2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

6 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I will agree with you that Jonny and Tkachuk were a big problem in the playoffs and while I may be sorry to see Jonny go for nothing, I am not sorry to see them move on.  I would have preferred better return earlier but they weren't doing us any playoff favors.

"The entire team" is too broad imho.   It works as a good slogan/motivator for players, but at the management level it's just used as an excuse for inaction.   Let's be honest our playoff record pretty clearly shows our problems run deeper than current players.    

to say " the entire team " is simply not fair to players like Backlund, Mangiapane, Vladar, Tanev, Zadarov, etc.

So yeah.  You don't just give the guys a pep talk after that lol.  You make changes.

We made changes with our forwards.   From short-term perspective, they were good changes.   But they put all our eggs in next year's basket.

Ok.    So everyone loved the changes we made with our forward lines.

But when we talk about improving our D, our G, we're like "nah we're good", after getting totally and completely blown out defensively by a team that got totally and completely blown out defensively?   All of  a sudden the rules change and it was a "team thing" and we sit on our hands?  Huh.

How dat gonna go?

I really do think people are selling Weegar short.. and I get it ..how many people here watch Florida games? I did watch quite a few just because I had so many in my pools..  if he were in a more exposed major center he'd be on the Norris ballot .. he does have Brodie like brain freezes from time to time yes . But overall he's a #1 shut down dman..with some offensive ability (some).. like an upgraded Tanev .. and that says a lot .

23 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I really do think people are selling Weegar short.. and I get it ..how many people here watch Florida games? I did watch quite a few just because I had so many in my pools..  if he were in a more exposed major center he'd be on the Norris ballot .. he does have Brodie like brain freezes from time to time yes . But overall he's a #1 shut down dman..with some offensive ability (some).. like an upgraded Tanev .. and that says a lot .

If he comes here and is our best defenceman, then that really was an incredibly amazing trade.   I will believe it when I see it.  

Until the Norris talk, all I have to go by is:

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

If he comes here and is our best defenceman, then that really was an incredibly amazing trade.   I will believe it when I see it.  

Until the Norris talk, all I have to go by is:

Meh, Every player has plays they wish they had back regardless of their level of skill. SOmeone does 99 things right and nothing 1 thing wrong and its the only thing people remember. Facts are we are in a far better position now than 5 Weeks ago. Some may disagree but IMHO we are better in net than most and deeper defensively than last year. We have 3 soild 200 ft centers, which is only going to assit the D and the Goalies. We have gotten bigger, a little faster thats a positive as well. I do not think for a minute Pelts makes the roster, I still belive we need to shed Lucic from the roster it not he is the 13th guy for unless needed. There is talk about Milano, Kessel or Rodrigues. One or a combination of either should or could be a boost on offensive side of thing. Kessel has won a cup Age is what concerns me, Milano not sure what the issue is but young Anaheim team not extending him, kind of a huge red flag. The safe bet for us it Rodirues. The Flames get Rodrigues and Milano on cheap contracts could be the offensive boost cheap. Kessel on a crap team with 54 points should not be over looked, he is a playmaker that is what we need. Milano is going to have a chip on his shoulders as well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Yup Norris Trophy winners or candidates never makes mistakes. 

oh wait....

Yup..and it's always a highlight reel lol been trying to find another Weegar one from this year's playoffs .. had his back to the shooter covering the man behind the net and the shooter was left basically with the goalie one on one... It happens 

It's like when everybody rides Smith for his puck handling mistakes.. they were overlook the many great plays he made .. but the errors make headlines.

Or TJ Brodie ..he was a great dman here ..made many great plays..but when he had a brain freeze it made the highlight reels 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

I really do think people are selling Weegar short.

Yup. 

20-21 season Weegar finished 8th in Norris trophy voting. Finished 14th last year. Hardly scientific but then there are these player cards:

again not trying to say this guy is gospel but Weegar is well throughout of too

Hand in hand with we absolutely raped FLA for Tkachuk.

We took 2 of their best 5 players, absolute max at 5, likely 4, got a great young prospect C and a future 1st.

