2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs

conundrumed

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We had two players that used to do that regularly; Monahan and Tkachuk.

Monahan was a master at the two footers.

Tkachuk was always there to try to tip or annoy the goalie and D.

Who did we have there this year?

Big enough to stay there and get a stick on the puck.

The fourth line?

LOL, I have said many times we need a gritty grinder in front of the opposing goalie all the time but for some reason Sutter didn't think that was important.

29 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I found many years it seemed like that. But then, maybe there was only one guy doing it. Monahan was good at it earlier in his career, but with his injuries slowly got worse and worse. 

Tkachuk was even better when put on the first line. 

My mind is getting fuzzy.  I remember Tkachuk battling in front of the net, but I remember him used behind the net on PP's a lot more often.  Maybe that was Muller that suggested it.  I do miss Bennett, Mr. Interference.  How many called back goals did he score here.  Too many.  Tkachuk is better at not being pushed in.  

I see this year as the year of FLA.  They may not win, but this is their year for the finals.  Their best chance at the cup.  Gudas is a big part of their D, and I would prefer him over Tanev.  He's a beast.  And a good defender.  Cap issues likely next year.  I would love to snag Luostarinen from them, but he's not's well paid.  

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

My mind is getting fuzzy.  I remember Tkachuk battling in front of the net, but I remember him used behind the net on PP's a lot more often.  Maybe that was Muller that suggested it.  I do miss Bennett, Mr. Interference.  How many called back goals did he score here.  Too many.  Tkachuk is better at not being pushed in.  

I see this year as the year of FLA.  They may not win, but this is their year for the finals.  Their best chance at the cup.  Gudas is a big part of their D, and I would prefer him over Tanev.  He's a beast.  And a good defender.  Cap issues likely next year.  I would love to snag Luostarinen from them, but he's not's well paid.  

👍🏼👍🏼

I think that it's easy to be over critical. Fans are either over critical or the exact opposite I think. Mind you, some who are in the middle. 

I guess I remember the flow leading into the Devils days and it seems like hockey has changed. While we have the puck a lot, I don't find a lot of the breaking into a zone and making east west moves, at least not as much on the Flames. Only Johnny seemed to be that and it was easy to cut the flames offence by stopping him. 

I like Florida's game. And like the way I followed Gilmour out of Calgary, I am doing that with Bennett on a smaller level. Hoping he keeps having success.

I understand what happened and why in Calgary, I also kept yelling to do it differently. They're my favourite to win it all.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

👍🏼👍🏼

I think that it's easy to be over critical. Fans are either over critical or the exact opposite I think. Mind you, some who are in the middle. 

I guess I remember the flow leading into the Devils days and it seems like hockey has changed. While we have the puck a lot, I don't find a lot of the breaking into a zone and making east west moves, at least not as much on the Flames. Only Johnny seemed to be that and it was easy to cut the flames offence by stopping him. 

I like Florida's game. And like the way I followed Gilmour out of Calgary, I am doing that with Bennett on a smaller level. Hoping he keeps having success.

I understand what happened and why in Calgary, I also kept yelling to do it differently. They're my favourite to win it all.

I get PO'd and excited as a fan.  BT was always doing something in FA.

The Hammy trade.

Everyone wanted him, then after we had him we traded him.

Hamonic was a guy every team wanted.

We got the broken version.

Neal was a big name but we should have seen he was only good as a floater.

Never carried any line and we played him down the lineup.

In on Stone and Eichel, but we never ponied up what it would have taken.

Don't always get a money back guarantee.

Sometimes sales are final.

A top 6 with Eichel, Stone, Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Lindholm.

Would it have cost as much as Toffoli, Jarnkrok and ditching Monahan?

The high possession hockey is a good strategy, but you need to do something with it.

High shot volume doesn't make any sense unless high danger.

Think about 3v3 OT.  You don't just fire it at the net or dump it.

Backlund would from time to time, hated it.

You get the best look and find the hole.

When there is a ton of shots in OT, it's pond hockey.

11 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I get PO'd and excited as a fan.  BT was always doing something in FA.

The Hammy trade.

Everyone wanted him, then after we had him we traded him.

Hamonic was a guy every team wanted.

We got the broken version.

Neal was a big name but we should have seen he was only good as a floater.

Never carried any line and we played him down the lineup.

In on Stone and Eichel, but we never ponied up what it would have taken.

Don't always get a money back guarantee.

Sometimes sales are final.

A top 6 with Eichel, Stone, Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Lindholm.

Would it have cost as much as Toffoli, Jarnkrok and ditching Monahan?

The high possession hockey is a good strategy, but you need to do something with it.

High shot volume doesn't make any sense unless high danger.

Think about 3v3 OT.  You don't just fire it at the net or dump it.

Backlund would from time to time, hated it.

You get the best look and find the hole.

When there is a ton of shots in OT, it's pond hockey.

Agree with a lot of thus, don't agree with all the veteran acquisitions.  In almost all cases those veterans were either over-rated or high risk.    Stay.  Away.

Draft, develop, keep it simple.

I'm not Always against veteran acquisitions.   Look at Florida.

