Playoffs GDT - FLAMES @ Oilers - Sun 22 May 2022

rocketdoctor

We’ll..I just witnessed that in person. It’s much different seeing the game transpire with full ice in view. Flames are in trouble. Oilers have better positioning , better sticks and checking than us right right. Flames shot selection is horrid. But Oilers are actually doing a good job playing as a unit. Trust me. This was a traumatic experience for me but from what I saw the Flames are going to have to play a near perfect 60 Mins game to win tie this up. They are in Markys head at this point, just really poor line changes and the overall battle of the Flames wasn’t there tonight. Tough road game. Even tougher to watch as a Flames fan at Rogers Place. Breaking the shutout was the only positive  

Just finished watching the game.

We need Tanev back fast or this series is done in 5 and we are going golfing.  Our D is in shambles and even players like Yamamoto and Hyman are successfully pulling off spinnerammas uncontested.  McDavid is having a hay day and giving the rest of his team confidence to do the same.  They are slicing right through our D like we're not even there.  It wasn't just McDavid tonight.  The 2nd and 3rd Oiler lines had sustained pressure in our zone all night.  It wouldn't matter who's in goal.  There's no chance.

And on the goals, Hyman goes post-in.  The Kane hattrick can't blame Markstrom as all three were 2-on-1s and the pass came across to Kane in close.  I felt Markstrom played well especially in the 1st period where the Oilers outshot us like 17-9 or something.  Those goals, it would've been nice if he made two or three robberies but that's asking so much.  How about don't give up 2-on-1s to the Oilers top line?  That would really help.  Again, our blueline is totally exposed without Tanev.  It doesn't matter which pairing... McDavid is just absorbing the hit and rolling right off.

As for our forwards, it felt like as the game went on and the time started ticking, we turned into individuals.  Everyone trying to do it all by themselves and not passing.  I was saying in the previous game thread that Mike Smith is in our heads.  He was so easy in game 1 that he has us thinking it would be that easy the rest of the way.  We are just launching prayers at the net hoping he would screw up instead of working the puck around like we can.

That Lucic/Smith hit was just plain wrong.  I don't know if he was frustrated and did it on purpose but that's just against the code.  No one was nearby and he skates right through Smith.  That's just asking for someone to run Markstrom next game.

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I personally think any consideration of Vladar is silly. 

Markstrom should start and will start. 

You'd prefer it if we're down 3-1 in a possible knock out game ?

Vladar best some great teams this year..he's no slouch 

I say if you're gonna shake it do it now . Worst case , were still down 3-1 and Marky gets a rest and a recharge .. best case we tie it up and Marky gets the ball back for a best of 3 

4 minutes ago, Carty said:

I would have pulled Markstrom well before he finally did...   I'm an old goalie, and I get it no one likes getting pulled, but I think Markstrom needs a bit of a jolt a jolt to reset, and just a regular a day off between games is not going to do it...

I missed Vladar staring the 3rd.  Had the sound off due to the SN yapping.

Unless there is something Sutter has noticed, there is not a great time to start Vladar.

That's perhaps 3-1 territory.

But I don't know.

Defensively, we haven't been sharp since game 7.

I don't think a goalie change gets you much if you give them 2- 1 for PP's.

Lewis is smarter than that, but Sutter is rolling the dice with Lucic out there for any length of time.

He can hold his own against 3 lines, but not a loaded up top line.

Too slow to react and they make questionable reads.

You have to recognize when the top line is gassed and throw the Lucic line out there.

Burn minutes, but do is smart.

We took two penaties because we rolled 4 lines.

Against some eams that's okay.

Not against a team that rolls 3 lines.

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I say if you're gonna shake it do it now . Worst case , were still down 3-1 and Marky gets a rest and a recharge .. best case we tie it up and Marky gets the ball back for a best of 3 

I agree 100%....although if Vladar starts the next game and they win it with a solid performance from Vladar, Marky is sitting down the rest of the series.

It's a lot to ask Vladar to come in and mop the mess up.

Marky wasn't great in game one and half of game 2.

Husso couldn't stop the bleeding in STL, so I don't think we get magic going there.

More likely to see a Marky shutout than a Vladar win.

You pull Marky this next game, there's no coming back.

Exactly what the Oilers want.

I want better out of our goalie, but you can't expect to go 55 minutes without scoring and win.

Doesn't matter who is in there.

We got jobbed in game 2 and stunk up game 3.

It happens.

Get the crap worked out.

