2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs

conundrumed

1 hour ago, medatswhoP said:

Yeah but Woodcroft post game said McD was only 3 feet away, once McD says something it must be always true according to Woodcrofts thoughts.

Point is they still scored.. Touching the puck regardless had no effect on the goal scored , the fluttering puck didn't change from what I seen.

Regardless of whether McD was 3 or 20 feet away (he was 20, saw the pic), it doesn't change the fact that players try to influence the call on the icee all the time.  They call icings, penalties and no goals.  I don't have a dog in the fight, even if I dispise the Oilers.  I jest felt there was no proof to call it back.  The homer Debrusk didn't change my opinion of what I saw.

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Not really jobbed when you were going to lose regardless.

Analysts seem to keep acting surprised that Korpisalo is a really good goalie.

I'm sure the Oilers will win 8-2 next game.  It's nice for the King's to have picked up two OT wins though.  This one is going 7.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

I'm sure the Oilers will win 8-2 next game.  It's nice for the King's to have picked up two OT wins though.  This one is going 7.

The Oilers goaltending and defense is already showing strains.

In the first two games the Oilers had 2 goal leads.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The Oilers goaltending and defense is already showing strains.

In the first two games the Oilers had 2 goal leads.

Oilers D is fine.  Limited the King's to 3 chances all game.  Skinner finding ways to lose the game for the Oilers.  Worse than Markstrom.

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Oilers D is fine.  Limited the King's to 3 chances all game.  Skinner finding ways to lose the game for the Oilers.  Worse than Markstrom.

What was Nurse doing during the OT goal?

Why did Bouchard manage to take a penalty to allow the tying goal?

And Deharnais the OT penalty that lost game 1.

I agree that Skinner is bad.

They can't go back to Soup now though.

But with regards to D, the only ones that understand defense is Ekholm and Ceci.

Kulak isn't bad, but he's on what, the 3rd pair with another offensive guy?

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Without their points/gm leader Fiala. No Vilardi game 1, no Lizotte game 3.

Fiala rumoured for game 4, but rumoured every game.

LA takes game 4, and 7 games starts looking unlikely.

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Without their points/gm leader Fiala. No Vilardi game 1, no Lizotte game 3.

Fiala rumoured for game 4, but rumoured every game.

LA takes game 4, and 7 games starts looking unlikely.

I hate making predictions.  LA plays such a good game at limiting the chances.

They haven't even had great offense yet and only lost one game.

They have scored 5v5, but the so-called highest scoring team can't.

The only reason the games have been that close is PP's.

LA has their share of PPG, but EDM has more.

If LA starts taking over games, then the Oilers are sunk.

They don't have anything to counter with and no strong goaltending.

Markstrom level goalie and Vladar level backup.

And their backup is the starter.

LA's powerplay has been much better through three games than it was last year.

The series last year was winnable for LA, but I seem to remember them not capitalizing with the man-advantage.

Having Doughty and Arvidsson this year is huge too. Their goaltending is maybe a slight upgrade this year. Quick had two rough games but really kept them in it the other five. Korpisalo has been really good so far. Loved the little adjustment he made, the two 97 goals in game 2 he was deep. In the 3rd McDavid had another chance, Korpisalo was at the top of the crease and got a shoulder on it.

Tonight was a weird game so far.

Kings taking it to the Oilers and Korpi standing strong.

A PP goal on a hook or whatever you get called on for touching McD.

An even strength goal after the D is trip to set up the play.

A legal hit on Draisaitl called for some weird reason.

Now 3-3 with Campbell sporting a shutout.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Damn, huge missed opportunity for LA to go up 3-1... didn't even manage to get one single scoring chance in OT while the Oilers had 3 to 4 and finally buried one.  

The reffing tide turned and all the media hype about the Oilers getting jobbed got to NHL offficiating.  Just kidding.

The Kings spent the OT fighting off the Oilers and it didn't help them having to kill a penalty.

But Arviddson had a chance to end it in the 3rd and they had a PP to boot.

5-3 would have been much tougher to tie.

Korpi's glove on the GWG reminded me of Markstrom.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Damn, huge missed opportunity for LA to go up 3-1... didn't even manage to get one single scoring chance in OT while the Oilers had 3 to 4 and finally buried one.  

The Oilers are lethal when they get down. No lead is safe. Just the way it is. When they go full-on race hockey, they're very hard to stop.

I wonder if Campbell just won a start?

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

The Oilers are lethal when they get down. No lead is safe. Just the way it is. When they go full-on race hockey, they're very hard to stop.

That was a back and forth game.  Can't say I have seen it before.

1st period Kings all over the Oilers, 3 goals on 11 shots, 1 PP.

