So now what?

TDL has come and gone, moves have been made and theres 20 games remaining. 

Currently:

-6 pts from last wild card spot,

-4 pts from #8 pick  

-11 of the last 20 game are divisional (15 in conference)

I'm not holding hope they'll squeeze in but I'm also not expecting them to roll over and give up either so it most likely be another "mushy middle" finish. The question is how does the season play out vs what do you want to see? Stumble into the playoffs only to face Dallas, Winnipeg or Vancouver (which has trade condition implications) or pick in the mid teens again and hope it turns into a roster player eventually.

There wasnt alot of expectations going into the season but the future looks bright. As a diehard I want to see them get in but if youre going to do a reset this is the time. New faces, new attitudes, new start come October.

I'll give this team a lot of credit, they battle hard. I know they won't give up.

But I have a hard time seeing that d core being able to get them into the playoffs. I don't think the bottom is going to drop out, but over 20 games I just don't think there is enough there for them to keep their heads above water night after night. 

I think they stumble and wind up playing slightly under .500 hockey from here out and wind up in the 10-13 range of the draft.

• Like 1

Steinberg calculated that they probably need to go 14-5-1 to get in.

Seems unlikely and probably is. But there are seven games remaining against bottom five type teams. Obviously, they play down to their competition, but if they want to be a playoff team, they can take care of some of the worst teams in hockey. Then it’s 7-5-1 against the remainder of the schedule 

I think the playoffs are a real stretch. I would love to see the Flames sneak into the top ten of the draft though. At least give themselves somewhat of a chance at the lottery

5 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Seems unlikely and probably is. But there are seven games remaining against bottom five type teams. Obviously, they play down to their competition, but if they want to be a playoff team, they can take care of some of the worst teams in hockey. Then it’s 7-5-1 against the remainder of the schedule 

Theres also 1 against Edmonton and Vegas, 2 against LA. Winning those 4 would be vital. As would be the game against St.Loo.

3 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Theres also 1 against Edmonton and Vegas, 2 against LA. Winning those 4 would be vital. As would be the game against St.Loo.

The Vegas game will be big. The next four games are very tough. Anything but 2-2 would be nice, gives a little more clarity as to how the final stretch will play out 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think the playoffs are a real stretch. I would love to see the Flames sneak into the top ten of the draft though. At least give themselves somewhat of a chance at the lottery

We have played better against playoff teams.  Not so good against the Pacific.

I would say at best we are 10-8-2 and I think that's pushing it.

Over the rest of this month, we have 11 games and I think we get 4 wins.

In April, we may manage 3 wins.

Well your timing couldn't be better. We are b2b today in FLA and tomorrow in Carolina. This could be the time. Monday morning is likely the answer.

Vegas has Detroit tonight and the sked has killed Detroit in that they just haven't been playing enough games to get in sync. And it's likely Reimer after losing to ARI last night. The Preds have the Wild tomorrow.

She's a tall order to take both of our games and we really can't afford losses vs Preds and Vegas wins. We've run out of real estate.

Realistically, this b2b should kill us. If it doesn't, well, they'll have huge admiration from me.

Onwards and upwards!

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

ha! A lot of their losses have come to the lower end of the league.

i think they take them for granted and then the upper teams take the Flames for granted. 
think it's the same old thing... 

5 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Well your timing couldn't be better. We are b2b today in FLA and tomorrow in Carolina. This could be the time. Monday morning is likely the answer.

Vegas has Detroit tonight and the sked has killed Detroit in that they just haven't been playing enough games to get in sync. And it's likely Reimer after losing to ARI last night. The Preds have the Wild tomorrow.

She's a tall order to take both of our games and we really can't afford losses vs Preds and Vegas wins. We've run out of real estate.

Realistically, this b2b should kill us. If it doesn't, well, they'll have huge admiration from me.

Onwards and upwards!

they know they have to "get up" for the harder teams. It's the lower teams i am worried about.

The Flames have always been a "never say die" team. I think it's why I stuck with them once they went bad after the Cup win. They always fought hard in many games. Albeit, in the 90's and early 00's I only got to see them on some Saturday nights and whatever odd game they might have played the Leafs on TSN.

