22/23 Calgary Wranglers Season Discussion

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, sak22 said:

AHL All-Stars well deserved.  It's too bad Love hates Poirier and would rather play old guys like Sutter and McClain over kids like Kerins and Nikolaev.

there were issues.  He said if you don't [perform, you don't play.

I don't know what the issues were or are.

• 2 weeks later...

Been watching the Wranglers play this season. Its actually sloppy hockey but you get a sense of what players could be. They have a preety good club actually, but there are players that you can see have a chance and some that will not. 

Potetnial NHLer's 

1) Wolf:  4) Porier

2) Zary  5) Kuzentov

3) Pelltier

Outside chance

1) Zoharna      4) Schwindt   

2) Solovolyva   5) Klappka

3) Phillips **      6) Petterson

Possible call ups ( place holders)

1) Rooney

2) De Simone

3) Gilbert

Phillips is interesting. The kid is good to good for the AHL, he is usally one of the better players on the ice but doesn't really provide that WOW factor.  With Wolf its not IF he makes it more of a WHEN he makes it.  Zary, Poirer, Klapka and Kunetsov its a maturation procees. They need a good off season put some muscle mass on, strentgh training.  The issue with Zoharna is IQ, He  has the tools size but the ambition to excel is just not there and IMHO has very low hockey IQ.

One thing for certain, we have no forwards that are going to be elite or stars in the system. The highest ceiling with what i can see at forward is possible 2nd line( thats a reach) but for sure 3rd line player is Zary and Pelltier. On Defense we could have a top 1-4 Dman in Porier.  Skates well good offesnive instints D coverage  is getting better just need more muscle and core strength. His off season if he pushes himself to another level in training could be really good. Kunzetov is going to be a good shut down guy, great complimentary guy should slot in the 4-6 range. 

• Like 2

I personally would move Solovyov up that list. Next to Porier he's been the most impressive Dman for me. Just plays a really nice, steady game, very good at ending cycles, getting physical, and getting pucks the other way. Limits mistakes, good size, kind of player coaches like on their bottom pairing. They lean on him quite a bit (he's on their top pairing) and it wouldn't surprise me if he works his way into a call up in the near future. I quite like him in what i've seen so far. 

I haven't been very impressed with Kuznetsov myself. He really needs to add a puck moving component to his game and get more comfortable with the puck on his stick. He's good, not great, in his own zone, has a heavy shot once in the o zone, but he's really a non factor when it comes to the transition game. 

but I agree with the takeaway. I do think both Pelletier and Zary have top 6 potential but while the Wranglers are a good team it's mostly built on depth guys for sure. I think the Flames have a long list of players that warrant a look at the NHL level but of course it's low on elite talent. But should be noted that you don't tend to have elite or first line talent in the AHL. 

A name I would add in tmac's list more in the 2nd and 3rd list is Ben Jones, not a high end guy but does have a few games already and is still only 23, he may be more of a placeholder, but I don't know why Vegas let him go a solid pickup to replace the vets lost last year. 

On 1/25/2023 at 12:34 PM, cross16 said:

I personally would move Solovyov up that list. Next to Porier he's been the most impressive Dman for me. Just plays a really nice, steady game, very good at ending cycles, getting physical, and getting pucks the other way. Limits mistakes, good size, kind of player coaches like on their bottom pairing. They lean on him quite a bit (he's on their top pairing) and it wouldn't surprise me if he works his way into a call up in the near future. I quite like him in what i've seen so far. 

I haven't been very impressed with Kuznetsov myself. He really needs to add a puck moving component to his game and get more comfortable with the puck on his stick. He's good, not great, in his own zone, has a heavy shot once in the o zone, but he's really a non factor when it comes to the transition game. 

but I agree with the takeaway. I do think both Pelletier and Zary have top 6 potential but while the Wranglers are a good team it's mostly built on depth guys for sure. I think the Flames have a long list of players that warrant a look at the NHL level but of course it's low on elite talent. But should be noted that you don't tend to have elite or first line talent in the AHL. 

