Sam Bennett

Going4TheCup

54 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

What I see from Bennett is the failure to get a clean shot away most times.

Tries to dange to get away and shoot.

Telegraphs his shot, so a stick is on the shot reducing the velocity.

When it's a clean shot, it's not on nets, since he trying the perfect shot.

I would prefer him to drive the front of the net and stake a claim to it.

Let the other team take the penalty for trying to move you, not picking a player trying to defend.

Kind of my argument, go hit, pucks will come to you or your linemates. More hitting, less thinking. Play the way you want to play. Coaching be damned. Let's see intensity. Not benched for every time that you give it a shot and it goes south.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Kind of my argument, go hit, pucks will come to you or your linemates. More hitting, less thinking. Play the way you want to play. Coaching be damned. Let's see intensity. Not benched for every time that you give it a shot and it goes south.

I don't think he gets benched for his gritty play going south.

I think when he misses assignments, he gets in trouble.

They don't fault Tkachuk for being a pest and walking the line, so I think they recognize that from Bennett.

As such, Bennett needs to know where the line is.

The coach has called him out for his good play more than his penalties.

At least in the media.

• 4 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, 89Again said:

Does anyone know the status on the Bennett injury?  Is he really injured, seems strange there is no news but maybe I missed it?  Are they shopping him?

Still listed on IR, so he has to be cleared to play.

That hasn't happened yet, though he seemed closer when they were last on the road the end of November.

He last played November 16th.

Considering they just recalled Matt Phillips, I doubt he is close.

• 8 months later...

Bump of an old thread but I thought it made more sense that starting a new one. 

Conroy joined the fan 960 the other day and made some interesting comments in regards to Bennett. A summary:

- Drafted Sam as a center but have never had a coach who wanted to play him there. Says it's been frustrating. 

- Sam had expressed frustration to the club. Said he wanted to play center and he wanted a set role. Conroy agreed that have not done this, they just put him all over the place.

- Conroy was a referee for the intra squad games, and commented how you could see it on Sam's face how excited he was to be at center and in a role. 

- Says they were, obviously, very happy with his playoff in the playoffs. Felt he has some things to improve on the faceoff dot with details but they are anxious to see if he can improve upon them if given the season to do it. 

Mixed reviews on those comments. Not a good look at the organization handled their highest ever draft pick this way, but positive in the sense that it looks like they really want to give Sam Bennett a shot at center next year. That's exciting. 

I love a good bump!

Liking Controy more and more.  Loveable, positive....but still basically said that we screwed up Bennett's development.  In a super nice way (that I could never do lol).

Not sure sure about Bennett now (it's been too long) but I'd really like to see Conroy as GM.

6 hours ago, cross16 said:

... another good post, as per usual... 

You know, I have been watching this team for decades, and am quite accustomed to frustration. Watching them develop Sam Bennett has been one of the most frustrating endeavours yet. I have been reading a few boards, and I'm also a bit surprised that anyone considers his playoffs performance like it's some kind of revelation. He's always been there, but the Flames have never really given him an opportunity to succeed. Of all of the year-end interviews, his was my favourite because I got the distinct impression that he was happy to play for our team. If I were Sam Bennett, I probably would have made that phone call a few seasons ago - you know the one: 

5500bf74a14c8.image.jpg?resize=773,597

I am happy to read Conroy's remarks, and I am hopeful that they'll make good on it. He may never be the top line center that you hope you draft at fourth overall, but I have always believed that he'll be a damn good player, and the type of player that you need if you want to ice a winning team. 

Love. 

• Like 6

• 4 months later...
On 8/31/2020 at 3:02 PM, cross16 said:

Bump of an old thread but I thought it made more sense that starting a new one. 

Conroy joined the fan 960 the other day and made some interesting comments in regards to Bennett. A summary:

- Drafted Sam as a center but have never had a coach who wanted to play him there. Says it's been frustrating. 

- Sam had expressed frustration to the club. Said he wanted to play center and he wanted a set role. Conroy agreed that have not done this, they just put him all over the place.

- Conroy was a referee for the intra squad games, and commented how you could see it on Sam's face how excited he was to be at center and in a role. 

