Dillon Dube

The_People1

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm with you buddy.  I was worried about this when it first surfaced, but assured by many that it was not him.

Seems to me that his play followed the coming storm, in that he never seemed to be 100% all there.

The dropoff is possible with players that just struggle, but this seemed more.

Okay, so the reality is now he will be charged with something.

At best it might be negligence for not reporting it, but that's a stretch.

At worst, he's charged with the really bad ones.

He's not guilty until proven guilty, but being aquitted isn't innocent.

If he was there, and it happened, and he was part of it, he's a dirt bag.

He has officially been charged with sexual assault...

Team Statement on Dillon Dube | Calgary Flames (nhl.com)

We have now become aware of the charge of sexual assault that has been laid against Dillon Dube. We take this matter very seriously. Because the matter is now pending legal proceedings, we will have no further comment at this time.

We had no knowledge of pending charges at the time Dillon’s request for a leave of absence was granted.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

He has officially been charged with sexual assault...

Yeah, my bad.  I had posted that before seeing the statement from the Flames.

I have edited the post to remove the stuff that is no longer even possible.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I'm with you buddy.  I was worried about this when it first surfaced, but assured by many that it was not him.

Seems to me that his play followed the coming storm, in that he never seemed to be 100% all there.

The dropoff is possible with players that just struggle, but this seemed more.

Okay, so the reality is now he will be charged with something.

At best it might be negligence for not reporting it, but that's a stretch.

At worst, he's charged with the really bad ones.

He's not guilty until proven guilty, but being aquitted isn't innocent.

If he was there, and it happened, and he was part of it, he's a dirt bag.

EDIT - If he was there and it happened, he's also one.

4 hours ago, The_Tribal Chief said:

there is alot of nhl players being accused of sexual assualt on this we will see there all pleading not guilty

It allegedly started with one guy, and the other joined in at a later time.

The original guy may not even be one of the 5 charged.

But, TBH do we really know what supposedly happened?

The details will come out of some point.

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

If what Frank is saying is true, that the team was in the dark, then Dube must've lied to the team when asking for personal time off.

I think the players abused taking time off in the name of Mental Health in this one. Total Hash Rate A-holes

On 1/30/2024 at 4:20 PM, cross16 said:

Frank has been really off on this one and honestly he's really starting to hurt his credibility with me.

Trying to absolve the teams of this is a bad look. This has been talked about in the hockey world for some time and the names that are being charged have not exactly been kept quiet. 

I don't doubt at all that players were told by the counsel not to say anything but that doesn't mean the clubs didn't know. 

Heres the thing...as someone who missed time for work due to mentsl health let me tell you how it works ...

You don't go to your boss and say I'm taking time off..your physician notifies the management and or the hr department that you are under care and are going to miss time .. so the flames announced what was reported to them by his physician ..  they are not told why ..any details .. it's private and confidential..

There were 20+ players on that team.. speculation is gonna happen but all names were court sealed when hockey Canada settled the case years ago.. nobody knew the names ..not even the NHL..  and no details from the investigation were shared until the 5 were told to surrender ..  I see no blame on the flames here whatsoever

One of 2 things happened ..

Either...

Players likely had advanced notice of what was coming.. Dube saw his life was basically down the drain and it may have legitimately made him snap..possibly suicidal...leading to his mental health diagnosis ...

Or 

He knew a player on mental health leave can't be cut or terminated ..so he saved his paychecks 

The flames were the leaders of recognizing mental health..they were the first to hire a guy like mcgrattan to work with players..

How they handled the kyllington situation was nothing but A++ Class...  Do people really think they'd jeopardize that reputation not to mention the fallout just to protect a player like Dube ? 

If the flames had an ounce of knowledge that he was one of the ones involved do you not think he'd have been buried in the echl by now ? They turfed Bill Peters for less ..  he issued a statement way back stating he was not involved ..that's the same response the flames would have gotten... They were discussing extension at one point FFS 

Everyone knew at some point names would surface..covering up would be a guaranteed exposure and backlash ..

The concept that the flames knew..the league knew ..is ludicrous 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Heres the thing...as someone who missed time for work due to mentsl health let me tell you how it works ...

