22/23 Calgary Wranglers Season Discussion

14 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Yeah, I don't get it either have not looked into it, it's weird. 

It's to save money on travel expenses. So now they have May 11 & 12 b2b in Calgary. Then Coachella hosts the final 3, if necessary. It's Calgary's choice of first 2 or last 3. They've chosen I guess.

On 5/3/2023 at 3:42 PM, zima said:

'Totally agree we are horse country 

Sure the province is. A city of 1.2 million, notsomuch. You're not ranchers, farmers or agriculturalists. It's not 1960 anymore. It's none of hicktown, horsetown or cowtown. A 2 week rodeo doesn't change that a city of over a million is fairly removed from country life. Hanging onto it doesn't make the past real.

11 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Sure the province is. A city of 1.2 million, notsomuch. You're not ranchers, farmers or agriculturalists. It's not 1960 anymore. It's none of hicktown, horsetown or cowtown. A 2 week rodeo doesn't change that a city of over a million is fairly removed from country life. Hanging onto it doesn't make the past real.

It was more of a question of Wranglers "W" or a stylized horey head.

The emblem is bland.

Some of the AHL teams is CHL level creativity.

Not exactly a province of wranglers either.

Can use oil in any way shape or form.

What's left that relates to the NHL team?

Heat?  

Ring of Fire?

Abbotsford was a very tough matchup for the Wranglers. Every game was tightly contested. Could have went the other way rather easily. But that's playoff hockey.

Coachella is gonna be really tough. That's a very good, veteran team. 

The two best teams in the AHL battling for a conference final berth.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Abbotsford was a very tough matchup for the Wranglers. Every game was tightly contested. Could have went the other way rather easily. But that's playoff hockey.

Coachella is gonna be really tough. That's a very good, veteran team. 

The two best teams in the AHL battling for a conference final berth.

Yeah, that seems a little odd that the two top teams play before the conference finals.

Anyway, good luvk to them.  Great experience this year.

Wolf had the taste of getting to the Calder last year and came up short.

He wants it.

1 hour ago, zima said:

So what's the chances of getting past Coachella slim not likely or pretty good ?

If nothing else, it should be an excellent series. This is the AHL heavyweight bout that everybody was hoping to see in the Pacific Division Final.

The Wranglers and the Firebirds placed 1st and 2nd, and played each other 8 times this season. In those 8 games, each team won 4 in regulation. Both teams lost 17 games in regulation this year, and 4 to each other.

There are a couple of points to consider -

• The Wranglers lost to them a couple of times early in the season before hitting their stride
  • Seattle are still in the playoffs, so the Firebirds don't have NHL reinforcements

Those factors considered, I think that the Wranglers will take this series, but it's going to be hard fought.

Love.

On 5/7/2023 at 4:02 PM, travel_dude said:

It was more of a question of Wranglers "W" or a stylized horey head.

The emblem is bland.

Some of the AHL teams is CHL level creativity.

Not exactly a province of wranglers either.

Can use oil in any way shape or form.

What's left that relates to the NHL team?

Heat?  

Ring of Fire?

Two most obvious are a horse-head, or...well,  us.

noun

1. 1.
    NORTH AMERICAN
    a person in charge of horses or other livestock on a ranch.
    •  

2. 2.
    a person engaging in a lengthy and complicated quarrel or dispute.

6 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Two most obvious are a horse-head, or...well,  us.

noun

1. 1.
    NORTH AMERICAN
    a person in charge of horses or other livestock on a ranch.
    •  

2. 2.
    a person engaging in a lengthy and complicated quarrel or dispute.

I think it's a nod to the Stamps.

I'm not sure what dictionary you are using, but it leaves out the obvious?

Wranglers did well to get back into the series on Friday. Wolf with a really nice bounce back. Zary with a highlight reel goal. 

Think they are going to have to find another gear to win the series though. They were inconsistent and tentative on Friday and once Coachella got going they really took it to the wranglers who hung on. 

Wranglers just haven’t hit a groove in these playoffs yet

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cross16 said:

Wranglers did well to get back into the series on Friday. Wolf with a really nice bounce back. Zary with a highlight reel goal. 