- Says they were, obviously, very happy with his playoff in the playoffs. Felt he has some things to improve on the faceoff dot with details but they are anxious to see if he can improve upon them if given the season to do it. 

Mixed reviews on those comments. Not a good look at the organization handled their highest ever draft pick this way, but positive in the sense that it looks like they really want to give Sam Bennett a shot at center next year. That's exciting. 

It's funny that we are back here.

This was from the summer and now Bennett is back to wing.

By contrast. the coach seemed to be determined to have Lindholm, Monahan and Backlund as the top 3 C's.

I'm not 100% convinced we have the right mix.

5v5 scoring is not good.

Only a few games for Dube, but it seems like he is playing in a tough situation.

Did Bennett show up out of shape and didn't look good as a C?

Or was the coach determined to have Backlund as the 3C?

Bennett with Backlund hasn't looked dangerous.

Bennett looks a little lost.

Barely 500 hockey for us.

Not sure what the problem is.

This is disappointing to hear for sure. You can count me in as a huge fan of Bennett, I had high hopes for him and still do, if he gets his chance in a top 6 role with quality people around him and given the chance to make mistakes without being demoted, he’s going to do something special.

I also don’t blame him for asking. Like others have said after his strong playoffs and showing he can Center a quality line, to have coaching staff just say no to him again has to hurt. 
I wish the flames weren’t so stupid sometimes, and starting now, put him as Center between tkachuk and lindholm. Put Dube with Johnny and money, and put backs with Mang and Simon. Then have lucic Ryan and Leivo or Nordstrom.

This way you see what Bennett is or isn’t, and it’s a win win for the club if he shows up and performs, great. If he still wants to be traded you can showcase him as a top 6 Center that is playoff proven. If he fails, you can trade him for what he is, not much different than where we’re at right now.

• Like 1

I'm disappointed because now I feel that Ward is costing us players.

No, Bennett doesn't deserve anything for being a 4th overall draft pick, or being consistently the Flames best playoff performer. But he is not being put in the right situations IMO.

I don't blame him for being disappointed when after leading the team in playoff scoring, on the first day of training camp he is the 4th line center, later moving to 3rd line winger. He wasn't given a single opportunity in the top-6, watching guys like Leivo, Simon, and Dube slot in over him.

I think it's clear now that Bennett can not carry a line, isn't great defensively, and doesn't make those around him better. What he can do is play with skilled players, play big minutes, and provide energy/grit. So play him on the right side with Tkachuk and Lindholm. Dube is a more well rounded player and a 3rd line of Mangiapane-Backlund-Dube would be more effective as your 2nd shutdown and 3rd scoring line. I don't think you lose anything with Bennett on the top line, but it helps the overall team depth. 

At the very least Bennett should have been given more powerplay time over the past two seasons over guys like Lucic and Ryan. Stajan can tell me all he wants how Lucic's teammates are rooting for him and rally around him when he succeeds. I don't buy it, and having Lucic be a fixture of the second powerplay unit has been a joke.

Bennett's effort level has never been called into question. Yes, he needs to rein in his bad penalties, but I don't blame him for wanting a fresh start.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

It's funny that we are back here.

This was from the summer and now Bennett is back to wing.

By contrast. the coach seemed to be determined to have Lindholm, Monahan and Backlund as the top 3 C's.

I'm not 100% convinced we have the right mix.

5v5 scoring is not good.

Only a few games for Dube, but it seems like he is playing in a tough situation.

Did Bennett show up out of shape and didn't look good as a C?

Or was the coach determined to have Backlund as the 3C?

Bennett with Backlund hasn't looked dangerous.

Bennett looks a little lost.

Barely 500 hockey for us.

Not sure what the problem is.

“Like”

I wish mods got likes cuz they should, and I wouldn’t have to quote the whole thing you wrote... 

2 hours ago, pikey7883 said:

This is disappointing to hear for sure. You can count me in as a huge fan of Bennett, I had high hopes for him and still do, if he gets his chance in a top 6 role with quality people around him and given the chance to make mistakes without being demoted, he’s going to do something special.