That, my friends, is a spanking. Fla is going to reel from this one, I have zero doubt. That's a massive mistake. But thanks.lol

We're looking A LOT better than last year. What a monumental swing this offseason has been.

I love it. This architecture looks better than last year. Way better.

As @cross16 has said before, it will take time to gel, but I think we'll love the outcome.

Stastney to Carolina on a $1.5 contract. Perfect. Go there.

Rodrigues too, Milano, Kessel etc, go elsewhere. We don't need any of that.

Ruzicka and Pelletier are way better options in the now. Get them going.

I don't know people, are we just gonna play in the mud? We have 8 roster players over 30.

Greaaat, experience, sure. We need 2 of Pelletier, Rozie, Vali, Phillips to grab a spot.

The effing kids (e.g. Anaheim) will run right over us with us being older players. We need some young players in the mix that have played with or against these young players. They're changing the game. Need some semblance of staying current.

I want no one in UFA currently.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Stastney to Carolina on a $1.5 contract. Perfect. Go there.

Rodrigues too, Milano, Kessel etc, go elsewhere. We don't need any of that.

Ruzicka and Pelletier are way better options in the now. Get them going.

I don't know people, are we just gonna play in the mud? We have 8 roster players over 30.

Greaaat, experience, sure. We need 2 of Pelletier, Rozie, Vali, Phillips to grab a spot.

The effing kids (e.g. Anaheim) will run right over us with us being older players. We need some young players in the mix that have played with or against these young players. They're changing the game. Need some semblance of staying current.

I want no one in UFA currently.

I wouldn't mind Rodrigues, I think he would be a really good fit. I also think Sutter isn't going to give guys like Pelletier a chance until he shows he is consistent at both ends of the ice. He has talked about guys playing in the NHL too early in the past.

I also wouldn't mind adding someone like Cody Eakin or Sam Steel just to add some depth.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I wouldn't mind Rodrigues, I think he would be a really good fit. I also think Sutter isn't going to give guys like Pelletier a chance until he shows he is consistent at both ends of the ice. He has talked about guys playing in the NHL too early in the past.

I also wouldn't mind adding someone like Cody Eakin or Sam Steel just to add some depth.

I'd like to take a swing at Sam Steel as well.  Former 1st round pick and WHL star.  Not sure why it didn't work out in ANA (was it injuries?)... But he could be a rewarding reclamation project if he regains his draft trajectory.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I'd like to take a swing at Sam Steel as well.  Former 1st round pick and WHL star.  Not sure why it didn't work out in ANA (was it injuries?)... But he could be a rewarding reclamation project if he regains his draft trajectory.

We have seen numerous 1st rounders never make it past the AHL some to injury and some just can't hack what it takes I think we had a first just walk away because he was unable to have what it takes. On a sad note we lost a player who passed away can't remember why but a sad day for all.

56 minutes ago, zima said:

We have seen numerous 1st rounders never make it past the AHL some to injury and some just can't hack what it takes I think we had a first just walk away because he was unable to have what it takes. On a sad note we lost a player who passed away can't remember why but a sad day for all.

Love.

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I am with you on Rodrigues I would even look at Milano as well. Milano maybe a long short but one would think he has to get some form of spur under his saddle to prove teams wrong. 

3 hours ago, zima said:

TBH, I thought you were talking about Mickey Renaud....

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/renaud-will-be-missed-never-forgotten/c-454028

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I hear Sutter saying that achieving in the AHL is different than the NHL.  I know he said that early on, about 1/2 way through I think.  The fact that the kid did the same thing day after day and into the playoffs says something.  Sutter will look at him in camp and develop and opinion then.  But he's not going to just toss him on the 4th line.  He's a top 6 talent and need to play at least on a 3rd line.

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I hear Sutter saying that achieving in the AHL is different than the NHL.  I know he said that early on, about 1/2 way through I think.  The fact that the kid did the same thing day after day and into the playoffs says something.  Sutter will look at him in camp and develop and opinion then.  But he's not going to just toss him on the 4th line.  He's a top 6 talent and need to play at least on a 3rd line.

I'm thinking Pelletier will change his mind.