CALGARY, AB -- Calgary Flames 2013 first round pick Emile Poirier has been named to the QMJHL team which will compete against Team Russia at the Subway Super Series.

Poirier, who recently extended his point streak to 12 games, is leading the Gatineau Olympiques in scoring with 12 goals and 26 points in 16 games this year. He is tied with Anthony DeLuca for third in league scoring.

The Olympiques will host the Game 1 on Monday, November 18th at the Robert Guertin Centre, while the Sherbrooke Phoenix will host Game 2 at the Palais des Sports Léopold-Drolet on Wednesday, November 20th.

Team Russia will then play Team OHL (Nov. 21, Nov. 25) and Team WHL (Nov. 27, Nov. 28). All six games will be broadcast on Sportsnet while TVA Sports will carry the two QMJHL games.

Each of the three CHL member leagues assembled a selection committee, working closely with Hockey Canada, to select the players for this year’s series. A total of 23 players will participate in the event this year.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CALGARY, AB -- Calgary Flames prospect Emile Poirier has been the QMJHL's second star of the month for October.

Poirier, who was selected 22nd overall in the 2013 NHL Draft, recorded 21 points (10 goals, 11 assists) in 13 games last month. He scored 4 game-winning goals, 2 power play goals, 1 short-handed goal and was a +11 in October.

Poirier is currently tied for second in league scoring with 27 points, tied with Anthony DeLuca of the Rimouski Oceanic.

He is currently riding a 13-game point streak.

It was not an elbow or a blatant head shot, watch how the other kid actually goes down like he is falling. If Poirer is 6' 2 than that would mean the other kid is 3 feet tall. The penalty maybe a charging call, but there is no elbow or head shot. I will say that there is head contact.

Pause the vid at 40 seconds.  Porier catches the kid's head with the middle of his upper arm just below his shoulder.  The push out at the end makes it look like an elbow.  Regardless, it's a headshot.

It was not an elbow or a blatant head shot, watch how the other kid actually goes down like he is falling. If Poirer is 6' 2 than that would mean the other kid is 3 feet tall. The penalty maybe a charging call, but there is no elbow or head shot. I will say that there is head contact.

It is a blatant head shot because there is contact with the head.  The other team wouldn't react the way they did if it wasn't.  Common sense.

It is a blatant head shot because there is contact with the head.  The other team wouldn't react the way they did if it wasn't.  Common sense.

The current trend is for a team to react to any big hit, clean or dirty.  You can't lay a big hit without having to fight.  5 years ago that was a clean hit, but with today's ridiculous standards I suppose it's a head shot.  Give it another 5 years and hitting will be completely out of the game and we'll be watching figure skating with sticks. 

The current trend is for a team to react to any big hit, clean or dirty.  You can't lay a big hit without having to fight.  5 years ago that was a clean hit, but with today's ridiculous standards I suppose it's a head shot.  Give it another 5 years and hitting will be completely out of the game and we'll be watching figure skating with sticks. 

Its a headshot... pretty clean cut. Don't know what "todays ridiculous standards" have to do with anything.

And no one answered my previous question so I'll ask it again! Does anyone who has seen Poirer play this year know if he is playing LW or RW?

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?id=109271

Posted elsewhere, but WJC has no Poirier, Klimchuk, nor Janko. Instead they have invited Shinkaruk (gag, choke).

Sure Klimchuk is injured, and Janko is not having the greatest start, but Poirier?

I think part of it was that Poirier wasn't very good at all in the Subway Series.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?id=109271

Posted elsewhere, but WJC has no Poirier, Klimchuk, nor Janko.  Instead they have invited Shinkaruk (gag, choke).

Sure Klimchuk is injured, and Janko is not having the greatest start, but Poirier? 

Apparently Jankowski has been pretty horrible the last little while.  As you say Klimchuk is hurt.  Poirier is a bit if a snub based on his numbers.  But I don't pretend to watch enough junior to have a strong opinion.  

Apparently Jankowski has been pretty horrible the last little while.  As you say Klimchuk is hurt.  Poirier is a bit if a snub based on his numbers.  But I don't pretend to watch enough junior to have a strong opinion.

The only way Janko would have been invited was if he had Johnny Hockey-like numbers. Even then, he may not have gotten the call due to perceived nepotism. Poirier is a snub. He didn't exactly have a great Subway series, but I don't think that played a big part in the choices, at least as far as stats.

