THE PLAYOFFS 2018-19: CALGARY FLAMES EDITION

rickross

Hey would you rather Dave Randorf, John Garrett calling our games ? There are way worse options out there. Who cares anyway, we’re in the playoffs! 

I think it’d be great if we can really tighten our defensive game up against the Avs. A shutout here and there in the series is a nice confidence boost for the goalies. I could see the 1st game being a bit of a track meet with a pretty high score but things should settle down by game 2

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, rickross said:

Hey would you rather Dave Randorf, John Garrett calling our games ? There are way worse options out there. Who cares anyway, we’re in the playoffs! 

I think it’d be great if we can really tighten our defensive game up against the Avs. A shutout here and there in the series is a nice confidence boost for the goalies. I could see the 1st game being a bit of a track meet with a pretty high score but things should settle down by game 2

Pressure the puck. Right out of the gate, get skating.

Our roster is deep, just pressure them, take the turnovers and finish. Guys like Frolik, Mangia and Hathaway are excellent on the forecheck. Get on their D early.

Set the tone for the series.

18 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

https://www.nhl.com/video/nhl-tonight-avalanche-vs-flames/t-277774708/c-67567003

Clearly they haven't watched much of us, top 10 in GA and the question is can we defend lol

Lack of experience and goaltending. Can’t get games in until you’ve had the chance to play in them. Now, when this team is on and engaged they can play and beat anyone.

i think if they can limit the giveaways they can shut the first line down. Giveaways, to me, seem to be the Achilles of this team. We have possession so it’s where they get the puck that’s going to be important.

23 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Because the Flames want to start the first period like it's the third period.

;)

I really hope the Flames don’t get into the habit of trailing in games. That 3rd period magic worked in the regular season but I don’t think it’s realistic throughout the playoffs. 

It is absolutely ridiculous the amount of disrespect that Calgary is getting from the media. Basically nobody outside of Calgary is giving this team a chance in the playoffs, even going as far as to say that the Flames are the most likely team to get upset. I am going to go out on a limb and say they haven't watched too many Flames games this year.

I think this actually could be a great thing for this team, the media just gave them another big reason to go out and play with a chip on their shoulders and prove everyone wrong, just like they have been all season long. I think it is a much better place to be in than a team like Tampa that has all the pressure in the world to succeed.

Colorado is lucky to even be in the playoffs. 

Once we finish off the Avs, we will take out SJ or Vegas. SJ has worse goaltending than we do and their team is as old as dirt. Vegas has shown that the magic is starting to wear off, time for them to go home before their carriage turn back into a pumpkin.

The Blues are the only team that is playing well from the central going into the playoffs. The Jets and the Preds usually find ways to not make it to the Cup final.

Not saying it will be easy, but the West is there for the taking and we have a great opportunity to come out victorious.

I don't think it's that bad. Check out the first-round predictions on NHL.com. Every expert they included picked the Flames to get to the second round. The only other unanimous picks were Tampa and Washington (though I find that odd... Washington's a good team, but Carolina would scare me).

https://www.nhl.com/news/stanley-cup-playoffs-first-round-predictions-by-nhlcom-staff-members/c-306567428

Sporting News is saying Flames in 5.

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/news/nhl-playoffs-2019-predictions-odds-flames-avalanche/1fppdh2omiftt1trlynpmtkmok

And even the bookies are giving us the second best chance next to Tampa.

6 hours ago, JTech780 said:

It is absolutely ridiculous the amount of disrespect that Calgary is getting from the media. Basically nobody outside of Calgary is giving this team a chance in the playoffs, even going as far as to say that the Flames are the most likely team to get upset. I am going to go out on a limb and say they haven't watched too many Flames games this year.

I think this actually could be a great thing for this team, the media just gave them another big reason to go out and play with a chip on their shoulders and prove everyone wrong, just like they have been all season long. I think it is a much better place to be in than a team like Tampa that has all the pressure in the world to succeed.

Colorado is lucky to even be in the playoffs. 

Once we finish off the Avs, we will take out SJ or Vegas. SJ has worse goaltending than we do and their team is as old as dirt. Vegas has shown that the magic is starting to wear off, time for them to go home before their carriage turn back into a pumpkin.

The Blues are the only team that is playing well from the central going into the playoffs. The Jets and the Preds usually find ways to not make it to the Cup final.

Not saying it will be easy, but the West is there for the taking and we have a great opportunity to come out victorious.

I actually like the disrespect, we don’t need any unnecessary distractions or added attention/pressure. It gives us underdog momentum even though we won the West and finished 2nd in the league. I love that we’re still under the radar 

There's only two ways we lose the series,

1. Smith and Rittich play near sv .800%.
  2. Monahan is less than 50% healthy.

I don't think anything the Avs do will matter much in the grand scheme of things including a stellar performance by Grubauer.  We are the favorites.  We control our fate in this series.

After looking at the numbers posted on fam960.com in the preview I see the Avs win the special teams number. They have a significantly better PP and we only have a slightly better PK. 

Our PP can be pretty easy to shut down so this is where the series can be lost. We’ll need to out score them 5vs5 to win. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

After looking at the numbers posted on fam960.com in the preview I see the Avs win the special teams number. They have a significantly better PP and we only have a slightly better PK. 

Our PP can be pretty easy to shut down so this is where the series can be lost. We’ll need to out score them 5vs5 to win. 

We have been one of the best in the league at 5v5.

Over 82 games, the PP and PK have ebbs and flows, but 5v5 we have been pretty darn consistent.

In spite of the naysayers in the media, we have a powerhouse team.

55 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Over 82 games, the PP and PK have ebbs and flows, but 5v5 we have been pretty darn consistent.

I agree, 

but in critical/playoff games momentum most likely is won or lost through special teams. 

What we do do with our momentum is key. Get goals. I wanna see better shot placement to shoot for rebounds instead of making the goalie look good. Getting more shots is good, we need to generate more off of initial shots. If Grubauer is on, then we need traffic. 

Just analyzing, and thinking about what we need to succeed. Special Teams need to be in the good parts of those ebbs and flows. 

We have had success and streaks where we scored PP in bunches. Will our PK still be a threat for shorties? Go Janks! 

I don’t know if game 1 is the most important game as I think it’s a chance to analyze what the opponent’s strategies are. Peters has been good at making changes that paid off all season, so will he continue to be able counter strategy effectively in the playoffs?

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I also agree that we have a solid club. I remember when the Flames didn't really get the proper attention they deserved when we had the '89 team. If that team couldn't get no respect, then I really don't ever expect it.

I am trying to think this through like an Av fan. I suppose you try to deploy the top line on the pp, try to get the right matches at home, use your speed ... and then I run out of ideas. I guess you try and exploit goaltending with as many shots as possible. What does Colorado have that they can use to win this series?

6 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I also agree that we have a solid club. I remember when the Flames didn't really get the proper attention they deserved when we had the '89 team. If that team couldn't get no respect, then I really don't ever expect it.

I am trying to think this through like an Av fan. I suppose you try to deploy the top line on the pp, try to get the right matches at home, use your speed ... and then I run out of ideas. I guess you try and exploit goaltending with as many shots as possible. What does Colorado have that they can use to win this series?

My bet is we see a lot of them crashing Smith to start, in crease mayhem. Most teams that aren’t as deep will get bodies in front.  You hope the refs call it on them when they do crash the net. 

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I wonder if Rantanen will be healthy enough to start the series. They're saying he will, but they always say that.

He's been out since March 21st and barely just started skating again.

And hasn't Landeskog been out for several weeks?

Archived