Call Ups

conundrumed

On 2/1/2023 at 8:08 PM, jjgallow said:

I actually think Sutter would be a great coach on a rebuilding team.

Take the choice away from him.  Everyone's young, everyone's developing.

Watcha gonna do?

I think he'd be great.  But it would be stressful for him lol.     Basically any situation where there is explosive young talent that absolutely cannot be ignored, I think he would actually be good.   It's the guys in that gray area where he is not helpful when he has the choice of vets on any given game.

he got a relatively young flames team to the finals and basically won if the goal counted. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Having not watched the Wranglers...has removing Pelletier dragged Phillips' O-game down? His stat lines look way down.

Maybe slightly but  its more coverage by the opposition more so. Phillips did get 2 assists last night against Bakersfield. If he finds or can create space and time he is really effective. Much like Gaudreau when he becomes the main focus of atttention he becomes less effcetive. One strange thing from the Bakersfield game last night was the Pelltier and Porier were not in the line up. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

This play looks like an NHLer in the AHL.

Duher has been a force since he returned to Wranglers, really engaged and inspired each shift. Like I mentioned in the one reply. That play by Phillips was the only time he was provided space and time out side of the power play when he set up Sutter. The game got heated after that goal as well. Duher got jabbed in the face shield from a player on hte Condor bench, no injury, but Fing greasy Satoshi Nakamoto.  Condors wouldn't line up for the face off after the goal. Even after the game ended Condors never left the ice, it was looking like it could turn into a scene from Slap Shot lol. Sutter actually got between the players and ushered them off the ice, good move to avoid suspensions of some players. 

On a side note Dansk could be out for a long while, Condors player took his legs out while he was looking the other way. Dansk has looked not bad in the few games he has played. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Maybe slightly but  its more coverage by the opposition more so. Phillips did get 2 assists last night against Bakersfield. If he finds or can create space and time he is really effective. Much like Gaudreau when he becomes the main focus of atttention he becomes less effcetive. One strange thing from the Bakersfield game last night was the Pelltier and Porier were not in the line up. 

Do you see NHL potential in Phillips? I can't help but doubt it, If he looks like a threat, he'll draw attention and the NHL is so much higher level of everything from the A. Do you think that he can find space? Gaudreau likely has the best feet in the league as a skater. Is Phillips anywhere close to that? I'd say JG's elite edgework and vision is his staying power for a small player.

What is Phillips' staying power?

22 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Duher has been a force since he returned to Wranglers, really engaged and inspired each shift. Like I mentioned in the one reply. That play by Phillips was the only time he was provided space and time out side of the power play when he set up Sutter. The game got heated after that goal as well. Duher got jabbed in the face shield from a player on hte Condor bench, no injury, but Fing greasy Satoshi Nakamoto.  Condors wouldn't line up for the face off after the goal. Even after the game ended Condors never left the ice, it was looking like it could turn into a scene from Slap Shot lol. Sutter actually got between the players and ushered them off the ice, good move to avoid suspensions of some players. 

On a side note Dansk could be out for a long while, Condors player took his legs out while he was looking the other way. Dansk has looked not bad in the few games he has played. 

I doubt Duehr stays in the A much longer. I highly doubt Pelletier is going back, it was a paper move. He won't play because it's injury risk imo. He looks great with the Flames, pretty sure he's up to stay.

Zary interests me now. If it were up to you, would you call him up now or let him ferment? I always worry about injury risk with young players moving up. Try too hard leading to injury and major setback. I think that's a thing.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Do you see NHL potential in Phillips? I can't help but doubt it, If he looks like a threat, he'll draw attention and the NHL is so much higher level of everything from the A. Do you think that he can find space? Gaudreau likely has the best feet in the league as a skater. Is Phillips anywhere close to that? I'd say JG's elite edgework and vision is his staying power for a small player.

What is Phillips' staying power?

Its a tough call for Phillips. Take the highlight from Duhers goal last night, Duher pulls two defenders with him which opens up Phillips and than the D  panic engaged Phillips and leave Duher open, thats the respect he gets. Unlike JG he doesn't create time and space for him self with  edge work or stickhandling ability. Unfortunaltly our line up doesn't have the elite talent that will open up or draw coverage away to open him up . Possibly EDM, NJ, COL, Tampa, Carolina, teams that have players that can draw coverage. Put with guys like that, F**K  he would be very good. Really we can all Satoshi Nakamoto on Sutter all we want, but remeber he was on waivers and no other team claimed him. The biggest knock is sadly his size.