You don't go to your boss and say I'm taking time off..your physician notifies the management and or the hr department that you are under care and are going to miss time .. so the flames announced what was reported to them by his physician ..  they are not told why ..any details .. it's private and confidential..

There were 20+ players on that team.. speculation is gonna happen but all names were court sealed when hockey Canada settled the case years ago.. nobody knew the names ..not even the NHL..  and no details from the investigation were shared until the 5 were told to surrender ..  I see no blame on the flames here whatsoever

Either...

Players likely had advanced notice of what was coming.. Dube saw his life was basically down the drain and it may have legitimately made him snap..possibly suicidal...leading to his mental health diagnosis ...

Or 

He knew a player on mental health leave can't be cut or terminated ..so he saved his paychecks 

The flames were the leaders of recognizing mental health..they were the first to hire a guy like mcgrattan to work with players..

How they handled the kyllington situation was nothing but A++ Class...  Do people really think they'd jeopardize that reputation not to mention the fallout just to protect a player like Dube ? 

If the flames had an ounce of knowledge that he was one of the ones involved do you not think he'd have been buried in the echl by now ? They turfed Bill Peters for less ..  he issued a statement way back stating he was not involved ..that's the same response the flames would have gotten... They were discussing extension at one point FFS 

Everyone knew at some point names would surface..covering up would be a guaranteed exposure and backlash ..

Interesting thanks for sharing.  I just wonder why Dube didn't check in with NHL Players Assistance program or did he?  That's what Patrick Laine did and it was announced to everyone.

I'm leaning a bit towards this being a lawyer advice thing.   Telling Dube to preemptively declare insanity in advance sort of deal to get sympathy from judges/jury.  Just a ploy and legal strategy in the end.

15 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Either...

Or 

I have approved mental health leaves at my work. I’m very familiar with how it works. 

all I will say is I’ve know for some time that Dube was involved and that if charges were filled he’d be named. So sure if you want to believe the flames or the league didn’t know be my guest but I won’t. This has not been a well kept secret.

but at no point did I blame the flames or the nhl because I don’t. I believe all 5 of them should get their day in court and even if I heard he was involved I would not advocate cutting or burying a player until the legal process played out. I just don’t like Seravelli trying to push this angle that the clubs were totally taken aback by this. Just furthers a culture that should want to change itself. 

14 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Interesting thanks for sharing.  I just wonder why Dube didn't check in with NHL Players Assistance program or did he?  That's what Patrick Laine did and it was announced to everyone.

I'm leaning a bit towards this being a lawyer advice thing.   Telling Dube to preemptively declare insanity in advance sort of deal to get sympathy from judges/jury.  Just a ploy and legal strategy in the end.

It most likely did go through channels like that .. all the flames post said was he was taking time for mental health and under a dr care..so whatever qualifies as the benefits department in the nhl was the likely venue ..

If I'm not mistaken Laines didnt specify mental health just that he had entered the player assistance program .so that could be anything from mental to physical to chemical 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I have approved mental health leaves at my work. I’m very familiar with how it works. 

all I will say is I’ve know for some time that Dube was involved and that if charges were filled he’d be named. So sure if you want to believe the flames or the league didn’t know be my guest but I won’t. This has not been a well kept secret.

but at no point did I blame the flames or the nhl because I don’t. I believe all 5 of them should get their day in court and even if I heard he was involved I would not advocate cutting or burying a player until the legal process played out. I just don’t like Seravelli trying to push this angle that the clubs were totally taken aback by this. Just furthers a culture that should want to change itself. 

Well then I guess you should contact the London police and fill them in cuz you obviously have some insider knowledge nobody else did.they can use . some of the bigger names on the ever spinning rumor mill weren't even named (batherson etc) ...  Technically every player was a suspect but nobody was confirmed until now ..aside from sealed documents from an investigation and settlement that was swept under the rug 

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Also in Canada you can't deny mental health leave if it's ordered by a physician 

9 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Well then I guess you should contact the London police and fill them in cuz you obviously have some insider knowledge nobody else did.they can use . some of the bigger names on the ever spinning rumor mill weren't even named (batherson etc) ...  Technically every player was a suspect but nobody was confirmed until now ..aside from sealed documents from an investigation and settlement that was swept under the rug 

there is a difference between knowing someone was involved and evidence required to proceed with charges. 

