2023 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

4 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

In the spirit of blaming as many people as possible, I'd just like to point out that we can go further than management and players.  lol.

I do often wonder where the union is for stuff like this.   Injuries, pain killers, cte, the draft age....  the union is somewhere between non-existent to inneffective.     But when it comes to $$$, they are on the ball.

Not sure how that gets fixed.  but it's a thing.

Exactly.  

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I watched it with subtitles before I posted the reply to Peeps.  I didn't really need to hear it, but it's good that it was not addiction.

I liked the end when the interviewer implied a woman in his life. Everyone needs that grounding rod.

To quote an old line, "I thought I loved money, but it's women that love money, and I love women".

Not fitting, just a fun line that hits home with me.lol

Sounds like he's come out of the forest and now he knows that mountain is just an everyday climb that doesn't need to be climbed in a day, to use an analogy. The intimidation fades away and there is no longer reasons to let it overwhelm.

Move forward knowing it's just brush on the trail, you can clear it. If a tree has fallen on it occasionally, take your time and use a saw.

He mentioned therapy and CBD as his huge helps. I have no idea how the league feels about CBD or cannabis in general, hopefully they're not stuck in 1952. They're only performance enhancers at eateries and gas station chip aisles. So I've heard(=

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

He mentioned therapy and CBD as his huge helps. I have no idea how the league feels about CBD or cannabis in general, hopefully they're not stuck in 1952. They're only performance enhancers at eateries and gas station chip aisles. So I've heard(=

That made me laugh.  I think they are performance enhancers in the minds of the person using them.  Wow, did I just do that?  Yup, you managed to walk to the store.

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I think he said CBT, which is Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

Love.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

I think he said CBT, which is Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

Love.

Wow. As someone familiar with CBT (it can be extremely difficult to get past the initial stage) all that I can say is that I was too focused on his sweatshirt.lol I'm on a youth MH charity board and fairly active.*yeesh how I let CBT vs CBD sail right over my head. CBT is very difficult, particularly to trauma victims, to get forging ahead. Some just can't. My hat goes off to him.

Thanks for clarifying correctly!

18 hours ago, conundrumed said:

3 Flames make NHL Network's Top 50 Prospects, Wolf 29, Coronato 43 and Pelletier at 48.

It's not all bad news.

It's quite the compliment since the Flames haven't drafted in the top 10 recently.

Would be nice to pull off a Hanifin for Matthew Savoie trade or something like that.

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It's quite the compliment since the Flames haven't drafted in the top 10 recently.

Would be nice to pull off a Hanifin for Matthew Savoie trade or something like that.

in rumours, they said Detroit might have interest. Conundrum has been saying they're deep on D, so I dunno, but maybe a vet would help out the young there.

the thing I like about Hanifin is he is kind of like a robot. You know what you get from him. He makes a few mistakes, but plays the game strategically and is professional in his process. 

I think Minnesota was another team that might have interest, maybe Buffalo?

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

in rumours, they said Detroit might have interest. Conundrum has been saying they're deep on D, so I dunno, but maybe a vet would help out the young there.

the thing I like about Hanifin is he is kind of like a robot. You know what you get from him. He makes a few mistakes, but plays the game strategically and is professional in his process. 

I read a rumor story that appeared to be just a speculation story.  something in the realm of "it might make sense that DET would be in the conversation", or in other words not really based on any sources.  I'm fine with discussing trades, but it has to be more like ones that make sense to both teams, not just they have cap space.

TOR has a need.  BUFF has a need.  Who else really is needing new blood to either be a playoff team or maintain that.  

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Nope. We're a re-signing Seider/Raymond/Jonny Burgers next year away from cap restraints. Hanifin would undoubtedly be a pure rental. There's enough dmen even without Edvinsson and Johansson, who will almost without question move to the big club at some point this year. And we'll see where Wallinder's at, but he may only be a year away at most.

Good problems to have.

On 8/13/2023 at 5:57 PM, conundrumed said:

3 Flames make NHL Network's Top 50 Prospects, Wolf 29, Coronato 43 and Pelletier at 48.

It's not all bad news.

There is a little recency bias in that list.

But with 32 teams in the league, having 3 of the top 50 prospects is like you say, not all bad news.

3 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

There is a little recency bias in that list.

But with 32 teams in the league, having 3 of the top 50 prospects is like you say, not all bad news.

I'd go beyond a little.lol

Even better news is that none of our 3 is due to that. I'm (still) a big Pelletier fan. From pick to prospect to NHLer, he's a really good player. Can't wait to see more. I can see him being a 20g, 60pts "book it" guy as early as this season. He's the epitome of the, "good at everything, not great at any one thing" player. The world needs more of them!

I'd try Pelletier-Kadri-Coronato/Sharangovich personally. Pelletier's a really good puck-mover/distributor. On top of solid all over the ice.

11 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'd go beyond a little.lol

Even better news is that none of our 3 is due to that. I'm (still) a big Pelletier fan. From pick to prospect to NHLer, he's a really good player. Can't wait to see more. I can see him being a 20g, 60pts "book it" guy as early as this season. He's the epitome of the, "good at everything, not great at any one thing" player. The world needs more of them!

I'd try Pelletier-Kadri-Coronato/Sharangovich personally. Pelletier's a really good puck-mover/distributor. On top of solid all over the ice.

