22/23 Calgary Wranglers Season Discussion

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

That's great news!! I think he'll be a good player. We tend to get stuck with stat-watching re European players which formulates bias opinions based on stats. I think fans are in for a bit of a shock. He's a very good skater with good hands at 6'3". The SHL is better than the AHL, so an 18-19yo being able to get bottom 6 minutes is a big deal in and of itself. He was too dominant in the U20 league to be there. And the SHL helped him progress on the D side of things which he needed.

This pick was never a write off. Only for people that stat watch. He's going to turn the tables on prospect rankings next year when people actually watch him play consistently rather than a tournament that should more or less be ignored.

This is the same for Ronni. Both players will be on the big team in 2-3yrs max. Don't be surprised to find out that Stromgren is a very good player and adept puck carrier and scorer. He's only 20yo through next season, not like the clock is ticking.

I read the scouting report from 2020, which suggests a strong skater.  Let's see how he works in the AHL game...

Strömgren is a winger with fast and powerful skating. Along with his great puck handling skills he can find creative solutions carrying the puck down the ice maneuvering through the defense. He is more of a shooter rather than a playmaker with a quick and accurate release but he also sees the ice very well to set up his teammates. (Erik Ohlsson, EP 2020) 

If he gets in and has some speed and offensive talents he should fit fine. He could slot in pretty much anywhere and could shield him on a line with Sutter and Rooney for a game or so. The wranglers are in a battle with Coachella for 1st overall in the league and conference, so he may not get in as this is huge for a bye through the 1st round of playoffs

On 3/31/2023 at 3:08 PM, conundrumed said:

Large depth RW

Great to have him in the organization and I hope he sees some NHL time, 

But....

man I feel like I'm going to get in trouble here, but have the Flames ever considered giving an ATO to a player that is....good?

Sorry.   A bit heavy handed and I can already feel the backlash.   He could turn out great.  Nice that he's assistant captain, we need that.   But, are we just on the ATO hunt for the largest RW junior we can find?   Sure feels that way.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/ohl/stats/2022-2023?prospects=u21&sort=g

like he is not even on the list.

Would it kill us to give an Avery Hayes or Nolan Burke an ATO?  We just don't want players scoring a goal per game, not our thing? 

rant over, sorry in advance.

7 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Great to have him in the organization and I hope he sees some NHL time, 

But....

man I feel like I'm going to get in trouble here, but have the Flames ever considered giving an ATO to a player that is....good?

Sorry.   A bit heavy handed and I can already feel the backlash.   He could turn out great.  Nice that he's assistant captain, we need that.   But, are we just on the ATO hunt for the largest RW WHLer we can find?   Sure feels that way.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/ohl/stats/2022-2023?prospects=u21&sort=g

like he is not even on the list.

Would it kill us to give an Avery Hayes or Nolan Burke an ATO?  We just don't want players scoring a goal per game, not our thing?   Or heavens forbid someone outside the WHL?

rant over, sorry in advance.

Perhaps Conumdrumed can provide his scouting analysis of the player, seeing more of the OHL than a lot here.  On the Soo, he was 4th in scoring, and one of two in the top 4 that is unsigned.  A RHS C/RW.  The other is a 5'10" RHS RW.  He's a player that doubled his production from last year.  Trajectory is good so far.  

It comes down to this, the top players get drafted and contracts, not just ATO's.  Are we taking a chance, considering we (should) lose a few players from the Wranglers next year?

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Perhaps Conumdrumed can provide his scouting analysis of the player, seeing more of the OHL than a lot here.  On the Soo, he was 4th in scoring, and one of two in the top 4 that is unsigned.  A RHS C/RW.  The other is a 5'10" RHS RW.  He's a player that doubled his production from last year.  Trajectory is good so far.  

It comes down to this, the top players get drafted and contracts, not just ATO's.  Are we taking a chance, considering we (should) lose a few players from the Wranglers next year?

Thank you for not totally trashing me on that lol.   Conundrumed already kinda said 'large depth rw', which is probably accurate.   I mean you have to be pretty talented even to be a large depth rw in the NHL.   So I'm assuming they saw something in him and felt he could become a large depth rw for the Flames someday.

And there is nothing wrong with any of that.