The thing about the NHL is they did their own investigation and then when it came out they released a statement that Utah wants a team to distract the nhl fan world to make the nhl look desirable, maybe a coincidence, but nhl is run by smart people lawyers who play the law game a lot and know how to try keep an image. 

6 hours ago, robrob74 said:

The thing about the NHL is they did their own investigation and then when it came out they released a statement that Utah wants a team to distract the nhl fan world to make the nhl look desirable, maybe a coincidence, but nhl is run by smart people lawyers who play the law game a lot and know how to try keep an image. 

Just keep in mind the league and the NHLPA can be at odds about this type of thing.  The union is all about protecting their members.  The league is all about reputational hits that could impact media deals and worldwide interest.  At odds to that is their desire to attract female viewers etc.  

Hockey Canada is the bigger villain at this point.  If it took 6 years for the London Police and slightly less for HC to even admit anything was wrong is a bad look.  HC used NDA's and hush money to cover this up.  

As Cross would suggest and logic dictate, the teams would know more than they said.  Officially, they are in a bad situation about being 100% honest.  

Just keep in mind the league and the NHLPA can be at odds about this type of thing.  The union is all about protecting their members.  The league is all about reputational hits that could impact media deals and worldwide interest.  At odds to that is their desire to attract female viewers etc.  

Hockey Canada is the bigger villain at this point.  If it took 6 years for the London Police and slightly less for HC to even admit anything was wrong is a bad look.  HC used NDA's and hush money to cover this up.  

As Cross would suggest and logic dictate, the teams would know more than they said.  Officially, they are in a bad situation about being 100% honest.  

100% agree with this post , HC is embarrassing at this point.

8 hours ago, robrob74 said:

The league showed its true colours back with Chicago, they were there to quickly point out that they had no legal responsibilities to Aldrich's victims all while showing no remorse that a crime existed against a minor because of the actions of one of its teams.  As you said they are run by lawyers, they don't care how they look to the public as long as they can't get sued.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

The league showed its true colours back with Chicago, they were there to quickly point out that they had no legal responsibilities to Aldrich's victims all while showing no remorse that a crime existed against a minor because of the actions of one of its teams.  As you said they are run by lawyers, they don't care how they look to the public as long as they can't get sued.

And then the Blackhawks won the most consequential draft lottery since McDavid... but Arizona lost their pick for conducting illegal pre-draft testing.

A false equivalency, perhaps, but that's one of those things that I can't get stoked about.

Love.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

And then the Blackhawks won the most consequential draft lottery since McDavid... but Arizona lost their pick for conducting illegal pre-draft testing.

A false equivalency, perhaps, but that's one of those things that I can't get stoked about.

Love.

Yes, I'm sure they have already recouped much of that $2 million wrist slap.

• Like 1

What is the Flames next moves in this regard, or the other teams? Do they have to inquire through the league? Does a league want to wait until proven innocent or guilty? What should be the code of conduct around the league? I get some people deserve a private life and so where is the line.

I am disgusted by this, so I just don't know.

55 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

So he’s probably the primary aggressor, either way, I’m pretty sure Dube’s contract will be terminated and a roster spot is now open.

I guess technically, his conduct (alleged) would be contrary to the terms set out in the standard player contract.  Perry was terminated for conduct around the team.  This is more serious.

What I don't know is if you terminate and the NHLPA appeals pending the outcome?

I guess technically, his conduct (alleged) would be contrary to the terms set out in the standard player contract.  Perry was terminated for conduct around the team.  This is more serious.

What I don't know is if you terminate and the NHLPA appeals pending the outcome?

I think this is one of those cases the NHLPA won’t argue unless the player is found innocent, this is far more severe than Perry and the NHLPA didn’t appeal it but they could have.

its been mentioned that all 5 guys are expected to see their contracts terminated.  I think it’s a team decision, on when and if, some teams may opt to terminate after charges are laid others may opt to wait till a verdict is announced…obviously if guilty they would be terminated, but I think as soon as the charges are officially laid the team has the option at that point…kinda like Lucic in Bos, his contract was terminated only after charges were officially laid.