2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs

conundrumed

28 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If that wasn't in, then surely this is a holding the stick penalty?

Ya know I don't pretend to know what the refs are looking at.

2 feet away they miss stuff.  They call phantom stuff and let go others.

I don't like the call on the ice sometimes, since he's looking at the line from above or behind the goalie.

TO has to prove it's not a goal, which is as tough as proving it was.

So, as the rules suggested it was overturned because the cams showed no goal.

Had to be more than a belief.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Ya know I don't pretend to know what the refs are looking at.

2 feet away they miss stuff.  They call phantom stuff and let go others.

I don't like the call on the ice sometimes, since he's looking at the line from above or behind the goalie.

TO has to prove it's not a goal, which is as tough as proving it was.

So, as the rules suggested it was overturned because the cams showed no goal.

Had to be more than a belief.

It's like, "Welcome to the NHL", where everyone forgets reffing can be a factor in close games. Every game, everyone seems to forget that part.lol

17 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I think Matthews wants to play in ARZ where he's from.  It would be the perfect timing too because ARZ is loading up on young kids and ready to emerge from the basement.  They also might get the new Tempe arena so their financial situation will be secured.  Good fit there.

Dubas is an idiot to give Matthews max money and never bought a single year of UFA.

Is that every player wants to go home yet?

13 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I’m just at the point where I’ll believe it when I see it with the Yotes.

Ive just got a hard time seeing that ownership giving out what will be the richest contract in NHL history. It could be between 13-15x7

You really gotta feel the pain for those teams that only have 40% profit margins.

https://www.forbes.com/teams/arizona-coyotes/?sh=29b6b6306477

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Love seeing Seattle in there. For the flak Francis took for the expansion draft. It seems to never fail that when you gather the common consent the opposite is true.lol

An all 'weak' Pacific Division Conference Final would be fun.

The way SEA seems to never go away would lead you tp believe the Pacific is the strongest.

What happened to the mighty Jets and the venerable AVS.

No team in the west seems to have completely figured out goaltending.

So, it's not looking like best goalie wins the cup.

17 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Is that every player wants to go home yet?

If i'm not mistaken, the reason Dubas caved to Matthews contract demands was exactly that the threat to leave TOR for ARZ became too real (sign an offer sheet).  I was pretty sure it was ARZ that was said to be the team targeting Matthews.  Anyways, I'm just throwing it out there.  ARZ has financial troubles right now but it should be settled after they get a new arena.

Oilers finished.

This series really changed after Pietrangelo chopped down Draisaitl.  Kolesar nearly kills Ekholm last game.  Dirty is getting the job done just like in the TOR/FLA series.

Aside from that, the Oilers PP was truly something special.  Have to give it to them.  Best in history or something like that.  But keep their PP off the ice and their 5-on-5 game isn't as special especially with below average goaltending.  I know Skinner was the better regular season goaltender but clearly the playoffs was too much pressure for him.  They should've just went with Campbell.  Couldn't have been any worse.

I don't like Vegas, but I'm happy for Adin Hill. He always looked like a really good back up to me on bad teams like ARI and SJ. He's not spectacular but always steady. Former Calgary midget!! If they wanna lose 4 straight now with 1-0 and 2-1 games that would be fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Our exes seem to be getting it done in OT for the panthers. Loving the Bennett play! I'm cheering for them. I hoped either the Canes or Panthers win it all. I still like Bennett a lot. 

Yups.  If they get this version of Bobrovsky the rest of the way, then I don't see how they lose.

Watching this series I kept saying to myself, "man, if that was Markstrom, then it would've been in"

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Yups.  If they get this version of Bobrovsky the rest of the way, then I don't see how they lose.

Watching this series I kept saying to myself, "man, if that was Markstrom, then it would've been in"

Haha.  I was thinking that about any games I have watched in the playoffs.  It's not even the first shots going in glove side high, which was a huge problem.  Those 2nd chances would have been in.

