2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs

conundrumed

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The weirdest situation is the one going on with AVS player Nichuskin.

I don't even begin to get what happened there.

A woman in his room so intoxicated, the team doc called 911 and she was transported to hospital.

Supposedly she struck the team doc.

Nichushkin left the city after it happened.

This was last Saturday.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/report-avs-nichushkin-involved-in-police-incident-in-seattle/

Oof wild.  If this makes Nichuskin available, then the Flames should try to bring him here and re-unite him with Kadri.

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Oof wild.  If this makes Nichuskin available, then the Flames should try to bring him here and re-unite him with Kadri.

Best take I have heard.

The "problem" is that the Flames have a moral superiority over teams that take on problem childs.  

I agree in some cases that some players should be viewed as bad risks.

But there are others that have shown that there may have been a poor jusgement and have learned.

COL took a chance on Nichushkin after being bought out.

I thought we missed out.

Maybe not the same issue as DeAngelo type situation, but it seemed many teams avoided him.

And yes, I would consider making a play for him.

Assuming it wasn't some really bad situation (toxic thing).

Vegas would regardless, and would likely trade one of their long term guys to make it work.

Edmonton has had the two biggest goaltending gaffes in the past two playoffs.

To their credit, they won both games with the GWG shortly after.

LA lost the series in game 4. Was a massive missed opportunity. When you’re not as good as your opponent and have a chance to go up 3-1, you have to take advantage.

Korpisalo got beat from distance too frequently

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Edmonton has had the two biggest goaltending gaffes in the past two playoffs.

To their credit, they won both games with the GWG shortly after.

LA lost the series in game 4. Was a massive missed opportunity. When you’re not as good as your opponent and have a chance to go up 3-1, you have to take advantage.

Korpisalo got beat from distance too frequently

Yups good summary.  Nothing much to add other than, I don't know how the Kings even made the playoffs.  The Flames were a much better team and play a much better team game.  Not saying the Flames would've won but the Kings, if they didn't score on the rush then they weren't really going to score.  Kings just rely on their PP.  Even when the Kings were cycling in the Oilers zone with sustained pressure, they were always kept to the outside.

I'm looking forward to VGK vs EDM.

I don't have much confidence in Brossoit but VGK's blueline is many times better than the Kings.  

On 4/27/2023 at 10:08 PM, travel_dude said:

The weirdest situation is the one going on with AVS player Nichuskin.

I don't even begin to get what happened there.

A woman in his room so intoxicated, the team doc called 911 and she was transported to hospital.

Supposedly she struck the team doc.

Nichushkin left the city after it happened.

This was last Saturday.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/report-avs-nichushkin-involved-in-police-incident-in-seattle/

I have some theories.

FLA takes out the Bruins, who would have guessed it, not me by a long shot.

Watched the series, Tkachuk well.. what can we say, but I really am not happy we lost Bennett, he is a work horse out there and it irks me that they couldnt have figured out how to keep the drama out and keep him a flame.

Go leafs...

• Thanks 1

Just goes to show how hard it is to win in the playoffs. It's a crapshoot also.

We've seen two historic regular seasons going back to 2019. Both TB and BOS didn't win a round.

This is the best hockey Tkachuk has played. He's their best player and it's not close right now. Looks the part of a franchise player.

Wow

Was not expecting Boston and Colorado to go first round.

I am 1 for 7 if the teams I wanted to win.  With only the Canes going through.  Devils could make it 2 from 8 but then one of them has to go next round so I'll stick with the Canes and like to see them go all the way and get their 2nd Cup.

Panthers v Leafs - Don't want either tean to progress. 

Kraken v Dallas - Go Seattle!!

Oilers v VGK - detest both but there is only one team in Alberta worth cheering and besides an expansion team conference final would be neat.

2 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Wow

Was not expecting Boston and Colorado to go first round.

I am 1 for 7 if the teams I wanted to win.  With only the Canes going through.  Devils could make it 2 from 8 but then one of them has to go next round so I'll stick with the Canes and like to see them go all the way and get their 2nd Cup.

Panthers v Leafs - Don't want either tean to progress. 

Kraken v Dallas - Go Seattle!!

Oilers v VGK - detest both but there is only one team in Alberta worth cheering and besides an expansion team conference final would be neat.

Pretty much on the same page. I'm running out of caring.

That was a lot of people's SCF flushed down the toilet yesterday. Betting sites just cleaned house as usual.lol

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Pretty much on the same page. I'm running out of caring.

That was a lot of people's SCF flushed down the toilet yesterday. Betting sites just cleaned house as usual.lol

May the Bet sites go down in flames due to payouts.

