• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thought I would do a prospect update comparison between Poirier and Hunter Shinkaruk:

Hunter's numbers:

--- Regular Season --- ---- Playoffs ----

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2010-11 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 63 14 28 42 24 14 4 5 9 0

2011-12 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 66 49 42 91 38 8 2 9 11 6

2012-13 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 64 37 49 86 44 8 3 3 6 8

2013-14 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 18 5 11 16 29 -- -- -- -- --

2014-15 Vancouver Canucks* NHL Statistics Unavailable

2014-15 Utica Comets AHL 40 6 9 15 18

Poirier's numbers:

--- Regular Season --- ---- Playoffs ----

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011-12 Gatineau Olympiques QMJHL 67 15 25 40 53 4 1 0 1 8

2012-13 Gatineau Olympiques QMJHL 65 32 38 70 101 10 6 4 10 14

2013-14 Gatineau Olympiques QMJHL 63 43 44 87 129 9 7 3 10 26

2013-14 Abbotsford Heat AHL 2 2 2 4 0 3 1 0 1 2

2014-15 Calgary Flames* NHL Statistics Unavailable

2014-15 Adirondack Flames AHL 34 12 15 27 20

At this point in time, Poirier looks to be the prospect further ahead. After the MSM and some fans said "WTF", it looks like we drafted a good one.

• 1 month later...

I think it will be next yr for Mr P he didn't do all that well coming in at the toughest time of the yr give him a full season next yr perhaps then he will show his stuff or maybe he goes to Montreal for the first next yr who knows

Poirier definitely has a chance to make the Flames roster next training camp, but my gut tells me he needs another season in the AHL. 

Playing games is the best thing for him now. Getting Adirondack into the playoffs, making a run, then coming in as a Black Ace if the Flames are still in it would be great experience.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's in the AHL again next year, and wouldn't see it as a bad thing. So far he has looked okay, but we want him to play up in a top 9 role and not the 4th.

Give him another year or two and give him sniffs; just don't dick him around, allow him to develop. I prefer to develop him as far as his potential will get to. So play him a lot in the A.

As much as I like the new regime, their penchant for having young guys sit in the press box for a decent amount of time is something I am not a fan of. I get a game or two just to see the pace etc but anything more then 2 games then send them down. I feel Granland, Porier and Wotherspoon all have spent too much time at the NHL not playing.

As much as I like the new regime, their penchant for having young guys sit in the press box for a decent amount of time is something I am not a fan of. I get a game or two just to see the pace etc but anything more then 2 games then send them down. I feel Granland, Porier and Wotherspoon all have spent too much time at the NHL not playing.

Agreed.

I actually think it's not a bad idea. Those guys are going to be NHLers eventually, what you do in giving them press box time is twofold; one is that they can see the game better with a full view of the ice. When you're playing it's harder to see lanes since you're always in motion and there's always somebody in your view. This move allows them to see where those lanes tend to be, which is incredibly important with the style of game Hartley plays, which is fire the pass hard all the time. There can be no hesitation, once you pause then you give the other team time to react.

The second is that they're getting to practice with the big team. That both gives them the confidence that they can hang with the big boys and the knowledge that they need to be better in order to stay there. They're building relationships with the rest of the team so that when they do make the jump full-time, they can remain comfortable and in optimal condition from a mental standpoint. And the aforementioned "getting used to the pace" happens just as much.

If I had the choice I would agree that the young guys' press box time was a tad too long, but the team's very lucky that it can probably pull this off. You can't do this without a strong leadership group that is both friendly and competitive, and we are fortunate to have that in spades. With Gio in the press box too, that becomes his role to be an on-ice and off-ice mentor.

Also, it rewards them for playing well in the AHL. You have to give a reward for their efforts or else you create a disconnect between perceived actions and perceived rewards. We saw the effects of that with Baertschi so we have to avoid making the same mistakes there. It may not be much, but an NHL paycheque in and of itself is a pretty handsome reward.

Sadly there has only been 2 players Hartley hasnt done that too, JG and Monahan. 

Sadly there has only been 2 players Hartley hasnt done that too, JG and Monahan. 

Hard to sit out two of your top 3 players, just because they are young guys. The guys sitting out don't get on a roll, and then become the top players.  I was happy that Granlund played with Colborne and Jooris, as he has the smarts to be a shutdown center in this league. As Granlund said, the scoring will come once the defensive game is certain.

Would love to see Ferlie take Bollig's place in the lineup on the 4th line.  The skill level is similar, and Ferlie is willing to fight to protect his team.  Shore should come in to replace Raymond, as Raymond has been ice cold the last few games.  I'm not saying Shore is a better player, but if Raymond plays 4th line RW, Shore is a RHS and a better alternative. 