I also don’t blame him for asking. Like others have said after his strong playoffs and showing he can Center a quality line, to have coaching staff just say no to him again has to hurt. 
I wish the flames weren’t so stupid sometimes, and starting now, put him as Center between tkachuk and lindholm. Put Dube with Johnny and money, and put backs with Mang and Simon. Then have lucic Ryan and Leivo or Nordstrom.

This way you see what Bennett is or isn’t, and it’s a win win for the club if he shows up and performs, great. If he still wants to be traded you can showcase him as a top 6 Center that is playoff proven. If he fails, you can trade him for what he is, not much different than where we’re at right now.

I don’t know if it was always just me, but in all of the small doses of C for him throughout his career, I’ve seen him play more naturally there, even if results weren’t there. I think a lot judge on immediate results which is why you have a period, maybe two periods or a game or two playing the position. But it’s too small a sample to figure it out as a line and at the position. While I know the results weren’t there... I just think he’s only once had quality wingers to play with him. I think that’s why he tends to go puck hog, we saw what he can do with wingers of similar pedigree.

Honestly the result of Bennett wanting out doesn’t even make me upset. What makes me upset is it was so crystal clear this wasn’t going to work midway through Peters first season and rather than do something about it they just sat on it. Maybe I’m wrong and he was worth nothing in trade but I find that hard to believe.

the whole Sam Bennett experience is one this organization better learn from. A really big failure in multiple ways. It’s not all their fault but it’s a real black mark.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Honestly the result of Bennett wanting out doesn’t even make me upset. What makes me upset is it was so crystal clear this wasn’t going to work midway through Peters first season and rather than do something about it they just sat on it. Maybe I’m wrong and he was worth nothing in trade but I find that hard to believe.

the whole Sam Bennett experience is one this organization better learn from. A really big failure in multiple ways. It’s not all their fault but it’s a real black mark.  

I wanted to like this, but apparently I’ve liked too many things today. 

I have always thought that Bennett needed to earn his opportunities.  He hasn't been able to put it together offensively and he takes too many bad penalties...so he hasn't gotten time on the #1/2 lines or on the powerplay.

However, 7 games into the season I am starting to change my mind.  Lucic takes bad penalties and doesn't score much, yet he is a fixture on the second powerplay unit.  Lucic is Bennett without the speed, but he has a wwwaaaaayyyyy lllloonnnngggeerrrrr leash.  I don't blame Bennett for asking for a trade.  He will never succeed in Calgary (he may succeed elsewhere, but there is zero chance it will work with the Flames).

Unlike Cross, I am a little upset about the situation.  Bennett is one of a handful of Flames forwards with has some size and grit (Tkachuk, Lucic and maybe Leivo would be the others).  Without Bennett this team will be even easier to play against.  The Flames will be negotiating from a place of weakness, so they aren't going to get much back in a trade.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stubblejumper1 said:

I have always thought that Bennett needed to earn his opportunities.  He hasn't been able to put it together offensively and he takes too many bad penalties...so he hasn't gotten time on the #1/2 lines or on the powerplay.

However, 7 games into the season I am starting to change my mind.  Lucic takes bad penalties and doesn't score much, yet he is a fixture on the second powerplay unit.  Lucic is Bennett without the speed, but he has a wwwaaaaayyyyy lllloonnnngggeerrrrr leash.  I don't blame Bennett for asking for a trade.  He will never succeed in Calgary (he may succeed elsewhere, but there is zero chance it will work with the Flames).

Unlike Cross, I am a little upset about the situation.  Bennett is one of a handful of Flames forwards with has some size and grit (Tkachuk, Lucic and maybe Leivo would be the others).  Without Bennett this team will be even easier to play against.  The Flames will be negotiating from a place of weakness, so they aren't going to get much back in a trade.

and I think it’s just time to part ways. Been calling for it the last few years. If they’re not going to put him with anyone, trade him. Backlund isn’t playing up to snuff, so no doubt Bennett won’t either... 

I don’t get this talk that Flames organization some how failed SB. Never have, never will. SB was given ample opportunity, by 4 coaches now, and every coach came to the same realization. SB just couldn’t work his way up the lineup. He wasn’t taking Monahan’s spot, or Backlund’s or Lindholm’s, so he finds himself on 3rd and 4th line rolls where he makes no else look better or even himself. That is where SB slots in on this team and as a fan I’m okay with that. I can look past the high expectations that naturally come with being drafted 4OA. SB is an NHL’er, but he is no superstar and never will be. I’d be happy keeping SB on my team in the role where he fits. If SB is not happy with that, then set him free because he is not helping us by being unhappy. I just hope BT can find good value in trade, should it occur.