Here's what bothers me about Tkachuk's play and I don't know the reasons for it.  He was deadly in round 1.  Not so much in round 2.  In round 3, he is the Gelinas.  I get that he is a game breaker that finds the holes in coverage or goaltending.  Why was he so useless against EDM with us?  Was that a result of Sutter?  I look at Bennett and see the same player trying to do it all himself.  Same types of penalties.  He is able to do something in FLA.  Obviously better line mates.  Given minutes to do something other than being gritty.  

FLA has a better roster this year than the Flames did last year, but not by leaps and bounds.  The only thing I can suggest is that either the East was an easier route to the conference final or our goaltending and coaching was so bad we never had a chance.

6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Haha.  I was thinking that about any games I have watched in the playoffs.  It's not even the first shots going in glove side high, which was a huge problem.  Those 2nd chances would have been in.

Here's what bothers me about Tkachuk's play and I don't know the reasons for it.  He was deadly in round 1.  Not so much in round 2.  In round 3, he is the Gelinas.  I get that he is a game breaker that finds the holes in coverage or goaltending.  Why was he so useless against EDM with us?  Was that a result of Sutter?  I look at Bennett and see the same player trying to do it all himself.  Same types of penalties.  He is able to do something in FLA.  Obviously better line mates.  Given minutes to do something other than being gritty.  

FLA has a better roster this year than the Flames did last year, but not by leaps and bounds.  The only thing I can suggest is that either the East was an easier route to the conference final or our goaltending and coaching was so bad we never had a chance.

for me, I thought Sutter was going to be more of a tactician and didn't do that. Instead he didn't utilize last change, and rolled lines. It's one thing to pick and choose how to roll out lines, but another to just throw them out one line at a time in order

Ah how much can change. 2 months ago every Panthers fan wanted Maurice and Bobrovsky shot into the sun.

Maurice spent nearly the entire season calmly citing injuries as the sole reason. Guess he was right. Pretty impressive how relaxed he remained.

Both are now clearly Florida's MVPeople.

Colour me impressed with Maurice, big time.

36 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Ah how much can change. 2 months ago every Panthers fan wanted Maurice and Bobrovsky shot into the sun.

Maurice spent nearly the entire season calmly citing injuries as the sole reason. Guess he was right. Pretty impressive how relaxed he remained.

Both are now clearly Florida's MVPeople.

Colour me impressed with Maurice, big time.

I guess WPG had a big problem that he couldn't fix.  Seems like the new guy was as frustrated as PM.  As much as I am glad to see FLA on the cusp of the SCF, it pains me to see who is playing a big part there.  Not that I think we ever would get by the second round had we made the playoffs, but it would have been fun to face FLA in the finals.

Ah, next year.  Right???

No love for Vegas or Dallas, I like FLA because my fave Barkov is the best all-around player in the NHL, big respect for everything about the Canes right down to god-level of fun PR staff.

But go Adin Hill. I LOVE it. Always liked him as a goalie. He was always great against us and other games that I've seen him against Detroit. He's always been a victim of circumstance and I've never really understood it from a distance.

Oettinger Satoshi Nakamoto the bed, but that doesn't take away from a 34 save shutout.

I'll champion his cause for sure. I've just never understood why he's been treated like, "whatever". When I'd seen him in the past I always liked him. Stops what he should, stays calm, moves well, covers the net well...

Yet he was backing up Brossoit? wtf?

Can someone explain this to me? He only gets >20 games when a "real" goalie is injured and constantly bounced to the A when they get a "real" backup like Brossoit?

I was kinda shocked SJ let him go. They acquired him for a 2nd prior to the expansion draft. This is like a bad joke:

https://www.nhl.com/sharks/news/sharks-acquire-a-2024-fourth-round-selection-from-vegas-in-exchange-for-goaltender-adin-hill/c-335415752

There is literally nothing here that defines that he should be an afterthought goalie:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/62230/adin-hill

So you go Adin Hill, I have no idea why this has been your career. Throw a Blockchain into the NHL machine that still isn't embracing the story. You're waaay better than a journeyman goalie.

Be the story.

