Oilers

46 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Looks like Smith has turned into automatic loss. I've never seen an NHL goalie so poor at tracking wrist shots from the point. Like the Pens' first goal last night.

He's 37, doing what 37 year olds do....never seen a goalie make such a bad decision on which team to sign with though.   Unless he had no choice.

Oilers doing what they do...

23 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

He's 37, doing what 37 year olds do....never seen a goalie make such a bad decision on which team to sign with though.   Unless he had no choice.

It amazes me that the book on an NHL goalie is, get it to the point, wrist it on net. He couldn't track Satoshi Nakamoto if he were laying in it. He was the same with us. Fails Trigonometry 101. lol

Always felt that way about Luongo. Losing where your net is. Smith is on a whole other level. I cannot believe that an NHL goalie is so poor at angles.

Alternatively, I love Rittich, lol. He typically makes that stuff look like a routine save and knows how to be positionally correct and and absorb pucks.

Has Smith ever NOT given up a rebound?

As the Hip says, "when it falls apart, it really falls apart". lol If you don't have a sound foundation, everything else can go south.

And when you have a sound foundation and things go south, just keep relying on it.

Easy to see just in breakaways/shootouts Rittich vs Smith. Smith's nickname should be the leaky tank. Holes everywhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

I have to disagree...   I think Smith made a great decision signing with the Oil...

Over the last 10 games Smith has played, he has the worst SV% of any goalie in the league that has had at least 5 starts...

It couldn't be any better...   Unless he gets even worse...   :)

• Like 2

On 12/21/2019 at 2:06 PM, Carty said:

I have to disagree...   I think Smith made a great decision signing with the Oil...

Over the last 10 games Smith has played, he has the worst SV% of any goalie in the league that has had at least 5 starts...

It couldn't be any better...   Unless he gets even worse...   :)

That all said, I may have an unpopular opinion. I was really rooting for Mike Smith. I'd hoped that he'd hang up the skates at the end of last year, and stick with the team in some capacity. I really liked having him around. Seemed like a great personality, and may have been able to help out the boys. 

Love. 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2019 at 3:30 PM, Heartbreaker said:

That all said, I may have an unpopular opinion. I was really rooting for Mike Smith. I'd hoped that he'd hang up the skates at the end of last year, and stick with the team in some capacity. I really liked having him around. Seemed like a great personality, and may have been able to help out the boys. 

Love. 

as fans we see things differently. some hate the blame he placed on others. It clouds whatever else he did. Well more, his play was bad for a good while last year.

I played for a team where we won championships, but the goalie would yell at us to get the Blockchainen puck out of the zone and called us a bunch of idiots. He’d praise ya when we did good. You get called out sometimes when making a bad play. Playing hockey is a critical thinking game. You take the good; you take the bad; you take them both and there you have, the facts of life. I am ok with calling guys out. Gotta let guys know when they’re not doing enough. Try harder. Is there enough try harder on the Flames?  They’re professional hockey players, it’s going to be public and we see and know what they’re doing. Yet we want guys to be honest in interviews. 

I was against smith last year. Then he had a great playoffs. Sure he didn’t win many, but how many goalies were going to win those games against the Avs last year? Possibly, some stolen, but Smith was pretty close to doing that. It would’ve been a Festivus Miracle! I don’t think many goalies would’ve done any better. 

49 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

as fans we see things differently. some hate the blame he placed on others. It clouds whatever else he did. Well more, his play was bad for a good while last year.

I played for a team where we won championships, but the goalie would yell at us to get the Blockchainen puck out of the zone and called us a bunch of idiots. He’d praise ya when we did good. You get called out sometimes when making a bad play. Playing hockey is a critical thinking game. You take the good; you take the bad; you take them both and there you have, the facts of life. I am ok with calling guys out. Gotta let guys know when they’re not doing enough. Try harder. Is there enough try harder on the Flames?  They’re professional hockey players, it’s going to be public and we see and know what they’re doing. Yet we want guys to be honest in interviews. 

I was against smith last year. Then he had a great playoffs. Sure he didn’t win many, but how many goalies were going to win those games against the Avs last year? Possibly, some stolen, but Smith was pretty close to doing that. It would’ve been a Festivus Miracle! I don’t think many goalies would’ve done any better. 