Boy, getting hockey on tv was such a hard task. Just take what they give you. Similar these days, but nhl should make it so a person can pay to watch one team for the season. Maybe discount it? 

I paid for packages over the last 5+ years. After last years' Flames garbage, it sullied me so much I wasn't going to pay it, so old school, I now wait to watch the Flames on CBC Gem for free. Lol I should really say, the way they let Sutter run the show really showed me what kind of team the flames are, and how he treated people really was appalling.

We're not winning any cups this year, we're almost definitely not making the playoffs,  and if we do, we'll regret making them.  Shoulda traded Markstom.

But.

Not all is lost.  And this year is not pointless. 

I suspect we have removed a lot of dressing room poison over the last few months.

We still have some, but every team does.   The key is to make sure they are the minority,  so they don't  tale over the team's identity. 

We have a Russian presence.  This is awesome.   It cannot be underestimated how important this will be for us in the coming years.

Now should be a time for attitude and character building.   We are in a rebuild.   We are.  But it doesn't have to be terrible like up north.   This should actually be when the foundation for a winning culture is formed.   And it doesn't always have to be defined by wins.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Flames have proven the bottom tier opponents are guaranteed losses. No playoffs.  Revamped D will be much better than anticipated. Hopefully Wolf gets minimum 10 starts.

10 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

TDL has come and gone, moves have been made and theres 20 games remaining. 

Currently:

-6 pts from last wild card spot,

-4 pts from #8 pick  

-11 of the last 20 game are divisional (15 in conference)

I'm not holding hope they'll squeeze in but I'm also not expecting them to roll over and give up either so it most likely be another "mushy middle" finish. The question is how does the season play out vs what do you want to see? Stumble into the playoffs only to face Dallas, Winnipeg or Vancouver (which has trade condition implications) or pick in the mid teens again and hope it turns into a roster player eventually.

There wasnt alot of expectations going into the season but the future looks bright. As a diehard I want to see them get in but if youre going to do a reset this is the time. New faces, new attitudes, new start come October.

We’ll had they traded Markstrom this would not be an issue…unless maybe he gets injured but no fan wants to see a player injury…

gotta hope the teams we play in the last 20 games have more reason, talent and drive to win and hope they loose most of them.  Having said that I’d like for them to be close losses no blow out losses. Like tonin FLA

7 hours ago, robrob74 said:

The Flames have always been a "never say die" team. I think it's why I stuck with them once they went bad after the Cup win. They always fought hard in many games. Albeit, in the 90's and early 00's I only got to see them on some Saturday nights and whatever odd game they might have played the Leafs on TSN.

Boy, getting hockey on tv was such a hard task. Just take what they give you. Similar these days, but nhl should make it so a person can pay to watch one team for the season. Maybe discount it? 

I paid for packages over the last 5+ years. After last years' Flames garbage, it sullied me so much I wasn't going to pay it, so old school, I now wait to watch the Flames on CBC Gem for free. Lol I should really say, the way they let Sutter run the show really showed me what kind of team the flames are, and how he treated people really was appalling.

Dude buy and Amazon fire stick, get IPTV and good internet…you can watch any game and you also get all the pay pay per views too…total

cost for a good IPTv should be about 150 and the firesticks Go On sale between 30-80 pending on which one you get.

You also get all the new movies too…just check out the different IPTV services to see which is best in your area…also be sure they are registered in canada it’s legal as long as they are legally registered. Worse case if

you get a service that’s not, it could get cancelled and then you loose that money and your looking for a new service…but like I said if You take some time and check out a bunch, there are some

good legal ones in canada 

• Thanks 1

So in the summer, the Flames now have new contracts to negotiate with:

RFA

Pelletier (1.5x1 for still RFA)

Okhotiuk (min raise)

Schwindt (min raise or cut loose)

Klapka (min raise)

Damiani (min raise)

Jones (min raise or cut loose)

Kuznetsov (Small raise)

Solovyov (Small raise)

Lyle (min raise or cut loose)

Wolf (Raise depends on summer goalie situation, likely modest similar to Pelletier)

UFA:

Kylington (Likely hold close, small raise)

Gilbert (likely walks)

Greer (small raise, 850k x 2)

Osterle (likely walks)

Poolman (likely walks)

Pysyk (likely walks)

Dansk (min raise)

Next year is much more complex. Interesting to see what happens.

