I actually saw a pretty high hockey IQ out of Porier. He had a good understanding of where to be and also when to time his rush to be able to split the d effectively at the blueline and create a chance for himself and that's pretty good hockey IQ in my books. my bigger "question marks" if you want to call it that for Porier based on the last two days where his penchant to float a bit and the fact that while he was able to create some good things for himself using speed and IQ he wasn't able to finish on them but that's not a worry for me at all that goes along with development and even the best players in the NHL have days they can't finish.

Very true, Feaster also mentioned he was nervous but got better as the camp wen on.  I'd like to see what he has after he gains a bit of confidence and the nerves are all gone and he gets accustomed to the timing and pace of the NHL.

I think he too may be very close to NHL ready.  Still hard to tell though, think more will be evident as the rookie and main camps open and see how this year's draft class fares at those camps.

Gut feeling Poirier and Monahan make it, and I'd like to hope Klemchuck too, heard very promising things about him but have not seen his game yet to tell.

At the end of the day all I hope is if they are ready then they get the chance to play, if not no big deal, they are young and they are prospects so let them develop, not rush.  The only thing I really do not want to see is stuffing them back in the minors just for the sake of development, ready is ready, if they are let them play.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very true, Feaster also mentioned he was nervous but got better as the camp wen on.  I'd like to see what he has after he gains a bit of confidence and the nerves are all gone and he gets accustomed to the timing and pace of the NHL.

I think he too may be very close to NHL ready.  Still hard to tell though, think more will be evident as the rookie and main camps open and see how this year's draft class fares at those camps.

Gut feeling Poirier and Monahan make it, and I'd like to hope Klemchuck too, heard very promising things about him but have not seen his game yet to tell.

At the end of the day all I hope is if they are ready then they get the chance to play, if not no big deal, they are young and they are prospects so let them develop, not rush.  The only thing I really do not want to see is stuffing them back in the minors just for the sake of development, ready is ready, if they are let them play.

He's actually a bit more of a project IMO. I think he is 3 years at least away.

I still see Poirier as our future top RW pwr Fwd.  Question is who will round out the LW in the next few years?  We really have a jam there with very good capable guys in:

Johnny G

Bear

Klemchuck

I can see all 3 as top 6, but the key is not just skill and ability but chemistry.  This is where things get complicated for me as I see the best chemistry with Monahan and Poirier as Klemchuck.but do you want to play a guy like Johnny or Bear on the 3rd line?  Well possibly if the Flames build 4 solid lines throughout and allow pretty much equal time to all 4 lines.

I only bring this up because they are slowly and quietly establishing that now if you look at the crazy young depth through the line up.  Although, admittedly the RW is a bit thin, but with our Crt depth it's not that bad.  I see in 2-3 yrs, our Ctr position is very strong with:

Monahan

Janko

Backlund 

Knight

I figure if all continue to develop on their current course this is where the players will fall in the depth charts in just a few years.  True there are more Ctrs in the system but some need to be moved to RW where we are thin.  This is actually becoming a very good thing, having wingers who are converted over from Ctr, some will have decent FO ability so it too becomes a strength, if your Ctr gets tossed, you have a fall back guy who can hold his own in the dot.  I see:

Horak

Reinhart

Moving to RW to fill the bottom 2 lines out with possibly Jones filling the 2nd line RW spot (this one is the big question mark)

If all pans out I see the Fwd lines looking like this in 2014-2105:

Klemchuck - Monahan- Poirier

Bear - Janko - Jones

Gaedrau - Backlund - Horak

Kenny A - Knight - Reinhart

Thant is not bad at all, provided all reach their potential in the next 1-2 years.  Added to that there are still a few wild card prospects like Bouma, Byron and a few others who could change up the look and feel too, some will need to be moved but those lines will be a forced to be reckoned with in a few years.

I also see the G situation settling in by then too so no worries, at least 2 of our 1000 (joke) goalie prospects should pan out.

The big issue is D, it has some foundations in palace but needs to add 2 top prospects to get that back on track.

Any way, at the end of the day I see Poirier as a top line RW for us, and I see that happening in no more than 2 years.  He may even crack the lineup this fall (though probably 3rd or 2nd line this year).

No I disagree cross, he has a legit shot to crack the lineup this year on 3rd or 2nd line.  Though, Ièd prefer he gets AHL or Jr time then crack the lineup in 2 years.  He will be our top line RW very soon 2 years to take the top line RW spot.  3 years  form now he will be one of the NHL top RW.

That is my bold prediction on Poirier, he is one of those guys, bloomed late in his draft class but has started to put it all together.  

