a call-up doesn't get in the real trenches. They might get a taste of the speed, but meaningful games are what I want for the prospects. It's why I prefer them to stay in the AHL if they're only going to sit when called up. 

but ya, Detroit could be doing their young favours by putting them in those situations. 

I wish Monahan and other injured players would sit so the prospects got a chance to play. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I get what you mean. I think it is good for development too, to have prospects thrown into that situation. If you only play prospects when games are meaningless, games are meaningless like preseason and they don't get the experience. Other teams take non-playoff teams lightly and so a call-up doesn't get in the real trenches. They might get a taste of the speed, but meaningful games are what I want for the prospects. It's why I prefer them to stay in the AHL if they're only going to sit when called up. 

but ya, Detroit could be doing their young favours by putting them in those situations. 

I wish Monahan and other injured players would sit so the prospects got a chance to play. 

Monahan is perhaps an extreme example and not one that a team typically goes through.

Your other points I agree with.

Phillips and Zoh were called up but the solution was not to really give him a shot.

Perhaps the lone penalty he took set off Sutter.

Whatever.  Coleman and Backlund have killed games with dumb penalties.

But I would go further and suggest that we don't wait for an injury to test a player.

We had 20 games where Kadri and Hiberdeau were sucking wind and not creating.

Move around the chess pieces.

Yet, we had 3 players in the AHL that could have brought something different.

A passer for Kadri's wing.

A C/RW when we had no other RW solutions.

A smaller sniper when we were missing the net.

Instead, rinse and repeat.

Nothing has changed other than Kadri and Hiberdeau are finding their range.

The lines still don't all play well on the same night.

We force Hubey to RW because they want Lucic on the wing.

We had top line with Ruzie performing well and a 4th line with Ritchie and Lucic putting up points.

Lucic was the only F in the entire lineup that was doing little.

Noteworthy was Lalonde was upfront about Berggren that he won't be getting called up to sit or for short term. If he gets called up he'll get a long look.

Then all of that stuff happened and Berggren recently moved up to 2nd line. 2nd unit PP, Lalonde wasn't lying and Berggren's looked pretty good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Monahan is perhaps an extreme example and not one that a team typically goes through.

Your other points I agree with.

Phillips and Zoh were called up but the solution was not to really give him a shot.

But I would go further and suggest that we don't wait for an injury to test a player.

We had 20 games where Kadri and Hiberdeau were sucking wind and not creating.

Move around the chess pieces.

Yet, we had 3 players in the AHL that could have brought something different.

A passer for Kadri's wing.

A C/RW when we had no other RW solutions.

A smaller sniper when we were missing the net.

Instead, rinse and repeat.

Nothing has changed other than Kadri and Hiberdeau are finding their range.

The lines still don't all play well on the same night.

We force Hubey to RW because they want Lucic on the wing.

We had top line with Ruzie performing well and a 4th line with Ritchie and Lucic putting up points.

Lucic was the only F in the entire lineup that was doing little.

👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

I think we all see it. Maybe Sutter has a plan. But I like your point and think some situations could be tried. But I don't necessarily think it's a Sutter thing only. Bennett was momentarily tried, and things all stayed status quo. 

Maybe it's an organizational philosophy why we see it with a young team like Detroit.

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Not going to lie, Man. I am furious about the Phillips callup. 18 minutes of ice is not enough to evaluate a highly skilled, albeit small player that is very likely going to be gone at the end of the season. If it were up to me, he would have been playing a big game in the ones against teams like SJ and Columbus. I didn't love the penalty (while they were on the PP to boot), but the solution isn't to bury him for it.

I have a lot of faith in our GM, but I think that our coach, and the sway that he reportedly has with the ownership of this team will be the downfall. I thought he sucked in 2009, and I think he sucks now.

Hopefully I'll eat my words on that, but hope is all I can do.

Love.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heartbreaker said:

Not going to lie, Man. I am furious about the Phillips callup. 18 minutes of ice is not enough to evaluate a highly skilled, albeit small player that is very likely going to be gone at the end of the season. If it were up to me, he would have been playing a big game in the ones against teams like SJ and Columbus. I didn't love the penalty (while they were on the PP to boot), but the solution isn't to bury him for it.

I have a lot of faith in our GM, but I think that our coach, and the sway that he reportedly has with the ownership of this team will be the downfall. I thought he sucked in 2009, and I think he sucks now.

Love.

Star Wars GIF

1 hour ago, Heartbreaker said:

Love.

The problem is that nobody calls out the coach for the decisions.  We win with Lucic in the top 6, so it must be the right choice.  Yet we had a 5-1 record to start the season and needed to make changes because we were winning where we maybe shouldn't have.  Immediately, we started on a losing streak losing 7 in a row. 

Valji asks about Phillips and is derided for such stupid talk.  Gets called up regardless, along with the big guy and the big guy gets games and minutes.  Not even a Flames prospect.  A waiver pickup.    At some point you need to see what you have.  I can wait on Wolf, but we have high performing prospects.  

18 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Love.

Totally with you. I had to shrug or I’d rant.

Detroit’s youth have created a problem with returning bodies but also good there’s no reason to rush injury returns 

But all 3 have been better than Erne and Suter, so we’ll see.

But now they know with certainty whereas we may never until push comes to shove. Which could bite us.

19 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Love.

Totally with you. I had to shrug or I’d rant.

Detroit’s youth have created a problem with returning bodies but also good there’s no reason to rush injury returns 

But all 3 have been better than Erne and Suter, so we’ll see.

But now they know with certainty whereas we may never until push comes to shove. Which could bite us.