I was hoping for the Cats, just because they were not BOS.

As with the favorites, the analysts just hand the cup to them.

Let the non favorites from this point forward win.

Vegas over EDM, which is a little bit of puking in mouth, but lesser annoyance.

TOR and Cats, can both get knocked out in the same round?

Seattle and Dallas, hm, I have a hard time cheering for Seattle.

Had we made proper trade offers we might have had Bjorkstrand.

And picked up TT on waivers.

CAR and NY/NJ?

Don't really like NY, so NJ is okay to move on.

14 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I thought the Leafs were gonna crush the Cats. According to twitter lol.

FLA beats the best regular season ever in spectacular fashion. Leaf Nation "Leafs in 4"

Chucky and Sammy getting it done......two guys you badly want for a playoff run.  Too bad we have neither a playoff run or the players....

• Angry 1

4 hours ago, Addicted said:

Chucky and Sammy getting it done......two guys you badly want for a playoff run.  Too bad we have neither a playoff run or the players....

Not at you, but about the situation... 

I think that I am cheering for Benny over the Leafs. I don't mind that Tkachuk is on the team. He did the Flames a favour and allowed them to get something for him.  

I kind of wish the Flames held out to pay the newbies, but it is what it is. I was looking forward to this iteration of the Flames, but was quickly disappointed. 

I wish the Panthers well, and sort of don't mind either team coming out of the series. My dad was a Leafs fan, and I was during the Gilmour days for obvious reasons. So if the leafs got out of it, I wouldn't mind so much. I just don't like the Canadian media around the Leafs. I don't mind the fans, every fanbase has its quirks. Ours do too, but hey... Media caters to their fans is my problem with it all.

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Vegas speed gave Edmonton issues in the first.

Goaltending is an issue for Vegas. Brossoit can’t let that bad angle shot in near the end of the first. Needed to be up 2 heading into intermission

The analysts decribed Skinner as built for playoffs.

5 goals against isn't exactly resounding.

EDM had 2 PPG, which is typical.

Hate Vegas, but hate EDM more so.

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Vegas speed gave Edmonton issues in the first.

Goaltending is an issue for Vegas. Brossoit can’t let that bad angle shot in near the end of the first. Needed to be up 2 heading into intermission

53 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The analysts decribed Skinner as built for playoffs.

5 goals against isn't exactly resounding.

EDM had 2 PPG, which is typical.

Hate Vegas, but hate EDM more so.

Two really good teams, both with really bad goaltending.  It's going to be interesting who comes out of this one but of course I hope the Oilers lose. VGK outplaying the Oilers moreso than the Kings ever did.

13 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I think that I am cheering for Benny over the Leafs. I don't mind that Tkachuk is on the team. He did the Flames a favour and allowed them to get something for him.  

I kind of wish the Flames held out to pay the newbies, but it is what it is. I was looking forward to this iteration of the Flames, but was quickly disappointed. 

I wish the Panthers well, and sort of don't mind either team coming out of the series. My dad was a Leafs fan, and I was during the Gilmour days for obvious reasons. So if the leafs got out of it, I wouldn't mind so much. I just don't like the Canadian media around the Leafs. I don't mind the fans, every fanbase has its quirks. Ours do too, but hey... Media caters to their fans is my problem with it all.

I was cheering for the Florida Lomberg's, but now he's hurt.

The problem with the Leafs in is you hear very little about any other series. Then if the Leafs win it's because they're great, lose because they're awful. The competition has very little to do with it. It's altogether painful commentary.

Question, is Holl a horrible dman or have the fans effectively run him out of town? They won't re-sign him, no doubt in my mind. He's ALWAYS the go-to scapegoat. What a toxic fanbase.

15 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I became a Panther fan the minute that Benny was traded there.  Tkachuk is a bonus as is Lomberg.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LouCifer said:

Wow. Bennett and Tkachuk look really good together. Too bad Bennett never got a winger to play with here. He’s been a menace, and him a Chucky on the same line is f’n amazing!

You know, it's funny... there were a lot of people around here saying we should try something like that back when they were Flames. 👀

Love.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LouCifer said:

Wow. Bennett and Tkachuk look really good together. Too bad Bennett never got a winger to play with here. He’s been a menace, and him a Chucky on the same line is f’n amazing!

Playoff Bennett got Lucic and Dube, IIRC.

So far the count is 4th overall (Bennett) gone.

6th overall (Monahan) gone.

Another 6th overall (Tkachuk) gone.

16th overall gone (waived).