On 5/24/2023 at 1:13 AM, conundrumed said:

No love for Vegas or Dallas, I like FLA because my fave Barkov is the best all-around player in the NHL, big respect for everything about the Canes right down to god-level of fun PR staff.

But go Adin Hill. I LOVE it. Always liked him as a goalie. He was always great against us and other games that I've seen him against Detroit. He's always been a victim of circumstance and I've never really understood it from a distance.

Oettinger Satoshi Nakamoto the bed, but that doesn't take away from a 34 save shutout.

I'll champion his cause for sure. I've just never understood why he's been treated like, "whatever". When I'd seen him in the past I always liked him. Stops what he should, stays calm, moves well, covers the net well...

Yet he was backing up Brossoit? wtf?

Can someone explain this to me? He only gets >20 games when a "real" goalie is injured and constantly bounced to the A when they get a "real" backup like Brossoit?

I was kinda shocked SJ let him go. They acquired him for a 2nd prior to the expansion draft. This is like a bad joke:

https://www.nhl.com/sharks/news/sharks-acquire-a-2024-fourth-round-selection-from-vegas-in-exchange-for-goaltender-adin-hill/c-335415752

There is literally nothing here that defines that he should be an afterthought goalie:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/62230/adin-hill

So you go Adin Hill, I have no idea why this has been your career. Throw a Blockchain into the NHL machine that still isn't embracing the story. You're waaay better than a journeyman goalie.

Be the story.

Hard not to cheer for Florida, for obvious reasons.  Barkov included.

Gotta say though, Bobrovsky's been extra sharp.   As well as their D.

Forwards getting all the headlines, but both teams have good forwards.   

Bobrovsky and D's been the difference maker.

I've always like Bobrovsky but didn't expect him to get hot.   Did he get married and have kids or something?

He's an interesting one, early in his NHL career he was not much for playoffs.  No extra gear.

But when he played for Russia in international hockey...oh man.  Extra gear.

Last few seasons, most notable from 2019 on, that's been changing and he's been looking better in the playoffs.

Maybe Florida is his new Russia, who knows.    Whatever the case, hope he can keep this up for a few more games.

On 5/25/2023 at 9:18 AM, jjgallow said:

Hard not to cheer for Florida, for obvious reasons.  Barkov included.

Gotta say though, Bobrovsky's been extra sharp.   As well as their D.

Forwards getting all the headlines, but both teams have good forwards.   

Bobrovsky and D's been the difference maker.

I've always like Bobrovsky but didn't expect him to get hot.   Did he get married and have kids or something?

He's an interesting one, early in his NHL career he was not much for playoffs.  No extra gear.

But when he played for Russia in international hockey...oh man.  Extra gear.

Last few seasons, most notable from 2019 on, that's been changing and he's been looking better in the playoffs.

Maybe Florida is his new Russia, who knows.    Whatever the case, hope he can keep this up for a few more games.

I loved Benny's play on that goal and think it is a big reason Matty scored it. Benny tied the D up in front, a lot of what we don't see in Calgary, is net front presence and play like that. It's like an assist that doesn't get credit or many comments. 

great goal still!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I loved Benny's play on that goal and think it is a big reason Matty scored it. Benny tied the D up in front, a lot of what we don't see in Calgary, is net front presence and play like that. It's like an assist that doesn't get credit or many comments. 

great goal still!

We had two players that used to do that regularly; Monahan and Tkachuk.

Monahan was a master at the two footers.

Tkachuk was always there to try to tip or annoy the goalie and D.

Who did we have there this year?

Big enough to stay there and get a stick on the puck.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We had two players that used to do that regularly; Monahan and Tkachuk.

Monahan was a master at the two footers.

Tkachuk was always there to try to tip or annoy the goalie and D.

Who did we have there this year?

Big enough to stay there and get a stick on the puck.

I found many years it seemed like that. But then, maybe there was only one guy doing it. Monahan was good at it earlier in his career, but with his injuries slowly got worse and worse. 

Tkachuk was even better when put on the first line.