THE PLAYOFFS 2018-19: CALGARY FLAMES EDITION

rickross

We are officially playoff bound!! Credit to the Flames for having one of the most successful regular seasons in franchise history and capping it off with an early playoff berth! 

As it stands the wild card spots are still sorting themselves out and we currently sit atop the Western Conference with a 6 pts lead! With their ticket punched it’s time to start focusing on the playoff season!

Is this THE year!? How far can this team go? Does playoff experience matter? Which matchups do you prefer/fear? 

Lets chop it up!!!

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Props to the Blackhawks for beating the Sharks at home! They’re on a nice losing streak right now..it nice knowing it’s been nullifying our loses. Ducks up next and it’s a must win...think we can pretty much clinch 1st with a win barring some horrific losing streak of our own to end the season. 

1 minute ago, Thebrewcrew said:

2 wins to clinch the division now or 2 Sharks losses.

How about wrapping the Pacific up this weekend?

Was just saying! We are sooo close! I’m wondering if the pressure of securing 1st is weighing in the team right now..their not finessing opponents like they used to. Need to start coming out on top of these pre-playoff style games

Getting excited for the playoffs but here is one thing that really bothers me....

Why are the playoffs reffed differently to the regular season?    It is the same sport, the same rules and I think it should be consistency for both.  Okay oxymoron there reffing and consistentcy but you know what I mean.

5 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Getting excited for the playoffs but here is one thing that really bothers me....

Why are the playoffs reffed differently to the regular season?    It is the same sport, the same rules and I think it should be consistency for both.  Okay oxymoron there reffing and consistentcy but you know what I mean.

It’s an excellent question. The only thing I can imagine is the intensity ramps up significantly during the playoffs so in order to maintain a smoother game flow is what I’d assume. You are right though , why are games officiated so blatantly different,  just because it’s the end of the season ? 

Teams like the Ducks do seem to get receive preferred officiating during the playoffs. Stuff as blatant as that blown NFL pass interference call that was recently missed between the Saints vs Rams in that conference final...stuff like robbing the Flames in game 6 back in 2004...yeah

6 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

The 1st round is more like the regular season.  The refs are inconsistent.  After the 1st round, they eliminate a few refs that have been bad.  It's still inconsistent.  Watchiong games you see calls and non-calls completely different.

It is looking extremely likely that we play Colorado in Round 1, it would take a pretty epic collapse from Colorado to lose their spot.

That being said, what to people like/not like about a first round matchup with Colorado? 

Obviously they have one of the most dangerous lines in the game, outside of that are they a one line team? Do they have the supporting cast to get it done?

I have Flames in 5, maybe 6.

4 hours ago, Kipper14 said:

It is looking extremely likely that we play Colorado in Round 1, it would take a pretty epic collapse from Colorado to lose their spot.

That being said, what to people like/not like about a first round matchup with Colorado? 

Obviously they have one of the most dangerous lines in the game, outside of that are they a one line team? Do they have the supporting cast to get it done?

For me, I like the matchup.

Probably gives us the best chance at scoring goals more frequently.

Me likey.

I would not predict a number of games before I know the starter.

Rittich had 24 saves on 26 shots and 32 saves on 35 shots.

Smith had 21 saves in 26 shots.

That was then.

Who knows what now looks like.

11 hours ago, Kipper14 said:

I don’t like any matchup! Lol...they’re all just impediments. On paper the Avs are a preferable opponent, not much depth, goaltending could be questionable...we need to watch out for an underdog like Colorado. We’re not unbeatable and Avs are starved for the post season. They could stand to qualify for the playoffs and still win the Draft..it’s house money they’ll be playing with. 

Is it time to start talking about the Blues? At one point they fell out of orbit and now their chasing the division lead. Looks like they’d play the Preds if the playoffs started today. They’re riding Binnington pretty hard but they are a team that can be hard to play against when they’re clicking 

10 hours ago, rickross said:

Is it time to start talking about the Blues? At one point they fell out of orbit and now their chasing the division lead. Looks like they’d play the Preds if the playoffs started today. They’re riding Binnington pretty hard but they are a team that can be hard to play against when they’re clicking 

Can you explain the re-seeding if it exists after round 1?

I think we would play the winner of the Sharks/VGK series, so we may not face STL unless they made it out of round 2, assuming they get that far.

Am I right or do we play the lower seeded team in the Central winner vs 7th seed?

The Pacific only has 3 teams in, unless ARI comes back and takes it from COL.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

I think we would play the winner of the Sharks/VGK series, so we may not face STL unless they made it out of round 2, assuming they get that far.

Am I right or do we play the lower seeded team in the Central winner vs 7th seed?

I think we play one of SJ or VGK

In the First Round, the division winner with the best record in each conference will be matched against the wild card with the lesser record; the wild card with the better record will play the other division winner.

The teams finishing second and third in each division will meet in the First Round within the bracket headed by their respective division winner. First-round winners within each bracket play one another in the Second Round to determine the four participants in the Conference Finals.

After dispatching our 1st round opponent, likely COL, less likely ARI or DAL, very longshot MIN or CHI; we will definitely play one of SJS or the VGK.

This was absolutely confirmed after last night's results. Hopefully they kick the living crap out of each other.

