THE PLAYOFFS 2018-19: CALGARY FLAMES EDITION

rickross

Oooo Dallas, I'm scared.

Has anyone else watched other games this year without thinking, "we're a lot better than these teams"?

I think Dallas should fall. It would be fun.

sallaD, lol. Aka Radulov's team.

I hope it does end up that way, Business side of oil North vs Business side of oil South.

Bring it.

Backing in is always a great idea when it comes to the playoffs.

I'd rather crush Dallas first. Because people seem to have their doubts that we will.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The yearly accusation of teams tanking for tactical advantage.

Why not?

Positioning yourself to take advantage of facing a more desirable opponent is a sound strategy.

Some possible evidence from last night:

• Benn, Polak, Zuccarello rested last night - only Benn significant here as Zuccarello just returned from LTIR.
  • The Stars 1 & 2 offensive leaders, Seguin & Radulov, had their minutes trimmed by roughly 25% from their average.

d201f1381272befd1623c6d217f594ae.png

I personally think the Stars, having clinched a spot, rested some players & weren't really invested in the game.

If Dallas really wants to play the Flames bring them on.

We will exterminate them with extreme prejudice! B)

44 minutes ago, Pyromancer said:

The yearly accusation of teams tanking for tactical advantage.

Why not?

Positioning yourself to take advantage of facing a more desirable opponent is a sound strategy.

Some possible evidence from last night:

• Benn, Polak, Zuccarello rested last night - only Benn significant here as Zuccarello just returned from LTIR.
  • The Stars 1 & 2 offensive leaders, Seguin & Radulov, had their minutes trimmed by roughly 25% from their average.

d201f1381272befd1623c6d217f594ae.png

I personally think the Stars, having clinched a spot, rested some players & weren't really invested in the game.

If Dallas really wants to play the Flames bring them on.

We will exterminate them with extreme prejudice! B)

Rest your stars?  Why not.

I don't buy into the lose to face...

Dallas can only do so much to influence the seeding.

They have to do worse than going to OT or SO.  Single point gets them 7th regardless of COL.

COL has to get 2 points to even have a chance of being 7th.

Drop the dang puck.

I do think the Flames can beat anyone but Dallas is probably one of the worst matchups they can have. They do a great job in the neutral zone of taking away speed and the middle of the ice and they've done a great job against the flames turning the game into a slower, low event game which doesn't suit their style. I still think they would be favoured but I think it would mean a longer series, 6 or 7, and they are really going to need their power play. Just not an ideal matchup whereas I think Colorado would be done in 4 or 5 games. 

On 2019-04-05 at 9:27 AM, JTech780 said:

Triggered!!

This is my biggest pet peeve with the NHL. The OTL point is the dumbest thing in pro sports IMO. Wins don't mean as much if a team with fewer wins can be ahead in the standings. The NHL either needs to change to the 3 point system or do away with the OTL point altogether. 

I am also starting to really lean into the 1 to 8 playoff format, and basically only have divisions for scheduling purposes. Let's keep the top teams in the playoffs longer. For example Boston is the 3rd best team in the NHL right now and they will most likely have to face Tampa in the 2nd round.

We have an 82 grind of a regular season let's make it mean more.

How could anyone not like this finish, the NHL could not have scripted it any better. 

Every game matters, even the very last one.

Bravo NHL!

38 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

How could anyone not like this finish, the NHL could not have scripted it any better. 

Every game matters, even the very last one.

Bravo NHL!

I guess for the casual fan this is great. To me it makes the NHL less legitimate. The fact that Colorado could make the playoffs with Arizona having more wins is a joke. There's also the fact that St. Louis could win the division with less wins than both Winnipeg and Nashville is also a joke. The other one is that Pittsburgh could be 3rd in the division with having less wins than Carolina and Columbus. What is the point of the regular season if the teams that get the most wins Miss the playoffs or don't get the advantages of winning their division. 