2 hours ago, CheersMan said:

I don’t get this talk that Flames organization some how failed SB. Never have, never will. SB was given ample opportunity, by 4 coaches now, and every coach came to the same realization. SB just couldn’t work his way up the lineup. He wasn’t taking Monahan’s spot, or Backlund’s or Lindholm’s, so he finds himself on 3rd and 4th line rolls where he makes no else look better or even himself. That is where SB slots in on this team and as a fan I’m okay with that. I can look past the high expectations that naturally come with being drafted 4OA. SB is an NHL’er, but he is no superstar and never will be. I’d be happy keeping SB on my team in the role where he fits. If SB is not happy with that, then set him free because he is not helping us by being unhappy. I just hope BT can find good value in trade, should it occur.

I don’t come to this site to agree on opinions, I also don’t come here to fight. But I do disagree with most of this post. I agree that he was never going to supplant Monahan. I disagree that he was working hard to take Backlunds spot last year, and in my mind he did. 
My question to you is; I suggested that they put him between Tkachuk and Lindy (we can argue over semantics if that’s the first line, second line, 1a or 1b). But let’s not.

if he was given that opportunity, what do you think the negatives of that would be? In what ways does that line get worse than having Lindy at Center with Dube on the wing?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pikey7883 said:

My question to you is; I suggested that they put him between Tkachuk and Lindy (we can argue over semantics if that’s the first line, second line, 1a or 1b). But let’s not.

if he was given that opportunity, what do you think the negatives of that would be? In what ways does that line get worse than having Lindy at Center with Dube on the wing?

Totally agree. I dont even care if he plays center.

With Tkachuk-Lindholm-Bennett you are maximizing the offensive potential of Bennett while minimizing his weaknesses by playing him with two of the strongest (perhaps the two best) two-way forwards on the team. 

Mangiapane-Backlund-Dube is such a solid, well rounded line that I think they would have great success. Then you have Johny-Mony and whoever getting fed offensive zone starts, and the 4th line can be used sparingly (with a lot of 4th line minutes coming from the PK).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JA_Boomer said:

Totally agree. I dont even care if he plays center.

With Tkachuk-Lindholm-Bennett you are maximizing the offensive potential of Bennett while minimizing his weaknesses by playing him with two of the strongest (perhaps the two best) two-way forwards on the team. 

Mangiapane-Backlund-Dube is such a solid, well rounded line that I think they would have great success. Then you have Johny-Mony and whoever getting fed offensive zone starts, and the 4th line can be used sparingly (with a lot of 4th line minutes coming from the PK).

I think the problem is you have to play Bennett at C to take advantage of him playing with Tkachuk and Lindholm.

Maybe that's a good thing.  I don't see Bennett at RW; he's not looked good in that spot before.

Bennett on LW and you just have a continuation of him on LW.

It's fine and dandy to project lines, but what message does it say to the room that Bennett asks for a trade and gets immediately moved to top 3?

7 games in and he's had maybe one game where he was positive.

33 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think the problem is you have to play Bennett at C to take advantage of him playing with Tkachuk and Lindholm.

Maybe that's a good thing.  I don't see Bennett at RW; he's not looked good in that spot before.

Bennett on LW and you just have a continuation of him on LW.

It's fine and dandy to project lines, but what message does it say to the room that Bennett asks for a trade and gets immediately moved to top 3?

they might need to put home at top 3 or 6 just to show he has value and everyone would probably understand.

they already kind of did that last night giving him extra ice time. Not a lot, but some more.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Also agree. What message does it send to have your leading playoff scoring start on the 4th line at the start of training camp? Yes, I know Ward and Bennett wanted to see more time at center ice, but I don't think that's what Benny had in mind.

This whole thing is probably a nothing burger, as Benny's current usage and play makes him replaceable in the regular season. A wasted opportunity that has probably run its course.