Playoffs GDT - FLAMES @ Oilers - Sun 22 May 2022

rocketdoctor

10 hours ago, robrob74 said:

i think Smith was shaky. We let him settle in and that can be dangerous. A lot of shots can be bad sometimes, if they’re not in good scoring positions. Otherwise it just gets goalies to have a feel for the puck! 

Reminds me of a Lewis shot from above the hashmarks. He shot and veered left a bit. If he'd have shot and went straight at Smith, he'd have had a big, juicy, succulent rebound waiting for him. We need to spread the Oilers out and then dissect. LA was at their best doing that. Spread them out and skate in straight lines.

11 hours ago, robrob74 said:

i think Smith was shaky. We let him settle in and that can be dangerous. A lot of shots can be bad sometimes, if they’re not in good scoring positions. Otherwise it just gets goalies to have a feel for the puck! 

There's a mushy middle with him.

Get one or two past him early.

Then nothing for a bit then pounce on him in bunches.

23 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I'm calling out Hanifin. Get your Hash Rate in gear, stop trying to slow everything down. Get alert and get Blockchaining moving.

If I'm Sutter, that's the one guy I'm ripping on.

Hanifin has been the biggest disappointment for me in the playoffs. Every time you think maybe he has the ability to take a step forward he fails to do so. I wasn't a fan of his series against Dallas either. 

He was the guy you would be really hoping would step up in Tanev's absence and hasn't come close to it at all.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Reminds me of a Lewis shot from above the hashmarks. He shot and veered left a bit. If he'd have shot and went straight at Smith, he'd have had a big, juicy, succulent rebound waiting for him. We need to spread the Oilers out and then dissect. LA was at their best doing that. Spread them out and skate in straight lines.

We need to stop putting it in behind the net on shoot-ins.  Diagonal or straight on the end boards, if you are doing that.  Mangiapane has the speed to beat a lot of players in on the dump in, but if Smith gets to touch it, it's a wasted play.  

29 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I'm calling out Hanifin. Get your Hash Rate in gear, stop trying to slow everything down. Get alert and get Blockchaining moving.

If I'm Sutter, that's the one guy I'm ripping on.

I'm not even sure what he's doing out there.  Leading the team in a bad way, tied with Lindholm for -7.  But I give some leeway to Lindy for having to play in many situations that was not on him.   Stone is a +6 FFS.  Kylington is +3.  Both those guys have had to play in situations they are not used to.  Hanifin is a vet.  Ras is making mistakes out there as well, but he's seeing McD and Draisaitl more.

6 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Awe, too bad.  I think it was a fake story that he suffered any type of injury.  Gamesmanship.  He can't skate, so there no need to cover him on the rush.  I don't know of any team that talked so much about two player's injuries as EDM.  Why would you suggest that Nurse needs surgery?  Or that Leon needs recovery time?  He's big and slow.  If anything, his shot looks bad.  I saw a single one-timer so far that actually hit the net.  And it was stoppable.  

The main issue is everyone seems to proclaim Mc Baby as unstoppable, the fans the media, that the Flames or no other club is worthy or capable of stopping him. Have we played our best hockey no, Sutter is right in that they have maybe caught  up in the hoop la, and really just play the way that got you here. Like I said before they are playing scared, not physically scared, its about not wanting to be the one to make a mistake. There is to much energy focused on what not to do that it sucks away what you should be doing. Their fearful of turnovers and odd man rushes, all we have seen is odd man rushes. There scared of Mc Jesus that he may dominate the play, and hence thats what your getting. They think one guy is going to win the series, its a team effort. Look I am not saying Mc Baby isn't good but play your Blockchaining game and do what we do in all situations. Every player on either club would have scored the goals that the Coilers were allowed to walk right in. The past two games the Flames have allowed easy access to the net odd man rushes turnovers, blah blah blah. Hell if Arz were given the same oppurtunites the results would be the same. 

Instead of playing like your awe struck, grab your jock strap pull it up and play the way the Flames know how to play. Instead of talking in the media of " we didn't have our best games yet" For me its put up or shut up time, I am tired of the hot air that gets spewed, put your  best effort forward and if its not good enough walk away being proud. Talking or thinking about playing better isn't going to win you games. 

6 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

For sure. Oiler media just likes to complain.

Andersson and Tkachuk dropping “the one player is beating us” line seems to have really stung their media 

He's not scoring much, but involved in every goal.  If Poolparty got a pass like the ones Kane got, he would have a hatty too.  Or he misses, which is so much like him.  I think perhaps Tkachuk is using a bit of verbal warfare to suggest they are a garbage team without McD.  He's not wrong.  What that says to the Oilers is that roster players are just out there to set the table for McD.  Get in their heads that they need to show something.  

