The Unconditional Positivity Thread

conundrumed

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Close. We're 2nd in shots to Florida. Unfortunately, tied for 29th in shot percentage.

The real highlight is the 9 OT losses. Only SJ has more. Turn 4 of those into Ws and we're 2 pts out of first.

And again, there is no 3-3/SO circuses in the playoffs.

But we need to keep this machine rolling.

Reffing has been pretty bad for every team this year, so no excuses there.

We're 23rd in Drawn/Taken penalties this year at -6 overall (6 more taken than drawn). So that is definitely an area for improvement and it isn't the fault of reffing. Keep the sticks down, for one. Those hurt the most. We're 6th in the league on the PK which is great. The bigger issue is how penalties interrupt the flow of the game and utilizing lines.

The PP is 23rd in the league so the eye test is correct. Playoff teams need a reliable PP so that needs work.

But we're coming around. There's always adjustments to make. There are a lot of positives happening.

The amount of complaining is way overboard compared to the reality of the situation.

It's okay to get angry. It just really sucks to stay angry.

Go visit the Wings board. There's a difference between critiquing and axe-grinding.

We're starting to come around with consistent efforts.

Enjoy the ride.

Pelletier was over-shadowed by JG's return, but looks great easing in. Keeping pucks alive, solid passing, jumping back to cover Andersson's pinches/drives. Very smart player, robbed by Korpisalo.

He'll get on the board tonight. 4th line looks great with him.

The OT part is not as troubling as getting there.

The good is that we came back against LA, CHI and STL.

The bad is we let back in teams like  TOR, VAN and CBJ.

6 OT games there, and one timely goal before the end of the game and we have an extra 6 points.

More important, the OT points, wins or losses, don't mean RW's.

Very important for tie breaker seeding.

I think it was Francis who looked into how many cross bars and posts we had. This was a couple of weeks back now, but at the time he said we were in the lead with 54 crossbars and posts. How many 1 goal games have we been in? If 25% of those went in? That’s an extra 13-14 goals. Which would give us a positive goal differential of 19 only behind Seattle in the pacific. Not to mention that if have of those 13-14 goals translate to wins in those close 1 goal games. That would give us an extra 6 wins on the year with 67 points, sitting atop of the pacific. 
I like where we’re going, even if it’s futile to live in a world of ifs, ands, & buts.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

I think it was Francis who looked into how many cross bars and posts we had. This was a couple of weeks back now, but at the time he said we were in the lead with 54 crossbars and posts. How many 1 goal games have we been in? If 25% of those went in? That’s an extra 13-14 goals. Which would give us a positive goal differential of 19 only behind Seattle in the pacific. Not to mention that if have of those 13-14 goals translate to wins in those close 1 goal games. That would give us an extra 6 wins on the year with 67 points, sitting atop of the pacific. 
I like where we’re going, even if it’s futile to live in a world of ifs, ands, & buts.

I don't buy the wins over losses for a post.

A goal changes the course of the game, in many ways.

11 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

I’m not sure I follow? Or if you’re trying to put a positive spin on my “post”?🤷‍♂️

I guess I don't automatically look at a goal over a post as being the difference maker.

It's a positive that we hit the net instead of wide.

But the inside post is better result than outside.

It means coming back on the goalie or into the slot.

Anyway, not trying to tramp on your positivity.

Keep it up.

Post/OT recodrd same sort of of and but....

If more of those 9 OT losses were wons we look a lot healthier in the standings.

Overall so far this season with the loss of 2 x 40 goalscorers and 2 x 100 point players I think we are doing okay.

Small margins in the NHL nowadays.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

Post/OT recodrd same sort of of and but....

If more of those 9 OT losses were wons we look a lot healthier in the standings.

Overall so far this season with the loss of 2 x 40 goalscorers and 2 x 100 point players I think we are doing okay.

Small margins in the NHL nowadays.

Sutter keeps saying that, but in reality, we gained two 30+ goal scorers and a 100 point player.

Take out the dumb penalties in OT and we probably have a few more wins.

We get a SO loss after killing off a 4 minute double minor in OT.

Other penalties have been direct losses in OT.

Lately, we are taking far fewer penalties.  Some of that is due to the refs starting to get to their mid-season calls.  Not calling as many per game.  But, the PP1 need a better structure.  They struggle to gain the zone after a faceoff loss.  They get hemmed in on one side when the PK is aggressive, and generally lose possession.  We get down low and it goes back up high, but no shots coming from the point.  The 2nd unit does more of a direct attack and has some success.  But they have a better entry success rate.  