I just would love to see the Flames do what they need to to potentially get another Giordano or St Louis etc.  It still happens, but it's clear they aren't even attempting to take those kinds of chances.

7 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Thank you for not totally trashing me on that lol.   Conundrumed already kinda said 'large depth rw', which is probably accurate.   I mean you have to be pretty talented even to be a large depth rw in the NHL.   So I'm assuming they saw something in him and felt he could become a large depth rw for the Flames someday.

I just would love to see the Flames do what they need to to potentially get another Giordano or St Louis etc.  It still happens, but it's clear they aren't even attempting to take those kinds of chances.

I think what you find is that there are gems out there, but so few and far between that you miss them.  And the ones like that may not even hit until a special set of circumstances happen.  Jeannot is hardly a success story.  Comes from nowhere and is basically back there.  Just one example.  On the other hand, you probably see Phillips in the NHL next year, lighting it up.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think what you find is that there are gems out there, but so few and far between that you miss them.  And the ones like that may not even hit until a special set of circumstances happen.  Jeannot is hardly a success story.  Comes from nowhere and is basically back there.  Just one example.  On the other hand, you probably see Phillips in the NHL next year, lighting it up.

Phillips is the highest scoring player in the AHL right now so that would be nice.  He's also 5'8 and getting to an age where it's getting hard to call him  a "prospect", so, there's that.

Lemme put it this way.   The covid crop of undrafted players is pretty phenomenal.  I have never seen this level of undrafted talent, well, ever.

I am just trying to find a nice way of asking if we plan to leverage that at all, or if the organization sees "large depth rw" as their top need in the next 5-10 years.   Because there is undrafted talent all over the place.

Not a good time to have created the current reputation the Flames have with how they handle their prospects.   Then again, I think any prospect would be attracted to playing for the Wranglers.

Praying for a plan

32 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Phillips is the highest scoring player in the AHL right now so that would be nice.  He's also 5'8 and getting to an age where it's getting hard to call him  a "prospect", so, there's that.

Lemme put it this way.   The covid crop of undrafted players is pretty phenomenal.  I have never seen this level of undrafted talent, well, ever.

I am just trying to find a nice way of asking if we plan to leverage that at all, or if the organization sees "large depth rw" as their top need in the next 5-10 years.   Because there is undrafted talent all over the place.

Not a good time to have created the current reputation the Flames have with how they handle their prospects.   Then again, I think any prospect would be attracted to playing for the Wranglers.

Praying for a plan

Hmmm, what do we have that appeals to players from the USA or that might like to play there?

34 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Hmmm, what do we have that appeals to players from the USA or that might like to play there?

Less shootings?  lol.  How to answer that and stay on topic.   I think we would be a natural destination for both Canadians and Europeans, and lots of Americans too.   Sutter and Treliving aside.

Also, with the way things are headed they're probably going to get opportunities here.  But, yeah.   That's not exactly self-evident in the here and now.

Well, Wranglers win in Regulation against Coachella, it was a chipping game with some good hits. Wranglers held them off for 20 minutes and killed a huge 5-3. Phillips set up a couple of good goals, they scored late to take a 2-1 lead. Much like the Flames however, the drama got tense as Desimone with all day and on the opposite of the rink flips the puck out of play with 2:41 left in the 3rd. Wolf held the fort and they killed the penalty thankfully. They scored an empty netter to win 3-1.  Hunt with the game-winner set by Philips. Wranglers are now top of the league. Have to give a big shout-out to Mitch Love and the coaches, These guys bend but they never seem to break. Outside of the odd breakdown the are very positionally sound and capitalize when the can 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Burke signed an ELC with Nashville early this season. He spends his life tapping in Ty Voit passes.

I warned you about stat watching.lol

The league needs more Lomberg's and this is pretty much how you go about finding them.

40 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Burke signed an ELC with Nashville early this season. He spends his life tapping in Ty Voit passes.

I warned you about stat watching.lol

The league needs more Lomberg's and this is pretty much how you go about finding them.

You and lots of other highly intelligent and skilled intellectuals of the game (a group I consider you in) have warned me about stat watching and yet my track record is annoyingly accurate.    