I laugh at the high and mighty fans that see no wrong when it comes to the Oiler and see everything wrong with every other players in the league.  Seen a lot of uncalled slashing of the hands go uncalled, mostly of players in white/red.  But, stir up the pot if you like.  If you want to avenge him, go ahead.  What's that?  Right.  Kassian plays 4 minutes.  fringe NHL player Archibald plays 7 and scoring threat and noted big body Foegele plays 7.

You wat to send a message about the Smith hit?  I am sure that smith is tougher than 90% of the Oil players.  Let him get hacks in, if that's how he wants to respond.  Don't worry, we will look for your weakness, and maybe actually get some difficult shots on you.  

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

And that dude is a noted Oilers hack.  He only sees the ice through a Kool Ade induced haze.

That is the thing that I hate the most about the Coilers and the leafs, its fine for there players to do it to others but your garbage if you do it to theirs. The hacking and cross checking is ok but don't fart in Mc Jesus direction or you get an interferance peanlty. 

8 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

That is the thing that I hate the most about the Coilers and the leafs, its fine for there players to do it to others but your garbage if you do it to theirs. The hacking and cross checking is ok but don't fart in Mc Jesus direction or you get an interferance peanlty. 

It may be just temporary, but the guys that did games 1 and 2 are in the East.

At least McCauley is gone.

Kozari is in the East.

We get O'Rourke and another vet ref.

Typical NHL responding to Oiler trash....

Frank Seravalli

@frank_seravalli

#NHL is aware of this clip and the apparent targeting of #LetsGoOilers Leon Draisaitl’s ankle. Safe to say Player Safety / Hockey Ops / Officiating Depts are in communication and will keep an eye out for the same in Game 4 and beyond.

Do they even watch games or just clips that homer media publish.  Okay to slash hands I guess.  But the darlings can't have anyone target a player with some fake injury.  Keep track of all the BS, not just the ones that butthurt fans post.  

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Typical NHL responding to Oiler trash....

Frank Seravalli

@frank_seravalli

#NHL is aware of this clip and the apparent targeting of #LetsGoOilers Leon Draisaitl’s ankle. Safe to say Player Safety / Hockey Ops / Officiating Depts are in communication and will keep an eye out for the same in Game 4 and beyond.

Do they even watch games or just clips that homer media publish.  Okay to slash hands I guess.  But the darlings can't have anyone target a player with some fake injury.  Keep track of all the BS, not just the ones that butthurt fans post.  

Officiating dept also needs to look into the play in which Leon drew a penalty last game, but they don't seem concerned at all with blue team dives.

1 minute ago, sak22 said:

Officiating dept also needs to look into the play in which Leon drew a penalty last game, but they don't seem concerned at all with blue team dives.

Seravalli is reporting a non-story.

The NHL doesn't need to see something sent in by a media hack.

I'm sure the coach or GM may have sent it in if they felt it was an issue.

Oilers coaching through Twitter?

Really it's more likely them whining about not getting PP's, not the supposed targeting of an injured player.

Who ever heard of that before?

You play, you will be targeted in some way shape or form.

There are 100 of these little clips every day.

If they feel some of them need discussion, that happens before the game.

Probably as many that show the Oilers targeting the hands of Gaudreau or Kane clipping him.

Don’t we have any tech savvy fans who can show all of the non call penalties that should be called against the oilers, the  slashes and the cross checks and blatant interference that doesn’t get called?

if it were me coaching, I’d gather all the players and match everyone into the dressing room. And be like, until you decide to call the game fair… we will come back then . If only it were that easy. But in a game where the refs hand the other team the game there is no use in playing anymore.

22 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Don’t we have any tech savvy fans who can show all of the non call penalties that should be called against the oilers, the  slashes and the cross checks and blatant interference that doesn’t get called?

if it were me coaching, I’d gather all the players and match everyone into the dressing room. And be like, until you decide to call the game fair… we will come back then . If only it were that easy. But in a game where the refs hand the other team the game there is no use in playing anymore.

Just because an Oiler fan boi, so called media guy can clip together a sequence in low def doesn't mean every team is that pathetic.  Run the play from before that sequence and you might see something that pouts Drai in a different light.  But crying to the media is so Oilers.  How come Connor doesn't draw more penalties?  Send in a bunch of clips. 

In the playoffs, the NHL PS doesn't look at targeting a player as intent to injure.  If you are healthy play.  If not, don't play.  No need to run to the teacher after recess.  I wouldn't even call this series hard hitting.  One hard hit on McD.  A cross check that resulted in a dive call.  Couple of scrums.  The penalties called don't do this series justice.