We've all seen when this team is doing well things fall apart after a lengthy break (ASW, etc). Since things arent going as smoothly I think we'll see a different team when they return, a more cohesive and engaged unit. Not that the first half of the season is pointless but this will be the measuring stick that shows what this team can be capable of.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

We've all seen when this team is doing well things fall apart after a lengthy break (ASW, etc). Since things arent going as smoothly I think we'll see a different team when they return, a more cohesive and engaged unit. Not that the first half of the season is pointless but this will be the measuring stick that shows what this team can be capable of.

Heading into last All Star break, we had won 5 of 6.

Coming out of it we won 7 in a row, then the VAN 7-1 loss.

Then 8 wins in 12 games, but points in 10 of them.

To sum it up, we went on a roll where we had 32 points in 20 games coming right out of the break.

That's a .800 points % which vaulted us in the standings.

We can only hope for that kind of post-All Star break record.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Heading into last All Star break, we had won 5 of 6.

Coming out of it we won 7 in a row, then the VAN 7-1 loss.

Then 8 wins in 12 games, but points in 10 of them.

To sum it up, we went on a roll where we had 32 points in 20 games coming right out of the break.

That's a .800 points % which vaulted us in the standings.

We can only hope for that kind of post-All Star break record.

As it seems last year was a bit of an anomaly, and in the end an arguably poor playoff result.  I'm still in the camp of having this team have to earn every point just to see what real pressure does (coaching included).

Well I was curious today after saying we could’ve won those 1 goal games if a couple posts / crossbars would’ve been in our favour. So here’s some food for thought:

48 Games Played

19 Games we’re not 1 Goal Games

Our record in those 19 Games was 11-8

good enough for a .579 win %
66 Goals For = 3.47 GF/G

55 Goals Against = 2.89 GA/G

and puts us at +11 Goal differential for those 19 Games

29 Games we’re 1 Goal Games

Our record in those 29 Games was 12-17

sad enough for a .414 win %
85 Goals For = 2.93 GF/G

90 Goals Against = 3.10 GA/G

and puts us at -5 Goal differential for those 29 Games

Of those 1 Goal games:

-9 Games were decided in OT and our record is 2-7

-4 Games were decided in S.O. and our record in 1-3

The moral of the story for the flames is above all else, do not let it get to extra time, lol.

Wow, it's great to see such positive observations, and after digesting those 'what if' numbers I say park those and move on. 

I like that Clint Eastwood line when

he was referring to computer processed statistics, analytics I think they might be called, "Does it tell you when to scratch your axx too?" 

Looking forward to the game tonight. Hockey, a game of skill and mistakes👍

1 hour ago, nevermissashift said:

Skid Markstrom oops I mean Jacob Markstrom is having a tough go of it this season. 

There isn't a goalie in the system who would've won that game or even kept it close.  Could've just as easy been 10-1, also need more than one on most nights and thats 3 in a row for him when he didn't get more than 1.  I get he has had a steep dropoff from last night, but Vladar, Wolf or whoever is losing this game by a similar fashion with how the team in front played.  Vladar wouldn't get thrown under the bus with that type of game, Marky doesn't deserve to in that one either he was really the only one that showed up.

38 minutes ago, sak22 said:

There isn't a goalie in the system who would've won that game or even kept it close.  Could've just as easy been 10-1, also need more than one on most nights and thats 3 in a row for him when he didn't get more than 1.  I get he has had a steep dropoff from last night, but Vladar, Wolf or whoever is losing this game by a similar fashion with how the team in front played.  Vladar wouldn't get thrown under the bus with that type of game, Marky doesn't deserve to in that one either he was really the only one that showed up.

I agree with all of that except Markstrom being thrown under the bus. It would be nice to see him save a game when the team forgets to show. He is playing differently from last year. Remember how Kipper saved poor performance after poor performance? Looking forward to tomorrow's 4 point tilt. 

9 hours ago, sak22 said:

Of course it's not Marky's fault we lost.  Two goals he let in I didn't like.  But those are two goals that he would always let in, so let's look at a PP that can't even get a shot on net.  Inneffective offense.  Dump and chase because we can't make a pass.  The basics look like we have not played in months.  Slow and plodding.  Long passes because we don't skate.  

Oops, this is the positivity thread, which is looking like a blow it up thread.

Pelletier was the story of last night.

Backlund pointed him out and said he was doing it right.

More like his inspired play.

Duehr with speed.

Mackey trying to get used to playing after a long long break.

2nd PP unit looking good.

