Call Ups

conundrumed

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Was surprised by the recall.Good on the Flames. It's been a long time coming. Didn't think they actually would.

Maybe Phillips is nothing at the NHL, I've always hated the assumption though. Give him a shot and then the organization doesn't have to wonder. I don't buy in to the 4th line needs to be strictly crash and bang. It needs to be reliable and provide energy. Don't need to be big to do that. I think Phillips can play well on a line with Lewis and Zohorna.

I wonder about Lucic. I don't think there's much left in the tank. It's rare a player retires midseason, but I could see him preferring that over being a scratch.

Lucic could easily decide mid season.

He was leabong that way before Peters was let go.

47 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Lucic could easily decide mid season.

He was leabong that way before Peters was let go.

that's true. If hockey becomes unsatisfying the way it was that year with Peters, then it is a possibility. I think he needs a real discussion with Sutter and like you've all been kind of saying, maybe he needs to be used in a different way, limiting games and can that make him more affective in the playoffs? Or in games that we need him to play a certain way. 

4 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Was surprised by the recall.Good on the Flames. It's been a long time coming. Didn't think they actually would.

Maybe Phillips is nothing at the NHL, I've always hated the assumption though. Give him a shot and then the organization doesn't have to wonder. I don't buy in to the 4th line needs to be strictly crash and bang. It needs to be reliable and provide energy. Don't need to be big to do that. I think Phillips can play well on a line with Lewis and Zohorna.

I wonder about Lucic. I don't think there's much left in the tank. It's rare a player retires midseason, but I could see him preferring that over being a scratch.

I agree... weren't they saying the Flames protected Phillips instead of Giordano at the expansion draft?  I can't remember... but ya.  If so, then let's play Phillips so we can stop wondering.  And most importantly, play him in a place where he can succeed.  RW on the top 6 would be great.

Zohorna... better not take Ruzicka off the line-up.  Sutter hates Ruzicka so much so you never know.  Lucic better be the one to sit.  Or Lewis.

28 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I agree... weren't they saying the Flames protected Phillips instead of Giordano at the expansion draft?  I can't remember... but ya.  If so, then let's play Phillips so we can stop wondering.  And most importantly, play him in a place where he can succeed.  RW on the top 6 would be great.

Zohorna... better not take Ruzicka off the line-up.  Sutter hates Ruzicka so much so you never know.  Lucic better be the one to sit.  Or Lewis.

I don't get why, but ya, Sutter seems displeased with him all the time.

he has 15 points in 16 games. I doubt he keeps up the pace but if he were to, he'd be on pace for 67.5 points. 

he's already ahead of Backlund, Mangiapane and Dube. Not by much, but also in about 10 less games.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Phillips wasn;t protected, but also wasn't eligible to be exposed IIRC.

Both Kyl and Gio were exposed.

Dube protected.

26 minutes ago, cross16 said:

What’s the rationale for Sutter disliking ruzicka?

he has his playing the 2nd PP unit,with key players and has praised him multiple times. Don’t get where that narrative comes from. 

I think if Anything Sutter sees the potential of Ruzicka.

Isn't going to play him any way that he will lose momentum or interest.

Initially, it may have come off as not liking him, since we was not played first bunch of games.

Got in beciase of an injury.

Sutter isn't dumb.

A player close to a p/gp, doing the things the coach wanted him to fo.

In fact Backlund was taken off the PP and Ruzie kept on it.

7 hours ago, cross16 said:

What’s the rationale for Sutter disliking ruzicka?

he has his playing the 2nd PP unit,with key players and has praised him multiple times. Don’t get where that narrative comes from. 

Fan impatience.lol

Rosey’s never had a problem putting up points. He’s ALWAYS had a problem figuring out the rest.

Watching him in jr was equal cheer and facepalm. He would be standing right beside the LDman in the O zone at times, completely uncertain between O and D responsibility. It’s been a long road for him transitioning from European ice. When people think it’s easy, there are lots of players that failed. He was borderline, literally took years.

Could always put up points is all that saved him because the rest was yikes.

I cheer him hard because he looked lost cause for quite a while.

I can get with how Sutter has coached him. There’s a ton of wrinkles there that the points hide.

Sutter’s offering him a long career.

Signing a 2yr tells me Rosey wants to be coached this way and likely knows it is out of necessity.

Like with the Sting, the points blind everyone. Beneath that, he was utterly and frustratingly unreliable.

Great to see that he knows that.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Fan impatience.lol

Rosey’s never had a problem putting up points. He’s ALWAYS had a problem figuring out the rest.

Watching him in jr was equal cheer and facepalm. He would be standing right beside the LDman in the O zone at times, completely uncertain between O and D responsibility. It’s been a long road for him transitioning from European ice. When people think it’s easy, there are lots of players that failed. He was borderline, literally took years.

Could always put up points is all that saved him because the rest was yikes.

I cheer him hard because he looked lost cause for quite a while.

I can get with how Sutter has coached him. There’s a ton of wrinkles there that the points hide.

Sutter’s offering him a long career.

Signing a 2yr tells me Rosey wants to be coached this way and likely knows it is out of necessity.

