Call Ups

conundrumed

13 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Nice to see the kid get rewarded, at least this confirms that Tre acknowledges the hard work and success. I would LOVE to see him get in over Lucic LOVE it. However, Phillips is not a 4th line guy, 3rd line maybe, 2nd line possibly. The 1st line appears to be working the 2nd line is rolling and 3rd line is solid. Unless you remove Coleman down to the 4th line and play Phillips with Rozie and Backs, he will just be a cheerleader for the road trip. Me thinks this is just a pat on the back more so than an oppurtunity. If Sutter ever sits Lucic, it will have a MASSIVE negative impact on the player and the locker room. For Lucic its personal pride but that is fading very fast this season, love the guy was a great player but its time to leave with some dignity, a healthy scratch will be a huge blow to his ego. 

Agreed on the impact to Lucic.

You could see how pissed he was last night after the game, didn't even give the goalie any love.

While it makes sense to play Phillips with Rozie, I wonder about that line.

They are the most stable line we have.

Very little gets away from them and they drive the play in the transition and O-zone.

Coleman finally scoring more frequently.

If you move him down, the player that has to come out is Lucic.

The same could be said about Kadri's line about finally figuring it out.

But, I would suggest that Phillips could fit there and provide that RHS.

Small wingers though.

Dube could easily take C on the 4th line, but not thinking that is really a fair shake.

I wonder about the locker room impact though.

Lucic playing 5 minutes is gonna impact what he says and what value his voice is.

If you are blowing every play on the ice, how is your input going to have any impact?

He not willing to fight now and his big hits are showing up less and less.

What I find interesting about this is the top 9 is finally settling into place. I still don't love the top line but they are playing pretty solid, Ruzicka/Backs/Coleman is playing excellent and while the Kadri line is a bit up and down their high end is really good. So unless there is an injury we haven't heard about I don't see why the top 9 would get touched.  Steinberg hinting that perhaps Lewis is playing through something. 

Possibility that Dube gets bumped down to 4th line center but that does feel like a bit of a slap in the face given how well he's played. 

Where I disagree is this idea that Phillips can't/shouldn't play 4th line, I think he can for sure. I think the idea of the 4th line just being a crash and bang line should be re thought. I think the biggest thing you want from a 4th line is energy. Aside from the fact that the Flames are not getting that from their 4th line right now, I think you can also get that in multiple forms. Physical play is one way but I think speed, tenacity and skill are other ways to get energy as well. I have no problem playing Phillips on the 4th line. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Nice to see the kid get rewarded, at least this confirms that Tre acknowledges the hard work and success. I would LOVE to see him get in over Lucic LOVE it. However, Phillips is not a 4th line guy, 3rd line maybe, 2nd line possibly. The 1st line appears to be working the 2nd line is rolling and 3rd line is solid. Unless you remove Coleman down to the 4th line and play Phillips with Rozie and Backs, he will just be a cheerleader for the road trip. Me thinks this is just a pat on the back more so than an oppurtunity. If Sutter ever sits Lucic, it will have a MASSIVE negative impact on the player and the locker room. For Lucic its personal pride but that is fading very fast this season, love the guy was a great player but its time to leave with some dignity, a healthy scratch will be a huge blow to his ego. 

kind of like a Christmas bonus for all of the hard work. Probably gets a bit of extra on the contract. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

This is not the same Lucic that was 2-3 years into a 6-year deal, this is a Lucic that is visiting barns around the league for the last time. I don’t think BT and DS make decisions based on player feeling, see Markstrom. If they think another player(s) gives them a better chance to win, I believe they will play that player instead.

At least Phillips got the call up first but i'm not a fan of Zohorna coming up over Zary. With waiving Rooney I do think you need a center, I just don't get why you wouldn't want your first round pick. 

Too bad for Pelletier but positional need dictated that. 

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Sounds like Zohorna wasn't at Wranglers practice today, so he might be the other call up. I guess if you bring up Phillips you bring up Zohorna to balance out the size lol. He has been Phillips' center with the Wranglers.

I heard about the absence, but I think it would be a mistake at this point.

Sure that open up the possible line of Lucic-Zohorna-Phillips, but really that isn't the answer.

Lewis may not be the same player he was last season, but he's still more than Little Z.

I also think it would negate bringing up Phillips.

Little Z will get picked over Phillips unless Sutter has a change of heart.

If anything, it would make more sense to sit Lucic and have Pelletier-Lewis-Phillips.

It changes the game strategy, but that line wouldn't bleed so much offence.

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

At least Phillips got the call up first but i'm not a fan of Zohorna coming up over Zary. With waiving Rooney I do think you need a center, I just don't get why you wouldn't want your first round pick. 

Forgot about Zary to be honest.

But positional need is a LW if you are sitting Lucic.

Not a big fan of using a RHS on LW like they have done with Lewis and Ritchie in the past.

I agree that you need to show the guys performing that they deserve a call up.

Zohorna is 4th in scoring, but a lot of that comes from top minutes with the top players.

Quick, somebody tell me how to feel.

As Rsquared said, Christmas bonus?

Can Sutter ease him in or does the size frustrate him fast?

I have to admit the Rosie handling is beginning to look masterful.

Phillips deserved a call-up, now it’s time to worry about him.lol

Zohorna, no thanks.

