UFA 2020, Who’d You Sign?

robrob74

23 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

e7047abe0dafec0f578df1c5c899c0eb.png

He has a bomb from the point, and he is a bit chippy. 

:rolleyes:...   Couldn't help but notice that the title of the second video is from a Lightning vs Red Winds game...   Must have missed the news, did a bunch of angry birds convince Detroit to change the name from the Red Wings because it offended the angry bird that looks like a cardinal?...   It won't do any good, because it won't be long until Aeolus the Greek god of wind files a lawsuit...

This is getting out of hand...   Oops...   Now the angry birds will be upset again...  Because they don't have hands...

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They did need the right side depth as the Flames currently are 1 injury away from Petrovic being a regular which i would say is less than ideal. 

a RS would have for sure been preferred but the remaining options there are:

Vatanen

Bowey

Hamonic

Stone

Rutta

Engelland

Korbinian Holzner

Yannick Weber

Cody Goloubef

Christian Folin

Joel Persson

Dalton Prout

Of that list the only 2 players I would have liked more than Nesterov are Vatanen (who is not signing for 700k) and Rutta. I liked Bowey as a prospect but i'm also wonder how telling it is that he's out there for free, Flames have a desire for right side depth, they have his junior coach on staff, and they still haven't signed him. 

50 minutes ago, cross16 said:

They did need the right side depth as the Flames currently are 1 injury away from Petrovic being a regular which i would say is less than ideal. 

a RS would have for sure been preferred but the remaining options there are:

Vatanen

Bowey

Hamonic

Stone

Rutta

Engelland

Korbinian Holzner

Yannick Weber

Cody Goloubef

Christian Folin

Joel Persson

Dalton Prout

Of that list the only 2 players I would have liked more than Nesterov are Vatanen (who is not signing for 700k) and Rutta. I liked Bowey as a prospect but i'm also wonder how telling it is that he's out there for free, Flames have a desire for right side depth, they have his junior coach on staff, and they still haven't signed him. 

Bowey had so much potential coming out of the draft being from the Defenseman factory of Kelowna Rockets but I think he's always relied on pure athleticism and skating to bail himself out of what is a lack of ability to read plays and anticipate the next few seconds.  Lacks awareness and smarts.

Don't think that can be taught at this stage of his career.  It's too late.

I mean, you can almost say the same about Kylington who relies so much on his elite skating to bail himself out of really poor decision making on the ice.  He flashes eliteness because of his skating but you just soon realize he doesn't advance the puck with any positive results.

On 10/22/2020 at 1:30 PM, cross16 said:

During his last interview Treliving mentioned they were after some depth role/character players and some depth on the RS D side. 

So far 2 signings to fill the role player/character idea so we should probably be on the lookout for a RS D signing soon. 

wrong!! another left shot rd

I like the Nesterov signing...   Low risk move to pick him up at league minimum, and it looks like he could step in on the 3rd pair D, and also play either side...   and he has a bit of a mean streak as a bonus...   27 years old, 5'11" and 198 lbs...   So not a really big guy but but built pretty solid, and not a lightweight either...   Let's see what he can bring...   If he can take a spot, great...   But either way he could come in handy as a call up if he doesn't make the cut...

I like this signing. I have suggested him a few times, just what we need cheap, right shot, can play on the right wing, not small, can really skate, and most of all he wants to win. He showed up for Toronto in the playoffs.

I don't personally see this as a depth signing. I think he slots in on the 3rd line RW position to start the year. Less room for the young guys we already have so does this mean there are bodies leaving in a trade soon? Alot of us believe that Gawdin is ready to make the jump full time. We added Simon, Nordstom, and now Leivo. We only lost Reider and Janko. So what does that say for the line up?

Johnny - Mony - Lindholm

Tkachuk - Backlund - Mange

Lucic - Bennett - Leivo

Nordstrom - Gawdin/Dube - Simon

That looks really good, so does Ryan get moved for a pick or third pair RD?

2 hours ago, FlameFan4Life said:

I like this signing. I have suggested him a few times, just what we need cheap, right shot, can play on the right wing, not small, can really skate, and most of all he wants to win. He showed up for Toronto in the playoffs.

