UFA 2020, Who’d You Sign?

robrob74

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Gio hit the wall when Ward arrived.

From here on in, Gio should play second pair minutes and transition into a more economical game with Tanev.  The offense from D will have to come from the three kids Hanifin, Andersson, and Valimaki.  Need them to take another step forward.

That's where I don't agree and where the data doesn't really support it.

In terms of his ability to transition and create offence there is really little difference between the Gio of last year and the Gio the year prior (Norris year). He saw a spike in his goals/points mostly due to the fact that the team had a great year and the team finished at a very high rate. Last year he fell back to career norms. 

As i've said in the past if you look at the playoffs yes Gio wasn't good and if you think that's an indication of his game falling off that is understandable. I'm of a different opinion but it's that side is fair too. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cross16 said:

That's where I don't agree and where the data doesn't really support it.

In terms of his ability to transition and create offence there is really little difference between the Gio of last year and the Gio the year prior (Norris year). He saw a spike in his goals/points mostly due to the fact that the team had a great year and the team finished at a very high rate. Last year he fell back to career norms. 

As i've said in the past if you look at the playoffs yes Gio wasn't good and if you think that's an indication of his game falling off that is understandable. I'm of a different opinion but it's that side is fair too. 

He did look rusty coming back from the lockdowns.  Maybe older guys take longer to get back their stride.  At some point, its just biology.  He will slow down and he looked visibly slower in these playoffs.

When you look at the top line, all three are still there and still prime.  So the common denominator in their slower output is related the top pair D slowing down since they play together often.

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

He did look rusty coming back from the lockdowns.  Maybe older guys take longer to get back their stride.  At some point, its just biology.  He will slow down and he looked visibly slower in these playoffs.

When you look at the top line, all three are still there and still prime.  So the common denominator in their slower output is related the top pair D slowing down since they play together often.

Gio is a fine defensive player that has been fortunate to have some high octain forwards during his time on ice,, It's his defensive awareness that made him a key cog on this team.. Playing with Brodie has been a benefit to his offensive production as well.. Brodie is gone.. Mainly because he didn't turn into the projected.. next Paul Reinhart.. Gio weil be fine here for a few more years as a mentor for the likes of Anderson and Valamaki

27 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

That, IMO at least, is far too simplistic of a conclusion. Especially when I think flaws were very evident in the play of the top line that both the eye test and numbers back up. 

You are correct. Believe they are fishing together right now actually (at least according to Instagram)

I like it. Energy guy, can bring a physical game, play PK, and you are ok with him if he gets stuck in your own end. Huge upgrade over Rinaldo for that 4th line spot. 

the downside being you basically cannot expect any offence our of him but they don't necessarily need that on their 4th line. They need someone who is willing to be a difference on the forecheck and Nordstorm can do that. Cup winner (albeit he didn't play) and coming from the Bruins organization are nice plusses for me too. 

3 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

I like the band of Brothers approach with them bringing in people who are also close off-ice.

I like that, too. Specifically, I do really like Elias Lindholm. He gets some flak around here, and I think it's a bit unwarranted. I think that all-around, he's one of our most consistent forwards, and he's an excellent utility player. He plays great defense, and he puts up good offensive numbers, too. 

Of course, I don't know that the "band of Brothers" approach is what they're going for, but I have no issue with them surrounding him with people that he likes to be around. He can be on my team seven days a week. 

Love. 

39 minutes ago, cross16 said:

You are correct. Believe they are fishing together right now actually (at least according to Instagram)

I like it. Energy guy, can bring a physical game, play PK, and you are ok with him if he gets stuck in your own end. Huge upgrade over Rinaldo for that 4th line spot. 

the downside being you basically cannot expect any offence our of him but they don't necessarily need that on their 4th line. They need someone who is willing to be a difference on the forecheck and Nordstorm can do that. Cup winner (albeit he didn't play) and coming from the Bruins organization are nice plusses for me too. 

He can't be any worse than RInaldo.

44 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Would you rather Reider or Nordstrom?

37 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

I sense a Ryan trade coming with the Nordstrom signing.

Could be insurance in case Gawdin can't quite handle full time 4th line duty.

