Sam Bennett

Going4TheCup

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think both Dube and Valimaki are being evaluated right now to see if they need further development or just monitoring.

I'm against sitting the players if the coach feels they need to work on play, as there is no benefit to doing nothing to improve.

I actually thought that playing with Monahan and Mangiapane was a decent use of Dube.

Valimaki playing with Stone isn't the worse thing for him; it allows him to focus on puck moving.

Neither IMHO is going to learn that much in the AHL.  Kylington should because he is doing nothing to improve.

Almost like they are hiding him from Seattle.  

I agree, but I think you said it where you say playing is better than sitting. For me, I'd prefer Valamaki to play big minutes right now. His skating "needs improvement" or all facets of the game needs improvement, according to Sutter. So I think that should be done in the AHL. 

I think we will see how the lines fair against a tired team again tonight. Although, Toronto might have more incentive due to their loss last night. I think that it's not necessarily about learning, but developing, if that makes sense? I mean, you create habits by playing more, and I think the focus needs to be on fostering good habits in all parts of the game and even when playing bigger minutes. 

13 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Well what is giving him a pass? he has faults here for sure but am I giving him a pass just because I don't think he should lose his job? I think there are mistakes he has made absolutely that are partly to blame for this I just don't think it should all be put on his shoulders. 

Here is where I stand with Treliving. There are valid reasons for people to want him gone and those are fair. I can get behind people that don't like the way he's built the team or the type of player he's gone after and I can understand there are also people that believe in results and that results should be the ultimate factor (ie bad results = fired). There are fair points there and I certainly would not campaign aggressively that you shouldn't move on. 

But for me when it comes to why are the Flames were they are today the problems I see don't start with the GM, they start with the players and perhaps ownership. Did Treliving deal away too many picks, no question. But my question there is was that his doing or is this an organization mindset that we have to be doing everything it takes to win every year?

Was hiring Geoff Ward a big mistake? yes IMO it was but again what's the backstory here? Was he actually Treliving's choice or was that the more affordable option after it seems Sutter said no?

IMO the biggest reason the Flames are stuck this year is Monahan, Gaudreau and Tkachuk have all either plateaued or in many cases taken a step backwards in their performance. I don't think the GM is at fault for that. I can get behind the rationale of well he should have seen this coming and traded them either last summer or years ago. It's a fair comment but at the same time can we really blame him for this if we don't know the offers that were made? Most of the rumors that I heard involving Monahan last summer would have made this place erupt if he pulled the trigger. 

with Treliving, I generally see a GM that is moving things in the right direction, has the right process or idea behind his moves and is targeting the right players. Results aren't there but I see mostly factors outside of his control that have influenced that. I will admit though if i'm wrong about how this organization operates than perhaps I could be influenced differently, but I don't suspect I am. 

Gone on a bit of a rant here and problem the wrong thread to do this in too, but as a closing thought here on the GM. The Flames have been around for 40 years now and Treliving is the 2nd best GM they've ever had. So part of my thinking is why would we expect a new GM to behavior differently than this one and two do we really think they are going to hire a better one?

Yes i am ok with him staying but I do understand the other side of this too. 

I think it's sometimes hard to stay on topic when you click "NEXT UNREAD TOPIC." I just follow what route the conversations are going in whatever thread that takes me to, and don't always realize that it's a Sam Bennett thread, or which ever thread I am on. It used to say which thread we were going to (I think) so It might have helped keeping conversations on track. 

I really hope Bennett can get his game back on track. And maybe it's selfish of me to wish that because I have been among some of the most outspoken about his usage. So I want to be validated that the Flames have botched this one because I've been saying it since Tkachuk arrived. 

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

When you think of Barkov, think of Panarin at C.

I could possibly score 10 just from them banking it off of me. lol

Barkov and Huberdeau each at $5.8.

Tell me again where the Flames are heading?

Trade JG, Monahan?