Reason I say this about him and for the most part all our 2013 draft class, they have size, skill, potential and most of all the warrior spirit, this is what sets them apart form many of our past (under Sutter) picks.  Even Jnako, Johnny G and a few others feaster and co have recently drafted all have this and that changes everything from individual player development to team chemistry...Wait for it, tolerate this season and you will see!

If the flames drafted again in the top 15, they still would of taken Poirier. I think the scouts really nailed this pick, especially at 22.

This!

Bear - Janko - Jones

Step away from the computer, you are obviously drunk.

Maybe half those guys are on the NHL roster for the 2014-2015 season (essentially one 82 game season away).

Janko will spend at least 2 more seasons in NCAA. Poirier and Klimchuk are looking at similar time lines in their respective leagues.

And when they are ready, they wont be running as top 6 forwards right away.

Bear - Janko - Jones

You have to be kidding me,you have no idea about any of these players how do you project that Klimchuck is going to be better then Sven and even Monahan to be in a better position to run top line over Backlund there is so many things you said that make no sense what so ever i just cant even comment on all of them

His skating is NHL ready today but it sounds from camp that he has been caught just floating around without the puck.  It would be great to see him work up the system and take his time to work on all facets of his game.

Like i've mentioned, the pressure on this year's draft is mostly on Monahan.  Monahan affords Poirier and Klimchuk the time to develop their games properly in Juniors and AHL.  And i do agree, Poirier is a project.  If we wanted more of a sure thing with a lower ceiling, then we should've drafted Shinkaruk.  Poirier's ceiling is very high because he's a "power forward" type but has the speed of a small player.  There's so many ways and places he can take his game. 

Step away from the computer, you are obviously drunk.

Maybe half those guys are on the NHL roster for the 2014-2015 season (essentially one 82 game season away).

Janko will spend at least 2 more seasons in NCAA. Poirier and Klimchuk are looking at similar time lines in their respective leagues.

And when they are ready, they wont be running as top 6 forwards right away.

No,2 seasons away, this year is 2013-2014, then there is 2014-2015... Should have been a bit more clear, meaning after that season so by the way youare reading it it would be 2015-2016 seasons is where I was going with that (after 2 full seasons done)

You have to be kidding me,you have no idea about any of these players how do you project that Klimchuck is going to be better then Sven and even Monahan to be in a better position to run top line over Backlund there is so many things you said that make no sense what so ever i just cant even comment on all of them

Now for you, READ what I had said, not projected to be better than, but his game play and strengths would compliment that line better,,,Get a grip and think rather than take everything directly as is on the page.

I don't see Poirier making it this year.  By the way, its "Klimchuk not Klemchuk" - sorry it was bothering me..

Thanks, I'm good with that help :) no issues!

Cheers!

In 2009 overly optimistic Edmonton fans were projecting Paajarvi-Gagner-Eberle as there soon to be number 1 line.  They also projected a bunch of guys you have never heard of to join them.  

It is exciting to see the improvements to our prospect pool.  But keep in mind that even the guys that turn out generally fall below top line standards and they usually take a few years to develop.  Brodie was drafted in 2008 and is just breaking out.  Baertschi was drafted in 2011 and has yet to play a full season in the NHL.  He is probably a couple of years away from reaching his potential.  

Of our top offensive forward prospects (Gaudreau, Monahan, Baertschi, Poirier, Klimchuk, Jankowski) only a couple will likely end up as legitimate top 6 forwards and chances are between 2 and 4 of them never play in a meaningful role in the NHL.  It is better to think of it as Monahan OR Jankowski, Gaudreau OR Baertschi, Klimchuk OR Poirier end up as top six players.  And for all of them it may be a bit down the road.  

Expecting five of those guys to elevate their game to be our top 6 a season from now is naively optimistic IMO.  I am not saying that to be pessimistic or a jerk.  I just think Flames fans need to be realistic about what is up ahead.  We are at the beginning of a (probably) long road.  If the above is your expectation then chances are you are building yourself up to be pretty frustrated.  

It isn't impossible all of them will be home runs.  But it is unlikely IMO.  

No I disagree cross, he has a legit shot to crack the lineup this year on 3rd or 2nd line. Though, Ièd prefer he gets AHL or Jr time then crack the lineup in 2 years. He will be our top line RW very soon 2 years to take the top line RW spot. 3 years form now he will be one of the NHL top RW.

That is my bold prediction on Poirier, he is one of those guys, bloomed late in his draft class but has started to put it all together.

Reason I say this about him and for the most part all our 2013 draft class, they have size, skill, potential and most of all the warrior spirit, this is what sets them apart form many of our past (under Sutter) picks. Even Jnako, Johnny G and a few others feaster and co have recently drafted all have this and that changes everything from individual player development to team chemistry...Wait for it, tolerate this season and you will see!