You can look at it a couple of ways.  Smith made a lots of saves in rapid fire but would let in the last one.  In other words a lot of rebounds.  The killers were two OT goals. Neither was unstoppable.  Neither were screened. 

So he was good. Sometimes great. But he wasn't the savior.  Glad we moved on.  And no he wasn't retiring. he wanted the starter spot here and starter money. 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

You can look at it a couple of ways.  Smith made a lots of saves in rapid fire but would let in the last one.  In other words a lot of rebounds.  The killers were two OT goals. Neither was unstoppable.  Neither were screened. 

So he was good. Sometimes great. But he wasn't the savior.  Glad we moved on.  And no he wasn't retiring. he wanted the starter spot here and starter money. 

I dunno. Blaming a goalie for the Flames playoffs failure is a little I dunno. There’s absolutely no way the Flames should’ve won any of the final 4 games and yet they played their best game in the final game. I blame the players. 

I didht like Smith either, but I don’t think it is fair to place the blame on him. 

14 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I dunno. Blaming a goalie for the Flames playoffs failure is a little I dunno. There’s absolutely no way the Flames should’ve won any of the final 4 games and yet they played their best game in the final game. I blame the players. 

I didht like Smith either, but I don’t think it is fair to place the blame on him. 

There are games every series that a goalie is the only reason a team wins.

The first game was one that their goalie let in crap and Smith held the fort.

Some of the other games could have easily gone a different way with a different goalie in nets.

Game 2 was winnable. Mostly even and on the way to a victory with 3 minutes left.

One more even strength save and we go up 2-0 on the series.

Game 4 was a much better goalie performance and I am loathe to suggest he's the reason we lost.

But the OT goal was underplayed.

A flopping goalie is only good if he's always in position to make the save.

If he's face first on the ice, he won't have much of a chance.

Let's face some facts. Smith as a season long starter is a disaster. 1 series, big whoop he played well in 5 games but we were over-matched regardless.

Watching him leave was awesome. Rumours are he wasn't happy for Rittich's ascent and BT stated Rittich would always bow to Smith's wishes.

I'd say the only thing Smith was for us, was in the way.

How many wristers from the point that he can't track do we need to see? He moves to see through screens so then he's out of position on the shot trajectory.

Goalie 101, have your angles down. You don't have to see it if you're where your supposed to be. Goalie 102, stop breakaways, sell something you know that you can take away. Dude sells 5 things at once, now they just make him move and slide it along the ice under him.

Tbh, I'm not even sure what his strengths are when I watch him. Angles, no. agility, meh. Athleticism, meh. Rebound control, no. Fast, no. Anticipation, meh.

I think his whole career was simply convincing people that he's good and it turned into name recognition.

And to take this back to the Oilers....

They suck defensively.

Nurse is a goon, and looks to hurt not defend.

As well and good, but somebody is always going to take you down.

They are riding Costco the goalie becuause they realized Smith doesn;t have it.

They played weak teams and he won enough to look like he was playing well.

The numbers always suggested that would come back to earth.

They are no different this tear than last.

Riding McD and Drai helped convince some that a playoff was coming.

Those two look burnt already.

Costco will be what he was last year; small sample goalie.

After that they have nothing.

Next year they have to buy out Neal just to be able to afford to repsign Nurse and overpay Kassian.

Nobody will take their crap in trade.

Decade of Darkness 2.0 a comin

16 hours ago, travel_dude said:

And to take this back to the Oilers....

They suck defensively.

Nurse is a goon, and looks to hurt not defend.

As well and good, but somebody is always going to take you down.

They are riding Costco the goalie becuause they realized Smith doesn;t have it.

They played weak teams and he won enough to look like he was playing well.

The numbers always suggested that would come back to earth.

They are no different this tear than last.

Riding McD and Drai helped convince some that a playoff was coming.

Those two look burnt already.

Costco will be what he was last year; small sample goalie.

After that they have nothing.

Next year they have to buy out Neal just to be able to afford to repsign Nurse and overpay Kassian.

Nobody will take their crap in trade.

Decade of Darkness 2.0 a comin

What's funny is Holland put the Wings in cap hell, the Oilers hire him to get them out of it. lol

Honestly I think if you break it down, Smith wasn't even that great in the playoffs.