Maybe it's not the players, is worth asking.

BT is a good Asst GM, imho.

It's an absolute mess he's made.

We have the guys.

He can't fit the pieces.

That's on him.

Repeat. Lomberg is 3rd line LW for FLA.

Why let him go and sign 2 more?

I know you can't be everyone's buddy managing. But damn, stick to your guys, they are your responsibility.

How it's not okay for me to call out the GM for this lethal environment of a team is a bit beyond me.

I'll be cheering for FLA in the playoffs.

At the time Huberdeau signed that he had never eclipsed 60 points, the guy broke out after.  Barkov took that deal mid way through his final year of his ELC I don't believe he even had 50 career goals by the time of signing that, but speak of the devil nickel and diming their own players while breaking the bank for Bobrovsky, Stralman and Yandle.

There are a lot of contracts that are steals right now.  Marchand signed his last deal coming off a career high 61 point season, he hasn't been under a P/PG since.  MacKinnon had a couple down years to end his ELC so couldn't really break the bank, Jets locked up Scheifele after a 60 point season, Tampa locked up Hedman right before he broke out (should be at or near McDavid money based on EK's 11.5).  Lindholm is definitely a steal, just not in the same category as the others, 2 years ago we put Johnny in that category, now we don't can that really fall on the GM.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Well what is giving him a pass? he has faults here for sure but am I giving him a pass just because I don't think he should lose his job? I think there are mistakes he has made absolutely that are partly to blame for this I just don't think it should all be put on his shoulders. 

Here is where I stand with Treliving. There are valid reasons for people to want him gone and those are fair. I can get behind people that don't like the way he's built the team or the type of player he's gone after and I can understand there are also people that believe in results and that results should be the ultimate factor (ie bad results = fired). There are fair points there and I certainly would not campaign aggressively that you shouldn't move on. 

But for me when it comes to why are the Flames were they are today the problems I see don't start with the GM, they start with the players and perhaps ownership. Did Treliving deal away too many picks, no question. But my question there is was that his doing or is this an organization mindset that we have to be doing everything it takes to win every year?

Was hiring Geoff Ward a big mistake? yes IMO it was but again what's the backstory here? Was he actually Treliving's choice or was that the more affordable option after it seems Sutter said no?

IMO the biggest reason the Flames are stuck this year is Monahan, Gaudreau and Tkachuk have all either plateaued or in many cases taken a step backwards in their performance. I don't think the GM is at fault for that. I can get behind the rationale of well he should have seen this coming and traded them either last summer or years ago. It's a fair comment but at the same time can we really blame him for this if we don't know the offers that were made? Most of the rumors that I heard involving Monahan last summer would have made this place erupt if he pulled the trigger. 

with Treliving, I generally see a GM that is moving things in the right direction, has the right process or idea behind his moves and is targeting the right players. Results aren't there but I see mostly factors outside of his control that have influenced that. I will admit though if i'm wrong about how this organization operates than perhaps I could be influenced differently, but I don't suspect I am. 

Gone on a bit of a rant here and problem the wrong thread to do this in too, but as a closing thought here on the GM. The Flames have been around for 40 years now and Treliving is the 2nd best GM they've ever had. So part of my thinking is why would we expect a new GM to behavior differently than this one and two do we really think they are going to hire a better one?

Yes i am ok with him staying but I do understand the other side of this too. 

This off season BT is going to need to wheel and deal to build a more Sutter style team. Whether or not DS will have any input on who to target we can only guess but the moves this summer will dictate where the team is headed for the next couple years.  This summer may be BTs final chance at addressing the issues whether it's getting the right talent, attitude, leadership, and overall will to win.

If its more of the same old same old then ya the axe should fall.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I agree, but I think you said it where you say playing is better than sitting. For me, I'd prefer Valamaki to play big minutes right now. His skating "needs improvement" or all facets of the game needs improvement, according to Sutter. So I think that should be done in the AHL. 