Markstrom played great tonight guys.  I think had he played this well in game 2, then we would've won.  On all three Kane goals, how about the D play the pass and let Markstrom play the shot?  Can't blame the goalie when the pass comes across the net and then becomes a mini-breakaway in close.  Our D is just not defending well.

We have to go back to Markstrom next game.

17 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I have no reason to believe that playing Vadar increases their chances of winning  so go with the better goalie and the guy who got you here. 

playing Vladar has no logic to it. It’s a “let’s try it and see what works” type of choice and j see no reason to do that. 

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Markstrom played great tonight guys.  I think had he played this well in game 2, then we would've won.  On all three Kane goals, how about the D play the pass and let Markstrom play the shot?  Can't blame the goalie when the pass comes across the net and then becomes a mini-breakaway in close.  Our D is just not defending well.

We have to go back to Markstrom next game.

Oh 100%..  to be clear I'm not pinning this on Markstrom one bit.. I'm just saying we play different.  I think he plays so well we take chances and rely on him to bail them out . But in this case Edmonton has his number and makes no mistakes 

He had probabaly his best game of the series and they still got 4 on him cuz we hung him out to dry . Every goalie has a weakness and Edmonton knows how to exploit his 

Throw em a curve i say 

We are literally witnessing one of the greatest individual playoff performances in NHL history.  They said McDavid was the fastest to hit 20-points in the playoffs since Mario Lemieux.  I mean, maybe Lucic had the right idea there.  I dunno.  Turn the series into something other than hockey and maybe we have a chance.

The Flames didn’t even trust Vladar to start back to backs against the Coyotes.

To think they aren’t starting Markstrom is a waste of energy.

On balance the Flames haven’t had good enough goaltending. Tonight however it was far from a concern. If you’re gonna give up 5+ odd man rushes, you’re gonna allow goals 

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I missed Vladar staring the 3rd.  Had the sound off due to the SN yapping.

Unless there is something Sutter has noticed, there is not a great time to start Vladar.

That's perhaps 3-1 territory.

But I don't know.

Defensively, we haven't been sharp since game 7.

I don't think a goalie change gets you much if you give them 2- 1 for PP's.

Lewis is smarter than that, but Sutter is rolling the dice with Lucic out there for any length of time.

He can hold his own against 3 lines, but not a loaded up top line.

Too slow to react and they make questionable reads.

You have to recognize when the top line is gassed and throw the Lucic line out there.

Burn minutes, but do is smart.

We took two penaties because we rolled 4 lines.

Against some eams that's okay.

Not against a team that rolls 3 lines.

I should have added to help clarify why I said what I did...   Sometime trying to keep it short does not work very well...

The main reason the Flames are behind in the series is sloppy play in the D-zone...

Markstrom has been good enough to mask that when it has happened more often than not throughout the season...

But now Tanev is still out, which not only has taken away one of our best D that can deal with the speed and skill players...   But absolutely screws up the D pairings that strongly contributed to the success the team has had so far...   They need to adapt to the changes better...   The play in the D-zone has been mediocre or worse all to often for the last few games...   It has to improve greatly for the team to move forward, and they need to figure it out...

Markstrom has been hung out to dry all to often by bad D-zone coverage...   and that will get any goalie rattled sooner or later...   He just needs a bit of a re-set, and the rest of team needs to learn not to depend on Markstrom to cover up their mistakes as much as they have become used to...

10 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Oh 100%..  to be clear I'm not pinning this on Markstrom one bit.. I'm just saying we play different.  I think he plays so well we take chances and rely on him to bail them out . But in this case Edmonton has his number and makes no mistakes 

He had probabaly his best game of the series and they still got 4 on him cuz we hung him out to dry . Every goalie has a weakness and Edmonton knows how to exploit his 

Throw em a curve i say 

Nah, if anything I want us to play like Game 1.  Let McDavid have his 4-points-per.  We go score 9.  That's a better curve to throw... like we abandon defense and go all out offense.

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I have no reason to believe that playing Vadar increases their chances of winning  so go with the better goalie and the guy who got you here. 

playing Vladar has no logic to it. It’s a “let’s try it and see what works” type of choice and j see no reason to do that. 

Maybe cuz Edm is one of his worst opponents career wise ,  this year he has an .884 % and a GAA close to 4?

Looks hes a Vezina finalist for a reason.. but they own him ..

