THE PLAYOFFS 2018-19: CALGARY FLAMES EDITION

rickross

2 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Never really paid attention before because the only worry around here is "staying ahead of the Preds", but the Blues are only 2 pts back on both Preds and Jets. With a game in hand on both. They're still in the race for tops of the Central.

Exactly. They could be a team to really pay attention to in the playoffs , perfect storm for them all season, new coach effect, and they’re surging at the right time. 

Flames game 1 is going to be bananas, the lay-off between games could really be tricky. The Avs (likely) have skill on both sides of the puck, elite top line...when clicking...THE top line!..mobile D men who can provide a bit of offence too. They’re goalies don’t scare anyone but this team is playoff starved coming in as the underdog. This could go 6-7 games

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, rickross said:

Flames game 1 is going to be bananas, the lay-off between games could really be tricky. The Avs (likely) have skill on both sides of the puck, elite top line...when clicking...THE top line!..mobile D men who can provide a bit of offence too. They’re goalies don’t scare anyone but this team is playoff starved coming in as the underdog. This could go 6-7 games

The Avs top line is ridiculously good. On the other hand, their 2nd to 4th lines are mediocre at best. If we have the 3M line vs their 1st line, the rest of our team should just feast on them. The biggest question is will Grubauer collapse in the playoffs again like last year. 

8 hours ago, Khrox said:

The Avs top line is ridiculously good. On the other hand, their 2nd to 4th lines are mediocre at best. If we have the 3M line vs their 1st line, the rest of our team should just feast on them. The biggest question is will Grubauer collapse in the playoffs again like last year. 

Let’s get the 3M line to play their top line. They’re the more likely line to provide offence while in a checking role.

Then the Gaudreau line can do what they please. 

Wear them down with the other two lines, which are skilled enough to pop a goal here and there.

just please be ready after in our own zone face offs and stick to your assignments. Don’t get caught watching!

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Let’s get the 3M line to play their top line. They’re the more likely line to provide offence while in a checking role.

Then the Gaudreau line can do what they please. 

Wear them down with the other two lines, which are skilled enough to pop a goal here and there.

just please be ready after in our own zone face offs and stick to your assignments. Don’t get caught watching!

I would say that the top line can play power vs power any night.

They do struggle with some teams, but those are mostly heavy teams.

At home, play the 3M line against the Mc line.  If that doesn't work so well, pick the Dag or top line.

On the road, play the top line when ever you get an offensive draw, or put Ryan out there and switch players while you have possession.

The DAG line will give any team fits.  Since the TDL, they have been on for something like 17 goals for and zero against.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

I would say that the top line can play power vs power any night.

They do struggle with some teams, but those are mostly heavy teams.

At home, play the 3M line against the Mc line.  If that doesn't work so well, pick the Dag or top line.

On the road, play the top line when ever you get an offensive draw, or put Ryan out there and switch players while you have possession.

The DAG line will give any team fits.  Since the TDL, they have been on for something like 17 goals for and zero against.

What is the DAG line? 

First names abbreviated? 

Derek, Andrew, Garnet?

i feel the same about the 1st line but I think get their confidence going by giving them favourable match ups. Let them exploit while we know The 3M can stop almost anyone and chip some in.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

What is the DAG line? 

First names abbreviated? 

Derek, Andrew, Garnet?

i feel the same about the 1st line but I think get their confidence going by giving them favourable match ups. Let them exploit while we know The 3M can stop almost anyone and chip some in.

That name has been used by the players.  It's a thing now.

The 3rd line is the one I worry about the most.

Other than maybe the last two games, they have been getting burned.

4 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

1 more point for Dallas and it’s an old fashioned Northwest division battle between Flames and Avs.

It would be tough the Avs are playing very well 

Avs are dangerous right now. Rantanen coning back, we will have our hands full. Flames will need to be ready from the get go, no messing around! 

18 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

1 more point for Dallas and it’s an old fashioned Northwest division battle between Flames and Avs.

It would be tough the Avs are playing very well 

I would much rather the Avs than Dallas. 

Grubauer's playoff stats:

4 Games, 4.24 GAA, .835 Save%

I will be cheering for Dallas tomorrow vs. Chicago.

17 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I would much rather the Avs than Dallas. 

Grubauer's playoff stats:

4 Games, 4.24 GAA, .835 Save%

I will be cheering for Dallas tomorrow vs. Chicago.

We might see DAL and COL intentionally lose out on their remaining available pts in an attempt to get the Flames and avoid top Central team, who knows what these teams are thinking.