I think we will see how the lines fair against a tired team again tonight. Although, Toronto might have more incentive due to their loss last night. I think that it's not necessarily about learning, but developing, if that makes sense? I mean, you create habits by playing more, and I think the focus needs to be on fostering good habits in all parts of the game and even when playing bigger minutes. 

Sutter needs to take some responsibility here.  Playing him with Nesterov?  That's a reach.  Valimaki is/was already a good player.  He played more this year than most of his teammates, plying his trade in Europe.  Playing big minutes.  More likely to be injured in the AHL with goon players left off team's rosters, like that fool in Laval.

Every player on this team has nights where they make the wrong reads, have inadequate skating, etc.  To my view, this is tough love that Sutter uses to motivate players.  Gaudreau has a decent game 499 up to the point of getting creamed against the board, and Sutter calls his effort dopey.  Game 500 was the opposite of that in Sutter's view.  

It works once in awhile, but can have a negative effect.  I noticed that Valimaki is back for two games in a row after the Nesterov replacement for two Flames losses.

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

At the time Huberdeau signed that he had never eclipsed 60 points, the guy broke out after.  Barkov took that deal mid way through his final year of his ELC I don't believe he even had 50 career goals by the time of signing that, but speak of the devil nickel and diming their own players while breaking the bank for Bobrovsky, Stralman and Yandle.

There are a lot of contracts that are steals right now.  Marchand signed his last deal coming off a career high 61 point season, he hasn't been under a P/PG since.  MacKinnon had a couple down years to end his ELC so couldn't really break the bank, Jets locked up Scheifele after a 60 point season, Tampa locked up Hedman right before he broke out (should be at or near McDavid money based on EK's 11.5).  Lindholm is definitely a steal, just not in the same category as the others, 2 years ago we put Johnny in that category, now we don't can that really fall on the GM.

Funny enough Florida looked a lot like the Flames until they hired Quenville. That move shouldn't be understated. 

I agree with conundrumed that Florida looks good going forward but I think Quenville is a huge part of that. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Funny enough Florida looked a lot like the Flames until they hired Quenville. That move shouldn't be understated. 

I agree with conundrumed that Florida looks good going forward but I think Quenville is a huge part of that. 

So basically a change of coach steered them in the right direction?  Well then whats the worry?  Flames are following the same script, plus lets not get ahead of ourselves, FLA hasnt won anything yet.

If youre still talking about GMs then one of the issues brought up was overpaying for FAs.  Going forward that Bobrovsky contract is gonna hurt as much as any of the Flames ones.  

19 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

So basically a change of coach steered them in the right direction?  Well then whats the worry?  Flames are following the same script, plus lets not get ahead of ourselves, FLA hasnt won anything yet.

If youre still talking about GMs then one of the issues brought up was overpaying for FAs.  Going forward that Bobrovsky contract is gonna hurt as much as any of the Flames ones.  

The "worry" is that the Panthers have Barkov, a level of player the Flames don't come very close to touching IMO. Quenville is also, IMO at least, the best coach in the game and up there in terms of coaches in league history. It's not quite the same story so I didn't want to draw a direct comparison to the Flames. 

But your last point i would agree, I don't think the Florida Panthers are a great example of team building (that was my point) but they got pretty lucky a coach the caliber of Joel Quenville was available to them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

The "worry" is that the Panthers have Barkov, a level of player the Flames don't come very close to touching IMO. Quenville is also, IMO at least, the best coach in the game and up there in terms of coaches in league history. It's not quite the same story so I didn't want to draw a direct comparison to the Flames. 

But your last point i would agree, I don't think the Florida Panthers are a great example of team building (that was my point) but they got pretty lucky a coach the caliber of Joel Quenville was available to them. 

