UFA 2020, Who’d You Sign?

robrob74

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, redfire11 said:

In the thought about acquiring Hoffman.

If Ottawa signed Hoffman for a 1 year 6m contract.

and then traded Hoffman 50% RS to Calgary for Ryan and draft picks ie. (2021 2nd and 3rd)

This is 1 way that we could get Hoffman but is Ottawa willing to spend 3 m for 2 picks and is Hoffman willing to take 6m for 1 year?

why on earth would we trade one of our few tight hand shots back.. that's insane

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Okay 10 then.  There's a number that would work for both sides.  Just saying... 

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Okay 10 then.  There's a number that would work for both sides.  Just saying... 

but there's been i fair bit of talk lately of possibly Cory Perry coming here for less than a million on a one year

Slightly under what I pegged for a 2 year deal. It's fair and it gives the Flames some wiggle room to maybe add a depth piece but I hope the Flames don't regret this.  There is strong data, and my eyes back this up, that Mangiapane is ready to pop if given the right situations (ie more PP time). So while this deal helps them now some risk there that if he does it's going to be expensive to retain him. 

But at the same time this is in the Gio and Gaudreau window (both UFA in 2 years) so it's not the worst gamble, I just hope it doesn't end up costing them too much. 

Having said that I also have no idea how much his camp would have been seeking on a 4-5 year deal so hard to criticize without knowing that. He just looks to me like a candidate where a long term deal could wind up being a steal but maybe that wasn't the case. 

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Slightly under what I pegged for a 2 year deal. It's fair and it gives the Flames some wiggle room to maybe add a depth piece but I hope the Flames don't regret this.  There is strong data, and my eyes back this up, that Mangiapane is ready to pop if given the right situations (ie more PP time). So while this deal helps them now some risk there that if he does it's going to be expensive to retain him. 

But at the same time this is in the Gio and Gaudreau window (both UFA in 2 years) so it's not the worst gamble, I just hope it doesn't end up costing them too much. 

that actually could work, cut Gio’s salary in 1/2...give to Gaudreau 1 1/2 and Manji 1/2 sign Gio for around 2.5-3 should have the room for that and an easy fix 

doubt Gio will get much more than what Manji is making now when he’s 37...but i could be wrong but at that age most players start signing at a discounted rate as they are not at their top anymore but at still solid players for a few more years...wait and see on that I think, but I’m pretty that’s not gonna be a huge issue 

28 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Having said that I also have no idea how much his camp would have been seeking on a 4-5 year deal so hard to criticize without knowing that. He just looks to me like a candidate where a long term deal could wind up being a steal but maybe that wasn't the case. 

Nah, Dube looks more ready to pop than Mangiapane.  Mange will get his 50-points with a full season in a top 6 role.  

36 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Nah, Dube looks more ready to pop than Mangiapane.  Mange will get his 50-points with a full season in a top 6 role.  

Don't get me wrong I like both and would agree Dube's upside is higher. But food for thought Mangiapange outscored (goals) the following players at 5 on 5 last year:

Steven Stamkos

Blake Wheeler

Mike Hoffman

Brayden Schenn

Mark Stone

and wasn't even a top 6 forward the whole season. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

He will be a RFA with arbitration rights again.

It doesn't hurt him.

He won't be a UFA so it doesn't hurt the Flames too much either.

It's definitely a deal you do if you don't know where the club will be with the top 6.

But I suspect they will regret it in two years.

Is there enough room for Hoffman, Vatanen or Hamonic even? Think Kylington still needs to get signed. I’d be all for Hoffman but don’t think we’re in the his asking price range. Perhaps we can get a guy like Vatanen to help out the PP...the hole Brodie left gets bigger by the day! 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Don't get me wrong I like both and would agree Dube's upside is higher. But food for thought Mangiapange outscored (goals) the following players at 5 on 5 last year:

Steven Stamkos

Blake Wheeler

Mike Hoffman

Brayden Schenn

Mark Stone

and wasn't even a top 6 forward the whole season. 

I wouldn't be sad if he has a 70-point break out season.  Depends if he gets PP time.

23 minutes ago, rickross said:

Is there enough room for Hoffman, Vatanen or Hamonic even? Think Kylington still needs to get signed. I’d be all for Hoffman but don’t think we’re in the his asking price range. Perhaps we can get a guy like Vatanen to help out the PP...the hole Brodie left gets bigger by the day! 

Not unless a significant salary gets moves out with little in return. Flames right now have 4 million in space for a 17 player roster. so basically they have no cap space other than to just fill out the roster. 

While it's fair to argue Tanev vs Brodie i'm not sure where the hole is now. Brodie was not a fixture, or really a key part of, the PP and even if he was you've got Rasmus available or even Valimaki. Filing his shoes on the PK, well that is one era where Tanev excels, 5 on 5 and playing against tough competition?, again this is a strength of Tanev. 

I don't think Brodie leaving has left a hole with Tanev in the fold. Where I think it hurts the Flames is Tanev is not going to lead the rush like Brodie can but at the same time Ward is not asking his dmen to do that. Brodie's a much better player in the o zone than Tanev but it's also debatable of how much of an impact that will make. 

I am a big Brodie fan and i'll miss him but i'm not seeing a big hole here. 

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I wouldn't be sad if he has a 70-point break out season.  Depends if he gets PP time.

And that is so true for a few of these young guys. We still may see more changes but I also hope Ward is more creative with his PP and his utilization because your not going to have Dube or Mang, or really any young player, really breakout if all you do is ride your number 1 unit. 

There's logic in why he does it but hopefully at least to start the season they can try something else. 

22 minutes ago, cross16 said:

And that is so true for a few of these young guys. We still may see more changes but I also hope Ward is more creative with his PP and his utilization because your not going to have Dube or Mang, or really any young player, really breakout if all you do is ride your number 1 unit. 

There's logic in why he does it but hopefully at least to start the season they can try something else. 

Gus was the PP1 D-man this summer, and I think it has to be someone creative there in his lace.

Gio is the wrong choice, but would be Ward's logical choice.

Valimaki or Ras should be considered over Gio for PP1.

PP2 should be whichever of those 2 is not on PP1.

Both are decent puck movers.

If nothing changes, I think the Flames need a bottom 6 RW. RHS forwards are really picked over in UFA.

Perry

Lewis

Leivo

Karlsson

Weise

I'd almost rather give Gawdin and Phillips bottom 6 opportunity than any of the above. Offensively, I think the 2 Flames farmhands offer more upside. I also think Gawdin will kill penalties, effectively filling Reider/Janko's role. 

Dube-Bennett-Phillips

Lucic-Ryan-Gawdin

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

He is limited in his ability, but I think he is fine as a 3rd pair at this price.

That’s a great deal for Ceci he’s definitely not where he should be but if given a chance I think he could turn it around, I think Pits could help him and it’s a great deal 

at that price Cgy should have taken a chance on him, maybe push Hanifin a bit, I’m sure one of the two would emerge...oh well, hopefully BT is working on the RW issue which is more important at this stage of the game 

16 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

If nothing changes, I think the Flames need a bottom 6 RW. RHS forwards are really picked over in UFA.

Perry

Lewis

Leivo

Karlsson

Weise

I'd almost rather give Gawdin and Phillips bottom 6 opportunity than any of the above. Offensively, I think the 2 Flames farmhands offer more upside. I also think Gawdin will kill penalties, effectively filling Reider/Janko's role. 

Dube-Bennett-Phillips

Lucic-Ryan-Gawdin

agreed but picking up one or two of those for like 700/800k for one year would be rather good insurance low

risk low cost 

Archived