But that's a case of buy low sell high.  They took advantage of undervalued assets, and let's be honest,  a weak GM.

But that's not our path.   When you have Florida's weather.,  you can take those expiring contracts and renew them at a reasonable rate.   We can't.   That's not our gig.   Our gig is Draft, develop, and don't lose assets foe nothing.   We have to be smarter and there's no reason we can't be.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Agree with a lot of thus, don't agree with all the veteran acquisitions.  In almost all cases those veterans were either over-rated or high risk.    Stay.  Away.

But that's a case of buy low sell high.  They took advantage of undervalued assets, and let's be honest,  a weak GM.

But that's not our path.   When you have Florida's weather.,  you can take those expiring contracts and renew them at a reasonable rate.   We can't.   That's not our gig.   Our gig is Draft, develop, and don't lose assets foe nothing.   We have to be smarter and there's no reason we can't be.

I'm not saying the players we went after were the best ideas.  Tanev was a good idea because we needed a defensive D-man.  Neal was a mistake but we didn't even use him the best way for that type of player.  Coleman should be more impactful, and I actually think Hyman is a much better deal for more money.  

You have to pick the right players that are UFA's.  The big names aren't always the best ones for the Flames.  

I don't really agree with the sentiment that we can't retain expiring assets.  Not everyone wants to play in FLA.  It maybe a good place for some, but some need the hockey culture.  Some love the limelight.  If you are not close to being a contender, it doesn't matter how good the weather or culture is though.  Lindholm is not going to move unless we don't build right.

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't really agree with the sentiment that we can't retain expiring assets.  Not everyone wants to play in FLA.  It maybe a good place for some, but some need the hockey culture.  Some love the limelight.  If you are not close to being a contender, it doesn't matter how good the weather or culture is though.  Lindholm is not going to move unless we don't build right.

Yeah admittedly I don't get it myself entirely,  school shootings are not really a big selling point for me

8 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I want to be Carolina, and looking like Detroit and Tampa. If we feel we have the base, keep drafting as best as we can & fill the holes internally. Don't overpay for them. Find the right mix in the top6.

I like the Duehr signing. find players like that for the bottom 6. Something I heard was some radio hit or article talked about having the perfect guy in Lomberg and developing him in our system and just letting him go. Spending time and assets trying to find that fit and not recognizing it within our own system is a huge fail. 

I see Benny similarly. 

good on them! Also, this is the Tkachuk I wanted to see and one he showed glimpses of. Maybe he felt disheartened in Calgary, or getting that 100 with Johnny made him realize HE IS that player. I was wrong on him, mostly because he didn't put it all together with the Flames, which I think was a consistent effort. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tkachuk concussed again?  This was one reason I felt we should think twice before signing him to big money long term.  He's already had two major concussions in the past and the way he plays, he gives and he takes. He almost killed Eichel a couple games back and now he almost gets killed in return.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Tkachuk concussed again?  This was one reason I felt we should think twice before signing him to big money long term.  He's already had two major concussions in the past and the way he plays, he gives and he takes. He almost killed Eichel a couple games back and now he almost gets killed in return.

yup.

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

yup.

What’s interesting here is that Florida did not respond immediately to the TKachuk hit. Vegas responded right away to the Eichel hit and waited for an opportunity to give it back. Series over now? Vegas in 5 games me thinks. I know it’s not over til it’s over, however…

15 hours ago, sagacity7 said:

What’s interesting here is that Florida did not respond immediately to the TKachuk hit. Vegas responded right away to the Eichel hit and waited for an opportunity to give it back. Series over now? Vegas in 5 games me thinks. I know it’s not over til it’s over, however…

It is interesting yes.   Was thinking the same thing. 

Vegas won that game with goaltending but Tkachuk aire helped out with his lack of discipline and penalties. 

Not quite the "face of the NHL"

Wish we got a better return but don't miss him

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Why do the refs always grab Tkachuk before he has to fight someone?

And what the hell was he trying to do to Pietrangelo at the the end?

These guys don't have sticks...

It's a weird sequence.  Pietrangelo in the box with 17 seconds left.  Game over when time ran out.  He comes on the ice and gets in a fight.  So technically, he was not allowed in fight with enayone.  Tkachuk being the idiot he shows at times and fighting with no time left.  "Fighting" as in wrestling with someone, since I can't remember the last time he's chucked knuckles.  

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

It's a weird sequence.  Pietrangelo in the box with 17 seconds left.  Game over when time ran out.  He comes on the ice and gets in a fight.  So technically, he was not allowed in fight with enayone.  Tkachuk being the idiot he shows at times and fighting with no time left.  "Fighting" as in wrestling with someone, since I can't remember the last time he's chucked knuckles.  

You mean wrapping his stick around Pietrangelo's neck from behind like he's trying to pull his head off is fighting? Then he's still slashing at him as he hides behind the ref. The game was over so Pietrangelo's out of the box to celebrate. But Florida is being Florida Man.

Tkachuk is Florida Man and I'm really happy his act is gone. He's always been a daddy's privilege boy piece of trash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

You mean wrapping his stick around Pietrangelo's neck from behind like he's trying to pull his head off is fighting? Then he's still slashing at him as he hides behind the ref. The game was over so Pietrangelo's out of the box to celebrate. But Florida is being Florida Man.