Like with the Sting, the points blind everyone. Beneath that, he was utterly and frustratingly unreliable.

Great to see that he knows that.

Agreed. I've had some complaints about Sutter this year but I thin he's got Ruzicka in the right spot right now. His ice time at both 5 on 5 and all strengths over the last 15 games is 9th for forwards but he's basically getting the same ice time as Dube/Toffoli. Heck he's only 40 seconds behind Lindholm at 5 on 5. 

And he's got him with the right players IMO. Ruzicka's game is about peaks and valleys. When he's good he's excellent but he's still got a lot of valley's to his game, be it effort, decision making, or play in his own end. Makes perfect sense to me to pair him with the 2 safest players on the entire roster. Allows him to play to his peaks without having the valley's hurt the team. 

I honestly am not sure what more you can want for Ruzicka.

53 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Fans won’t like this, but this is where he has to start. Low mins, get a feel.

Agreed and just to add your top 9 is playing well right now, why change it?

It's the 4th line that is hurting them so improving that should be the priority. It makes sense for multiple reasons. 

Well Phillips makes the roster. I think Sutter is cheering the kid has succuss but also worried he may get injuried. I am fine his in the line up but what Fing baffles me is why is Lucic!!! Lewis Ritchie I get, Lewis Ritchie Zoharna with Phillips I get, but throwing him our there with Lucic is just death by paper cuts. If Phillips makes it he is going to have to show he can survive himself. Lucic is not an intimidaton factor or an asset, its a benfit to the opposition when he does play. 

As for Ruzicka like what I have seen with him this year, the winning goal was 100% a benefit from his forecheck, this would be what Sutter wnats to see. I coached and taught a couple of Juniors that could have gone long way in golf. THey had the skills, and ability to play at top level, however each wanted a simplier easier route to the top. At any high level sport there are no short cuts. Much like Anderson when Tre called him out years ago about not taking his carrer and physical fitness seriously. Once you change everything changes for you. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

What was rumored tomorrow is official. Rooney clears and Zohorna up. 

Mr Lucic better smarten up.

He's on the verge of a scratch.

With Little Z, there is some chemistry with Phillips.

Tonight may go a long way to decide Lucic's future.

I get the recalll, even if I don't particularly like it.

Get another fresh body as an extra for the roadie.

Zohorna is willing to drop the gloves.

Lucic hasn't yet this season.

As long as Phillips stays in for more than one game and Zohorna doesn't replace him.

You might even consider Lewis-Zohorna-Phillips or Lucic-Z-Phillips.

Might just be reading too much into the recall.

I don't think Sutter is that pleased with the 4th line right now.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Mr Lucic better smarten up.

He's on the verge of a scratch.

With Little Z, there is some chemistry with Phillips.

Tonight may go a long way to decide Lucic's future.

I get the recalll, even if I don't particularly like it.

Get another fresh body as an extra for the roadie.

Zohorna is willing to drop the gloves.

Lucic hasn't yet this season.

As long as Phillips stays in for more than one game and Zohorna doesn't replace him.

You might even consider Lewis-Zohorna-Phillips or Lucic-Z-Phillips.

Might just be reading too much into the recall.

I don't think Sutter is that pleased with the 4th line right now.

Nor should he be. As each line has trended upwards with chemistry and better play the 4th line has been the boat anchor. IMHO if Sutter ever scratches Lucic,  than and only than are we trending in the right direction with the 4th line. We can all see he has lost it, it has to be something inside the room as its a huge white elephant on the ice. 

9 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Nor should he be. As each line has trended upwards with chemistry and better play the 4th line has been the boat anchor. IMHO if Sutter ever scratches Lucic,  than and only than are we trending in the right direction with the 4th line. We can all see he has lost it, it has to be something inside the room as its a huge white elephant on the ice. 

It's hard to admit to yourself that the game has passed you by.

Lucic still has a voice, but hard to take it seriously when you are the cause of poor play by a line.

Not him only, but they just aren't the same line as last year.

They were exposed in the playoffs and cost us maybe one or two games.

One game for sure, where it was tied.

But anyway, this is about callups getting a chance to show they are NHL players.

4th line isn't ideal, but the other lines are clicking.

12 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

He's not in for sure, Zahorna is in, Phillips out. I never once believed he'd be in. Sutter doesn't trust him as a small guy.

Sutter only wants a big lug 4th line.

I understand that you want to play a skill guy in a skill position, but this is just dumb.

4th on the deserved call up list (maybe even lower), but his lack of skill matches Lucic.

Can't have an AHL guy embarras your fave player.  

On 12/6/2022 at 5:30 PM, cross16 said:

I'd literally lose it if the Flames called up Zohorna before Pelletier, Zary or Phillips. Be a massive slap in the face to those guys, and honestly all prospects down there. 

I've only watched him a handful of times but I don't see an NHLer in Zohorna. 

I haven't seen you lose it in years, this could be good for you.  Not since you pretended to block me lol (forums don't work that way as you know, and you indirectly reply to about 1/3 of my posts).

For what it's worth I agree with you, it is sending a strong message to these guys (including Phillips who was sat out) that they are literally in the wrong organisation for their stage in development.