22/23 Calgary Wranglers Season Discussion

25 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Darryl Sutter saw this and has now guaranteed Phillips a spot on next year's team if he re-signs

****sarcasm****

I wonder if the 12 minutes includes the two that he got with the Flames against Montreal that likely cost him his shot at a career with the Big Team.

Love.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I know that Sutter likes to watch AHL and Hitmen games, but the last thing we need is Sutter and Maloney in the same room before we have made coaching and GM decisions.  

I think those decisions have been made. Any word on Phillips being suspended further?

Good for prospects to have Sutter there. They'll need offseason advice and a coach that understands what should be a deep run come camp.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I know that Sutter likes to watch AHL and Hitmen games, but the last thing we need is Sutter and Maloney in the same room before we have made coaching and GM decisions.  

I think this is a really bad take. He's the coach, he's a quality hockey person and he happens to have his son on the team. WTF would it matter if they watch a game together?

Whether you like him or not, whether you want him as the coach is one discussion. I think regardless of what he does moving forward Sutter can help the prospects and he can help hockey ops. I see nothing to this whatsoever. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

I think this is a really bad take. He's the coach, he's a quality hockey person and he happens to have his son on the team. WTF would it matter if they watch a game together?

Can dislike Sutter all you like but let's not invent stuff that doesn't need to be invented. 

Yup. Turn the page. It's great to have them there. Great support for Mitch Love as well as the prospects. That's what it's all about. There's always room to grow.

21 hours ago, cross16 said:

Whether you like him or not, whether you want him as the coach is one discussion. I think regardless of what he does moving forward Sutter can help the prospects and he can help hockey ops. I see nothing to this whatsoever. 

100% of what gets lost in all of this is he has two sons that love the game one that is Captain of the team. He has twice won the hardest thing is sports to win, so there is some value in that as well if they bring him in the room. Regardless of what people want to believe, DS appears to be a very genuine caring person, this season's disaster isn't solely on DS. 

6 hours ago, tmac70 said:

100% of what gets lost in all of this is he has two sons that love the game one that is Captain of the team. He has twice won the hardest thing is sports to win, so there is some value in that as well if they bring him in the room. Regardless of what people want to believe, DS appears to be a very genuine caring person, this season's disaster isn't solely on DS. 

TBH, I had forgotten about this.  This may also be his last season in hockey.

Well the Wranglers win again in OT, sloppy game they gave up 2 short-handed goals and were down 3-1 going into the 3rd. Phillips has absolutely abused this whole game and scored the game-winner on PP to seal it. Was a sloppy win but it's a win. They are now 2-0 in the best of 5, hopefully, they play their best game of this series to end it,

• Like 1

21 hours ago, travel_dude said:

TBH, I had forgotten about this.  This may also be his last season in hockey.

Who are you talking about DS? or his son? by the way why would it matter if DS supports his son while playing in the A he is a father I my self repect him for being there to support his son JS. 

9 hours ago, zima said:

Who are you talking about DS? or his son? by the way why would it matter if DS supports his son while playing in the A he is a father I my self repect him for being there to support his son JS. 

Whatever.  I was saying the hockey player Brett Sutter is near the end of his career.

He's 35.  Hasn't been in the NHL since 2015.

Forgive me for forgetting that he played on the Flames farm team this one year.

Three of our best prospects and one that probably doesn't ever play for the Flames (Phillips) were there.

Who is JS?  His other son, the one the Flames fans love is Chris.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

For fun...imagine the conversations...

MP: Dude, what do I have to do to impress your old man?

Brett: I have no idea.

I think that hits the nail on the head.  I would almost picture Brett showing up for supper at the farm.

DS: how was your day?

BS: Great!  I scored 2 goals, got the game winner and awarded 1st star.

DS: Oh.  So, you are still in the AHL?  Good job.  I guess.

I am just kidding.  DS is an odd duck.  In my mind he would be hard to impress as a kid.

Abbotsford is a good team. There's not much to choose between the two clubs. They've given the Wranglers issues all season. Two OT wins, could easily have gone the other way.

Game 3 will be a tough one.

In the other series, Colorado leads Coachella Valley 2-1. Game 4 Wednesday.

14 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Random thoughts on the Wrangers:

Move to Calgary:  10/10

Renaming to "Wranglers":  10/10

Performance this year:  10/10

Logo:    0

Love it or hate it the Horsehead used on the reverse retro jersey should have been used over a W.  

Wranglers lost tonight in regulation. Wolf didn't play well, actually, the whole team was slow and disengaged. Man, those who wish Phillips should be a full-time NHLer need to watch this game. The kid took a pounding, he gets back into the play I give him credit, but Phillips had ZERO effect in this game, he got crushed more than once. The wranglers just looked slow tonight disinterested and with no passion. Has to be Sutter's fault.

• Like 1

Well, the Wranglers have advanced with a 3-2 win in regulation. KlapCoachella ka with the game-winner to advance them. Was a close game there was typical playoff hockey. They now take on Coachella in the next round.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Well, the Wranglers have advanced with a 3-2 win in regulation. KlapCoachella ka with the game-winner to advance them. Was a close game there was typical playoff hockey. They now take on Coachella in the next round.  

Great news!! I really hate the sked setup. If you have home ice advantage, what exactly is the advantage?

I see the conference final is the same setup.

11 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Great news!! I really hate the sked setup. If you have home ice advantage, what exactly is the advantage?

I see the conference final is the same setup.

Yeah, I don't get it either have not looked into it, it's weird.