We should trade one of Mangiapane or Dube to make room for Pelletier.  They are all mid-6 LWs, not to mention Ruzicka too.  I lean more towards trading Dube.  Mange is our only power forward.

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We should trade one of Mangiapane or Dube to make room for Pelletier.  They are all mid-6 LWs, not to mention Ruzicka too.  I lean more towards trading Dube.  Mange is our only power forward.

🤣

sorry...

I just had to laugh. Just that he plays like one, but is falling a lot to be one. 

he needs Backlund to play like that. Backs is one of the best at leaving the D zone without the puck and is really good at gaining the zone. He's also good at possession in the zone, but Mangiapane is his cleanup guy. I see Mangiapane as good at making things happen for himself but it means the play is probably gonna die. I'll give him credit for his corner play...

im on the femce with Dube. I see glimpses and then nothing. He needs a line that is like water, flow, passes to make room for each other. 

Toffoli and Mangiapane are ones who seem to not make room for other players... just my opinion.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

🤣

sorry...

I just had to laugh. Just that he plays like one, but is falling a lot to be one. 

he needs Backlund to play like that. Backs is one of the best at leaving the D zone without the puck and is really good at gaining the zone. He's also good at possession in the zone, but Mangiapane is his cleanup guy. I see Mangiapane as good at making things happen for himself but it means the play is probably gonna die. I'll give him credit for his corner play...

im on the femce with Dube. I see glimpses and then nothing. He needs a line that is like water, flow, passes to make room for each other. 

Toffoli and Mangiapane are ones who seem to not make room for other players... just my opinion.

It is honestly hilarious in the saddest way because Mangiapane is so small.  Mangiapane is the only forward willing to cut sharply to the front of the net with the puck.  "Stop me if you can" attitude. It's like a dying skill in the NHL.  Wish he was 6'-3" and 210 lbs at least.  And wish our bigger players were more willing to charge the net with the puck.

And so, Dube's skills and talent seem redundant and replaced by Pelletier.  Mainly, the problem with our roster is the log jam at LW with similarly skilled players.  Someone should go.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Ruzicka was better at winning faceoffs than Lewis at C.

I don't know what happened to Mangiapane, but for the money he has regressed.

Dube is at least earning his money and can play 2 other positions.

I just think that they both get pushed around too much.  Heart and soul players that are a bit small.

Mangiapane has more value in a trade, but Dube is better cost controlled.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Ruzicka was better at winning faceoffs than Lewis at C.

I don't know what happened to Mangiapane, but for the money he has regressed.

Dube is at least earning his money and can play 2 other positions.

I just think that they both get pushed around too much.  Heart and soul players that are a bit small.

Mangiapane has more value in a trade, but Dube is better cost controlled.

Mange had a shoulder problem so that held him back a lot.  We will see if he returns with a vengeance or if he returns and plays conservative.  Surgery affects everyone differently.

I think Dube will be easier to trade due to lower cap hot and younger. He's a good player.  It's just, we have redundancy and it would be nice to address other needs using him in a trade.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Mange had a shoulder problem so that held him back a lot.  We will see if he returns with a vengeance or if he returns and plays conservative.  Surgery affects everyone differently.

I think Dube will be easier to trade due to lower cap hot and younger. He's a good player.  It's just, we have redundancy and it would be nice to address other needs using him in a trade.

I'm not sure when the problem came up.  He took almost the exact same number of shots on net as his career year.

On 8/14/2023 at 2:27 PM, robrob74 said:

Aaaaaand,,,,Detroit adds Petry.rofl

Seider-Walman

Gostisbehere-Maatta

Holl-Chiarot

Petry

Edvinsson, Johansson

Hey, don't ask me to understand, I'm just enjoying the adventure.

Petry(50% retained) for Gustav Lindstrom and the worst of Det-Bos 2025 4th rd pick. Lindstrom is a 6-7 at his very best.

Petry is now at $2.344 for 2 years.

Stay tuned for the Red Wings Annual Red Tag Sale. We've got it all folks, it's a warehouse sale, 2 for 1, smoked damaged furniture you can drive it away today. Everything the budget-savvy needs, scoop up the essentials, all work guaranteed. Snag up your favourites we've got your feel good deals they come in all colours and sizes and one size fits all. It's our biggest sale ever the mother of all discount savings watch for our free brochure.

The large print giveth and the small print taketh away.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Aaaaaand,,,,Detroit adds Petry.rofl

Seider-Walman

Gostisbehere-Maatta

Holl-Chiarot

Petry

Edvinsson, Johansson

Hey, don't ask me to understand, I'm just enjoying the adventure.

Petry(50% retained) for Gustav Lindstrom and the worst of Det-Bos 2025 4th rd pick. Lindstrom is a 6-7 at his very best.

Petry is now at $2.344 for 2 years.

Stay tuned for the Red Wings Annual Red Tag Sale. We've got it all folks, it's a warehouse sale, 2 for 1, smoked damaged furniture you can drive it away today. Everything the budget-savvy needs, scoop up the essentials, all work guaranteed. Snag up your favourites we've got your feel good deals they come in all colours and sizes and one size fits all. It's our biggest sale ever the mother of all discount savings watch for our free brochure.

The large print giveth and the small print taketh away.

So that makes Chiarot, Holl and Petry.  Only $10.4 million spent there.

I actually like Petry's game a few years back.  Not so much now.

At least it takes the narrative away on a DET trade for Hanifin.

Unless you would like a nice 34 year old Backlund to play with Perron.