Think they are going to have to find another gear to win the series though. They were inconsistent and tentative on Friday and once Coachella got going they really took it to the wranglers who hung on. 

Wranglers just haven’t hit a groove in these playoffs yet

Have to agree.  Seem to be playing for a low scoring result instead of giving Wolf 3 goal leads.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Wranglers backs are to the wall now. Lost 3-2 in Triple OT last night and are now 1 loss away from elimination. 

The 5 game format sucks.  They really dominated on the shot clock in the fist OT.  Something like 19-3.  Even had a PP.  Daccord stopped 62 in total to Wolf's 51.  Crazy.

29 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Lack of scoring just follows us around.

The game on Friday mirrored the Flames in a lot of ways. Wranglers have really good depth across all 4 lines, but they don't have that 1-2 guys you can count on or that stand out. 

Pelletier is playing well, but he's not exactly a sniper. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The game on Friday mirrored the Flames in a lot of ways. Wranglers have really good depth across all 4 lines, but they don't have that 1-2 guys you can count on or that stand out. 

Pelletier is playing well, but he's not exactly a sniper. 

So, I have to ask.  Is Love the type of coach that would get more offense out of our NHL team or is he more of a Sutter type that relies on shot volume and play like it's a less skilled team?  I don't watch the AHL games, so I can't tell you if it's like watching the Flames or just not having enough high end skill.

The reason why I am asking is that there is a chance that he could become our new head coach, should the new GM go that route.

On 5/16/2023 at 11:11 AM, travel_dude said:

So, I have to ask.  Is Love the type of coach that would get more offense out of our NHL team or is he more of a Sutter type that relies on shot volume and play like it's a less skilled team?  I don't watch the AHL games, so I can't tell you if it's like watching the Flames or just not having enough high end skill.

The reason why I am asking is that there is a chance that he could become our new head coach, should the new GM go that route.

I think this is only so much a coach can do to draw out offense. I don't like a lot of what Sutter did last year but I think blaming the offence on him isn't fair. While yes I prefer a different style than his last year I'm not prepared to say his style is what totally stifled offence, especially 5 on 5. 

What I think what Love could do is communicate. Everything I've read, heard and witness i Love is that he is a top notch communicator and really is in the mold of today's coach. I think the next coach of the Flames doesn't necessarily have to draw out more offence in the way of systematic play, he needs to be a better communicator in order to get the more talents players performing at that level. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think this is only so much a coach can do to draw out offense. I don't like a lot of what Sutter did last year but I think blaming the offence on him isn't fair. While yes I prefer a different style than his last year I'm not prepared to say his style is what totally stifled offence, especially 5 on 5. 

What I think what Love could do is communicate. Everything I've read, heard and witness i Love is that he is a top notch communicator and really is in the mold of today's coach. I think the next coach of the Flames doesn't necessarily have to draw out more offence in the way of systematic play, he needs to be a better communicator in order to get the more talents players performing at that level. 

That's fair.  I was picking on Sutter for the excess dump and chase at times and the shot volume comments.

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

That's fair.  I was picking on Sutter for the excess dump and chase at times and the shot volume comments.

The PP should be the greater point of concern. 

But it's going to be tough to judge Love based on how the Wranglers play. The Flames guidance has been that they want their AHL team to play very similar systems to the NHL club so that in the event of the call up they lessen the learning curve.  So the Wranglers looking like the Flames, systematically, is not by accident. 

But what's nice about Love is he's shown he can adapt and coach well despite the system. I think that's what your looking for. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The PP should be the greater point of concern. 

But it's going to be tough to judge Love based on how the Wranglers play. The Flames guidance has been that they want their AHL team to play very similar systems to the NHL club so that in the event of the call up they lessen the learning curve.  So the Wranglers looking like the Flames, systematically, is not by accident. 

But what's nice about Love is he's shown he can adapt and coach well despite the system. I think that's what your looking for. 

Yeah, I was a little worried that Love was a carbon copy of Sutter's systems.  Muller was a big concern, so I hope regardless that he is replaced.