GM Craig Conroy

Thebrewcrew

32 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I like Arvidsson, but Not sure what he is worth.

I tend to agree about one year deals.

We have always tended to sign for too long and can't flip the player.

Pick up guys that can help and if they work out, decide if you want to get value or keep them.

Assuming they ain't too old.

I think of guys like Lybushkin. ANA was kinda tidy. They spent a 4th, he was good for them, flipped for a 3rd. They don't have to be big wins, just wins. Positive side of the ledger. Maybe a $5mil guy gets you a late 1st, $3mil guy gets you a 2nd. Cost analysis for people smarter than me.

I have great faith that Conny and Iggy put their heads together, and we'll be fine. The other 31 teams aren't dumb. Wins come in small doses. It takes a looong time to put a managing structure into place. You can't change mgrs and impose the same restrictions on them and expect change.

Even CNRL might, maybe, hopefully recognize that. This is where I become doubtful, sadly.

Chances of me applauding CNRL, as a company, are slim to none, and slim just left town.

So that bias sucks, but it's real. There are oil companies, then there are Apache-level dirty af companies. Just sayin'.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I think of guys like Lybushkin. ANA was kinda tidy. They spent a 4th, he was good for them, flipped for a 3rd. They don't have to be big wins, just wins. Positive side of the ledger. Maybe a $5mil guy gets you a late 1st, $3mil guy gets you a 2nd. Cost analysis for people smarter than me.

I have great faith that Conny and Iggy put their heads together, and we'll be fine. The other 31 teams aren't dumb. Wins come in small doses. It takes a looong time to put a managing structure into place. You can't change mgrs and impose the same restrictions on them and expect change.

Even CNRL might, maybe, hopefully recognize that. This is where I become doubtful, sadly.

Chances of me applauding CNRL, as a company, are slim to none, and slim just left town.

So that bias sucks, but it's real. There are oil companies, then there are Apache-level dirty af companies. Just sayin'.

Owners look for profit in everything they do, unless the books need to be cooked for a year or two.  I don't know who the other 31 are so no real comment otherwise.

Maybe BT only ever looked at 2 year minimum signings or that's all he could get signed.  Mind you, that was for the players he targeted.  Rodrigues was a one year guy for a few years, then signed for one in COL.  FLA waied and signed him for a few years.  Who did we target?  Rooney for 2 years.  Yes, the big prize was Kadri, but the big names are just part of it.  We saw players get scooped from the waiver wire and we were nowhere to be found.  Forsling....

Anyway, I do hope we start with one year signings.  Tired of the long term, gotta buy em out deals.  Rooney was fine in Y2, but what a waste that was as a UFA move.  2  Years couldn't give him away.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, jjgallow said:

My preliminary verdict is in after today's first round picks.

Best Flames GM since Fletcher, hands down.

Keep doing what you're doing Conroy.

Solid draft. I have my faves, and we selected almost none, so that's probably a good sign. Basha at 41, wow. Sweet sauce. Trading down and getting Misa and an extra swing. Wow. Really good draft.

I assumed Mews wouldn't be around our picks, so really championed Fischer. Well crap, Fischer went first? I guess I'm not the only one that really likes him. Doug Armstrong is from Sarnia. As an aside.

Great pick up with Mews though. Solid drafting. Good dmen got pushed back. I think we did a great job of reading the room.

We started the run on Dmen, I doubt anyone saw that coming. First star goes with Levshunov, Ottawa gets needy, I knew they would, and bet on size. As soon as someone (us) pulled the trigger on a top dman, the floodgates opened.

Our prospect pool is waaaay better today then it was on Thursday. Excellent job.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Solid draft. I have my faves, and we selected almost none, so that's probably a good sign. Basha at 41, wow. Sweet sauce. Trading down and getting Misa and an extra swing. Wow. Really good draft.

I assumed Mews wouldn't be around our picks, so really championed Fischer. Well crap, Fischer went first? I guess I'm not the only one that really likes him. Doug Armstrong is from Sarnia. As an aside.

Great pick up with Mews though. Solid drafting. Good dmen got pushed back. I think we did a great job of reading the room.