No way Lewis is coming out. No reason he should. 

• Haha 1

I think an interesting combo for the bottom 6 might be:

Ruzie - Backs - Phillips

Zohorna - Lewis - Coleman

This may seem like a demotion for Coleman. But I think the organization is slowly (really slowly) building an identity, they want young guys when they come in to understand how the game is played, 200 foot game, hard on the puck, work boot mentality. Phillips gets protected by Backs and has familiarity with Rosie who can now attest to the hard work that it takes to stick in the lineup. Coleman and Lewis show Little Z (don’t know if I like that nickname yet, lol) the crash and bang relentless forecheck the coach wants each and every shift. 
Even if it is only a coffee break in the NHL it will be good for them. 
Also I am fine with Zary and Pelltier staying down and percolating. They will be good to go when the time is right. My thought is that they’re being groomed to eventually be the new 3rd line.

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Quick, somebody tell me how to feel.

As Rsquared said, Christmas bonus?

Can Sutter ease him in or does the size frustrate him fast?

I have to admit the Rosie handling is beginning to look masterful.

Phillips deserved a call-up, now it’s time to worry about him.lol

Zohorna, no thanks.

No way Lewis is coming out. No reason he should. 

Lewis stays in if he is healthy and they need a RW/C.

If you play Phillips on the 4th line, Lewis is essential.

Sure, you can demote Dube to play C, but Sutter thinks the line is playing well now.

In a Sutter world, you are almost certain to start on the 4th line as a callup.

Maybe that work, but maybe it's a big mistake.

Lucic is more of a problem than Ritchie.

About Rosie....

Two things happened.

One, Sutter realized that the only open spots was on the wing.

Rosie embraced the chance and adapted to the position.

He's playing with two guys that know how to defend and are good on transition.

He's good at stripping the puck.

Really heavy shot.

There is too much roster movement here for this to just be about getting him some xmas money IMO. Not to mention you just took your leading scorer off your AHL team, that happens to being red hot.  

He is going to play IMO. This plan doesn't make sense if the goal was just to get him some extra money they could have done that without waiving Rooney. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, cross16 said:

There is too much roster movement here for this to just be about getting him some xmas money IMO. Not to mention you just took your leading scorer off your AHL team, that happens to being red hot.  

He is going to play IMO. This plan doesn't make sense if the goal was just to get him some extra money they could have done that without waiving Rooney. 

Tend to agree.

You waive Rooney if you have intent of calling up another F.

We had a free roster spot and enough cap to just call up Phillips.

I am interested to see what Sutter does.

Top 9 is fine.

Bottom line has issues.

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Just to add there, the Wranglers had to call up Kerins. So your shuffling players through 2 levels now which I don't think yo do for a short term fix or to have a guy eat popcorn at the NHL level. 

There is a long term plan at place here. 

One can hope.

I will say though that Kerins has been up and down, so it's not exactly a shock to see him move up.

I think we are looking at the lineup and discoving some things.

Things that can't be resolved with simply moving players around the lineup.

Finishing is a big issue right now.

4th line not being trusted in a close game.

The only played 3 minutes in the first two periods.

You can't continue that where you play B2B games.

24 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Just to add there, the Wranglers had to call up Kerins. So your shuffling players through 2 levels now which I don't think yo do for a short term fix or to have a guy eat popcorn at the NHL level. 

There is a long term plan at place here. 

Nikolaev was called up to the Wranglers from the ECHL as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tmac70 said:

There in lies the rub.  This can never be considered a reward if he’s brought up to stare at the game from the press box.  The reward is playing.  Too many times last year a player was called up, watched from the side, or played a couple of minutes.

Play Phillips.  Let him make or break his time on the ice.  Either Coleman or Dube, imo, are the logical ones to move down.  Both can be the energy players a fourth line could benefit from. If they played with Lucic or Lewis, they could elevate the speed game but also give the veterans targets for passes, instead of playing around the boards and hoping for the best.

5 minutes ago, flames for life said:

There in lies the rub.  This can never be considered a reward if he’s brought up to stare at the game from the press box.  The reward is playing.  Too many times last year a player was called up, watched from the side, or played a couple of minutes.

Play Phillips.  Let him make or break his time on the ice.  Either Coleman or Dube, imo, are the logical ones to move down.  Both can be the energy players a fourth line could benefit from. If they played with Lucic or Lewis, they could elevate the speed game but also give the veterans targets for passes, instead of playing around the boards and hoping for the best.

If your bringing guys up which currently seems to be tht they are going to play, there is ZERO point in brining him up to saddle him down with Lucic. Lewis Ritchie fine I am ok with that but Lucic is just a boat anchor this year. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

They really just wanted to call up Zohorna but didn't want cross to lose his shifts, so they also called up Phillips for show.

Was surprised by the recall.Good on the Flames. It's been a long time coming. Didn't think they actually would.

Maybe Phillips is nothing at the NHL, I've always hated the assumption though. Give him a shot and then the organization doesn't have to wonder. I don't buy in to the 4th line needs to be strictly crash and bang. It needs to be reliable and provide energy. Don't need to be big to do that. I think Phillips can play well on a line with Lewis and Zohorna.

I wonder about Lucic. I don't think there's much left in the tank. It's rare a player retires midseason, but I could see him preferring that over being a scratch.