Vladar beat good teams this year .. Washington , Colorado .. etc .. this isnt a crapshoot.. they game plan for Markstrom,  Pull a last minute switch like they did with Stone against Dallas, they have literally never seen Vladar .. i think you steal a game

Vladar CAN steal this series and at the same time it gives Markstrom a chance to rest up for the Avalanche, its a win win!  Honestly this isn't Markstrom's fault, he definitely has been hung out to dry, but putting in Vladar will mess with their heads.

41 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Maybe cuz Edm is one of his worst opponents career wise ,  this year he has an .884 % and a GAA close to 4?

Looks hes a Vezina finalist for a reason.. but they own him ..

Vladar beat good teams this year .. Washington , Colorado .. etc .. this isnt a crapshoot.. they game plan for Markstrom,  Pull a last minute switch like they did with Stone against Dallas, they have literally never seen Vladar .. i think you steal a game

It's a good conversation to have. It's not like we don't have a great tandem.

Markstrom's still backing.

I'm 50-50 on the idea. Look at Oettinger, he just needed a chance. Vladar's been good, Half of me thinks, "give him a stage", while the other half likes Markstrom a lot.

It's a close call for me.

1 hour ago, Carty said:

I should have added to help clarify why I said what I did...   Sometime trying to keep it short does not work very well...

The main reason the Flames are behind in the series is sloppy play in the D-zone...

Markstrom has been good enough to mask that when it has happened more often than not throughout the season...

But now Tanev is still out, which not only has taken away one of our best D that can deal with the speed and skill players...   But absolutely screws up the D pairings that strongly contributed to the success the team has had so far...   They need to adapt to the changes better...   The play in the D-zone has been mediocre or worse all to often for the last few games...   It has to improve greatly for the team to move forward, and they need to figure it out...

Markstrom has been hung out to dry all to often by bad D-zone coverage...   and that will get any goalie rattled sooner or later...   He just needs a bit of a re-set, and the rest of team needs to learn not to depend on Markstrom to cover up their mistakes as much as they have become used to...

I get ya.  Not arguing with the logic of a reset, but I don't know that there is time now.

If anything, it should have been last game as soon as the game was tied up.

At the latest, the shorty.

But there was reason to believe he could make 2 more saves.

Marky has not made a good one on one save in some time.

Maybe there was one, but it seems that a breakaway is a sure goal.

It might be him backing into the net istead of being aggresive.

Whatever it is, he looks tiny.

No desperation svae.

I don't know if you can fix this thing by switching the goalie.

Marky's had the team's back but they didn't do the same.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

We are literally witnessing one of the greatest individual playoff performances in NHL history.  They said McDavid was the fastest to hit 20-points in the playoffs since Mario Lemieux.  I mean, maybe Lucic had the right idea there.  I dunno.  Turn the series into something other than hockey and maybe we have a chance.

Et tu Brute?...   You shouldn't lose faith that easily...   It was game 3, in Edmonchuck, with piss poor refs, not as bad as last game, but still worse than even being mediocre...

The Flames will win the next one...

and if Looch was going to get a 5 minute misconduct anyways, he might as well have run Smith full freight train instead  making an effort not to...   That's the message there...

Sutter answered a question at the end of the presser that I didn't catch.  It was after they asked why they started Vladar in the 3rd.  He said something like Vladr was in and Marky out.  I doubt he was talking about next game, but hard to tell with the question impossible to hear.

3 minutes ago, Carty said:

Et tu Brute?...   You shouldn't lose faith that easily...   It was game 3, in Edmonchuck, with piss poor refs, not as bad as last game, but still worse than even being mediocre...

and if Looch was going to get a 5 minute misconduct anyways, he might as well have run Smith full freight train instead  making an effort not to...   That's the message there...

That was a joke call.  It was only because of the score and who the goalie was.  Nothing else.

Nothing for Kadri?

But, hey lets throw the book at Lucic for stopping up and Smith being a Double Spend.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Sutter answered a question at the end of the presser that I didn't catch.  It was after they asked why they started Vladar in the 3rd.  He said something like Vladr was in and Marky out.  I doubt he was talking about next game, but hard to tell with the question impossible to hear.

No he was aksed waht he said to Marky after the 2nd. 

5 minutes ago, Carty said:

+1

I didn't like the game, but this love affair the crew has with him has to end.

He was given the ice on a silver platter.

In previous games the refs decided you are not to touch him or his line.

One badly called game and we went tied into YEG.

The refs f'd this series up from the beginning.

I have far more faith the Oilers will mess it up.

They got cocky in game 2.

They used it in game 3, but they think they are invincible.