Call Ups

conundrumed

19 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I’m going to assume Phillips draws in tonight against the faster transition team.

Yeah…I’m going to go ahead and assume that…

If not, why call him up at all??

Zohorna is experienced and knows what is expected of him though, right?

It's all about winning now.

A7vAYQF.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

That was for Friday.  What about today?  It’s not like Mangie, Dube and even Coleman are kicking up a storm!  If the thought is to only play Phillips top 6, then put him in!  Heck, try him for the three remaining road games; each game replacing one of the above mentioned.  If nothing else, it gives Phillips some ice time in various line situations, and starts making the three replaced think they have to up their game!!

6 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Not unexpected, but a little annoying that we have a useless 4th line and won't do much with it.

Lewis has a minor injury.

Lucic doesn't care.

Maybe that's why the team played so poorly against CBJ.

Have someone not wanting to be embarrased by Leafs and will gladly sit out.

Make room for the kid.

They could even drop Mange to the 4th line with Zohorna and Ritchie.

You know that Little Z plays well with skilled linemates.

So, for one game:

Hubey-Lindy-Toffee

Dube-Kadri-Philly

Rozie-Backs-Coles

Mange-Zoh-Ritchie/Lewis

5 minutes ago, flames for life said:

That was for Friday.  What about today?  It’s not like Mangie, Dube and even Coleman are kicking up a storm!  If the thought is to only play Phillips top 6, then put him in!  Heck, try him for the three remaining road games; each game replacing one of the above mentioned.  If nothing else, it gives Phillips some ice time in various line situations, and starts making the three replaced think they have to up their game!!

I think that Conum was just posting this because we all thought Phillips was getting in, due to practice lines.

On the broadcast they had heard from Phillips knew he wasn't getting in, was told.

I didn’t get to watch as much of the road trip as I would have liked. Anyone feel like either of the new kids deserve to stick around? Very different question: anyone feel like the team will keep either of the new kids up on the big club longterm?

14 minutes ago, pcs said:

I didn’t get to watch as much of the road trip as I would have liked. Anyone feel like either of the new kids deserve to stick around? Very different question: anyone feel like the team will keep either of the new kids up on the big club longterm?

Yeah, I think they've done okay. I'd keep them up for a little bit longer. I think that Little Z is doing just fine in his role on the 4th line, and I'm hopeful that they give Phillips at least 10 games. He's seen some PP time, and he's played with some skilled players in a sheltered role. Sample size is too small to judge either fairly, in my opinion, but I'm not the coach.

Love.

15 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Yeah, I think they've done okay. I'd keep them up for a little bit longer. I think that Little Z is doing just fine in his role on the 4th line, and I'm hopeful that they give Phillips at least 10 games. He's seen some PP time, and he's played with some skilled players in a sheltered role. Sample size is too small to judge either fairly, in my opinion, but I'm not the coach.

Love.

I agree.  Big Z’s role is pretty established, which means his chance of sticking around will depend on how well he asserts himself by causing disruption and scoring chances.

Phillips chances are harder to assess, because for the most part he is here to score goals.  No goals means not effective.  Even with the PP opportunities he’s had, he looked for open passes instead of shots; although having said that, Calgary has a habit of feeding the lest side on PP’s unless Stone or Kadri are on the ice.  I noticed more the once Phillips call for the puck prepared for a one timer, and was ignored or dismissed by the left side feed.

I do believe once he does pot one he may open floodgates.  He does show bite and confidence.

46 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I guess a home game in front of friends and family is too much at this point.  Also a guy who scored a hat trick against Spencer Martin and had a 2 goal game against Colin Delia a couple weeks ago.  

You see where the frustration comes from? Sometimes it seems like spite with the old codger. 

The Canucks D core is big but they are also slow. The faster Phillips would have been the better call IMO. 

I also agree it would be nice to have a coach that would be willing to see that getting a kid his first game at home in front of friends/family could give him( and the team) a jolt. He'll get one in so not super upset, but something I wish he'd do differently. 

11 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The Canucks D core is big but they are also slow. The faster Phillips would have been the better call IMO. 

I also agree it would be nice to have a coach that would be willing to see that getting a kid his first game at home in front of friends/family could give him( and the team) a jolt. He'll get one in so not super upset, but something I wish he'd do differently. 

TBH, last game Matt struggled  bit.  Zohorna played with a bit more connection.

But, I agree that you want to expose a D with a smaller nimble player.

I find that the big guys are only useful on forecheck.

They have hands of stone in scoring chances.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

You see where the frustration comes from? Sometimes it seems like spite with the old codger. 

Don’t think it has anything to do with spite.  It still comes down to Phillips was brought up to show he can produce at this level.  So far he hasn’t.  I’m not saying he can’t, but he needs to see how much time he actually has to set up.  
If I recall correctly, at the beginning of his career JH was sat out a game or two, with the instructions to watch the flow on the ice; the transitions in speed and where they occurred; and to look for places where his style of play would work best.  After that Johnny took off.  
Maybe the same could be said for MP.  He has the intensity and competitive strength to play, but needs to gain confidence at this level, and know where his style of game would match up best.

Phillips has played two games during this recall. 

Yes, he's a skilled player that needs to produce to stay in the lineup. But, it's only been 2 games. The Flames scored just once on Monday, so it's unfair to pin the lack of production on a player with 3 career games.

He's gonna need some runway to get going as an NHLer. Will the Flames give him enough time though? Probably not.

• 2 weeks later...

The answer is no.  Phillips reassigned to the AHL today.  Merry Christmas.

Yeah, I get the idea of cap savings and it really doesn't matter for the holidays.

But it sends a message.  AHL doesn't get to play here.

We struggles to score and use Lucic in the top 6.

4th line one of the best lines last night.

EDIT - it does save them 3 days of waiver exemption, should they get called up again.

26 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Yeah, I get the idea of cap savings and it really doesn't matter for the holidays.

EDIT - it does save them 3 days of waiver exemption, should they get called up again.

In the meantime, Phillips gets played like a pawn.  He is brought up, played a couple of games, press box for most of the time, compromising his stats at the Ahl level, and possibly affecting any bonus monies he may have been working towards.

All in all, pretty much a waste of his time.  Not very respectful, in my book.

The only gain was to practise with the team.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Remove Lucic from the 4th line = Fine.

Put Lucic on 2nd line = pinned in our dzone.

I wish there was some connection that would help us reach a conclusion. /s

5 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Remove Lucic from the 4th line = Fine.

Put Lucic on 2nd line = pinned in our dzone.

I wish there was some connection that would help us reach a conclusion. /s

Well. they reduced Lucic's ice time and we won.

It looked like a loss the way we had firedrills in our zone.

4th line scored even with Ritchie's ice time being 5 minutes.

2nd PP unit the only one that actually looked good.

Maybe Phillips is the wrong guy to bring in.

But we aren't exactly creating space for anyone else from the AHL.

A RHS RW.  

Moving Hubey to RW with Lucic on the other side isn't exactly a recipe for success.