The truth is somewhere in the middle, you need both.  If me and you had a 6 week fight that someone paid us to have, we would come up with a list that is better than either of our previous lists, and that's the truth.

Duarte:   This isn't an attack on him, I think you've assessed him correctly and happy to have him.  Yes we need more Lombergs.

Burke:   Not my top pick for ATO, personally.   But, guess who's also on a stacked team?   Duarte.   We can go watch the highlight reals (I seen em), he's not just tapping in passes.   But if he's already signed, then that's that.   My question would be, where were we?  Since we screw up every draft so bad trying to find a top center?

Avery Hayes:  Of the players I mentioned, I think Avery Hayes is the more interesting.  Why?
  1.  RH

2.  Has worn the "A"

3.  Playoffs.  In the playoffs, he consistently goes Goal-per-game.   On good teams and bad.
             A hint of the "here let me do it, I was just being nice in the regular season"   extra gear.

But that's just the OHL players, which is the most over-scouted league in the world.   

Lots more, so just wondering if there's a plan.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=227527

It looks like Parker Bell has joined the Wranglers for the playoffs.  Will be actually play?  I'm intrigued as he has size and put up decent numbers this season in Tri-City.

This is why I think Coronato should be allowed to play. 

the rules should be, if your rights are owned by the organization prior to the deadline and haven't played a certain amount of games in the NHL, or they could base it on the players Waiver status if they're a prospect that hasn't played in the AHL. While other players who are not waiver exempt  need to be on the AHL roster beforehand? Makes sense, no?

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=227527

It looks like Parker Bell has joined the Wranglers for the playoffs.  Will be actually play?  I'm intrigued as he has size and put up decent numbers this season in Tri-City.

hes definitely become an intriguing prospect for the organization. Big step forward this year and he’s tracking pretty well. 

I would be surprised if he plays though, unless they go deep and have injuries. I think what’s more intriguing is do they sign him this year and turn him pro or send him back for his 20 year old year. 

So I watched the past 3 games with the Wranglers. They were terrible the first games. Wolf was below average but the team in front of him was no screaming hell either. Great fight with Gallant and some kid from VAN, poor bastard took a beating lol. 

Last night the Wranglers were on their heels, VAN played a high-pressure swarm attack as they have the past 2 games, really limiting time and space. Wranglers got a spark after the 1st goal by Desiome. They never really gained any momentum till the tying goal by Hunt, a great setup by Pelts. It gave them a spark and than Klapka had a deflection to give them the lead and they closed it out.  Have not seen Duehr on the roster assumption is he is banged up still from the open gate incident in CGY. 

Players of interest. Bell was invisible in the 1st game but REALLY noticeable in the 2nd game. The kid is big holds the puck well very smart and conformed with possession and distribution, wins puck battles, and is hard to move off the puck. Early review I LIKE THIS KID.  Porier I still think this kid could be fine, just love his skating and offensive abilities, but he is very raw offensively. Phillips love the little man but since things have tightened up he is invisible. Pelts has been not really noticeable actually, he isn't driving the play as before. Emilio Petterson I Like this kid too, similar to Parker Bell very good with distribution and stick-handling skills. Klappka is not hard to notice this boy is big lol. Need to work on edge work and core strength but he has been a good addition. Hunt appears to be a good add. The dman that stands out for me outside of Porier is Solo, poised good reads good first pass. 

The deserve the bye these boys what the coaches and team have done is impressive. Would have been great to see Coronato on this team, a lethal sniper would just add to their offense. At least there should be some great playoff hockey in CGY. Best of luck boys!!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Back to back coach of the year honors.

I really hope the news today doesn't cost the Flames this guy. NEED to be the ones to keep him and give him a shot

At the very least, he should be brought up to the Flames as an A/coach.  He understands the AHL players, which we seem to have lost over time.  Huska was that guy, but his days may be numbers.  Besides that, he hasn't had anything to do with the Heat/Wranglers in years.

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

At the very least, he should be brought up to the Flames as an A/coach.  He understands the AHL players, which we seem to have lost over time.  Huska was that guy, but his days may be numbers.  Besides that, he hasn't had anything to do with the Heat/Wranglers in years.

Not sure why he would do that. his stock is rising really fast that i'm not sure it would be considered a promotion to no longer run a bench.