We started the run on Dmen, I doubt anyone saw that coming. First star goes with Levshunov, Ottawa gets needy, I knew they would, and bet on size. As soon as someone (us) pulled the trigger on a top dman, the floodgates opened.

Our prospect pool is waaaay better today then it was on Thursday. Excellent job.

The players selected this and next year will be ready for the AHL or NHL by the time we get a new arena.  They will be aching to join the young core we have with some solid NHL vets.  There seems to be enough space between our D prospects so they aren't all lining up at the same time looking for a job.  

The AHL forward prospects last year were a bit of a disappointment.  I get that they were not top end to begin with, but nobody that came up from junior really did a lot.  We don't have Beck anymore.  And missing Francis.  Pelletier injured too long to get back in the swing.

18 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The players selected this and next year will be ready for the AHL or NHL by the time we get a new arena.  They will be aching to join the young core we have with some solid NHL vets.  There seems to be enough space between our D prospects so they aren't all lining up at the same time looking for a job.  

The AHL forward prospects last year were a bit of a disappointment.  I get that they were not top end to begin with, but nobody that came up from junior really did a lot.  We don't have Beck anymore.  And missing Francis.  Pelletier injured too long to get back in the swing.

I could see us keeping Andersson and Weegar long term. I just said trade Andersson to Tampa for a first and two seconds but I can see the Flames looking longer term and keep those guys. 

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I could see us keeping Andersson and Weegar long term. I just said trade Andersson to Tampa for a first and two seconds but I can see the Flames looking longer term and keep those guys. 

Tampa can't afford it, they are going all in on F.  They traded Sergachev to make room.  They want cheap D and that means around 1-2M at most.  

Andersson's status depends on how he plays this year into next year.  If he's trending up in points he will want Weegar money.  I am skeptical that he will be worth that, but maybe I am a bit harsh.  He's the right age and does a lot of things well, but does some things poorly.  We may not need him if any of the prospects or current AHL crop is ready.  Then we trade him while his contract is a steal.  It has to be better than the Tanev trade.  The Hanifin one was decent enough and should be the standard minimum.

27 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

What is Andersson's incentive to stay past his contract, likes the team and city, so did Hanifin and Tanev.  The teams record right now for retaining players isn't great and most of it is on the players wanting to move on.

12 minutes ago, sak22 said:

What is Andersson's incentive to stay past his contract, likes the team and city, so did Hanifin and Tanev.  The teams record right now for retaining players isn't great and most of it is on the players wanting to move on.

Thats just it, if he wants to go, trade him soon meaning now until the deadline. If he's ok to stay, then keep him. I don't know what his personal life is like, so I'm not sure he has a partner or kids, so that probably factors in. Just saying keep him if they can. I'm all good with trading him though too. I've been saying trade him the last month or so. 

we do need some guys to insulate kids though. Maybe Weegar looks at the Cats winning the Cup and wonders if they could have with him and wants that chance. So it all depends on many factors. 

12 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Thats just it, if he wants to go, trade him soon meaning now until the deadline. If he's ok to stay, then keep him. I don't know what his personal life is like, so I'm not sure he has a partner or kids, so that probably factors in. Just saying keep him if they can. I'm all good with trading him though too. I've been saying trade him the last month or so. 

we do need some guys to insulate kids though. Maybe Weegar looks at the Cats winning the Cup and wonders if they could have with him and wants that chance. So it all depends on many factors. 

I'm all for moving him, but I'm not making much to the fact he hasn't been moved.  I think Conroy has his price and its you meet it or leave it, I don't think there is rush for teams to reach it at the moment.

5 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Time will judge , but this could potentially go down as the biggest /best trade in Flames history.. 

I am assuming that this includes the pick for Zadorov not just Lindholm.  We didn't move the 28th and didn't get the additional pick from them for making WCF.

15 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I am assuming that this includes the pick for Zadorov not just Lindholm.  We didn't move the 28th and didn't get the additional pick from them for making WCF.

The 4th rounder from Vancouver was traded down for a 5th and 6th which were the Misa and Jamieson picks.  The 5th from Zadorov was moved for Okhotyuk.