I prefer that Poirier stay in the AHL through the playoffs, and then win a spot next year like Jooris.

You can't put that on Hartley, his job is to win games. He has to put the lineup that is going to give him the best chance to win out on the ice.

Poirier was kept up because there were a lot of guys who were banged up and they needed someone around who go into the lineup at moments notice. Poirier was the best option. As soon as guys started getting healthy they sent him down.

I think the idea that guys missing a few games in the AHL is detrimental to their development isn't fair. They are getting to practice with NHL coaches and players and are getting to see what it takes to be an NHL player. I mean each player has missed like 3-4 games in the AHL while up here, it's not the end of the world.

I actually think it's not a bad idea. Those guys are going to be NHLers eventually, what you do in giving them press box time is twofold; one is that they can see the game better with a full view of the ice. When you're playing it's harder to see lanes since you're always in motion and there's always somebody in your view. This move allows them to see where those lanes tend to be, which is incredibly important with the style of game Hartley plays, which is fire the pass hard all the time. There can be no hesitation, once you pause then you give the other team time to react.

The second is that they're getting to practice with the big team. That both gives them the confidence that they can hang with the big boys and the knowledge that they need to be better in order to stay there. They're building relationships with the rest of the team so that when they do make the jump full-time, they can remain comfortable and in optimal condition from a mental standpoint. And the aforementioned "getting used to the pace" happens just as much.

If I had the choice I would agree that the young guys' press box time was a tad too long, but the team's very lucky that it can probably pull this off. You can't do this without a strong leadership group that is both friendly and competitive, and we are fortunate to have that in spades. With Gio in the press box too, that becomes his role to be an on-ice and off-ice mentor.

Also, it rewards them for playing well in the AHL. You have to give a reward for their efforts or else you create a disconnect between perceived actions and perceived rewards. We saw the effects of that with Baertschi so we have to avoid making the same mistakes there. It may not be much, but an NHL paycheque in and of itself is a pretty handsome reward.

This/\

Plus It could have been a bonus paycheck as he probably made as much this year (dollar wise) in the callups as he did the whole year in the ahl.

You can't put that on Hartley, his job is to win games. He has to put the lineup that is going to give him the best chance to win out on the ice.

Poirier was kept up because there were a lot of guys who were banged up and they needed someone around who go into the lineup at moments notice. Poirier was the best option. As soon as guys started getting healthy they sent him down.

I think the idea that guys missing a few games in the AHL is detrimental to their development isn't fair. They are getting to practice with NHL coaches and players and are getting to see what it takes to be an NHL player. I mean each player has missed like 3-4 games in the AHL while up here, it's not the end of the world.

It's not the few games that is the problem.  How long was Spoon here without the possibility of playing?  That guy need to play top minutes in the AHL or 3rd pairing minutes in the NHL. 

I don't blame Hartley; there is a disconnect sometimes between coach and GM.  If Baertschi was brought up to play top 9 minutes by the GM and Hartley used him in limited or bottom 3 minutes, then the two need to agree on what is needed.  Poirier sat for 7 straight games, so there was no need to keep him up (short of the bonus money).  Top prospects need to play regardless of where.

It's not the few games that is the problem.  How long was Spoon here without the possibility of playing?  That guy need to play top minutes in the AHL or 3rd pairing minutes in the NHL. 

I don't blame Hartley; there is a disconnect sometimes between coach and GM.  If Baertschi was brought up to play top 9 minutes by the GM and Hartley used him in limited or bottom 3 minutes, then the two need to agree on what is needed.  Poirier sat for 7 straight games, so there was no need to keep him up (short of the bonus money).  Top prospects need to play regardless of where.

While Poirier was up and not playing there were a lot of guys that were banged up., not injured enough to go onto IR but banged up enough to not play, so Poirier was kept around as a healthy body. As soon as guys started getting healthy Poirier was sent down. Calgary is in a playoff hunt so they need the best players available to be in the lineup and/or in the press box ready to go. 7 games isn't going to make or break his career is more what I am getting at.

I don't think it's a massive deal either and I don't think a few days or a couple games missed is a big deal but for me both with wotherspoon and Porier I felt it was too long. If you want to have a guy sit like that I would prefer a Reinhart or maybe a potter on D. Not someone working on their gamr with a high upside.

But j do agree not the end of the world and not something that would ultimately detail development unless it continues to happen and that's where I'd be worried a bit. Is this a one off Or a trend?

Archived