In a sense, when we thrash either SJS or VGK in the 2nd round, we will then be Pacific Division Champions although i don't really think it is recognized as such due to the presence of wild cards in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

There's no re-seeding. The second we clinched the conference on Sunday night, we were guaranteed to play the second wildcard team in the first round (likely COL), then the winner of SJS/VGK in the second round. If we make it to the third round, it'll be whoever's left of the remaining western teams (for my money, I'm going with STL, who are peaking at just the right time).

2 hours ago, Pyromancer said:

After dispatching our 1st round opponent, likely COL, less likely ARI or DAL, very longshot MIN or CHI; we will definitely play one of SJS or the VGK.

This was absolutely confirmed after last night's results. Hopefully they kick the living crap out of each other.

In a sense, when we thrash either SJS or VGK in the 2nd round, we will then be Pacific Division Champions although i don't really think it is recognized as such due to the presence of wild cards in the playoffs.

I guess it keeps the rivalries alive.

It would be interesting to see the lowest seed after round one.

Mind you, that could be a tough matchup.

I hope they keep it similar to the way it is today.

West and East separate.

I could care less if TOR is elimated early and the SCF is the 8th place team in the East vs best of the West.

Next year it might reverse with the West being the powerhouse.

Poor babies.

Come on BOS, destroy the Laffs.

CAR (or MTL or BJ's) cream the Bolts.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I guess it keeps the rivalries alive.

It would be interesting to see the lowest seed after round one.

Mind you, that could be a tough matchup.

I hope they keep it similar to the way it is today.

West and East separate.

I could care less if TOR is elimated early and the SCF is the 8th place team in the East vs best of the West.

Next year it might reverse with the West being the powerhouse.

Poor babies.

Come on BOS, destroy the Laffs.

CAR (or MTL or BJ's) cream the Bolts.

I’d like it to be drawn out and a tough one. If we can get to the finals vs Tampa, it really showed how rest helps. Game 7 the Flames were tired with one last push in the 3rd. That was the best 10 minutes of a game I’ve ever seen a team play. I wanted to cry that third period with the effort they put in. 

36 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I’d like it to be drawn out and a tough one. If we can get to the finals vs Tampa, it really showed how rest helps. Game 7 the Flames were tired with one last push in the 3rd. That was the best 10 minutes of a game I’ve ever seen a team play. I wanted to cry that third period with the effort they put in. 

Tampa will be in tough to get to the SCF.

They have a very good regular season team with depth in all positions.

But they face a tough conference to come out of.

All in all, I think we could challenge them.

Very few teams (if any) that I am terrified of.

I only have 2 worries about this playoff:

1. Long layovers between games our boys have a bad habit of being lazy (slow start of the season and after the all star break) and in a playoff run we can’t afford that habit 

2. Tampa, most likely to set an NHL win recoded we can compete with them but I don’t think we have beaten them outside of maybe the first game of the season against them...I know we lost the most recent two against them, all be it close we still lost...I’m hoping it’s cause the East is easier to play in then the west is why Tampa is such a titian but they seem next to unstoppable which worries me just like in 04...although We are a much better team than then, so are they I really hope we don’t face them in the final...also SJ and Wpg could cause us issues but I’m more comfortable with them...it’s really just TB and also if we shoot our selves in the foot see point#1

otherwise this is as good a year as any maybe even the next few years 😊

Yup we shall face with Vegas or SJ in round 2. I think they’ll be destroyed after that series is over, we should hope for a game 7. We can beat either team...I’d prefer to play the Sharks tbh...winning in Vegas is a tough feat!...and I’m not talking about the slots! 

I would not want to face the Blues tbh...their belief level has to be sky high considering their recent surge. If Arizona sneaks in, expect to see a lot of Smitty in net! 

17 minutes ago, rickross said:

Yup we shall face with Vegas or SJ in round 2. I think they’ll be destroyed after that series is over, we should hope for a game 7. We can beat either team...I’d prefer to play the Sharks tbh...winning in Vegas is a tough feat!...and I’m not talking about the slots! 

I would not want to face the Blues tbh...their belief level has to be sky high considering their recent surge. If Arizona sneaks in, expect to see a lot of Smitty in net! 

Should Berube not be a frontrunner for coach of the year? They went from bottom-fondlers to huge threat since he was hired.

18 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Should Berube not be a frontrunner for coach of the year? They went from bottom-fondlers to huge threat since he was hired.

He’s gotta be in the conversation now, very impressive turn around for them this year. Blues are a tough team to figure out, their pretty balanced with good D, skill and size. Think they play the Preds as it stands , should make for a interesting series. 

1 hour ago, rickross said:

He’s gotta be in the conversation now, very impressive turn around for them this year. Blues are a tough team to figure out, their pretty balanced with good D, skill and size. Think they play the Preds as it stands , should make for a interesting series. 

Never really paid attention before because the only worry around here is "staying ahead of the Preds", but the Blues are only 2 pts back on both Preds and Jets. With a game in hand on both. They're still in the race for tops of the Central.

15 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Never really paid attention before because the only worry around here is "staying ahead of the Preds", but the Blues are only 2 pts back on both Preds and Jets. With a game in hand on both. They're still in the race for tops of the Central.

Yup.

Archived