Played most this last season with a shoulder injury.

He just had some surgery and won't be back playing until November.

Source Fan960 and BB.

Yeah, saw that.  It's too bad.  I had high hopes for him in camp. 

It's too bad to hear.  He'll miss camp and likely won't even get a sniff of the NHL until the camp the following season.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im betting that if his rehab goes well, we see him in flames silks by the new year. We are weak on the right side, management has expressed they feel he is ready for the pro ranks. Im not about to worry myself over Emile, the kid played half a season with a bad wing and still managed to finish top 10 in scoring in the Q, scored 10 points in 10 playoff games and make an immediate impact with the heat as soon as he hit the ice...

I foresee Poirier getting a quick look see with the Flames late next season.

He would probably benefit from two seasons in Adirondack especially since he'll miss the start of 2014-2015.

IMHO, patience will be the key during this rebuild.

And let's not kid ourselves, this will need to be a FULL rebuild before the Flames will be in play-off contention again.

It's too bad to hear. He'll miss camp and likely won't even get a sniff of the NHL until the camp the following season.

Why is that? He will start in the AHL, but he will get call up opportunities same as anyone else.

That said, I never expected him to make the NHL full time this season.

Shoulder injuries worry me a fair bit with young prospects because they can become reoccurring pretty quickly if you don't do it right and especially with Poriers style. Honestly I don't even want him in the AHL I want him in junior because I think there is still more he can learn and refine plus a shot to make team canada.

Shoulder injuries worry me a fair bit with young prospects because they can become reoccurring pretty quickly if you don't do it right and especially with Poriers style. Honestly I don't even want him in the AHL I want him in junior because I think there is still more he can learn and refine plus a shot to make team canada.

I don't know the nature of the injury, but if it was similar to Hall, the surgery and rehab should make him 100% again.  I think that if he stays with the Flames system, he will have access to better rehab.  As far as World Junior, he has a shot even if he is with the AHL.

Of course a lot depends on who the coach is and how he deploys prospects.

I don't know the nature of the injury, but if it was similar to Hall, the surgery and rehab should make him 100% again.  I think that if he stays with the Flames system, he will have access to better rehab.  As far as World Junior, he has a shot even if he is with the AHL.

Of course I trust that he will heal back to 100% but what worries me is the reoccurring problems you can get especially given he amount so stress put on shoulders by a physical player like Porier and that's part of the reason I think sending him back to junior is best once he is healthy because I still think he needs to refine his style and to learn to play aggressive but smarter especially with the injury and I'd like to see him do that in junior. Yes I know he could still go even if playing in the A but pro teams don't tend to lend players out once they turn pro.

Of course I trust that he will heal back to 100% but what worries me is the reoccurring problems you can get especially given he amount so stress put on shoulders by a physical player like Porier and that's part of the reason I think sending him back to junior is best once he is healthy because I still think he needs to refine his style and to learn to play aggressive but smarter especially with the injury and I'd like to see him do that in junior. Yes I know he could still go even if playing in the A but pro teams don't tend to lend players out once they turn pro.

Poirier's not eligible for the U20 WJCs, he's a late-94 birthday (hence why he's AHL-eligible).

Let him get back into game shape in the AHL, give him a game or 3 over the season if he deserves it at the NHL level and is lighting up the A, and then give him a huge summer training program and tell him we expect you to be ready for camp next year.

My mistake on overlooking the birthdate I just made an assumption based on the draft year but for me I'd still prefer him in junior to the AHL but that's me.

I don't. Theirs nothing left for him in junior. Let him continue his development playing in the minors. That's where he needs to be.

I don't. Theirs nothing left for him in junior. Let him continue his development playing in the minors. That's where he needs to be.

His best chance for a full recovery comes with staying with the Heat as well.  Better access to Dr.'s and rehab people.

So regardless of the injury, had he not been injured I would still say he belongs in the minors.  I think his hockey I.Q. is quite high and he has to play at a higher level in order to continue to grow.  I'd prefer to see him spend the entire year with Adirondack. Just being at the games and watching game film for the duration of his rehab will do him some good.  He's played at this level already and has a good understanding of how much faster the game is, now his the time to teach him the nuances of the game and how to cope with it mentally.