I don't personally see this as a depth signing. I think he slots in on the 3rd line RW position to start the year. Less room for the young guys we already have so does this mean there are bodies leaving in a trade soon? Alot of us believe that Gawdin is ready to make the jump full time. We added Simon, Nordstom, and now Leivo. We only lost Reider and Janko. So what does that say for the line up?

Johnny - Mony - Lindholm

Tkachuk - Backlund - Mange

Lucic - Bennett - Leivo

Nordstrom - Gawdin/Dube - Simon

That looks really good, so does Ryan get moved for a pick or third pair RD?

I think it's a realistic thing to be moving Ryan.

I mean this isn't a replacement for him, but this signals something may be afoot.

Leivo has said he prefers LW but can play RW if needed.

I would suspect that Lucic is probably going to end up on the 4th line.

Dube-Bennett-Simon/Leivo

Lucic-Gawdin-Ryan/Simon/Leivo

It's not certain that Gawdin would stick at C, but I think you have too many wingers to keep with Ryan playing too.

The other possibility is that Hanifin is moved for a cheaper LD.

I just don't think the roster is complete.

Lots of recent additions that could all be part of the extended roster, but unless the cap allows it, not all could be carried.

There is a chance that there is no AHL this year and teams would be able to carry 3-5 additional players without cap penalties.

In that case, this is strictly depth.

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Lots of recent additions that could all be part of the extended roster, but unless the cap allows it, not all could be carried.

There is a chance that there is no AHL this year and teams would be able to carry 3-5 additional players without cap penalties.

Last I saw, all Canadian AHL teams will be playing in their home cities. At least that's the rumour. It would check out if there truly is an all canadian division.

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I mean this isn't a replacement for him, but this signals something may be afoot.

Dube-Bennett-Simon/Leivo

It's not certain that Gawdin would stick at C, but I think you have too many wingers to keep with Ryan playing too.

I like the thinking of a possible Hannifin move along with Ryan. A good option right now that I can see is Ottawa. They have picks to spare and they are very young. Hannifin would easily be an upgrade on there back end and is of the age he would fit in to there core going forward. Ryan would bring age, leadership and could bring a balance at center while showing the team he may be worth a short term extension going forward.  That would give us 9+ million in cap space but to make this work we could take back a prospect and some picks. We do not retain on Ryan seeing how Hannifin is on a good value contract.

I am not sure I would even spend the money right away. I see our current forward group as being able to function well without Ryan.

Our defense may seem scary but I just don't see Valamaki playing third pairing long and with that do you move Hannifin down thus lowering his value in a trade deadline move? I guess that would all come down to do you have the pieces to start a defense next year without adding.

Gio - Andersen

Valamaki - Tanev

Kylington - Nesterov

Is the risk worth the cap space?

I say yes, having the cap space come trade deadline to add the right piece is worth the risk. Might be Hall. The best thing I see out of a move like this is throwing minutes at Valamaki while supporting him with the likes of Tanev.

Ok que the stones and disagreeing comments, I can take it.....lol

On 10/10/2020 at 5:50 PM, MP5029 said:

I’d have rather kept Brodie for 5x5 honestly 

Tanev is not bad, just the 4x4.5 contract is, and it’s not even the 4 years but 3m max BT made a huge mistake on that, although it’s not gonna be an immovable contract and I do like Tanev at like a 3x3  Contract he would fit well with Valimaki too just a crap contract is all.

On 10/10/2020 at 11:21 PM, JTech780 said:

Yep. On day two, ideally we would sign Hall. If that doesn't happen we should be looking to add at least one depth forward:

Craig Smith: scores 20 from the 3rd line, good skater and solid defensively, can play all forward positions, RHS.

Erik Haula: Really fast, can play up and down the lineup, can play center, good forechecker.

Jesper Fast: Good skater, good defensively, RHS RW.

Corey Perry: Veteran RW, doesn't give you a lot in the regular season, but can be difference maker in the playoffs.