2nd period, Oils all over Kings, Oilers get 3 on 20 shots, 2 PP and 2 PPG.

3rd period Kings all over Oilers but manage 1 goal on 17 shots, while Oils get 1 on 7 shots 1 PP for Kings.

OT Oils get a PP and score 5v5 after 6 shots.

Campbell was almost perfect, stopping 27 of 28 shots.

They perhaps should start him next game.

Skinner has been bad.

Nice to see Seattle making some noise. I thought the flak they took in the expansion draft was unjustified.

I could understand why you just pick up bottom 9 guys and worry about talent on larger contracts later. Just build an asset base while still icing a somewhat competitive team.

The plan seems to be working. Not surprising, they're trying to mould after the Canes.

On 4/24/2023 at 3:03 AM, conundrumed said:

meh.   They are lethal when the other team allows them to be and only then imho.

this may sound really stupid but I think they got fired up with that incident with the spitting fan.

It's not often that you're an Oiler, or especially when you're Kane, and you feel some kind of moral superiority.

Yeah I know they are professionals and blah blah blah but I think that incident was super embarassing for the Kings and gave the Oilers a very rare and temporary reason to live.

I expect them to fold going forward.

13 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

meh.   They are lethal when the other team allows them to be and only then imho.

this may sound really stupid but I think they got fired up with that incident with the spitting fan.

It's not often that you're an Oiler, or especially when you're Kane, and you feel some kind of moral superiority.

Yeah I know they are professionals and blah blah blah but I think that incident was super embarassing for the Kings and gave the Oilers a very rare and temporary reason to live.

meh, I get the rivalry, but the sour grapes shouldn't blind the reality.

Don't get me wrong, I'm cheering ABE, but I'm not blind. Credit to Holland with the deadline adds, they were on point. And I despise Holland, even though maybe it was ownership at fault in the D. Terrible desperate contracts.

The fan played goodbye job, christ people are dumb. As soon as the, "and works at" begins, you're out of a job. If their ID doesn't get dragged into it, they don't care. Once any company's name gets dragged in, you are gone. I've seen this in contracts, with zero surprise.

Then how do you put, "Reason for Leaving" on your resume?

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

meh, I get the rivalry, but the sour grapes shouldn't blind the reality.

Don't get me wrong, I'm cheering ABE, but I'm not blind. Credit to Holland with the deadline adds, they were on point. And I despise Holland, even though maybe it was ownership at fault in the D. Terrible desperate contracts.

The fan played goodbye job, christ people are dumb. As soon as the, "and works at" begins, you're out of a job. If their ID doesn't get dragged into it, they don't care. Once any company's name gets dragged in, you are gone. I've seen this in contracts, with zero surprise.

Then how do you put, "Reason for Leaving" on your resume?

this part's easy if you work for the Oilers.

I really believe the Oilers can and will screw this series up.   The adds were good, but they were rentals.

Even if I'm wrong, and we both know that's never happened, we are not watching a cup run here.    I don't give either team a high chance of making it to the finals but if I had to pick one it wold be the Kings.

1 minute ago, jjgallow said:

Yeah I know they are professionals and blah blah blah but I think that incident was super embarassing for he Kings and gave the Oilers a very rare and temporary reason to live.

The Oilers thrive on momentum.  Because they pressure on offense, the other team gets called for penalties.

Once they get a PP, they score a goal.  The 2nd period comeback was score effect.

LA dominates in the 1st and 3rd, the Oilers in the 2nd.

Korpi got scored on two critical shots by Kane and Hyman, which were good but more like the kind Markstrom lets in.

The Oilers and their fans are convinced they are the far superior team.  The fans throw in the towel and plan the parade in the same game.

There are plenty of excuses for fans from both side, and really it's excuses.

Game 4, EDM fans whine about the missed calls and the bad OT decision.

Game 5, LA fans blame the refs for letting a trip on Doubty go that sets up an important EDM goal.  

First answer for the Oilers in any game is McD.  The 2nd is Draisaitl.

Unlike our stars and former stars, they can take over games.

They are also their liability in the defensive zone.

The rest of the team is meh compared to other NHL teams.

I like Ekholm but little else of their depth.

They have slightly better goaltending than we did in the Game 1 win of the Flames vs Oilers.

Skinner was a mess in game 4.  Then again so was the team.

22 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The Oilers thrive on momentum.  Because they pressure on offense, the other team gets called for penalties.

Once they get a PP, they score a goal.  The 2nd period comeback was score effect.

LA dominates in the 1st and 3rd, the Oilers in the 2nd.

Korpi got scored on two critical shots by Kane and Hyman, which were good but more like the kind Markstrom lets in.

The Oilers and their fans are convinced they are the far superior team.  The fans throw in the towel and plan the parade in the same game.