Solv i think you can see it but I would like to see a little more, he has the tools for sure. With Kuznetsov as I said its a maturation and strength process. For rme he is a 4-7 guy depending on his desire to push himself. In the organization right now those 3 are the only ones I see with any chance of making it on D thats for sure. 

The last game against the Reign, The wranglers had the game in the bag, however gave it away similar to the Flames and  found a way to lose. On the power play and Petterson tries to do the Kadri move at the top of the blue line, loses control, SH goal. Before this point Wranglers had the edge in play. Reign pulled there goalie at about 2 minute mark as a lazy penalty was taken, score again. Than lose in OT with crappy coverage. 

Now Petterson has wheels and he does have glimpses of great plays but than he tries to much and this happens. He is fun to watch can skate, stick handles well passes well, but there is a lot of growth that needs to happen with him. The lose was on him, even at the AHL level just a little bit of a spark changed the momentum drastically gave the Reign life were there was really none. Now if Wranglers score its a dagger to end it, but taking unnecessary risks was the problem which Petterson tried. Rightfully so his Hash Rate was stapled to the bench as I am pretty sure Love was not impressed. Now this is a good lesson for Petterson, thats what this league is about. Petterson could be good you can see it speed, skill, makes good plays but its plays like this that really kills any momentum he had. 

• Like 1

Solid win last night. Dansk stood tall in this one made some unbelievable saves to stop some momentum from Henderson. Jones looked impressive as he had lots of jump in his game. Wranglers looked more in sync tonight it was a good all round team game I thought. Phillips and Zary have been held off the sheet but its not from lack of effort more than better coverage by the opposition. Watching Zoharna you can see why he is liked by teams. The guy is big stands out in every game, similar to Phillips. He is to good for the AHL, but just can't seem to find that transition spot up to the show. Duher looked good as well, kid is solid all round player he is a great 4th line guy for the NHL I like. Skates good on the fore check is starting to use his speed to open oppurtunities. Scored the dager last night in the Henderson game. Porier and Slo were the best dmand last night. Kuzentsov as I mentioned just needs to maturation. I see a better skating more offensive version of Rasmus Anderson in Porier, his d coverage is gettign better and better IMHO. The only thing that stands out in this league is and Sutter commented on it as well. Players with high hockey IQ will find the transitiion to the NHL easier once they get more established in the AHL. 

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

Solid win last night. Dansk stood tall in this one made some unbelievable saves to stop some momentum from Henderson. Jones looked impressive as he had lots of jump in his game. Wranglers looked more in sync tonight it was a good all round team game I thought. Phillips and Zary have been held off the sheet but its not from lack of effort more than better coverage by the opposition. Watching Zoharna you can see why he is liked by teams. The guy is big stands out in every game, similar to Phillips. He is to good for the AHL, but just can't seem to find that transition spot up to the show. Duher looked good as well, kid is solid all round player he is a great 4th line guy for the NHL I like. Skates good on the fore check is starting to use his speed to open oppurtunities. Scored the dager last night in the Henderson game. Porier and Slo were the best dmand last night. Kuzentsov as I mentioned just needs to maturation. I see a better skating more offensive version of Rasmus Anderson in Porier, his d coverage is gettign better and better IMHO. The only thing that stands out in this league is and Sutter commented on it as well. Players with high hockey IQ will find the transitiion to the NHL easier once they get more established in the AHL. 

Good to hear from someone watching the AHL team.  The problem with using Zohorna and Duehr is the lack of quality spots in the NHL.

Unless you use them on lines with the equal amount of skill, they seem to be out of sync.  

Nothing against Lucic or Lewis, but we have enough younger players to creat a decent 4th line.

Zohorna, Duehr, Ruzicka, even Ritchie (though I would say Ritchie is less than those guys).

Instead, you play 1 or 2 with the lesser vets.  4th line NHL players with 3rd or 4th line capable prospcts.  Maybe even higher.