And whats frustrating is Florida is a financial disaster that still invested in the coach to hopefully get them over the hump and try to gain relevance in a weak market.  Q was never really an option for us, but why did it have to be a last resort for the Flames to get a proven coach.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The fact they have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd overall players (and now 4th) doesnt hurt their cause either.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I think he has done an ok to good job drafting. At least it seems better than before. And like many have said, they've not only drafted smaller players, which it seems like it because they're the ones who have progressed to the NHL. So they've done good at scouting a certain player type, but I find the scouting is falling short in some other areas. Is that GM? Probably not, but he gets the credit when the team drafts well. 

Scouting players:

They've hit on Andersson (good 2nd pair RSD)

Mangiapane (good 2/3 line LW) His numbers are great, but I would prefer him as a 3rd liner who could play up in a pinch. 

Dube - I think is a 2/3 line LW, Like Mangiapane, 

Kylington - Should be a 3rd Pair, needed more development to up his game, low hockey-IQ or lacks a lot of confidence as his skills seem to be there. 

Tkachuk - No Brainer

Monahan - No Brainer

Gaudfreau - Small player with elite skating and skill, good wait to draft

Bennett - No Brainer

Valamaki - Needs further development and has decent size.

Of course not all are BT picks, but the scouting. I get they have to be credited for Monny, Bennett and Tkachuk, but you look at all of the other hits in the forward group of late and they're all smaller skilled players. Monahan has finally stopped playing smaller, but his game also regressed in the process. 

Valamaki is a good start, and I hope that the Zary gamble pays off. There are a lot of NHLers there, but they're all of a certain ilk. Smaller. I hope the Benny trade will get us a good energy guy that makes it to the NHL. 

This is not really a Flames thing it's a league thing. Look at the first round the last couple of drafts (and this year) and you will see that players are getting "smaller" because the game is changing. Game is about speed and skill and if you are looking for players that have size, speed AND skill your typically drafting them in the top 10 now. 

Sure you could argue the Flames should prioritize size more but keep in mind that was the direction under both Burke and Sutter and look how that turned out. If the goal is to shoot for upside, which IMO it always should be, then you are going to be taking flyers on guys that are small because that is who is available to you. Big, skilled players are not often sitting around in the mid to later rounds. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

This is not really a Flames thing it's a league thing. Look at the first round the last couple of drafts (and this year) and you will see that players are getting "smaller" because the game is changing. Game is about speed and skill and if you are looking for players that have size, speed AND skill your typically drafting them in the top 10 now. 

Sure you could argue the Flames should prioritize size more but keep in mind that was the direction under both Burke and Sutter and look how that turned out. If the goal is to shoot for upside, which IMO it always should be, then you are going to be taking flyers on guys that are small because that is who is available to you. Big, skilled players are not often sitting around in the mid to later rounds. 

Comparing two players such as Pelletier and Ruzicka, size points to Ruzicka.  Work ethic and heart go to Pelletier.

Players like Marchant are small, but have the heart to win.

I get concerned when I see players like Phillips passed over in favor of Robinson.

Sure, we can't be 100% players under 6', but big should not be the biggest factor.

BPA should be best one available, not biggest player available.

To bring the discussion back to Sam.... 

Even though the spoken discussion was Sam was well liked in the dressing room, there was a few murmers(BB) before DS was hired that a player wanting out would be a cancer to the room.

We chose to play him instead and maybe it was just to showcase him.

DS seemed to cool down the "I want out of here" thinking but Sam is gone and we are winning now.

Small sample size. However was Sam a part of our poor motivation as a Team Play?

2 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Even though the spoken discussion was Sam was well liked in the dressing room, there was a few murmers(BB) before DS was hired that a player wanting out would be a cancer to the room.

DS seemed to cool down the "I want out of here" thinking but Sam is gone and we are winning now.

Small sample size. However was Sam a part of our poor motivation as a Team Play?

That's an interesting observation.  Will have to see how we keep going here.