There are plenty of excuses for fans from both side, and really it's excuses.

Game 4, EDM fans whine about the missed calls and the bad OT decision.

Game 5, LA fans blame the refs for letting a trip on Doubty go that sets up an important EDM goal.  

First answer for the Oilers in any game is McD.  The 2nd is Draisaitl.

Unlike our stars and former stars, they can take over games.

They are also their liability in the defensive zone.

The rest of the team is meh compared to other NHL teams.

I like Ekholm but little else of their depth.

They have slightly better goaltending than we did in the Game 1 win of the Flames vs Oilers.

Skinner was a mess in game 4.  Then again so was the team.

True.  Keeping in mind this is against the Kings  (by the way they Are getting better)

all the same, Shut down McDavid, put the puck on net and it's over.  Most nights.   Their goaltending/D is slightly improved but hardly playoff worthy.

Sure you'll get the odd night where Draisaitl shows up.   And you'll get those super rare nights where Kane shows up.  depending on who's spitting on who.

But most nights, you shut down McDavid and it's done.

2 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

True.  Keeping in mind this is against the Kings  (by the way they Are getting better)

all the same, Shut down McDavid, put the puck on net and it's over.  Most nights.   Their goaltending/D is slightly improved but hardly playoff worthy.

Sure you'll get the odd night where Draisaitl shows up.   And you'll get those super rare nights where Kane shows up.  depending on who's spitting on who.

But most nights, you shut down McDavid and it's done.

To be fair, you shut down a top player on any team and the depth has to show up.  Or the other 18 players that hit the ice on a given night.

The Oilers solution is to double up the top 2 players.

They play on the PK to give them extra chances to cheat to offense.

During the regular season, they were an average PK team.  Bottom 10 IIRC.

Take this next piece with a grain of salt.  I have seen it happen before.

Oilers are called more than the other team and McD doesn't draw any calls.

The players talk about it.

McD gets interviewed and suggest that he sees it all.

The media reports on it as a scandal.

Best player in the world and you should be able to let a team get away with stuff.

Next game what happens?

49 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

To be fair, you shut down a top player on any team and the depth has to show up.  Or the other 18 players that hit the ice on a given night.

The Oilers solution is to double up the top 2 players.

They play on the PK to give them extra chances to cheat to offense.

During the regular season, they were an average PK team.  Bottom 10 IIRC.

Take this next piece with a grain of salt.  I have seen it happen before.

Oilers are called more than the other team and McD doesn't draw any calls.

The players talk about it.

McD gets interviewed and suggest that he sees it all.

The media reports on it as a scandal.

Best player in the world and you should be able to let a team get away with stuff.

Next game what happens?

I have seen that too.

But I haven't seen it work for Canadian team.

It feels like the Oilers are going to wrap up the series in 6.  They've played well.  Controlled play 70/30 this series and all the King's can do is "bend but don't break".  The King's really needed the game 4 OT win but couldn't get it done... If it wasn't for the gift of a bad call in game 3, then this series might have already been over in 5.  

Looks like VGK will advance.  They are banged up a bit but they play a better defensive game than the King's.  There's a chance they can stop the Oiler's offense while being able to beat Skinner/Campbell.

10 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It feels like the Oilers are going to wrap up the series in 6.  They've played well.  Controlled play 70/30 this series and all the King's can do is "bend but don't break".  The King's really needed the game 4 OT win but couldn't get it done... If it wasn't for the gift of a bad call in game 3, then this series might have already been over in 5.  

Looks like VGK will advance.  They are banged up a bit but they play a better defensive game than the King's.  There's a chance they can stop the Oiler's offense while being able to beat Skinner/Campbell.

Vegas being able to score at will on Helly should give you a preview of how they will play the Oilers.

Brossoit is okay, at least better than Skinner or Soup.

The only advantage the Oilers would have is the PP.

The Knights play big, while the Oilers pretend to be big.

But, I have to disagree about the Oiler series games.

Game 3 may have been a bad call in some people's opinion, but whatever, nobody saw the stick hit the puck.

Game 4 was equal after 2 in shots.  3rd was mostly LA, but Kane scored on a odd shot.  Looked good but like a Markstrom miss.

OT was all EDM.

I'm not saying that LA wins the series, but it's more like a defensive team playing an offensive team.  Goalie is average, they lose.

Last year the role was reversed.  EDM had its back to the wall and won 2.  

The weirdest situation is the one going on with AVS player Nichuskin.

I don't even begin to get what happened there.

A woman in his room so intoxicated, the team doc called 911 and she was transported to hospital.

Supposedly she struck the team doc.

Nichushkin left the city after it happened.

This was last Saturday.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/report-avs-nichushkin-involved-in-police-incident-in-seattle/