I like the band of Brothers approach with them bringing in people who are also close off-ice.

Nordstrom is listed as a center but he is a winger, not a center. I don't think he affects a Ryan trade in any way.

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Would you rather Reider or Nordstrom?

It depends on what you are going for but in a direct comparison Reider is the better player. I think Reider's speed makes him a weapon and Nordstrom just doesn't have element to his game. Reider can create some offence, but Nordstrom doesn't.

but I will say I think the Flames need Nordstrom more than Reider. Reider was a nice luxury to have on the PK, and at times on the 4th line, but I think the Flames need a 4th line that can be physical. A line that they could put out in games, and in particular the playoffs, to play that north-south style, forecheck teams hard and make things tough on the opposition D. Reider isn't going to do that but Nordstrom will. 

short answer, Reider is the better player but I prefer Nordstrom given the teams needs. 

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Nordstrom is listed as a center but he is a winger, not a center. I don't think he affects a Ryan trade in any way.

Ya I think Nordstrom is here to replace Jankowski more than Ryan.  I wonder if there's room left for the kids to challenge for a starting roster spot at camp.  I hate it when the organization doesn't dangle a carrot.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Ya I think Nordstrom is here to replace Jankowski more than Ryan.  I wonder if there's room left for the kids to challenge for a starting roster spot at camp.  I hate it when the organization doesn't dangle a carrot.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane

Dube-Bennett-?

Lucic-Ryan-Nordstrom

Right now there’s one spot available, in theory 

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

I hope the spot stays open.  I think Gawdin is ready.

And then carry Rinaldo as the 13th forward.

Even with signing Nordstrom, there's zero risk. He's making league minimum and can be easily buried if Gawdin outplays him.

Anyway, I think Gawdin is on the opening night roster. I really believe he would have seen games in the return to play if he hadn't been injured. Would have taken Jankowski's spot for a game or two. 

39 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Even with signing Nordstrom, there's zero risk. He's making league minimum and can be easily buried if Gawdin outplays him.

Anyway, I think Gawdin is on the opening night roster. I really believe he would have seen games in the return to play if he hadn't been injured. Would have taken Jankowski's spot for a game or two. 

So, I coach U13 (formerly called peewee) hockey, and the boys are on the ice on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Anyway, the group that comes out right after us is a lot of fun to watch... there are a bunch of AHL, and WHL players. Glenn Gawdin is one of them. Holy smokes do those boys ever go hard! It's really great to see, and they really chew up the ice - they are absolutely the reason that the ice is so bad for the beer league games later in the day. I don't get to watch them for too long because of the COVID restrictions at the rink, and I'm not in any position to judge how these guys compare across levels - but they're awesome! Any one of those guys is the difference between Full Metal Jockstrap wins a tight game, and Full Metal Jockstrap wins every single game by twelve goals.

Love.  

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I agree on the last part, but at least the nice thing about this management team is while they don't always dangle the carrot they won't give a vet a lot of leeway. If someone doesn't play well coming out the gate they are not shy of shipping him off and brining up a kid. 

So even if the carrot isn't there in training camp I would think the feeling down in the AHL is they are always one phone call away. 

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane

Dube-Bennett-?

Lucic-Ryan-Nordstrom

Right now there’s one spot available, in theory 

I sense the lines are not close to being what they will look like.

We have Lucic who is really a 4th line guy that can play some hard minutes.

Leaving Mangiapane as a possible 3rd line RW.

Leaving a hole on the 1st or 2nd line.

I really get the sense that there will be a top 6 player coming to CGY by Jan.1s.

Most likely through trade or a trade for a pcik that opens up some space.

Too many guys without jobs out there.

AA is an interesting case study.

Never managed to get his feet under him in EDM.

Can't say he would fit here, just interesting.

Same for Granlund.

A lot of guys are going to take haircuts or end up as a PTO.

16 hours ago, JTech780 said:

He took a total of 7 faceoffs last year, he isn't a center. He will most likely be playing wing on the 4th line and playing on the PK.

Bruins site had a write up of him saying he's a natural defensive zone center but plays both wings as well.. another lefthanfef player

Archived