2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

1 minute ago, LouCifer said:

There’s some speculation online (no hard source) that Detroit may be trying to acquire Barzal. 

That sounds very much like a Stevie Y move, shore up C with Larkin and Barzal. He’s already got the beasts on d. And goalie seems under control for a long time. 

18 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

That sounds very much like a Stevie Y move, shore up C with Larkin and Barzal. He’s already got the beasts on d. And goalie seems under control for a long time. 

Well, if Barzal is available… BT needs to be in on it, and Hanifin is (like it or not) a key piece for that trade. It would be horrible optics for the organization if NYI traded away Bailey or Beaullivier this year to keep Barzal, only to have him want out as an RFA after this season. Don’t sleep on the underlying narrative at play here, especially after they got burned by Tavares. Also, 

Also, maybe Lamorello wants to get younger, and would look at Dube + Valimaki + Pick for Barzal

Edit - found a video discussing this

39 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Well, if Barzal is available… BT needs to be in on it, and Hanifin is (like it or not) a key piece for that trade. It would be horrible optics for the organization if NYI traded away Bailey or Beaullivier this year to keep Barzal, only to have him want out as an RFA after this season. Don’t sleep on the underlying narrative at play here, especially after they got burned by Tavares. Also, 

Also, maybe Lamorello wants to get younger, and would look at Dube + Valimaki + Pick for Barzal

Both Dube and Valimaki will be 24 by the start of the season whereas Barzal will be 25.  I would think by this time every team has their own younger cheaper version of Dube and Valimaki, you really can't sell their upside anymore.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

that would be a great number if true..

Nothing even remoely supporting this rumor.  

But, 6.75 is a bit high.

Who am I to judge it really.

Get the player signed and finish off the off-season.

Trades and signing have more to do with this year's cap.

At the moment, we have $10M to the two new guys for this year.

ONe of those is a position we had depth in.

He can for sure drop people down from top pair.

But we have to look at the idea of paying almost $5M for a 2nd pair guy.

Where we already have $4.5M for Tanev.

Just saying.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Weegar signed 6 x $6.75M

EDIT - please take with a grain of salt.  I saw it reposted thinking it was SN, but it wasn't.

the guy who tweeted that also said the Flames had signed Kadri in July and has 11 followers. 

Looks very made up. 

27 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Both Dube and Valimaki will be 24 by the start of the season whereas Barzal will be 25.  I would think by this time every team has their own younger cheaper version of Dube and Valimaki, you really can't sell their upside anymore.

You’ve identified NYI’s exact problem.
They have no youth, and if they are considering trading Barzal, they would be wise to acquire additional youth into their lineup.

Also, I’m not selling NYI on Dube or Valimaki’s upside at all. Remember, NYI is trying to reduce salary so they can sign Kadri and Dobson

Dube and Valimaki = $2.3M + $1.55M = $3.85m Total. Barzal is $7m cap. That gives NYI an additional $3.15m in cap space. Hanifin, would give them $2.05m in cap space. 

Also, just saw Pavel Zacha signed in Boston and they are now over the cap with the Bergeron and Kreici signings. Their roster is also 24/23 according to capfriendly. Zacha only signed for 1 year and will be a UFA at season’s end. I wonder if Boston is nostalgic enough to send Zacha and Nosek to us for Looch. I must be dreaming lol. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

the guy who tweeted that also said the Flames had signed Kadri in July and has 11 followers. 

Looks very made up. 

He may indeed be right about the numbers, but there is no basis in fact he reported it from.  Not even an Eklund rumor.  

2 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

They have no youth, and if they are considering trading Barzal, they would be wise to acquire additional youth into their lineup.

Also, I’m not selling NYI on Dube or Valimaki’s upside at all. Remember, NYI is trying to reduce salary so they can sign Kadri and Dobson

Dube and Valimaki = $2.3M + $1.55M = $3.85m Total. Barzal is $7m cap. That gives NYI an additional $3.15m in cap space. Hanifin, would give them $2.05m in cap space. 

Also, just saw Pavel Zacha signed in Boston and they are now over the cap with the Bergeron and Kreici signings. Their roster is also 24/23 according to capfriendly. Zacha only signed for 1 year and will be a UFA at season’s end. I wonder if Boston is nostalgic enough to send Zacha and Nosek to us for Looch. I must be dreaming lol. 

There may be a limited market for either Loch or Monahan, but I won't hold my breath.  Lucic is playing his last year and it's fitting for him to be the toughie here.  I don't think he's got a full grind season here left in him.  He may actually be okay in sitting out a few games because we have all-in guys and two less "play when they want" types.  Just saying, the two that left appeared at times to give up.  Maybe it was just they got tired of being the only ones scoring, but it's an impression.

NYI is running out of teams that would be able to take on players.  I don't see the value of selling your young players that want to stay, for one guy that doesn't seem to want to.  If there is a deal to be had, we should be in on it.  If it started with Hanifin, I would not be that bothered.  We lose depth while getting a 2C.  Allows us to set up a 2nd scoring line.

32 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He may indeed be right about the numbers, but there is no basis in fact he reported it from.  Not even an Eklund rumor.  

true, and lets be serious.. we know the real announcement wont happen til 11Pm on a Thursday lol

37 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

It's a slightly younger player who is not close to the same caliber, and another who may not even be an NHLer.  Better ways to go younger than to trade your best player that is 25 or younger, for slightly younger spare parts.  I don't know what value Valimaki has period, and Dube I would think won't be going anywhere until the HC stuff is cleared up.

