Next year I don't disagree, but the last few games he has been flying and effective.  He had a great zone entry last night to draw defenders then dished it to a wide open Hudler leading to the second goal.

One good play (maybe another, but really not doing anything) does not excuse being invisible.  Let me correct that; he was very visible when the play died on his stick. Or when all he had to do was touch the puck to negate an icing. Or participate in a cycle and not be the last Flames to have it before a turnover.

He may excell against the Nucks, since they are not typically a strong team.  If he plays well, then keep him in the lineup, otherwise there is a lineup. :)

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also noticed him waiting at the blueline for the pass out and not really going back to get it. The other team kept the puck in a lot when he did that.

Raymond floats.

It was a nice drop pass, but it's one play. On all of those other times we could've got the puck out, those are possible scoring chances.

Raymond is just another Kobasew/Lombardi, great wheels, no finish and streaky... Every once in awhile he will pull something out of his checking from behind that will brimg you out of your seat and help you forget thay hes been chasing his tail.

Hoping Poirer is the real deal, that kid with great wheels that cam put the puck in the net and play consistently. Not just another flash in the pan like the 3 i mentioned before.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Porier's First 14 Games:

1 Goal 5 points 32 shots on net. 2.29 Shots/Game avg

Last 18 games:

6 goals 13 points 44 Shots on net. 2.44 Shots/Game avg

While he remains very streaky he is turning it up. Of those last 18 games he didn't record a point in 10 of them but then can turn in a 3 point night and 3 other 2 point nights.  I've heard he is progressing but that just tells me he still has a ways to go which doens't suprise me as i think he is a bit of a project. Was drafted with a low of raw skill and needs some refinement which I think those stats demonstrate. 

Porier's First 14 Games:

1 Goal 5 points 32 shots on net. 2.29 Shots/Game avg

Last 18 games:

6 goals 13 points 44 Shots on net. 2.44 Shots/Game avg

While he remains very streaky he is turning it up. Of those last 18 games he didn't record a point in 10 of them but then can turn in a 3 point night and 3 other 2 point nights.  I've heard he is progressing but that just tells me he still has a ways to go which doens't suprise me as i think he is a bit of a project. Was drafted with a low of raw skill and needs some refinement which I think those stats demonstrate. 

I think that injury really put him back, then the showing in camp probably brought his confidence to a low he had to battle back from. He said he had put in tonnes of work in the off-season and when it didn't really "seem" to show on the ice in camp probably stung a lot. As far as I remember and please let me know if I'm mistake, but hasn't he been also working on his defensive game too so that probably had a huge effect on his overall offensive output.  It may be now that it is manifesting itself as some forward progress, being more comfortable with how he's playing on all sides of the puck and making it easier for him to put his offensive talents on display.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen him play any games so I'm just going based off reports and stat trends so I could be full of horse hockey :ph34r:

I think your close. From what i've been reading he's been working on his defensive game but he's also been trying to round out his offensive game. In junior Poirier was a get the puck and score of the rush type of player and he really wasn't known for using his linemates very well. From what i've read he's also been trying to slow down his game a little bit and try use his linemates more so he can be a more rounded player. 

I think your close. From what i've been reading he's been working on his defensive game but he's also been trying to round out his offensive game. In junior Poirier was a get the puck and score of the rush type of player and he really wasn't known for using his linemates very well. From what i've read he's also been trying to slow down his game a little bit and try use his linemates more so he can be a more rounded player. 

I hope it bears fruit because that would make him such a deadly threat on the ice, smart with the puck, able to make the decision to pass it off or to take it himself, and be successful at it.  We know he is offensively dangerous but doing that all the time makes him very one dimensional which doesn't work well in the NHL because once you're found out you are less effective.  To be a multi-dimensional player and have the offensive and physical abilities that he has would be invaluable, such is the reason he is on MY list of untouchables. He's there with Gillies, Arnold, and Djanko (to this point, I want to see what he can do in the pros before deciding what he could be)

He is a bit like Bennett.  He was a sniper/gritty/sandpaper player in junior.  He made a good jump into pro, but lost some edge to his game, where he started passing more instead of riving the net.  He needs to shoot more, which he has started doing.  He needs to get the sandpaper back, which he appears to be working on.  Like Bennett, the pucks will start going in for him.

He is a bit like Bennett.  He was a sniper/gritty/sandpaper player in junior.  He made a good jump into pro, but lost some edge to his game, where he started passing more instead of riving the net.  He needs to shoot more, which he has started doing.  He needs to get the sandpaper back, which he appears to be working on.  Like Bennett, the pucks will start going in for him.

Here's an interesting question, under the assumption Bennett Centers a different line than Gaudreau's, is Poirier a potential better fit for Johnny's line or Bennett's?  It's hard to answer but I think Johnny's line would benefit more from it as Bennett has that same style, BUT it could be equally dangerous if not more so having a line with speed and grit, would be tough to contain could be the ultimate frustration line.

Here's an interesting question, under the assumption Bennett Centers a different line than Gaudreau's, is Poirier a potential better fit for Johnny's line or Bennett's?  It's hard to answer but I think Johnny's line would benefit more from it as Bennett has that same style, BUT it could be equally dangerous if not more so having a line with speed and grit, would be tough to contain could be the ultimate frustration line.

I find it difficult to figure out how best to deploy our top players.  If this was Chicago, you break up Kane from Toews.  You give Kane a driving the net kind of center and a skilled winger.  Toews gets the power forward like Hossa and Shaw.

Turning that to the Flames, you put Johnny with Bennett and a skilled winger.  You line up Monahan with a line with Ferland and a driving player.  With what we have right now, that would be Johnny-Bennett-Hudler and Ferland-Monahan-Frolik.

Archived