Perhaps a bit soon to project the AHL level players and QO or raises they might get.

It doesn't even concern me since the UFA's aren't even projected into the NHL.

The NHL team is going to be interesting as to what they do.

I see 10 forward players longer term, with 13 signed and a couple RFA (Dube is likely a walk away).

The team needs surgery and we did a wart removal.

Trading players who wouldn't re-sign is not a strategy to improve a team.

That's all we have done.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Perhaps a bit soon to project the AHL level players and QO or raises they might get.

It doesn't even concern me since the UFA's aren't even projected into the NHL.

The NHL team is going to be interesting as to what they do.

I see 10 forward players longer term, with 13 signed and a couple RFA (Dube is likely a walk away).

The team needs surgery and we did a wart removal.

Trading players who wouldn't re-sign is not a strategy to improve a team.

That's all we have done.

So who do you feel needs to be excised?

8 hours ago, cberg said:

So who do you feel needs to be excised?

I don't know exactly, but we can't expect mostly the same team that two years in a row has failed, to somehow become a playoff team.

We have many players that are below their career averages.

Backlund, Coleman, Sharky, Kadri, Weegar, Ras are at or above their normal output.

May have 1-3 guys that hit 30 goals.

If we managed to get a top 6 player, a really good prospect, and solid top 4 D for Markstrom and Mangiapane, we would be better off on that end.

Replace him with a decent starter and see who the backup should be.

Have a 4th line capable of putting up points or not getting buried.

We have almost no other F that are NHL ready.

Seems like a bad dream.  4 trades of our old core and we have zero difference makers.

One F in all those deals and he was a cap dump.  Like the player but he needs a solid C.

I do not envision a huge change in the NHL and AHL rosters for next season.

I don't feel that anyone on the Flames with any term will be traded before the next TDL.

I think that Dube, Osterle, Poolman, Pysyk, and Gilbert will not be re-signed.

Greer and Lyle are potentials at best.

Damiani, Dansk, Jones, Kuznetsov, Okhotiuk, Schwindt, and Solovyov are probable.

Kylington and Wolf are getting re-signed for sure. 

On 3/10/2024 at 10:55 PM, 420since1974 said:

I do not envision a huge change in the NHL and AHL rosters for next season.

I don't feel that anyone on the Flames with any term will be traded before the next TDL.

I think that Dube, Osterle, Poolman, Pysyk, and Gilbert will not be re-signed.

Greer and Lyle are potentials at best.

Damiani, Dansk, Jones, Kuznetsov, Okhotiuk, Schwindt, and Solovyov are probable.

Kylington and Wolf are getting re-signed for sure. 

What makes you think Kyl will resign here he is a UFA and will be looking to play with a winning team not a team who will be at the bottom for the next 3 to 4 yrs ?

54 minutes ago, zima said:

What makes you think Kyl will resign here he is a UFA and will be looking to play with a winning team not a team who will be at the bottom for the next 3 to 4 yrs ?

I don't think teams are rushing to sign Kylington because he's coming back from a year off hockey.  Too much risk.  He's going to get a one year "prove it" contract, even from the Flames.  He is going to want to go where he's got a chance to prove himself and that place is the Flames.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I don't think teams are rushing to sign Kylington because he's coming back from a year off hockey.  Too much risk.  He's going to get a one year "prove it" contract, even from the Flames.  He is going to want to go where he's got a chance to prove himself and that place is the Flames.

I tend to think he gets 2 years.  He proved what he is capable with a competent partner.  Ras got re-signed in 2020 during a season we still had Gio and Brodie.  I think it's fair to wait till the summer to re-sign Kylington, but maybe that doesn't make sense for dealing with a guy that had personal struggles the last two years.  He may not be due a big raise, but getting rid of the pending UFA status may help.