9 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

A barzel trade would be something to this extent IMHO or something very similar to this. He is going to get very similar return as Chucky did.

NYI 

Lindholm, Tanev Zary and 1st 

CGY 

Barzel

I'm not sure if you can line up the values of Tkachuk and Barzal.

Besides, you can't make a deal like that in the real world.

NY can't take on $9M and send out just $7M.

Every other proposal mentioned sends them less $$, allowing them to sign Kadri and their two young stars.

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

A barzel trade would be something to this extent IMHO or something very similar to this. He is going to get very similar return as Chucky did.

NYI 

Lindholm, Tanev Zary and 1st 

CGY 

Barzel

Nah.  I believe Lindholm straight up could get Barzal.  Just consider the contracts for a second.  Barzal could take a 1-year QO at $10-mil and go UFA.

Stat wise, based on recency bias, NYI would have to add a 2nd round pick, if not a 1st.  40-goal scorer and Selke nominations.  Lindholm has emerged as a real deal.

Barzal is not a unicorn player like Tkachuk either.

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

Can someone explain what a unicorn player is?

The way they talked about Tkachuk was a very young guy that could shoot, pass, hit, punch, annoy and still get a point per game average.   Describes more than one player IMHO.  But, it's also a rare breed.  Whether he is that player in FLA remains to be seen.

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Nicolas Roy signed 5 x $3M in Vegas.

Wonder who they will get rid of now?

First Crouse (who got overpaid, I think), now Roy. That’s exactly the deal I would’ve offered him. I also think they’re technically $2m (roughly) under the cap once Webers LTIR kicks in.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

NY can't take on $9M and send out just $7M.

Every other proposal mentioned sends them less $$, allowing them to sign Kadri and their two young stars.

Exactly TD. I think somewhere along the way some people forgot that NYI is in a pickle 🤷🏻‍♂️ Here’s a refresher:

- Barzal is an RFA at the end of next season. His cap hit is $7M but he’s making $10M in actual salary this season

- Because of the above, Barzal (like Tkachuk) could take a 1 year x $10M contract and then walk away (Tavares part 2). Giving NYI nothing in return 

- Any team acquiring Barzal has to have the cap space and an ownership that is willing to pay $10M in actual salary, plus the acquiring team would require talking to Barzal’s agent to ensure he could be extended - or no trade happens. (AFAIK, he can sign a contract for less than $10M AAV with the acquiring team - this is why a conversation must be had prior to trade)

Yes, NYI could trade Beaullivier or Bailey to create more cap space for Kadri, Dobson, and the other kid, but let’s say they do that and Barzal still wants out of NYI at the end of the season? The GM would definitely lose his job. That scenario can’t happen to NYI, again. 

NYI would likely be interested in Hanifin. Hanifin + something for Barzal could be a win for NYI in the eyes of the fans, because they get a good young LD coming off his best season, and then they can sign Kadri for no assets, only cash. NYI has to take on less than Barzal’s $7M cap to make space for Kadri. Optics become: Barzal out, Kadri + Hanifin in. 

I suggested Dube and Valimaki + something else not because of the value or comparables to Barzal. I suggested it because Lamorello recently acquired Romanov from MTL so adding another young 1st round defenseman may be what he’s looking for. I also suggested it because Dube’s natural position is C and Lamorello may like that Dube can slot in on multiple forward positions. Especially since he’s trading away a C. Optics become: Barzal out - Kadri, Dube, Valimaki + pick in. 4 pieces which almost give a similar look to what we got for Chucky. 

If Lamorello has any indication that Barzal isn’t going to remain an Islander, he needs to avoid Tavares 2.0 at all costs. 

20 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

First Crouse (who got overpaid, I think), now Roy. That’s exactly the deal I would’ve offered him. I also think they’re technically $2m (roughly) under the cap once Webers LTIR kicks in.

🤔 But with Roy they only have 11 forwards signed… I see Nolan Patrick is on IR so is he their 12th forward? They also haven’t signed Hague… can someone explain to me if Vegas is in a situation where they need to trade somebody or if Weber’s contract gives them “God mode”?

1 hour ago, LouCifer said:

🤔 But with Roy they only have 11 forwards signed… I see Nolan Patrick is on IR so is he their 12th forward? They also haven’t signed Hague… can someone explain to me if Vegas is in a situation where they need to trade somebody or if Weber’s contract gives them “God mode”?

The simple answer is they can sign about $2.5M more.

Hague not signed.

12F including Patrick.

2G signed inclueding Brossoit.

Where it gets difficult is the date that the goalie and NP can come back.

Either Karlsson or Marshmallow will get traded.

I don't see how they can have a full roster or even close to it.

11 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The simple answer is they can sign about $2.5M more.

Hague not signed.

12F including Patrick.

2G signed inclueding Brossoit.

Where it gets difficult is the date that the goalie and NP can come back.

Either Karlsson or Marshmallow will get traded.

I don't see how they can have a full roster or even close to it.

Thanks TD. If Marshmellow = Marchessault, he’d be a pretty nice add. Right shot RW who plays well in both the reg season as well as playoffs. Smaller player, but tenacious.