Matt Nieto: 4th liner who is a great skater, plays with energy, good on the forecheck and on the PK.

Josh Leivo: Has a good shot, has skill to produce, RHS RW.

Kyle Clifford: 4th liner brings physical edge.

Matt Martin: 4th liner brings physical edge.

I would still like to see one more defenseman as well.

Trevor Van Riemsdyk: Solid RHS D, 3rd pair.

Troy Stecher: Good skater, RHS, 3rd pair.

Jan Rutta: Size, RHS, 6/7 defenseman.

Travis Hamonic: RHS, physical edge.

Ideally Hall signs and we address the other spots via trade.

On 10/11/2020 at 12:02 AM, phoenix66 said:

Greiss to Detroit ..heard the Oilers were in on him. They are fast losing out on any goalie upgrades 

Hate to admit tho that Turris was a good signing for them 

On 10/11/2020 at 12:26 AM, cross16 said:

Mackey may factor into future teams but I’m not sure he’s on the radar this year. 

In terms of a PP QB a name that doesn’t come up is Valimaki. Did it in junior and he’s QB the number 1 unit over in Finland right now. He has the vision for it. 

something to consider or something they may already be considering. 

47 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Dube-Bennett-Simon/Leivo

Leivo is nice signing. Now it’s official Vancouver Canucks is the farm team of Calgary Flames.  Lol.  I am wondering if Flames is doing another big deal soon to ship out Hanifin and Ryan/Dube for possible Laine?  What is the asking price of Winnipeg Jets for Laine?  Good D + good prospect + 1st round draft pick?  Would Winnipeg even consider to trade Laine to Calgary after they lost first round to the Flames?  However it feels we got too many players now on bottom 6, it feels like a big trade is coming and it’s not involving JG.  

3 minutes ago, crazyflames said:

Leivo is nice signing. Now it’s official Vancouver Canucks is the farm team of Calgary Flames.  Lol.  I am wondering if Flames is doing another big deal soon to ship out Hanifin and Ryan/Dube for possible Laine?  What is the asking price of Winnipeg Jets for Laine?  Good D + good prospect + 1st round draft pick?  Would Winnipeg even consider to trade Laine to Calgary after they lost first round to the Flames?  However it feels we got too many players now on bottom 6, it feels like a big trade is coming and it’s not involving JG.  

Hanifin + Dube for Laine is an uncomfortable trade to make.  Which means it's close to fair.

Day one signings were big tickets.

I have no real problems with either other than not really replacing Brodie.

Markstrom should give this team victories in close games that we had trouble winning last yer.

The recent signings are value deals for players that can play roles.

Nordstrom on the PK and a big of sandpaper.

Simon with good passing abilities can play up and down the lineup.

Nesterov has QB qualities.

Leivo is a guy that could break out, otherwise is a decent scoring forward.

Less than 4m for 4 decent players.

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Hanifin + Dube for Laine is an uncomfortable trade to make.  Which means it's close to fair.

What is likely chance to get a player like Laine at 22 years of age without top 3 first round pick in any particular year???  Does Calgary Flames has any slim chances to get into top 5 picks in the next few years?  I hope not but likely zero chance too.  Therefore getting Laine...  it’s almost impossible even with offering like Hanifin + Dube.   Laine is a 50+ scorer, not many in this league, no need to say more.  I doubt Winnipeg Jet wants to trade Laine to same division rivals.  

9 hours ago, crazyflames said:

What is likely chance to get a player like Laine at 22 years of age without top 3 first round pick in any particular year???  Does Calgary Flames has any slim chances to get into top 5 picks in the next few years?  I hope not but likely zero chance too.  Therefore getting Laine...  it’s almost impossible even with offering like Hanifin + Dube.   Laine is a 50+ scorer, not many in this league, no need to say more.  I doubt Winnipeg Jet wants to trade Laine to same division rivals.  

Except the Flames and Jets are not in the same division and Laine has never scored 50-goals (yet).  Most was 44 and he's only broken 40-goals once in 4 years.

But ya.  I get what you mean I guess.  

Archived