2023/24 Roster/Lines

conundrumed

5 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

My mistake.

You are correct, Klapka is exempt from waivers.

I wasn't picking on that fact.  I had to look anyway.  We have a difficult situation with so many vets on a so-called re-tooling team.  We need to be using this year to develop the prospects as much as possible.  If Hunt is not a long term treasure, why are we using him?  He's a good soldier and we always do that.  It hasn't worked.  We are the nice guys.  

Where I agree with being nice guys is not bringing in the douchebags of the NHL.  Stay away from trouble.  Keep your Kane's and Perry's and DeAngelo's etc.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Great to hear Stromgren and Grusnikov(sp?) have had solid starts to camp as players further along in development.

Stromgren was written off by so many, it's great to see lots of positives being spoken about him now.

He was called up and didn't get a lot of looks.  I think the issue may have had more to do with being jealous.  That was the pick that wasn't Stankoven.  But he did have a slow start to the AHL.  I think a lot of Swedes tend to be too much 2-way and they don't start out as good scorers.  Backlund was a scorer first and became two-way.  

From what I understood Grush just wasn't scoring.  If all he becomes is a Tanev that defends well, then that's not bad either.

I don’t think our D is terrible, it is definitely unproven and is clearly missing a 3rd par LD…

Weegar/Anderson

Bean/Bahl

???/Miromanov

Pachal, was good enough for 3rd line duties but he’s a RD, he’s best served now as a reserve for RD 

Hanley he’s 33 and TBH Pachal is better, though Hanley can play both L and R, he’s not good enough for 3rd pairing.

Okhoiutk, didn’t have a good showing since we acquired him…he’s LD which is good but I not sure he’s the best to pair with Miramanov, as I think he’s more offensively geared like Marimanov.  He’s an RFA and Conroy hasn’t re-upped him.  I think Conroy sees him as a if we can’t land or promote another LD between now and opening of camp he may re-up him but at this point I think he’s a last option.

Ideally, Grushnikov would be ready and mesh well with Miramanov, move Hanley and let Okhoiutk walk and keep Pachal as the 7th D.

28 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

I don’t think our D is terrible, it is definitely unproven and is clearly missing a 3rd par LD…

Weegar/Anderson

Bean/Bahl

???/Miromanov

Pachal, was good enough for 3rd line duties but he’s a RD, he’s best served now as a reserve for RD 

Hanley he’s 33 and TBH Pachal is better, though Hanley can play both L and R, he’s not good enough for 3rd pairing.

Okhoiutk, didn’t have a good showing since we acquired him…he’s LD which is good but I not sure he’s the best to pair with Miramanov, as I think he’s more offensively geared like Marimanov.  He’s an RFA and Conroy hasn’t re-upped him.  I think Conroy sees him as a if we can’t land or promote another LD between now and opening of camp he may re-up him but at this point I think he’s a last option.

Ideally, Grushnikov would be ready and mesh well with Miramanov, move Hanley and let Okhoiutk walk and keep Pachal as the 7th D.

Just don't sign anymore D.  Play the kids.  Open up at least 1 starting roster spot and rotate in the best LD from the Wranglers as reward for good play.

13 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Just don't sign anymore D.  Play the kids.  Open up at least 1 starting roster spot and rotate in the best LD from the Wranglers as reward for good play.

Yes kinda, but depends…if one of the kids are ready…if not then they may need a LD…as good as some of the young D prospects are and could be, they are D and take time to develop…we have to be prepared to not see them for 3-4 years maybe more…some as don’t develop till after 25 years old…

others can and do early like

Makar but he’s a bit of an exceptional talent, and we may in fact give one from this years draft…But TBH, I’d much rather develop our younger guys at D a bit slower than say our forwards.

Fla and to a lesser degree Edm (as odd as it sounds, but they were one of the better D teams this year, mostly due to Commitment from guys like McDavid to D) win Championships…So building a deep strong young  D core bodes well…but we need to be careful to not rush them but also balance the need to move them up to the big sow whenever they are ready…

id be quite ok with adding another defensive LD this year for the 3rd pair…I see both Anderson and Weegar as phase out options over the next few years.  Our RD is very deep both current NHL roster and in the AHL/minors we seem to be lacking in LD at both pro and minor levels, we could use a few adds on that through this year. 

goal is solid, much like

the D young and unproven but has all the makings to be a top tier duo either by way of Vladar or Cooley backing up Wolf 

of they sure up that LD then the real

tough work Can start on Ctrs…lots of

work to do here and a bit on the RW to go still too.

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He was called up and didn't get a lot of looks.  I think the issue may have had more to do with being jealous.  That was the pick that wasn't Stankoven.  But he did have a slow start to the AHL.  I think a lot of Swedes tend to be too much 2-way and they don't start out as good scorers.  Backlund was a scorer first and became two-way.  

From what I understood Grush just wasn't scoring.  If all he becomes is a Tanev that defends well, then that's not bad either.

Stromgren didn't get much for reps in Sweden, so imo it was important to get him here for development. As a Detroit fan, trust me on this. lol There is a very real minimum 2 years for them to adjust to the game here when they come over. Even Edvinsson had 2 years up and down. Albert Johansson 4.

Stevie's latest interview, he said AlJo will be on the big club this year. I was literally trading him to Calgary out of frustration.

He didn't say, "if he earns it" like he always does.

All of us are excited to hear that. Big Ed and AlJo on the blueline is big news. You keep going, "we have all of these great D prospects, will you ever jump them up"?

Some days, it feels like forever. Flames fans are really going to have to get used to that.

You almost forget that you have that prospect. lol

Then a Zary or Pospisil pops right into your roster.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Yesterday morning he picked the corner on two beauty shots… who’d have guessed?