Bill Peters - 17th Flames Coach

phoenix66

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

I'm really glad the board has picked up someone with an expertise in the goings on of an NHL dressing room and familiarity with knowing how NHL players think. 

We get occasional trolling and flaming happening here.  Some of it starts with a rumor and turns into inside knowledge.  Usually happens after a big trade or signing.  

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Hanifin is as good as Hamilton when Hamilton first arrived.  All signs point to Hanifin being just as productive long term.  He is trending very well.  He has size and is willing to use it more than the bigger Hamilton.  The bigger issue for me is the loss of a RHS RD.  They are harder to find than LHS LD.

Lindholm's worse year is Ferland's best year.  There's no reason believe Lindholm will put up worse numbers in Ferland's role (1st line RW).  Not to mention, if all goes super well, Lindholm could hit 70-points on that line.  Plus, he gives us a RHS C in the top 6.  Something we were missing.

Ok, you’re willing to call Bennett a bust who has averaged 29.67 points a season over 3 years whereas Lindholm averages 37.6 over his career. It’s a difference of 8 points and Bennett has only had 3 seasons. In a year where Bennett played with a quality C he scored about Lindholm’s average as a rookie. Since then the only consistent thing for Bennett has been his inconsistent line mates. 

I dont know who lindholm played with in Carolina. To me the numbers show the lack of quality line mates. Bennett is not Crosby. Bennett can’t get the players he had points if they can’t do anything with it. 

I see Bennett’s 2-way game equally as good as Lindholm’s. I get why everyone thinks Bennett can’t dish as he hasn’t been much of a passer. I think that speaks to the linemates just as well. So I think Bennett could be a little closer to similar to Lindholm than we’d think. 

Eho knows, maybe they make a really good pair!?

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Ok, you’re willing to call Bennett a bust who has averaged 29.67 points a season over 3 years whereas Lindholm averages 37.6 over his career. It’s a difference of 8 points and Bennett has only had 3 seasons. In a year where Bennett played with a quality C he scored about Lindholm’s average as a rookie. Since then the only consistent thing for Bennett has been his inconsistent line mates. 

I dont know who lindholm played with in Carolina. To me the numbers show the lack of quality line mates. Bennett is not Crosby. Bennett can’t get the players he had points if they can’t do anything with it. 

I see Bennett’s 2-way game equally as good as Lindholm’s. I get why everyone thinks Bennett can’t dish as he hasn’t been much of a passer. I think that speaks to the linemates just as well. So I think Bennett could be a little closer to similar to Lindholm than we’d think. 

Eho knows, maybe they make a really good pair!?

To be fair, both are trending to not reach their draft potential.  

Bennett was supposedly the next Doug Gilmour

Lindholm was supposedly the next Henrik Zetterberg

Bennett is now the next Nick Foligno

Lindholm is the next Backlund

It would be nice for the fans and the team if BT would do some majic during the season to help his team win. Not, wait until the off season draft to make a team mark. This has been 3 lost seasons now. I'm sure this is BTs last kick at the can. BT will over pay during FA but not over pay during the season to help his team win? How many of his players like him? I'm sure not many. It's tough on the players to keep learning new systems and I'm sure it's wearing on them. There is only so many changes u can make before the players lose faith in the BT machine.

On June 27, 2018 at 0:39 PM, travel_dude said:

We get occasional trolling and flaming happening here.  Some of it starts with a rumor and turns into inside knowledge.  Usually happens after a big trade or signing.  

I'm just stating what I hear from the sports writers. When they waived Freddie Hamilton in mid season the writers stated there was a divided dressing room because Freddie was taking a roster spot through favouritism. That's not me talking. That's the sports writers talking. In the message board policy where does it state that all comments must absolutely be positive? Check out the NFL and MLB message boards. 

1 hour ago, The_Snowbear said:

Not Everything that comes from certain writers Is fact if you beilve everything you Read Then you must Beileve that the  little Homeless Man in the Basement that Creates Rumours about Trades and Etc

WTF!? Creepy. :o

BT has done his job. Bill Peters has enough tools to make this team a true competitor . If the Flames miss the playoffs this year do they fire him after year 1. How long of a leash do you give Peters with all these shinny new toys for him to play with?