Game 1 - Ok

Game 2 - Good but not great. Didn't have to be

Game 3  incredible

Game 4 - Good

Game 5 - poor. 

by no means am i suggesting he changes the fortunes. Flames lost the series as a team and the team should take the blame, but I am very thankful Treliving and Co looked passed the small sample size and the media buzz and saw the truth. Smith's playoff performance IMO was a microcosm of his regular season and proved to me the decline was there. He was inconsistent,more bad then good and 1 incredible game didn't change that. 

Writing was all over the wall and I love it was the Oilers of all teams who couldn't read it. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Holland drove the Wings into cap hell with bad contracts to players with “intangibles”. Seems to be well on his way to doing it in Edmonton now too. 

pretty bad contract IMO. Overpaid based on the fact he’s put up some numbers alongside McDavid. Guy has yet to crack 30 pts in a season (although likely will this season but again... McDavid). 

edit: it’s also a 4 year deal not 3. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Holland drove the Wings into cap hell with bad contracts to players with “intangibles”. Seems to be well on his way to doing it in Edmonton now too. 

pretty bad contract IMO. Overpaid based on the fact he’s put up some numbers alongside McDavid. Guy has yet to crack 30 pts in a season (although likely will this season but again... McDavid). 

edit: it’s also a 4 year deal not 3. 

He's not really there to score though.  He's to make sure McDavid stays safe while not dragging him down too much.  It's like Ferland here.  He was on the top line to give Johnny some protection while chipping in while he can.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

He's not really there to score though.  He's to make sure McDavid stays safe while not dragging him down too much.  It's like Ferland here.  He was on the top line to give Johnny some protection while chipping in while he can.

That wasn’t really Ferlands game and even if that is true committing that much cap space and term to that is a horrible idea. 

Every time McD gets hit, there is a big todo about it by the MSM.

- Oilers have misex feelings about Gio hit on McD

- Is it the right call not to have additional discipline for Gio

What a whiny bunch of losers.

A check is a check.

D not allowed to check him, interference or not?

McD is becomming like Hall, who skates at the edge of control,

One rut or toepick and he's out for months.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Every time McD gets hit, there is a big todo about it by the MSM.

- Oilers have misex feelings about Gio hit on McD

- Is it the right call not to have additional discipline for Gio

What a whiny bunch of losers.

A check is a check.

D not allowed to check him, interference or not?

McD is becomming like Hall, who skates at the edge of control,

One rut or toepick and he's out for months.

Then what, does Kassian line become the 4th line? :lol: 

31 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Then what, does Kassian line become the 4th line? :lol: 

It becomes a nothing line.

Neal has crawled back into the woodwork.

Kassian is mostly a plug, even playing with McD lately.

He's useful, but not what I would consider a skilled player.

The 2nd line of Nuge, Drai and Yamamoto is a funny one.

Anyone that plays with Drai is going to get points.

Nuge is competent, but not what I would expect for a #1 overall.

Yamamoto is going to get more points, but I don't think he's a top 6 on any NHL team.

Except one.

I wonder how long it will be for Neal to hit 21 goals.

Earlier it seemed like he would be there by December, but he goes for long stretches without a goal.

He gets zero for 7 or more.

He gets 3 in obe game afyer going 6 without one

So can someone explain why Drysaddle has not had his Hash Rate handed to him yet? The guy is a Blockchaining mouth piece to the media, he never shuts up. Constantly has Satoshi Nakamoto to say in the media, wow. Maybe its my ultra competitiveness but if it were me I would shove my hand down hs throat and make him choke on it, the guy is just as big a POS as Kassian. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

So can someone explain why Drysaddle has not had his Hash Rate handed to him yet? The guy is a Blockchaining mouth piece to the media, he never shuts up. Constantly has Satoshi Nakamoto to say in the media, wow. Maybe its my ultra competitiveness but if it were me I would shove my hand down hs throat and make him choke on it, the guy is just as big a POS as Kassian. 

Actually I respect Kassian a whole lot more, but that isn;t a lot.

Kassian will usually walk the talk.

Draisaitl is a puss.

Don't know why he is able to walk in and score so much; he's about as speedy as Tkachuk.