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We got the 4th. The condition would have made it a 3rd... Then we traded it for. 5/6 

34 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Time will judge , but this could potentially go down as the biggest /best trade in Flames history.. 

Trade isn't even done yet because we will trade Kuzmenko for another 1st + prospect next TDL.

24 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Maybe but then it's the tree.. this is just strictly what's known and in hand 

Trues trues.  I hope Kuzmenko has a good season.

And I can't wait to see Andersson's haul next.  But might have to wait until TDL.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Trues trues.  I hope Kuzmenko has a good season.

And I can't wait to see Andersson's haul next.  But might have to wait until TDL.

Might be waiting awhile lol

If the rumor is true we had a shot at Utah's #6 pick , but wouldn't include " roster players" ..my guess is Anderson was part of the ask .. 

4 hours ago, sak22 said:

The 4th rounder from Vancouver was traded down for a 5th and 6th which were the Misa and Jamieson picks.  The 5th from Zadorov was moved for Okhotyuk.

Yeah I mixed up the pick with the one from another trade which we didn't get.

This was to be a 3rd if they made the WCF.

Stupid EDM.

Well it turned out to be as good as getting a 3rd or possibly a 2nd.

Would have been nice to get the Dallas one.

The VGK one would have gone to a different year had we got it.

All in all, this was an absolute killing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2024 at 7:47 PM, travel_dude said:

All in all, this was an absolute killing.

I'm still beside myself with how many OHL players they've decided to let me follow this season. That's very kind of them. If the Sting are playing Saginaw, Ottawa or Brampton (ex-Mississauga) and you see a Flames jersey, that will be me. lol

Gridin to U of M would have been icing on the cake. But, as they say, you can't have everything, where would you put it?

• Like 1

I went MIA for a few weeks.

Just realized today that Mangiapane and Markstrom got traded for a 2nd and a 1st rounder...Brilliant.

Again full marks to Conroy.  I really have no idea how he got a 1st rounder for Markstrom, but it's the gift that keeps on giving.  Unless Markstrom Really turns around his play, that could turn out to be a high, high pick.  Maybe even a Misa pick on its own

Mangiapane was worth a 2nd.  But good on Conroy to commit.  And, the Capitals being so-so lately and on a downtrend, that could also be a high 2nd.  Like, scoop up a 1st-round prospect who fell, type pick.

I am impressed.  thinking about getting season tickets.   I wonder if they have a kind of blend where you get hitmen/wrangler ticket mix.    surely they do?

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

I went MIA for a few weeks.

Just realized today that Mangiapane and Markstrom got traded for a 2nd and a 1st rounder...Brilliant.

Again full marks to Conroy.  I really have no idea how he got a 1st rounder for Markstrom, but it's the gift that keeps on giving.  Unless Markstrom Really turns around his play, that could turn out to be a high, high pick.  Maybe even a Misa pick on its own

Mangiapane was worth a 2nd.  But good on Conroy to commit.  And, the Capitals being so-so lately and on a downtrend, that could also be a high 2nd.  Like, scoop up a 1st-round prospect who fell, type pick.

I am impressed.  thinking about getting season tickets.   I wonder if they have a kind of blend where you get hitmen/wrangler ticket mix.    surely they do?

The 1st is Top 10 protected... I think Misa is gone by this time of the draft 

Thh 2nd Rnd Pick is original from COL, so probably also a late one next year. 

But Yes I also like the trades Conny makes. He has a plan in his mind and stay focused on this one! 

If you go back 1 year, nonbuddy would take the Marky Contract without us to pay... now he got a 1st and a 4/5 D. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Adrian_Flames_Fan said:

The 1st is Top 10 protected... I think Misa is gone by this time of the draft 

Thh 2nd Rnd Pick is original from COL, so probably also a late one next year. 

But Yes I also like the trades Conny makes. He has a plan in his mind and stay focused on this one! 

If you go back 1 year, nonbuddy would take the Marky Contract without us to pay... now he got a 1st and a 4/5 D. 

So....

How does that work...if NJ discovers that goaltending was only a part of their problem and the other part was that they don't play defence....  and they go top 10 yet again....

then what happens at that point?