It's great that their is this push for the playoffs, but the NHL is basically saying that winning games doesn't matter.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I guess for the casual fan this is great. To me it makes the NHL less legitimate. The fact that Colorado could make the playoffs with Arizona having more wins is a joke. There's also the fact that St. Louis could win the division with less wins than both Winnipeg and Nashville is also a joke. The other one is that Pittsburgh could be 3rd in the division with having less wins than Carolina and Columbus. What is the point of the regular season if the teams that get the most wins Miss the playoffs or don't get the advantages of winning their division. 

It's great that their is this push for the playoffs, but the NHL is basically saying that winning games doesn't matter.

well i guess we cant say Dallas isnt trying , but .. at this moment theyre outshooting MIN 33-13.. but down 1-0.... %#^$#^

correction .. disallowed.. woo hoo!

Now it’s official. Playoff time is upon us! Avs will be our 1st test and I’m excited to see the level of skill and speed that will be on display. This could be one of the higher scoring playoff matchups, let’s hope the Flames keep lighting it up! Curious to see which top team(s) get ousted in the 1st round by an upset...happens every year! 

19 minutes ago, Pyromancer said:

There is something that just doesn't seem right about the schedule addendum as shown above. <_<

You mean having to play games 5-7?

Or having it available on radio?

I find the concept of Stanley Cup Playoffs on radio a bit strange in this day and age.

On a positive note, we don;t have to listen to Randorf/Debrusk.

Or Galley or Christine Simpson talking about the Flames.

I don't get the dislike for Cassie. I think she does a great job, I much prefer her to Hrudey who IMO doesn't add anything to the game. Hrudey's commentary is mostly just awkward, and he just talks about all his old school goalie friends. I find Cassie actually brings good analysis to the game. 

I do think Hrudey does a good job in the studio, but there he has more time to think about his comments and analysis, he just doesn't do a good job of doing it in the moment from the booth.

OK...guilty as charged B)

It was a stab at Cassie as the colour analyst in a indirect politically correct way.

She spends too much time stating the obvious & not enough time on independently-derived insightful analysis.

As she gets more experience, she has & will definitely improve but the playoffs are on an entirely different level.

I really don't mind her but I'd rather hear from an analyst that has been around the NHL as a player, management, coach, or media for a significant period of time to give us deeper insight into the playoff series.

7 minutes ago, Pyromancer said:

It was a stab at Cassie as the colour analyst in a indirect politically correct way.

She spends too much time stating the obvious & not enough time on independently-derived insightful analysis.

As she gets more experience, she has & will definitely improve but the playoffs are on an entirely different level.

I really don't mind her but I'd rather hear from an analyst that has been around the NHL as a player, management, coach, or media for a significant period of time to give us deeper insight into the playoff series.

Everyone has their preferences and we all aren't going to see things the same way.

I for one think Garry Galley is one of the best in the business and would prefer him over just about anyone.

I also think Louie DeBrusk does a good job, even if he does lean slightly in favor of the Oilers, but I think he tries his best to be fair to both teams. He is just around the Oilers all the time.

I think Rick Ball is one of the best play by play guys in the business and it's awesome getting to hear him call games all season.

I was watching the Bruins game yesterday and I am just glad that we don't have to ever listen to Jack Edwards, far and away the worst broadcaster in the sport and it's not even close. The guy is a joke and makes a mockery of every game he calls.

34 minutes ago, Pyromancer said:

I have to agree.  I also find her quite boring and not a fit with Ball.  Nothing to do with her gender, as I find most of the CBC/Sportsnet staff completely dreadful.  Lucky for me I don't have to listen to her every game.

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

I have to agree.  I also find her quite boring and not a fit with Ball.  Nothing to do with her gender, as I find most of the CBC/Sportsnet staff completely dreadful.  Lucky for me I don't have to listen to her every game.

I find her boring. It’s not what she says but how she is so monotone. She loses is my interest when she speaks and I tune her out.

Hopefully we stick to a plan and execute.

The Flames are indeed 1 of the best team's in the league when they are on their game. Hopefully the nerves settle quickly and they can focus on playing their game.

Can we get off the Cassie Campbell thing already, make her own thread so the rest of us don't have to listen to the same thing in every thread that her name comes up in.

Constantly assassinating her is about character, and not hers. Hanging on her every word for the sole purpose of ridiculing her is lowbrow. You can do that to anyone.

Archived