So now what?

Yes Janko was not such a reach as people like to label him.   It was after all during  the Fester Fiasco years so it has its own legs just for that connection.  A 6' 4 centre with family athletic pedigree he must have looked enticing in a bad draft year. (did we not move back and get another pick aswell?  Or was that another year?).  For a 21st pick he has played 300 odd games in the NHL.  Not stellar but certainly a damn sight better than plenty of picks before and after him.

Like conundrumed said, other than the Bedard slam dunk type picks, they are 18 years old and no one really knows what they are going to turn ot to be.  Better to have loads of picks and spread your probability of acquiring a good NHL'er.  

I thought this draft year was meant to be one of the worst in recent memory?    So I am happy they are loading picks for 25 and 26 aswell.

35 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Actually i said the opposite. I said Vasilevsky is the player that makes you scratch your head. I'm simply offering the possibility that it's likely the Flames didn't have a good read on him as they were not scouting Russia much at the time. 

I don't think passing on a few good, but not great players, makes it an all time bad decision nor does it mean they were way off on their evaluation of the player. It makes it a bad pick but bad picks happen all the time by every franchise. 

I wouldn't put Janko in the top 5 worst picks in Flames history, let alone call him an all time worst decision but if you want to go over the top by all means. 

I will always go over the top with Jankowski because of the fundamental rules that were broken that allowed it to happen,  and the Many Stanley Cups that were lost to teams who did real scouting that year.

It was a lazy move derived from a depleted scouting program.

I am happy to make it not about Jankowski,  himself.   If that helps.   Whoever was assigned to the AJHL did their job and did it well.

I give you that.  And I am not a Jankowski hater.

But when you have a 14th overall pick and pickings look slim,  it's obviously not a good year to scout local only.

The breakdown of good practices and cascading of poor decisions,  cast against the Many stanley cups lost to the team who scouted this draft well, is what puts it on that naughty list.

2 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I will always go over the top with Jankowski because of the fundamental rules that were broken that allowed it to happen,  and the Many Stanley Cups that were lost to teams who did real scouting that year.

It was a lazy move derived from a depleted scouting program.

I am happy to make it not about Jankowski,  himself.   If that helps.   Whoever was assigned to the AJHL did their job and did it well.

I give you that.  And I am not a Jankowski hater.

But when you have a 14th overall pick and pickings look slim,  it's obviously not a good year to scout local only.

The breakdown of good practices and cascading of poor decisions,  cast against the Many stanley cups lost to the team who scouted this draft well, is what puts it on that naughty list.

You might want to look up where Jankowski was actually playing before you throw a criticism in there that isn't valid. 

But agreed there was some bad process in there, most important of which was the size and breadth of the Flames scouting team at the time. Happy that's been corrected. It is fair to criticize the organization's scouting at the time for sure and I would too. It was getting better, but wasn't there yet. 

By no means suggesting the Flames were in good shape or handled that draft well because they didn't. Just that I think it should be pointed out that their evaluation on Jankowski was not near as bad as it's made out to be. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cross16 said:

You might want to look up where Jankowski was actually playing before you throw a criticism in there that isn't valid. 

But agreed there was some bad process in there, most important of which was the size and breadth of the Flames scouting team at the time. Happy that's been corrected. It is fair to criticize the organization's scouting at the time for sure and I would too. It was getting better, but wasn't there yet. 

By no means suggesting the Flames were in good shape or handled that draft well because they didn't. Just that I think it should be pointed out that their evaluation on Jankowski was not near as bad as it's made out to be. 

I don't even view the Janko pick as the worst of that 2012.

Seiloff and Gillies, though I admit Gillies was a bad case of development.

3 throw away picks in the later rounds.

You might well argue that the 2011 draft was worse with the exception of Gaudreau.

Two picks in the 2nd round and we pick Granlund and Wotherspoon over Kucherov.

Even though we had eyes on him supposedly.

Some idiot decide to trade Brossoit.

Anyway I am relatively happy with the progression of drafting.