...But if he should shoot the lights out this year in junior, then...quite by accident, I may disagree with this a little less.   All of Feaster's best moves were accidental blunders.  Acquiring Baertschi because Feaster didn't get who he wanted.   Acquiring Monahan because Feaster couldn't get the guy he wanted (and he was gonna throw in Poirier to get him too)....   

I'm sorry, I've heard you say this numerous times and it's such a stupid statement. Why should a GM apologize for making the best available decision? Go back to 1993 and ask if Hartford would rather pick Daigle as opposed to Pronger. Hartford would have been all over it. Burke selected Kadri only because Brayden Schenn was already picked. Now? Kadri > Schenn. 

Most GMs end up making the decisions that aren't the best possible scenarios in their own minds at the time. You can't hold it against them or keep repeating it ad nauseum as if they should be discredited. It happens all the time to the best of them. 

I'm sorry, I've heard you say this numerous times and it's such a stupid statement. Why should a GM apologize for making the best available decision? Go back to 1993 and ask if Hartford would rather pick Daigle as opposed to Pronger. Hartford would have been all over it. Burke selected Kadri only because Brayden Schenn was already picked. Now? Kadri > Schenn. 

Most GMs end up making the decisions that aren't the best possible scenarios in their own minds at the time. You can't hold it against them or keep repeating it ad nauseum as if they should be discredited. It happens all the time to the best of them. 

The above is even more true when you consider Feaster does not pick any of the draft picks. He announces them sure but does not get involved with the actual list of who is to be picked.

If you are going to blame anyone for poor picks then the director for scouting should be right up there. If your director of scouting said that  Robin Press should have been picked at #6 and he does not turn out who is responsible?

Poirier named QMJHL First Star of the Week

CALGARY, AB -- Calgary Flames prospect Emile Poirier (Gatineau Olympiques) has been named the QMJHL's First Star of the Week (Nov. 25 - Dec. 1).

The winger, who is currently fifth in league scoring with 44 points in 28 games, rattled off eight points in three games last week.  On Friday, in the Olympiques' battle with the Drakkar, Poirier was named the first star of the game after registering two goals and one assist. One of his tallies came short-handed.  On Saturday, in a game against Shawinigan, he scored his 20th goal of the season in the 3-2 win.  The Olympiques upended Armada 5-4 in a shootout on Sunday and Poirier was credited with four assists in the victory.  Poirier was selected 22nd overall in the 2013 NHL Draft.

I guess 5th in scoring in the Q is not that impressive to the TC scouts.  Well, I hope that Mr. Poirier uses that snub to make the Flames next camp.  He has shown a great progression from his draft year, and I hope he keeps it up.  Would love to see him become a sniper on the Flames, maybe RW.  Him and Ferland could be a potent 1/2 (or 2/3) punch for the Flames in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=694695

REAL good article on Poirier. Its 6 days old but has some good quotes from him. So good to see that he is supportive about Team Canada at the WJCs, even though they left him off the list. Doesn't seem like the pouty/whiny type (cough shinkaruk cough). I also liked his coaches comments about him, that he still has to learn that he is one of the best players in the league. Shows the kid isn't arrogant/egotistical. Seems like he has his head screwed on straight & at the end of the article says that his goal is to be in Calgary next year... seems alot similar to what one of our other first round picks recently said...

With Klimchuck having been signed just recently, wonder if we can hope to see Poirier follow suit with a new NHL entry level deal soon???  

I hope so, he's been tearing it up this season in the Q, much the same as Klimchuck has in the wast so why not get Poirier under contract too.  Then we would have all three of our first rounders locked up.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing all three of these kids on the team, as each have a ton of potential!

With Klimchuck having been signed just recently, wonder if we can hope to see Poirier follow suit with a new NHL entry level deal soon???  

I hope so, he's been tearing it up this season in the Q, much the same as Klimchuck has in the wast so why not get Poirier under contract too.  Then we would have all three of our first rounders locked up.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing all three of these kids on the team, as each have a ton of potential!

Read some posts on another site that talked about why it doesn't make sense for him to sign in 2013.  Has to do with the CBA and slide rules based on birthdays, etc.  Esssentially, he would lose $$ by signing prior to 2014.  I don't think the Flames bother going to the agent before January, since a savy agent would realize this and not have his player sign. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived