UFA 2020, Who’d You Sign?

robrob74

47 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'm sure this comes as no shock to anyone, or at least it should, but Flames will not use a buyout this off-season. A trade is the only way they can open up cap space, if they event want to. 

If my memory is correct  this breaks the streak of 4 straight season with one

2019 - Stone

2018 - Brouwer, Murphy

2017 - Bouma

2016 - Raymond

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice signing. He was looking like a really good bottom 6 player 2 seasons ago but did fall back a bit last year. 

Pretty low risk for league minimum. I know this will spark some trade talk but I wouldn't be going there. I thikn this is the Flames giving themselves some added depth in particular some depth that can play up the lineup. As we found out when Tkachuk when down the options were limited in terms of having effective players in the lineup and Simon was that in Pittsburgh. He spent some time with Crosby and didn't look completely out of place so there is a some added flexibility with a player like this. 

During his last interview Treliving mentioned they were after some depth role/character players and some depth on the RS D side. 

So far 2 signings to fill the role player/character idea so we should probably be on the lookout for a RS D signing soon. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

During his last interview Treliving mentioned they were after some depth role/character players and some depth on the RS D side. 

So far 2 signings to fill the role player/character idea so we should probably be on the lookout for a RS D signing soon. 

Some decent names still there, just a bad feeling of who its going to be and I'll treat it like Voldemort and not say the name.

Simon is another tiny player what are we the Calgary Canadians? Heck even they learned added considerable size...Sonos that’s 6 smaller players:

Gaudreau

Ryan

Manji

Dube 

Simon 

Rinaldo 

that’s 2 full Tiny lines🙄 as if we didn’t get pushed off the puck much last year...let’s get smaller maybe the problem will get better? Lol BT needs to check out Mlt and see how that’s been working...just saying...

52 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Simon is another tiny player what are we the Calgary Canadians? Heck even they learned added considerable size...Sonos that’s 6 smaller players:

Gaudreau

Ryan

Manji

Dube 

Simon 

Rinaldo 

that’s 2 full Tiny lines🙄 as if we didn’t get pushed off the puck much last year...let’s get smaller maybe the problem will get better? Lol BT needs to check out Mlt and see how that’s been working...just saying...

Simon is the same size as Reider and Nordstrum is smaller than Janko but twice as physical so how did we get smaller really. We may have actually got stronger a bit.

1 hour ago, MP5029 said:

Gaudreau

Ryan

Manji

Dube 

Simon 

Rinaldo 

I'm all for the team getting physically bigger but comparing Gaudreau to Rinaldo because of stature is a bit of a reach. 

1 hour ago, MP5029 said:

Gaudreau

Ryan

Manji

Dube 

Simon 

Rinaldo 

Following the Tampa Bay Lightning formula.

14 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Following the Tampa Bay Lightning formula.

Agreed and when people say the Flames have no identity, I don't get it because for me Treliving builds his organization the same way Tampa has. He wants players to be fast, skilled, smart and competitive because you don't need to be big to forecheck if you are smart. If you watch Tampa play they can forecheck like crazy, despite not being very big, because from top to bottom they are full competitive, smart, players who find the right area of the ice. I see the same vision here in Calgary and they Flames get a little closer to it every year. 

Main difference for me between Tampa and Calgary is they got 2 top 3 picks and landed Stamkos and Hedman. Best the Flames did at the top of the draft was Monahan and Tkachuk and that's a pretty big difference. 

53 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Agreed and when people say the Flames have no identity, I don't get it because for me Treliving builds his organization the same way Tampa has. He wants players to be fast, skilled, smart and competitive because you don't need to be big to forecheck if you are smart. If you watch Tampa play they can forecheck like crazy, despite not being very big, because from top to bottom they are full competitive, smart, players who find the right area of the ice. I see the same vision here in Calgary and they Flames get a little closer to it every year. 

Main difference for me between Tampa and Calgary is they got 2 top 3 picks and landed Stamkos and Hedman. Best the Flames did at the top of the draft was Monahan and Tkachuk and that's a pretty big difference. 

Good point.

In this year's cup run, they has a Hedman (no Stamkos).

The closest thing we had to that was Gio who looked very ordinary against Dallas.

100% - what the Flames do not have is a Victor Hedman. There aren't very many guys like him. 

An aside, I've got a cool piece of memorabilia from the Oilers 2006 Stanley Cup run. It's a 7' poster of Chris Pronger, and it's just him standing in his skates. At the bottom, it says, "Actual size is slightly larger.

Love. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Sucks.  Bennett was supposed to have been our #1 Center and it just didn't work out.  If he was a point per game impact scorer, I think we are legit contenders.

But that said, we did have a Norris Dman.  So we got that Hedman part covered... Or "had" it covered.  Now Giordano is fading into a second pair D.  Plus no clear #1 Center.  It's looking grim.  I want a rebuild while we have valuable assets to make a quick turn around.  Don't rebuild when we have nothing left to help speed up a rebuild like in 2013.