For sure when you have a player who is being thrown around the lineup, it makes others uncomfortable.  Maybe with Bennett gone and lines rearranged, everyone feels more relaxed in their roles.   Everyone can focus on their tasks.

1 hour ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Weird coincidence, but we did beat the Oilers with him in the room, right?

It could easily been a distraction, but I don't think it made as much difference as switching up the lines.

Nordstrom on Lucic's line is actually a good fit.

Bennett was slower on the forecheck, but stronger on the body.

Nordstrom seems to have a knack for hanging onto the puck.

He kills time, whether that's always a good thing or not.

Get a lead?  Play Nordstrom.

The other impact is that Leivo is back in the lineup.

Not a bad thing, and you see the skill lurking out there.

We won't ever replace Playoff Sam, but regular season Sam just didn't fit.

There is not a link for me personally because I don't think the Flames game has changed that much. Despite the record they've actually been playing fairly solid hockey for the last couple weeks. They just were getting poor goaltending and weren't putting the puck in the net and so far since the little break out there it's flipped. Markstrom playing much better and they are burying more chances. 

I would point to the re balancing of the lines as a bigger benefit than Bennett being moved. 

On 4/13/2021 at 4:44 PM, cross16 said:

If we ever had Trochek, Dadanov and Hoffman. Would we ever trade them or let them walk?

We don't make hockey moves.

Like we're too afraid of the fanbase.

Too committed maybe.

We're a, "you get what you have" franchise.

I have no idea why. 

Bennett's agent expresses discontent.

Apparently that's why we do trades.

We'll overpay in FA.

Isn't all of that management?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

If we ever had Trochek, Dadanov and Hoffman. Would we ever trade them or let them walk?

Too committed maybe.

I have no idea why. 

We'll overpay in FA.

Totals bro.

I said earlier in the year, we will never trade a DeMar Derozan for one year of Kwahi Leonard.  Fan favorite who signed long term for another guy who will leave after one season. 

We will never pull a cold hearted move for the sake of a "hockey trade".  It's like business development runs the hockey department.

11 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Too committed maybe.

I have no idea why. 

We'll overpay in FA.

There is some truth to this I would say but some doesn't make sense. The Flames have let players go, mostly recently Brodie who spent his whole career here, but i'm also not sure what the angle is here? The Panthers moved Trochek in what is looking to be a pretty awful trade so the Flames should make an awful trade just so they can say they did? I think you can always make bad trades but good trades are hard to come by. I guess we've come to that point in the fan base what people just want change for the sake of change and I can understand that but for me you still need to make good deals. I think the Flames could have moved Gaudreau at the deadline if they wanted but I suspect most would hate the deal. 

At the same time, I think this is a pretty conservative ownership group who still has their hands on the wheels too much. Maybe i'm wrong and blame management but for me this has franchise has been operated the same way through the last 4-5 different GMs so i'm looking higher. I think the mandate here is stil playoffs every single year and that takes a certain amount of transactions off the table for the GM. The smarter move would be to move assets like Gaudreau/Monahan etc for futures and not win now moves but my suspicion is that avenue is not available to the GM. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Totals bro.

I said earlier in the year, we will never trade a DeMar Derozan for one year of Kwahi Leonard.  Fan favorite who signed long term for another guy who will leave after one season. 

We will never pull a cold hearted move for the sake of a "hockey trade".  It's like business development runs the hockey department.

What's a hockey equivalent of that trade?  Since Leonard was a former Finals MVP and 26, would that be criteria.  There are currently 0 former Conn Smythe trophy winners  26 or under and the others Hedman, O'Reilly, Crobsy, Kane, Ovechkin aren't seeking a trade like Leonard was.  McDavid, MacKinnon, Barkov, Matthews etc., aren't available now and never would've been for a Johnny Gaudreau or Sean Monahan.  A lot gets made of Leonard getting the Raptors over the hump single handedly, there was also a change at coach, added Marc Gasol at the deadline,  Lebron switched conferences, but it was still a good team proven by the fact they could sit Leonard for 30 regular season games (actually better winning% without) and still be 2nd in the regular season. It's like some talking heads are under the impression that Tom Brady could go anywhere and win a Super Bowl, reality is Tampa was a good team the year before that had a problem of a QB throwing too many balls to the other team.  Not sure how many other teams going after Brady he could have won with.  Team sports are called teams sports for a reason, if one player won championships McDavid would have 5 by now, and Lebron would have 10.