• 1 month later...

Can some 1 explain why Poirier was not invited to the nationals with Bennett and klimchuk  is he to old or do they not think he is as good as Klim and company. I for 1 think he is but what do I know. ? does any one have some knowledge on this?

Can some 1 explain why Poirier was not invited to the nationals with Bennett and klimchuk  is he to old or do they not think he is as good as Klim and company. I for 1 think he is but what do I know. ? does any one have some knowledge on this?

Had surgery.  Recovering.  Too old by a month.

• 2 months later...

His best chance for a full recovery comes with staying with the Heat as well.  Better access to Dr.'s and rehab people.

So regardless of the injury, had he not been injured I would still say he belongs in the minors.  I think his hockey I.Q. is quite high and he has to play at a higher level in order to continue to grow.  I'd prefer to see him spend the entire year with Adirondack. Just being at the games and watching game film for the duration of his rehab will do him some good.  He's played at this level already and has a good understanding of how much faster the game is, now his the time to teach him the nuances of the game and how to cope with it mentally.

OK, November is here next week. Anyone know the current timetable on Poirier's return? It seemed like it was November last I heard in the summer.

My only question is, how long does he stay in the A for? Hes physically mature, has all the tools and plays on the RW. Give him a couple games to shake off the rust and then call him up to see if he's ready. I like this kid and think he would look great on the opposite wing of Johnny so they can develop some chemistry till Bennit is here.

My only question is, how long does he stay in the A for? Hes physically mature, has all the tools and plays on the RW. Give him a couple games to shake off the rust and then call him up to see if he's ready. I like this kid and think he would look great on the opposite wing of Johnny so they can develop some chemistry till Bennit is here.

Yup!

Gaudreau - Bennett - Poirier. Line of the future.

Yup!

Gaudreau - Bennett - Poirier. Line of the future.

For now, the following three options exist for this season (assuming callups, etc.):

Johnny - Granlund - Jooris

Johnny - Granlund - Ferland (after he returns, Jooris drops back to the 3rd line)

Johnny - Granlund - Poirier

Just some options. Really we are a bit stacked with prospects to come up all at once. If one assumes that the current guys stay in the lineup, some trades and waiver moves, and Poirier comes up late in the season:

Colborne - Mony - Hudler

Sven - Backlund - Ferland

Bouma - Stajan - Jones

Ex. Bollig, McGrattan

Trade: GlenX, Byron

Waived: Setoguchi

I am basing this on the assumption that Jooris' numbers will drop a bit, and we want to see what Poirier can do. If he doesn't regress, then we keep Byron and ship out Jones (Jooris is currently playing better than Jones). Sven is listed assuming he is playing to his potential.

Colborne - Mony - Hudler

Sven - Backlund - Ferland

Bouma - Stajan - Jones

Ex. Bollig, McGrattan

Trade: GlenX, Byron

Waived: Setoguchi

I like it. Good 4th line allows us to roll 4. Not sure about Sven. The guys on Fan960 were talking about Sven and said he just doesn't look the same anymore. That discussion is better served in another thread though. The only other change I might make would be switching Hudler and Colborne.

I like it. Good 4th line allows us to roll 4. Not sure about Sven. The guys on Fan960 were talking about Sven and said he just doesn't look the same anymore. That discussion is better served in another thread though. The only other change I might make would be switching Hudler and Colborne.

Not going to discuss Sven here. It was just based on the assumption that he can stick, making GlenX available. Hudler and Colborne look dangerous either way. Last year Colborne played on RW with Mony. Prior to that combo it was Hudler on RW with Mony.

These were projections of how the roster looks at the end of the season. In the playoff race (really?) we would see less prospects. Out of the playoff, you will see some vets being moved. Unless GlenX is re-signed, he gets moved (NTC or not, they ask him to waive). Jones is likely traded by TDL or off-season.

Archived