Western Conference Playoffs

conundrumed

On 5/10/2024 at 11:57 PM, Thebrewcrew said:

I have zero faith in either tender in this series.

Which series? Van series I'm guessing? Oops, sorry, just noticed it wasn't posted after tonight's game. Dallas is looking solid. Both should be long series.

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Which series? Van series I'm guessing? Oops, sorry, just noticed it wasn't posted after tonight's game. Dallas is looking solid. Both should be long series.

DAL has been full-marks through three games.

Yeah, almost coughed up 4-0 in game two. But they've done a good job at establishing early. They probably feel like they should be up 3-0. Really solid team they've got.

But yeah, that comment was about Oilers Canucks. Silovs was pretty good in the 3rd. He just looks frantic at times in the crease.

On 5/10/2024 at 4:52 AM, rocketdoctor said:

really enjoying the Stars Avs series.  Some good hockey.

Hate Benn but for Tanev I'll cheer for Dallas and hope for a Stars Canucks WCF.

Tanev has been rock solid for Dallas so far. Probably their best defenseman in the series. Which is crazy because they have Heiskanen. Personally, I'd love for him to win a cup. I know technically when a team wins every player deserves it, but Tanev REALLY deserves a cup win. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

In 2022 the Flames couldn't weather the storm in game 3 in Edmonton.

Lets see if VAN can 

I dunno if it was game 3 that did it. To me, it was  Game 1. The Flames opened a big lead and then they showed a bunch of cracks in the foundation when Edmonton poured it on. I don't think the Flames really recovered from that. 

21 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I dunno if it was game 3 that did it. To me, it was  Game 1. The Flames opened a big lead and then they showed a bunch of cracks in the foundation when Edmonton poured it on. I don't think the Flames really recovered from that. 

That's fair.

The Flames also had a lead in game 2. I was at that game. Backlund had a breakway/partial break. I believe the Flames were up either 2-1 or 2-0. They had Smith on the ropes after game 1. If Backlund scores, it's likely Koskinen's net. Backlund heels it into the corner.

Game 3 Edmonton smoked the Flames.

1 hour ago, medatswhoP said:

Oilers:

One line with no depth and a mediocre goalie basically dooms you from cup contention. Draisaitel will be the first to leave.

That $9.25 for Nurse is rearing its ugly head. $5.125 for Kane. Campbell's retirement contract of $5 buried for 3 more years.

Every team has bad contracts. It's the compounding ones that kill you. Ask Detroit. Bring in a Cap and suddenly Holland doesn't look like a great GM.

"I'll deal with the cap implications later"...welcome to Edmonton and Toronto. Little depth because they, "dealt with cap implications later", shall we call it?

This headline will forever live in infamy for Wings fans. The day balance and reasoning left Ken Holland:

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/dallas-stars-announce-hiring-of-jim-nill-as-new-general-manager/

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sak22 said:

The Oilers are a deeper team now they said, McDavid - 29:42, Draisaitl - 29:04, Hyman - 26:12.

Some fairness, 3 PP vs no Pks in the 3rd is going to flip that because the oilers basically only run the 1 PP unit. 

Skinner is the main reason the Oilers are down in the series IMO. I think generally the Oilers are carrying the play but they are just getting no clutch saves at all. For sure some D and turnover issues are leading to chances but you still gotta make some saves and he isn't and Silovs is playing much better than I thought he would. Been impressive. 

18 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Some fairness, 3 PP vs no Pks in the 3rd is going to flip that because the oilers basically only run the 1 PP unit. 

Skinner is the main reason the Oilers are down in the series IMO. I think generally the Oilers are carrying the play but they are just getting no clutch saves at all. For sure some D and turnover issues are leading to chances but you still gotta make some saves and he isn't and Silovs is playing much better than I thought he would. Been impressive. 

Proves my point, a deeper team can run a 2nd unit and not play 1 lines for the 3 minutes a goalie is pulled, 2nd unit even scored the first PP the and the reward is to never see the ice in the 3rd on the 2 PP's.  Even Colorado who was chasing all game and probably overplayed their stars still kept Rantanen to barely over 25 and Mackinnon to 23.  Just don't think its good strategy at this time of year.

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

Proves my point, a deeper team can run a 2nd unit and not play 1 lines for the 3 minutes a goalie is pulled, 2nd unit even scored the first PP the and the reward is to never see the ice in the 3rd on the 2 PP's.  Even Colorado who was chasing all game and probably overplayed their stars still kept Rantanen to barely over 25 and Mackinnon to 23.  Just don't think its good strategy at this time of year.

Not suggesting it is just pointing out the PPs. With the talent the Oilers have on the PP I would agree with running the 1 unit. I think 2nd units are over rated at this time of the year. 

but 5 on 5 Knoblauch has not done a good job of balancing things out I would agree, althought having Henrique at not 100% is hurting them. Gotta love the GM who gives up a 1st round pick for a 35 year old TDL acquisition. 

In real time, I thought McDavid dove on that scrum but he got the worse of it.  $5k fine is a joke though.  Should have been 1 game for Zadorov and then McDavid and Soucy should get $5k fine each for slashing at the end of regulation.

10 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

In real time, I thought McDavid dove on that scrum but he got the worse of it.  $5k fine is a joke though.  Should have been 1 game for Zadorov and then McDavid and Soucy should get $5k fine each for slashing at the end of regulation.

They don't show the hit that he put on the VAN player just before.

The hot was a typical crosscheck, but it looks brutal.

That messed up Monahan way back when.

They aren't suspending crosschecks much, so only Bettman would change that.

All in all, I thought EDM brought on a lot of what they got.

You start acting tough, then you should expect being hit.

Zaddy almost cost them the game at least once.

His number is in the minds of the refs, so he won't get any free passes.

Anyway, the game was fun to watch.

Skinner is bad.