2 hours ago, rickross said:

Avs are dangerous right now. Rantanen coning back, we will have our hands full. Flames will need to be ready from the get go, no messing around! 

The way they are talking, they don't even know if he will be ready for round 1.

We line up pretty good against a team like that.

Similar is style.

We have more depth.

We struggle against the slower, methodical teams like Dallas.

If I was the in the Central, I would be worried about finishing 1st; get stuck playing Dallas in R1.

Preds-STL or WPG-STL would be fun to watch.

7 hours ago, CheersMan said:

We might see DAL and COL intentionally lose out on their remaining available pts in an attempt to get the Flames and avoid top Central team, who knows what these teams are thinking.

Issue is that it wont be until the absolute last game before anyone knows who finishes where in the central.

1 hour ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Issue is that it wont be until the absolute last game before anyone knows who finishes where in the central.

If DAL gets a point or better tonight then it doesn't matter what COL does on the very last game.

The NHL likes the standings drama drawn out for as long as possible with teams bunched together, that's why I believe we will never see a change in the point structure. 

Keeps the viewers watching until the bitter end.

55 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

If DAL gets a point or better tonight then it doesn't matter what COL does on the very last game.

The NHL likes the standings drama drawn out for as long as possible with teams bunched together, that's why I believe we will never see a change in the point structure. 

Keeps the viewers watching until the bitter end.

You’re right and at the moment Arizona has more wins than Colorado and yet Arizona is golfing by Sunday. Colorado was just better at losing and getting the loser point than Arizona

10 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

You’re right and at the moment Arizona has more wins than Colorado and yet Arizona is golfing by Sunday. Colorado was just better at losing and getting the loser point than Arizona

Triggered!!

This is my biggest pet peeve with the NHL. The OTL point is the dumbest thing in pro sports IMO. Wins don't mean as much if a team with fewer wins can be ahead in the standings. The NHL either needs to change to the 3 point system or do away with the OTL point altogether. 

I am also starting to really lean into the 1 to 8 playoff format, and basically only have divisions for scheduling purposes. Let's keep the top teams in the playoffs longer. For example Boston is the 3rd best team in the NHL right now and they will most likely have to face Tampa in the 2nd round.

We have an 82 grind of a regular season let's make it mean more.

7 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Triggered!!

This is my biggest pet peeve with the NHL. The OTL point is the dumbest thing in pro sports IMO. Wins don't mean as much if a team with fewer wins can be ahead in the standings. The NHL either needs to change to the 3 point system or do away with the OTL point altogether. 

I am also starting to really lean into the 1 to 8 playoff format, and basically only have divisions for scheduling purposes. Let's keep the top teams in the playoffs longer. For example Boston is the 3rd best team in the NHL right now and they will most likely have to face Tampa in the 2nd round.

I think the old rules with ties would even it out if they think getting to OT means you deserve a point. Just end it after 3-3 OT if no one wins.

i also like the idea of just wins and losses

7 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Triggered!!

Ya man.  3-point system.

3-regulation win

2-OT/SO win

1-OT/SO loss

0-regulation loss

Wills is quite concerned that Dallas is intentionally trying to drop down to face the Flames. 

I’m really not gonna lose any sleep if it’s the Stars or Avalanche. As of right now you’re 17 points ahead of the 2nd wildcard. Don’t over think it, the Flames are reallly good, deeper than both teams and have a better back end. It won’t be easy but Flames in 6 regardless of opponent

Aaaand for what it’s worth, Nashville and Winnipeg if either one ends up wining the division tomorrow, both have been limping into the post season. I really doubt Dallas is trying to lose and drop down. They are resting guys much like every other playoff team

11 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Wills is quite concerned that Dallas is intentionally trying to drop down to face the Flames. 

I’m really not gonna lose any sleep if it’s the Stars or Avalanche. As of right now you’re 17 points ahead of the 2nd wildcard. Don’t over think it, the Flames are reallly good, deeper than both teams and have a better back end. It won’t be easy but Flames in 6 regardless of opponent

Aaaand for what it’s worth, Nashville and Winnipeg if either one ends up wining the division tomorrow, both have been limping into the post season. I really doubt Dallas is trying to lose and drop down. They are resting guys much like every other playoff team

Exactly, drop down to play the Flames because... they think they match up better?  That's a mistake.  WPG and NSH have been below average this month.  They are the easier targets.  

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Interesting development for sure, I could see the Stars dropping down to face the Flames...they swept us this season already. Kinda funny, this whole time it was looking as though the Avs would be the opponent. I wonder how this changes Peters gameplay. It shouldn’t matter who we play but unfortunately it does lol

Archived