Tkachuk is Florida Man and I'm really happy his act is gone. He's always been a daddy's privilege boy piece of trash.

Not paying much attention to the end of the game once they lost.

So, is it the usualy douche-baggery we came to expect of him?

More than likely.

Am I glad he's gone?

Secretly yes.

I'm not upset about getting two of FLA's best players for him.

His BS about BT not wanting to sign him long term.

Yeah, okay that why you set up the QO of $9M to make it impossible to deal with.

Especially since you are going to ask to be traded, yeah we all know that was his plan.

8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

It seems Pietrangelo came out of the box and tried to stop the fights, not join in.  He ended up getting mugged and slashed and he never retaliated.  For that, I think the NHL will look at it but not punish him.

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

It seems Pietrangelo came out of the box and tried to stop the fights, not join in.  He ended up getting mugged and slashed and he never retaliated.  For that, I think the NHL will look at it but not punish him.

I don't understand what there would be to look at. Do you have to stay in the box and serve the full penalty when the game is over? There was a bit of a delay before the Panthers started acting like they can beat anyone up. If anything, Tkachuk deserves a suspension. That was surreal stupidity. What was his intent there? I would say, 100% to injure.

But he scores big goals, and in hockey culture, we can overlook the trash. Tkachuk, Domi, Lemieux,,,the commonality is startling.

Of course headlines are laughable and completely say nothing about what Tkachuk's doing:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/will-nhl-punish-knights-pietrangelo-for-leaving-penalty-box-for-game-ending-scrum/

33 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I don't understand what there would be to look at. Do you have to stay in the box and serve the full penalty when the game is over? There was a bit of a delay before the Panthers started acting like they can beat anyone up. If anything, Tkachuk deserves a suspension. That was surreal stupidity. What was his intent there? I would say, 100% to injure.

But he scores big goals, and in hockey culture, we can overlook the trash. Tkachuk, Domi, Lemieux,,,the commonality is startling.

Of course headlines are laughable and completely say nothing about what Tkachuk's doing:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/will-nhl-punish-knights-pietrangelo-for-leaving-penalty-box-for-game-ending-scrum/

SN picks their heroes during the playoffs and cuts them slack for the rest of the series.  Tkachuk was the poster boy for scoring big goals, even if he wasn't the only reason FLA won.  So, they look at a sequence and think that technically Pietrangelo was going onto the ice serface to join the scrum.  Same concept as a guy on the bench going onto the ice after the game and getting in a scrum.  No reason for him to stay in the box so it's different.  Even up mentality since there were only 4 VGK skaters to 6 FLA ones.  I don't have a problem with what he did, since the potential for two guys punching one guy was there.  

But SN is exactly at fault because they do the same thing in any series.  Pick the White Knight.  AP was a villian against Draisaitl, who SN proclaimed to be the Byng player he isn't.  He's a douchebag like McD is in games.  AP got carried away and regretted it, but SN branded him.  Because he did something bad to their hero.  

SN barnded Tkachuk a unicorn becuase of his blend of skill and grit.  He has those things plus he is a selfish baby.  Bennett has to answer the call for Tkachuk.  Some things never change. 

ANyway, this is almost over.  With any luck Vegas wins and we get past this crap.  I hate Vegas, but Tkachuk being in FLA kinda ruined it for me.  His MO is drag people down to his game so that they don't use skill to win.  I put up with it as a Flame but also regretted his play in the playoffs.  Had we made it past the 2nd or 3rd round last year, we would be seeing him drag the team down the rabbit hole.  

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

There is the letter of the law.  Can't come out of the box and get involved.

But there is also the spirit of the law.  That is, to prevent madmen from leaving the penalty box to hurt someone at the end of a game.

Like you said, the game was over for 3 seconds before everything started.  Most likely, the official in the penalty box opened the door for Pietrangelo to leave the box.  So it's not like Pietrangelo body checked the penalty box official and then pried the door open to escape just to jump into the scrum to get a piece of someone.  He was let out of the box cordially as it should be because the game was over. Plus, they won the game.  It looked like he went in to break things up so they can celebrate.  He wasn't in that mood to get revenge or take anger out on anyone.

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

100% he deserves a supension and I wouldn't argue with taking it further.  Intent to injure possibly should not even fall under NHL jurisdiction.  Just saying.

NHL is still in the Jurassic period with this stuff.

If it's any consolation, Tkachuk will have a short career and we will not miss him.  

(I do wish we'd been a bit smarter with the trade though)

31 minutes ago, medatswhoP said:

Well gotta say this is the most boring Stanley Cup final that I can remember, maybe its because I despise Vegas as much as the greasers.

Vegas to me just doesn't deserve the Lord Stanley.

I would argue that they deserve it more than Florida and a lot of other teams, and actually we could learn a lot from boring.

I tried to cheer for Florida but I just really, really don't like Tkachuk, can't do it. 

Boring is having goaltending depth, and defence.    They were that.  They aren't he first team to win a cup that way.