Can fix that 2nd line, but need to look at how they are playing.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Of course it's not Marky's fault we lost.  Two goals he let in I didn't like.  But those are two goals that he would always let in, so let's look at a PP that can't even get a shot on net.  Inneffective offense.  Dump and chase because we can't make a pass.  The basics look like we have not played in months.  Slow and plodding.  Long passes because we don't skate.  

Oops, this is the positivity thread, which is looking like a blow it up thread.

Backlund pointed him out and said he was doing it right.

More like his inspired play.

Duehr with speed.

Mackey trying to get used to playing after a long long break.

2nd PP unit looking good.

Can fix that 2nd line, but need to look at how they are playing.

Excellent summary.

I wish there wasn't quite so much dump and chase too; they are good at it but it's a one trick pony. 

Hube needs somebody with his level of intuition around the net. 

Definite tired looking team. Spanked by the bargain basement boys. 

You forgot to say they were slow to get setup passes away. I saw Pelletier, and Mangier on different plays waiting at the line or in the slot because there was no forwarding or setup passes when they were open. Those are excellent opportunities for improvement. 

Looking forward to tonight's 4 pointer. 

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

For 3 games in a row. I think he looks great. I hear the Phillips lovers but Pelletier's been our best prospect for a while now.

Camp Shmamp, whatever. This is how Pelletier plays and always has been. His history is all about graduating early in every league. And not because he has the biggest rifle in the chest. He's always been a very safe pick and nobody doubted that he"d be an NHL player.

The main thing for me is, "Do you add an element to our game in any way"? Pretty resounding YES. Making our 4th line look fast and dangerous. Earned more, looked good last night. Although Athanasiou crept by him for a tap-in chance(Markstrom saved). Learns fast. Excellent work tracking pucks, finding a spot in front of their goalie to have his stick on the ice and covering for attacking Dmen really quickly. I'm impressed. He's still learning the spaces in the o-zone. Timing is everything. Can see that he's working on that. I kind of expected him to be our best 3rd line player next year and hopefully get him to 2nd line. He looks reeaaally good to me for a kid just getting introduced. I'll be a bit surprised (Didn't see him this good this fast) if he starts pointing pdq as the pros teach and get used to him. He's a new element. He's a 20-40 guy before he's a 30-8 guy like Mangiapane.

I can see how that line should work. But Mange, I wanna strangle him (figuratively, of course🤪). He's playing wound up so tight that I want him benched. He's trying to force his play, to a fault. Too panicky.

Pelletier has looked really good to me. I'm happy Sutter agrees.

This is what a great young prospect looks like folks, and a coach that knows where his young players' games are at and nudge them along, rather than (c)rush them when he feels they aren't ready.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

For 3 games in a row. I think he looks great. I hear the Phillips lovers but Pelletier's been our best prospect for a while now.

Camp Shmamp, whatever. This is how Pelletier plays and always has been. His history is all about graduating early in every league. And not because he has the biggest rifle in the chest. He's always been a very safe pick and nobody doubted that he"d be an NHL player.

The main thing for me is, "Do you add an element to our game in any way"? Pretty resounding YES. Making our 4th line look fast and dangerous. Earned more, looked good last night. Although Athanasiou crept by him for a tap-in chance(Markstrom saved). Learns fast. Excellent work tracking pucks, finding a spot in front of their goalie to have his stick on the ice and covering for attacking Dmen really quickly. I'm impressed. He's still learning the spaces in the o-zone. Timing is everything. Can see that he's working on that. I kind of expected him to be our best 3rd line player next year and hopefully get him to 2nd line. He looks reeaaally good to me for a kid just getting introduced. I'll be a bit surprised (Didn't see him this good this fast) if he starts pointing pdq as the pros teach and get used to him. He's a new element. He's a 20-40 guy before he's a 30-8 guy like Mangiapane.

I can see how that line should work. But Mange, I wanna strangle him (figuratively, of course🤪). He's playing wound up so tight that I want him benched. He's trying to force his play, to a fault. Too panicky.

Pelletier has looked really good to me. I'm happy Sutter agrees.

This is what a great young prospect looks like folks, and a coach that knows where his young players' games are at and nudge them along, rather than (c)rush them when he feels they aren't ready.

i get it takes Sutter a few viewings to see what a player can do and help him have something to say about them, but why not just say, he's been good in other leagues and let's give him time to progress. It's not much different than what he said, but the tone is different. And I liked what he had to say about Pelts, said you can see he gets it. Work hard play hard!!! Was a breath of fresh air to hear Sutter talk candidly for a change.

15 hours ago, sak22 said:

Agreed!