Zohorna is a bit more like Ritchie, though.  Ok for a 4th line.  Can score.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Good to hear from someone watching the AHL team.  The problem with using Zohorna and Duehr is the lack of quality spots in the NHL.

Unless you use them on lines with the equal amount of skill, they seem to be out of sync.  

Nothing against Lucic or Lewis, but we have enough younger players to creat a decent 4th line.

Zohorna, Duehr, Ruzicka, even Ritchie (though I would say Ritchie is less than those guys).

Instead, you play 1 or 2 with the lesser vets.  4th line NHL players with 3rd or 4th line capable prospcts.  Maybe even higher.

Zohorna is a bit more like Ritchie, though.  Ok for a 4th line.  Can score.

Dueher is a straight line north south guy IMHO, he is your prototypical 4th line guy. Zohorma has more offensive upside and he really stands out from all the games I watch in AHL.  What is perplexing with Zoh is he looks like a high ceiling talent but sputters at the NHL. I think he has more upside than a 4th liner but just can't figure it out. Guys like him and Ruzika are just baffling to me. If you played like you were 6 foot 4 there would never be a day your not in the line up. To have that size and skills to play like your 5 foot 6 just never got that. Zohorma and Phillips are heads and tales offensively more talented than the rest, the only other that stands out from the regulars is Petterson.  Fast skilled has good hockey sense, to me if he figures it out could be better than Phillips. He just creates space for guys on his line, 2nd PP guy he is one that is interesting that has potentail upside beside the regulars. This is  where you need to hit a home run with late round picks 

16 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Dueher is a straight line north south guy IMHO, he is your prototypical 4th line guy. Zohorma has more offensive upside and he really stands out from all the games I watch in AHL.  What is perplexing with Zoh is he looks like a high ceiling talent but sputters at the NHL. I think he has more upside than a 4th liner but just can't figure it out. Guys like him and Ruzika are just baffling to me. If you played like you were 6 foot 4 there would never be a day your not in the line up. To have that size and skills to play like your 5 foot 6 just never got that. Zohorma and Phillips are heads and tales offensively more talented than the rest, the only other that stands out from the regulars is Petterson.  Fast skilled has good hockey sense, to me if he figures it out could be better than Phillips. He just creates space for guys on his line, 2nd PP guy he is one that is interesting that has potentail upside beside the regulars. This is  where you need to hit a home run with late round picks 

The transition for top 6 players to the NHL is difficult if the spot available is a 4th line grinder role.

Not every team has that type of 4th line; some are speed and forecheck.

Duehr had success when Kadri played on his line for a shift.

Or when Pelletier was there.

You know, some speed.

Ruzicka played well in the top 9, and the top line wasn't exactly bump and grind.

Well caught 2/3rds of the Reign/ Wranglers game last night. Was a good team victory IMHO. On a back to back with a tough opponent the Wranglers actually shut it down. There were no stand outs just a good old fashion road game. The best players and specialty teams came through when required there really wasn't much break downs in the system or team. Its refreshing to see a team just play their style and top players step up for a victory when they were needed. Wolf was tested but really never had to make outstanding saves to keep them in. Pelts and Phillips each scored and Duehr and Jones with EN goals to finalize. Was a very good all around team victory, refreshing to watch. THe Flames could have learned something on this game LOL 

I hope the Flames can hang on to Love long enough for Sutter to retire because I think teams are gonna come a calling. Super impressive what he has done with that group the last two years. Coach of the year last year and top AHL team so far this year. 

He does a fantastic job IMO. 

9 hours ago, cross16 said:

I hope the Flames can hang on to Love long enough for Sutter to retire because I think teams are gonna come a calling. Super impressive what he has done with that group the last two years. Coach of the year last year and top AHL team so far this year. 

He does a fantastic job IMO. 

He's risen pretty quickly.  We still have MacLean and Huska, so Love must be next in line for promotion. We do a pretty good job identifying coaches and keeping a competitive AHL team.