30 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Sucks.  Bennett was supposed to have been our #1 Center and it just didn't work out.  If he was a point per game impact scorer, I think we are legit contenders.

But that said, we did have a Norris Dman.  So we got that Hedman part covered... Or "had" it covered.  Now Giordano is fading into a second pair D.  Plus no clear #1 Center.  It's looking grim.  I want a rebuild while we have valuable assets to make a quick turn around.  Don't rebuild when we have nothing left to help speed up a rebuild like in 2013.

The unfortunate thing was we didn't get a franchise defenseman to replace Gio in time.

Valimaki or Ras may be that guy, but the fade is coming too quickly.

Pietrangelo would have been the best of a bad situation.

He's not going to last 7 years, me thinks.

He's got a lot of mileage so I can see him being relevant for 5.

This or next year, we have to find a Gio replacement.

With enough career left to span until our other D are great.

While we don't have any clear cut #1C in the wings, if we hit on 2 or 3 being top 6 players, we will be positioned well.

Having 2 or 3 high end prospects and a complete team is better than hoping for 6-8 turn out with no decent team.

Tampa got Hedman in 2009 and Stamkos in 2008.

They were lucky to hit on all the players they did.

But they almost have to do a re-tooling because the reason they won is also the reason they can't afford that payroll.

Interesting. when he was coming up with Tampa the buzz was a talented offensive dman but he ended up going back to Russia. Plays the right side but is a LS. Could be someone they see as a PP option.

Seeing this, hard not to assume that the club doesn't think highly of Kylington. Having said that it sounds like this would be another minimum salary deal so could just be to create competition and give them some depth. Seems like the approach is rather than PTOs give these guys the minimum to bring them in and see what they can do. 

They've got some potentially sneaky value in some of these deals. 

24 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Interesting. when he was coming up with Tampa the buzz was a talented offensive dman but he ended up going back to Russia. Plays the right side but is a LS. Could be someone they see as a PP option.

Seeing this, hard not to assume that the club doesn't think highly of Kylington. Having said that it sounds like this would be another minimum salary deal so could just be to create competition and give them some depth. Seems like the approach is rather than PTOs give these guys the minimum to bring them in and see what they can do. 

They've got some potentially sneaky value in some of these deals. 

I find it interesting that they would sign another LD, with Gio, Hanifin and Valimaki already signed.

His numbers in the KHL were pretty good last year(23 points in 53 games)

Maybe it's a depth replacement, or maybe it's because they have a trade coming for Hanifin.

If they were trading Hanifin, that would put a few players in competition for the remaining spots.

Kylington, Mackey, Petrovic, Nesterov, Yelesin.

Otherwise, we are loaded with potential 3rd pairing D; Valimaki, Nesterov, Kylington, Mackey.

Makes you wonder, not just about Kylington.

20 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I find it interesting that they would sign another LD, with Gio, Hanifin and Valimaki already signed.

His numbers in the KHL were pretty good last year(23 points in 53 games)

Maybe it's a depth replacement, or maybe it's because they have a trade coming for Hanifin.

If they were trading Hanifin, that would put a few players in competition for the remaining spots.

Kylington, Mackey, Petrovic, Nesterov, Yelesin.

Otherwise, we are loaded with potential 3rd pairing D; Valimaki, Nesterov, Kylington, Mackey.

Makes you wonder, not just about Kylington.

if I had to guess, and it is totally a guess, I think the Flames are rolling the dice on someone who might give them another PP option. There is not a lot of depth there in the organization and after seeing the impact Gustafsson had on the PP I could see them making that a priority. 

I don't know. for me the better question is why not?

He can play and he's been really solid over in Russia including QB his team's PP. Low Risk to give yourself depth, doesn't hurt you if he doesn't make it, and best case you've got yourself a really solid 3rd pairing dman who can work on the PP. 

I don't see the downside other than you wish he was a RS but he does play the right side and it's not like there are many RS options out there right now signing for 700K. 

21 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

He has a bomb from the point, and he is a bit chippy. 

Thanks for the highlight pack JT. I always like to analyze not just the highlights themselves but WHY they were chosen for the highlight pack. If there’s a goal scored that ping pongs off 4 people before it goes in, I understand that this player rarely scores 🤣 otherwise, a better goal would make the pack. That isn’t the case here, but one thing I did notice that I like a lot about this player is that even with the puck on his stick, his head is always up. He picks his spots and appears to have good vision of the ice. I’m interested to see what he can do. 

that said, I know on the surface it appears quite bleak for Kylington, but I’m thinking the defensive additions are simply planning for a compressed season followed by a compressed playoffs. Need players to step up and fill in, in that regard. 

Archived