This!

That's the thing he has only just started to put it together, so go prove you can put it together for a full season. Until you prove you can be consistent in junior there is no way you can handle the NHL. He has more growing to do and he can afford to get stronger as well. Just not an NHL ready game at this point.

And you'd honestly put him above Cammy,glencross, Hudler, Baertschi, stempniak, jones?

His skating is NHL ready today but it sounds from camp that he has been caught just floating around without the puck. 

That IS the issue for many highly talented guys that can't stick in the NHL. It's a huge point and shouldn't be dismissed offhand. Poirer is a good offensive talent, but he is really really deficient away from the puck. He is not even close to NHL ready today. I personally doubt with where he is at this stage that he can be anything more than a periphery piece.

What I do like about him is he can be a bit of a pest and I think there is value there. That may give him an edge that may make up for some defensive play shortcomings. He would project at best, IMO, as a combination of the best of Hagman and Nieminen.

• 2 months later...

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=685830

12 points in 7 games so far. Good!

Happy for him.  He was one of my favorites during training camp and pre-season.  I think he gets signed the end of the year, and could see 9 games next year.  Going to need that type of scoring next year if we cut loose some of the UFA's.

Happy for him.  He was one of my favorites during training camp and pre-season.  I think he gets signed the end of the year, and could see 9 games next year.  Going to need that type of scoring next year if we cut loose some of the UFA's.

I think the Flames might sign him right away like they did with Baertschi.  The contract will slip so no harm in doing it early.  

I also wouldn't be surprised to see him get an NHL game or 9 next season.  He could even make the team.  Though with Agostino, Gaudreau, etc all likely getting signed it will be a tough tough camp next season.  

I think the Flames might sign him right away like they did with Baertschi.  The contract will slip so no harm in doing it early.  

I also wouldn't be surprised to see him get an NHL game or 9 next season.  He could even make the team.  Though with Agostino, Gaudreau, etc all likely getting signed it will be a tough tough camp next season.  

Kind of a nice position to be in though.  When was the last time this organization has been this deep in prospects?

Kind of a nice position to be in though.  When was the last time this organization has been this deep in prospects?

I am not complaining.  Chances are between a low finish and trading expiring assets at the deadline that we have a pretty big draft next season as well.  Of course if they keep playing like they are then maybe not.  But that isn't a bad thing either.  

(Although Sam Reinhart is off to a better then 2-points per game pace - drool).  

I am not complaining.  Chances are between a low finish and trading expiring assets at the deadline that we have a pretty big draft next season as well.  Of course if they keep playing like they are then maybe not.  But that isn't a bad thing either.  

(Although Sam Reinhart is off to a better then 2-points per game pace - drool).  

Depends how committed to the rebuild they really are.  Cammi, Stempy, and Hudler are great guys, but I think we need to move forward and move forwards.  Cammi gets us the best return, and Stempy is on an expiring contract.  Both might be of value to a playoff-bound team.

Tough call; Hudler would be the hardest to move, and he could add 20-30 goals per year during the rebuild.  Stempniak plays well with the young-uns, but has been inconsistent.  Cammi would probably be our top scorer, but his game is starting to decline, so time to move on.

I was a little surprise that he wasn't signed this year already.  I guess at the time, they wanted to keep the options open by having spare NHL contracts.  They need to keep ones for Johnny Hockey, Arnold, and Agostino.  At 44 now, that would put us up to 48??

Hopefully when we trade off some of the vets, we don't take on an equal number of prospects (unless they are blue-chip).

I was a little surprise that he wasn't signed this year already.  I guess at the time, they wanted to keep the options open by having spare NHL contracts.  They need to keep ones for Johnny Hockey, Arnold, and Agostino.  At 44 now, that would put us up to 48??

Hopefully when we trade off some of the vets, we don't take on an equal number of prospects (unless they are blue-chip).

We can sign Poirier.  His contract won't count against the total due to the CHL slippage rules.  

Word is that Poirier started off terribly, playing like an offense-first skill player and being pretty selfish with the puck. His 4-point game may be one of the worst 4-point games you'll see out of the Q this year. But he's apparently turning it around and returning back to where he should be, a pesky player that adds offense, hits hard and skates harder.

We don't need him to be an offensive dynamo. We need him to be the kind of player that drives play up ice and commits to being solid and physical in all 3 zones. Maybe he got a slightly big head for a few games, I dunno, but he needs to be the player from last year's playoffs Emile Poirier, and not the 22nd overall pick Emile Poirier.

Archived