Opportunity tonight to see two Flames prospects playing in the same game:

Sportsnet - all regions (East, Ontario, West, Pacific) - 5:00pm MDT

Emile Poirier and the Gatineau Olympiques play against Ryan Culkin and the Drummondville Voltigeurs.

Culkin used to be on the Quebec Remparts, so he must have been traded sometime in January.  Not as many points for his new team (3 poibts in 9 games), but he is +4.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Poirier has been on a tear of late.  Nice to see, can't wait to see if this translates to the NHL, if so, we are in for a real treat.

Also noted that Klmchuck has been doing really well since coming back from injury, looking like our three 2013 1st round picks could be real impact players in the top 6, which is great!

Although it a bit premature just yet, but gotta love their development so far!

Emile Poirier scored an incredible eight goals in 3 games last week and now sits at the 40-goal mark through 50 games this year. His 74 points lead all Olympiques skaters in scoring. Also had a 4 goal night.

I'm looking forward to this year's summer training camp, all these prospects coming in is going to make the start of the season very interesting.

• 1 month later...

I remember reading on a flames article about Poirier, He said he wanted to make an impression on the flames, when it came play-off time for his team.

Well he's onto the 2nd round, with 6 Goals 2 Assists 8 Points, in a 4 game sweep of Cape Breton.

Good start.

Yep and now he has to play against Jonathan Drouin.

A slightly more difficult task.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a little surprised that Poirier hasn't been signed to ATO with the Heat. Maybe there is an injury issue. Even if doesn't get much playing time, just spending time with the pro club and knowing what is expected of a pro player would be great for his development.

I think this guy would look really good on the right side with gaudreau and Arnold next year, let them play together for a year in the ahl, and hopefully they light it up

Think he is still too young to play in the AHL.  December 1994 birthday.  Ferland might be a good option, albeit a bit slower than those guys.

Poirier and Kanzig are already signed to entry level deals so are eligible fot AHL once their respective junior reams are done for the year

That is good.  Here's to hoping they both add needed elements to the Heat.  The team was very good earlier, but lost a lot of key players to the Flames, so I'm not sure what the fit will be.  Kanzig took steps forward this year, so he will be a big body to clear out the riff-raff.  Poirier could add that power forward piece that they lost with Ferland being out.

I hope Granlund is able to play in the playoffs, since he was a major force on the team.  Billins will add offense to the blueline.  Lots of bodies now, so I don't know who will get sent to Alaska, who will be a healthy scratch, and who will play.

The Flames Ahl team has really turned things around, I remember when the prospects were few and far between..and the best ones were pretty much 3rd-4th liners at best. Now there's been a huge injection of new talent and they've been playing legit all season. Poirier and Kanzig will hopefully find their game in the pros, this team next year with our potential 4th Rd pick will be a scary team on paper. Just wonder where they'll be playing next year...

The Flames Ahl team has really turned things around, I remember when the prospects were few and far between..and the best ones were pretty much 3rd-4th liners at best. Now there's been a huge injection of new talent and they've been playing legit all season. Poirier and Kanzig will hopefully find their game in the pros, this team next year with our potential 4th Rd pick will be a scary team on paper. Just wonder where they'll be playing next year...

Next year is going to be a really enticing year.  It seems the Flames prospect system is bolstered by 3 or 4 exciting new players.  Less ATO's and pick-me-up FA's and more actual Flames prospects.

With the Heat moving, it'll be interesting to see how well the new blood and the bolstered roster plays in a schedule with much less travel.

Poirier should be a welcomed addition, and while he's able to play in any of the QMJHL, AHL, or NHL, my money is on him settling in the A.

Next year is going to be a really enticing year.  It seems the Flames prospect system is bolstered by 3 or 4 exciting new players.  Less ATO's and pick-me-up FA's and more actual Flames prospects.

With the Heat moving, it'll be interesting to see how well the new blood and the bolstered roster plays in a schedule with much less travel.

Poirier should be a welcomed addition, and while he's able to play in any of the QMJHL, AHL, or NHL, my money is on him settling in the A.

If Poirier is indeed able to play on the Heat next year, he should do well.  I think his tenacity and grit will translate well in the AHL.

Although he was close to making the Flames out of camp last year (for a cup of coffee), I think he will need a year with Ward to work on his skatin style and adjust his grit to bigger players.  A line of Baertschi/Granlund/Poirier would be an interesting combo, assuming that Bear is not on the opening day roster.  A Swiss, a Finn, and a French Canadian...Talk about accents! :D

If Poirier is indeed able to play on the Heat next year, he should do well.  I think his tenacity and grit will translate well in the AHL.

Although he was close to making the Flames out of camp last year (for a cup of coffee), I think he will need a year with Ward to work on his skatin style and adjust his grit to bigger players.  A line of Baertschi/Granlund/Poirier would be an interesting combo, assuming that Bear is not on the opening day roster.  A Swiss, a Finn, and a French Canadian...Talk about accents! :D

They would really accent each other very well I think! ;)

Archived