8 minutes ago, rickross said:

BT has done his job. Bill Peters has enough tools to make this team a true competitor . If the Flames miss the playoffs this year do they fire him after year 1. How long of a leash do you give Peters with all these shinny new toys for him to play with?

Firing a coach is a pretty drastic measure.  Lets hope BP has a long and successful coaching career here.  

20 minutes ago, rickross said:

Any team can miss the playoffs.  The reasons matter.

BP should be just fine.  Different mentality.  No Cameron.  He does need to manage Smith better.

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Any team can miss the playoffs.  The reasons matter.

BP should be just fine.  Different mentality.  No Cameron.  He does need to manage Smith better.

Exactly. If problems are beyond is control (i.e. injuries), then he cannot be held responsible. But, if the power play is in ashes again, then he is in deep Yamaha. We had goaltender issues last year (Smith's injury and weak backups) and we just couldn't score. Surely, scoring will not be a major problem with this crew.

4 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

Exactly. If problems are beyond is control (i.e. injuries), then he cannot be held responsible. But, if the power play is in ashes again, then he is in deep Yamaha. We had goaltender issues last year (Smith's injury and weak backups) and we just couldn't score. Surely, scoring will not be a major problem with this crew.

On paper, scoring should not be an issue. My concern is complacency, it happened to this team's D. Touted as amongst the top in the league...almost considered elite!...yet Mike Smith was getting pummelled with 40+ shots per game! Mike Smith essentially saved us from giving the Islanders a top 10 pick this year. I'm hopefully the Flames don't just magically expect the offence to show up because of the names on paper, it seemed to happen on defence. I'm sure coaching shared the blame at the time but it will be interesting to see what Huska can do with Hanifin in the mix. 

13 hours ago, rickross said:

I don't think GGulitzan could screw up a play off appearance with this group BT has assembled. So ya if we miss the playoffs Peters should be gone and BT should be on short notice.

46 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

I don't think GGulitzan could screw up a play off appearance with this group BT has assembled. So ya if we miss the playoffs Peters should be gone and BT should be on short notice.

Don't think that would be a given.  He could easily screw it up.

I don't think all his decisions were based on  "we have nobody else to do it".  Some for sure, not all.

He had options on the PP, and chose the ones that clearly weren't working.

Saying that, the players now have to take responsibility.  No passengers now, okay?

If players continue to be played when there are better options and the coach is too stubborn, then yes it's more on the coach.

I am really excited for this season and I think that Bill Peters will make the players accountable for their play. Also I think he will manage the team better including Mike Smith and Will actually call a timeout when needed unlike Glen Gulutzen. The team has made some drastic changes and I believe the Calgary Flames will make the playoffs because they have the talent to do so.

1 hour ago, Going4TheCup said:

I am really excited for this season and I think that Bill Peters will make the players accountable for their play. Also I think he will manage the team better including Mike Smith and Will actually call a timeout when needed unlike Glen Gulutzen. The team has made some drastic changes and I believe the Calgary Flames will make the playoffs because they have the talent to do so.

We should be a playoff team as our division isn’t very good.

SJ is the only team I feel will be a playoff team

EDM essentially has the same team as last year except for a couple bottom 6 additions

LA is getting older and slower

ANA older and slower

ARI still young and growing

VGK added Stastny but lost 2 key pieces in Neal and Perron

VAN rebuilding 

Id say we should be battling for a division title this season

28 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

EDM essentially has the same team as last year except for a couple bottom 6 additions

ANA older and slower

VAN rebuilding 

It would be nice, but don;t count out a few teams:

LA has a couple of young guys that really stand out - Kempe abd Iafalo.  Added that KHL guy too.

ARI has added some skill to their lineup to go with some really good players.  The end of last season is more of what to expect.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

ANA older and slower

VAN rebuilding 

That sounds like a good plan to go for the Division win because what you said is true and also I don't think that Vegas will be even close to being as good as they were last season.

Archived