I think we also need to point out how rare it is that players like Kawaii Leonard are even available. The only reason he was available in trade is he had a falling out with the medical staff of the Spurs and had a strong desire to return home to LA to play. 

Trades like that come around once in a blue moon. Huge props to Masai and the Raptors for pulling it off but a lot of circumstances came together to make that possible. 

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think we also need to point out how rare it is that players like Kawaii Leonard are even available. The only reason he was available in trade is he had a falling out with the medical staff of the Spurs and had a strong desire to return home to LA to play. 

Trades like that come around once in a blue moon. Huge props to Masai and the Raptors for pulling it off but a lot of circumstances came together to make that possible. 

Also a league with plenty of movement especially with star players.  The Raptors are much like the Flames in the sense they don't pull in free agents, but again the top free agent in the past 10 years in the NHL was John Tavares, he isn't the equivalent to Lebron, KD or Kawaii, and elite players don't come available for trade as often either.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

At the same time, I think this is a pretty conservative ownership group who still has their hands on the wheels too much. Maybe i'm wrong and blame management but for me this has franchise has been operated the same way through the last 4-5 different GMs so i'm looking higher. I think the mandate here is stil playoffs every single year and that takes a certain amount of transactions off the table for the GM. The smarter move would be to move assets like Gaudreau/Monahan etc for futures and not win now moves but my suspicion is that avenue is not available to the GM. 

I think that this nails it. I had thought that Ken King was the problem, but the mentality hasn't changed at all. I like our GM a lot - he's very measured, and I think that that's exactly what you need, but I also think that his hands are tied. I don't think he'd be allowed to trade Joe Nieuwendyk for 19-year-old Jarome Iginla. 

In some ways, I think that the '04 playoffs was a curse on this team. 

An aside, I couldn't remember who was the GM when that trade happened, so I looked it to be sure. Found this pretty cool article that reflects on it: https://flamesnation.ca/2020/12/19/25-years-ago-jarome-iginla-became-a-flame/

Love. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

I think that this nails it. I had thought that Ken King was the problem, but the mentality hasn't changed at all. I like our GM a lot - he's very measured, and I think that that's exactly what you need, but I also think that his hands are tied. I don't think he'd be allowed to trade Joe Nieuwendyk for 19-year-old Jarome Iginla. 

In some ways, I think that the '04 playoffs was a curse on this team. 

An aside, I couldn't remember who was the GM when that trade happened, so I looked it to be sure. Found this pretty cool article that reflects on it: https://flamesnation.ca/2020/12/19/25-years-ago-jarome-iginla-became-a-flame/

Love. 

Al Coats, pretty underrated GM who was just hired at the wrong time for the Flames. Unfortunate timing on what could have been a good Gm but story of life in the Flames organization. 

thanks for posting that, because his rationale is bang on. When you have to move high end talents I think this is the better play. 

Coates added that the important thing in any Nieuwendyk trade would be getting a “can’t-miss” prospect back. Given the trajectory of the franchise at the time, he felt that was crucial.

“In this particular case, it was all about the future because we were going through a bit of a rebuild,” said Coates. “[Al] MacInnis was gone already. Mike Vernon had been previously traded to Detroit. Gary Roberts was having injury problems. We definitely were starting to put pieces together again for the future of the franchise. So the piece was the most critical thing, the criteria was the most important thing that we did to really understand and examine what it was that we had to get back if we were going to make a transaction like this. That was the key.”

• Like 1