Sam Bennett

Going4TheCup

A good read on Bennett as well from George Johnson. Something he has only recently spoke about is his mom had a cancer diagnosis a few years ago that she has since recovered from. https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/my-game-is-growing/c-304931794.

Kid has dealt with a ton in his young career already and powered through it. I still don't believe we've seen the best Sam Bennett and he is going to get better. Maybe not top line center anymore, but I still refuse to put a cap on his potential because it's still there. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, cross16 said:

A good read on Bennett as well from George Johnson. Something he has only recently spoke about is his mom had a cancer diagnosis a few years ago that she has since recovered from. https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/my-game-is-growing/c-304931794.

Kid has dealt with a ton in his young career already and powered through it. I still don't believe we've seen the best Sam Bennett and he is going to get better. Maybe not top line center anymore, but I still refuse to put a cap on his potential because it's still there. 

Thank you for the update. I agree with you that he might be able to turn things around. At this point, the likelihood of that happening appears to be waning. He does have determination which is a big part of success.

• 5 months later...
2 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Apparently, he is still a restricted free agent after this deal? How does that work?

You get UFA after 7 years or age 27 whatever comes first. Bennett will only be at 6 years once the deal expires so remains an RFA 

This is pretty much it for Bennett. Likely his final “show me” deal as a Flame. Hopefully the kid finds his stride within the next 2 years. He’s got the sandpaper, just needs more offence. Very fair deal for both sides. If only BT could make all his deals this well balanced...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, rickross said:

This is pretty much it for Bennett. Likely his final “show me” deal as a Flame. Hopefully the kid finds his stride within the next 2 years. He’s got the sandpaper, just needs more offence. Very fair deal for both sides. If only BT could make all his deals this well balanced...

Hopefully BT works this magic with Tkachuk

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, rickross said:

Ah yes, that makes sense. That is why it is short, but generous/fair in terms of price tag. I sure hope that he gets decent line mates and decent ice time. No pressure eh?

3 hours ago, rickross said:

Wasnt this about the same point Backlund  figured it out ?

Hard to believe just some work with a skills coach and he never looked back.. apparently with him it was as simple as just holding the pick a second or 2 later 

Went to google it to remember the details , but surprise surprise we had a thread right here lol

15 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

Wasnt this about the same point Backlund  figured it out ?

Hard to believe just some work with a skills coach and he never looked back.. apparently with him it was as simple as just holding the pick a second or 2 later 

Went to google it to remember the details , but surprise surprise we had a thread right here lol

Bennett is the opposite of Backlund.

He needs to get rid of it sooner and use his line more.

Not sure that he would be a great match for Lucic, but who really knows.

• 4 weeks later...

Sam Bennett imho was a lot better in the playoffs this year, than he was in the regular season.

Why is this significant?

Because it was the opposite of the rest of his team.  Naturally, there is tonnes of talk on here about his poor regular season play, and trading him while keeping other players who let us down when it mattered most.

He's a keeper.  And he's due for a leg up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Sam Bennett imho was a lot better in the playoffs this year, than he was in the regular season.

Why is this significant?

Because it was the opposite of the rest of his team.  Naturally, there is tonnes of talk on here about his poor regular season play, and trading him while keeping other players who let us down when it mattered most.

He's a keeper.  And he's due for a leg up.

Whether or not a 5 game stretch in the playoffs makes up for a meh regular season is debateable.

Pretty hard to judge a player or team on one series.

Let me put it another way.

Player X has a poor first series, but is on fire for the rest of the playoffs.

Player Y has a great first series, but tails off for the rest of the playoffs.

Player Z plays consistently good for all 4 rounds.

Which is Bennett?

Hint - none of them.

Which is Gaudreau?

Hint - none of them.

This is neither Bennett hate nor Bennett love.  The lens you are looking through only sees value in one series.

He needs to up his game in the regular season, and the team needs to up ther game in the playoffs.

And they need to play more than one series to see who can take it to another level.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Whether or not a 5 game stretch in the playoffs makes up for a meh regular season is debateable.

Well I'm on the Yes side of that debate lol.

Buutttt....do you remember how Sam Bennett ended up skipping straight to the NHL to begin with?

And not trying to be confrontational...it's just a great story.

One of the few NHL players who has Never been in a playoff series where they didn't produce more than in the regular season.

Since Junior.

That is why he's gold and that is why it may not be reasonable to just "Lucic" Gaudreau into a playoff performer.

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Well I'm on the Yes side of that debate lol.

Buutttt....do you remember how Sam Bennett ended up skipping straight to the NHL to begin with?

And not trying to be confrontational...it's just a great story.

One of the few NHL players who has Never been in a playoff series where they didn't produce more than in the regular season.

Since Junior.

That is why he's gold and that is why it may not be reasonable to just "Lucic" Gaudreau into a playoff performer.

You are missing the point a bit maybe.

Suffice to say he did well by Flames standards this playoffs.

5 games is all.

Could he be a difference maker deeper or fade out.

No proof either way.

1g in 5 games against COL

3g in 9 games against ANA

2g in 6 games against VAN

What was that bum Monahan doing in those games?

1g in 5 games against COL

5g in 9 games against ANA

And that slacker Gaudreau?

0g in 5 games against COL

2g in 10 games against ANA

Depends how you look at things I guess.  He's a player you want to take into battle with you.  Is he going to make the dfference or do you need skill to shine through.

Remans to be seen.  

ok,

So, I am really not seeing myself missing the point lol.   Firstly I would like to say that I'm a pretty huge Monahan supporter and I put him in a similar category as Bennett.  Always have.   Also in terms of skill I consider all 3 of the below elite.   And yes, Gaudreau moreso.   But it's only enough to overcome his size in regular season play.

Bennett:     6g in 20 games   Now 23 years old    (did not get a ton of minutes)

Monahan:  8g in 20 games   Now 24 years old    (played  more minutes)

Gaudreau: 4g in 21 games   Now 26 years old   (played way more minutes)

So when you adjust for age and minutes, Bennet and Monahan are your guys.    Gaudreau not as much.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

ok,

So, I am really not seeing myself missing the point lol.   Firstly I would like to say that I'm a pretty huge Monahan supporter and I put him in a similar category as Bennett.  Always have.   Also in terms of skill I consider all 3 of the below elite.   And yes, Gaudreau moreso.   But it's only enough to overcome his size in regular season play.

Bennett:     6g in 20 games   Now 23 years old    (did not get a ton of minutes)

So when you adjust for age and minutes, Bennet and Monahan are your guys.    Gaudreau not as much.

There is no question Gaudreau has size issues, but it’s also true he’s your best player and you want him ( or better) there with you in the battle.  The challenge is to personally improve with more tenacity (the players), to put them in better positions to succeed (the coaches) as well as needing a little more luck (the fans’ prayers?).  There are maybe a handful or two players you might potentially trade for Gaudreau and even stay level, much less improve, but if that’s the requirement good luck trying.  The best and easiest option is #1, and hopefully both BT and BP are taking to heart option #2.  

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

ok,

Age is meaningless.

Games played:

Mony - 471 games - 363 points - 20 playoff games - 13 points

Gaudreau - 394 games - 387 points - 20 playoff games - 12 points

Bennett - 312 games - 116 points - 20 playoff games - 11 points

The only difference is minutes played.  I get that you believe we can't win in the playoffs with Gaudreau, but the evidence to support that is just opinion.

Perhaps Gio is the problem.  Perhaps always having a questionable old guy in nets is the problem.

Age is meaningless.

Maybe for Hugh Hefner but not really in hockey.

Games played:

Mony - 471 games - 363 points - 20 playoff games - 13 points

Gaudreau - 394 games - 387 points - 20 playoff games - 12 points

Bennett - 312 games - 116 points - 20 playoff games - 11 points

The only difference is minutes played.  I get that you believe we can't win in the playoffs with Gaudreau, but the evidence to support that is just opinion.

As is everything any of us have ever written haha :)  

But it's all we got.

Perhaps Gio is the problem.  Perhaps always having a questionable old guy in nets is the problem.

Well I'm not about to argue with those either.

That said,   I'm liking Bennett and Monahan.  Always have.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

^^^^^

Make a joke if you like, but you said that age factored in makes Gaudreau less effective.

Less likely to improve, just showing that he is in his prime, and those other guys are still very young and already outperforming him when it matters.  It's just a little silly how we're all like "imagine what Gaudreau could do if he wasn't small" or "maybe there is a way he can still perform in the playoffs".   Rather than "look at what Bennett and Monahan are Already doing in the playoffs" and "imagine how much better they Very Likely will Become as they approach their prime".       But most would rather like to just dream about their favorite player lol.    It'll be the same when Monahan or Bennett have their career years.  And that day will come.   

In any case my general comment here isn't about Gaudreau, it's about Bennett.  

People here get too high on some guys, and too down on other guys.   And, that's true of both Gaudreau and Bennett.  But Bennett especially.  

The fact that they can be compared directly, inherently bothers people.

The fact that Bennett can come out on top, Really aggravates people.

And that is because we're all a little nuts, to be honest.   Too much hyping, and too much bashing on here.  That is why I will tend to come down hard on the "favourites" and be more supportive of younger less accomplished players, even when they're in the proverbial doghouse.  Because odds are going to be in my favor on that over time.

Requirements for Gaudreau to become a top playoff producer:       
-Miracle.

Requirements for Bennett/Monahan to become top playoff producers:
-Don't screw up what they're already heading towards on their own.

Which is more likely?

Ok...possibly the miracle.  lol