Now who can fix a PP?

On 1/31/2023 at 7:54 AM, conundrumed said:

He's risen pretty quickly.  We still have MacLean and Huska, so Love must be next in line for promotion. We do a pretty good job identifying coaches and keeping a competitive AHL team.

Now who can fix a PP?

Isn't there some kind of protection there, or just higher up?

I remember you brought it up when I proposed pillaging Detroit's management

7 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Isn't there some kind of protection there, or just higher up?

I remember you brought it up when I proposed pillaging Detroit's management

Used to be a pick for compensation because Detroit complained heavily about it, rightfully so. But they did away with that, now you just have to ask the team's permission.

I doubt any team says no. Kind of a rock and a hard place. Don't wanna say yes, but don't wanna disenfranchise your employee.

• Like 1

I do really love how the Flames finally brought their AHL team home and gave them a respectable name.

"The Heat" was just so brutal.    Like we had a pet out west that needed neutering.

Now we have an awesome name and an awesome team in our awesome City.  Maybe it's not the NHL but otherwise it's all I've ever wanted.

The second best part is coming in and seeing all the vets here pissed and grouchy because Sutter won't play their guy.   That's what moving the team here does!   Keep warming my heart with all that loyal negativity! :)

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I do really love how the Flames finally brought their AHL team home and gave them a respectable name.

"The Heat" was just so brutal.    Like we had a pet out west that needed neutering.

Now we have an awesome name and an awesome team in our awesome City.  Maybe it's not the NHL but otherwise it's all I've ever wanted.

The second best part is coming in and seeing all the vets here pissed and grouchy because Sutter won't play their guy.   That's what moving the team here does!   Keep warming my heart with all that loyal negativity! :)

"My guy" is always going to be the one that best suits the team needs.  Do we need another Ritchie?  Nope, not unless we sit Lucic.

The younguns lighting a fire under a vet is a good thing.  You want to play, do something.

The Heat from Cali was a great team last year.

Not just a NHL wanna be bunch of guys.

This year is the same, just close to home and gives the coach and GM a better chance to discect them.

• 2 weeks later...

Was in Mexico and missed a couple of games for these guys. The game against Colorado was a close-checking game. The only one that looks NHL-ready is Duher IMHO. Wolf played well as well. The Wranglers won over time with a first goal of the year from Solo, was his best game since I have been watching, was a stud last night. Zary is struggling as is Phillips and Zoh. Coverage is tight on these guys and they can not find time and space. Petterson didn't play last night but played in their loss to Abbotsford. Petterson had two goals and was a standout in that one. Petterson and Poier are fun to watch, both very good on their edges but with raw talents. 

The wranglers play a very similar style to the Flames but never seem to be out of position as much. Their PK is 1st in the league and their PP is ranked very high as well. One key factor is that they definitely get better support in the net with Wolf, which aids in the wins. They don't give up many high-quality chances. Most goals on Wolf have been screens or deflections top-shelf style goals. With his size, top-corner shots are exposed so he will struggle with that at the next level.  Wolf is the MVP on this club for sure

• Like 1

Another win for the Wranglers. Zary got off the 11-game snid tonight. The game was kind of meh, nothing great nothing really bad. Wolf looked average tonight let in some he normally has no issues with. The standouts for me tonight were Petterson and Porier, love the way these two handle the puck and create time and space. They both skate so well and have great stickhandling abilities too. Porier reminds me of a smoother skating more offensive style of Kylington. Petterson kind of reminds me of a more offensive player like Dube but better. They both have warts but if they find it they could be something. They seem to get better each and every game, fun to watch when their on the ice. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The wranglers lose tonight in Colorado. Wolf was outstanding with some 10 bell saves, really lots of penalties for the Wranglers no real emotions or urgency in their game. So very costly turnovers like really bad by the D man tonight. Colorado plays very fast similar to the NHL team. The Wranglers never really carried much of the play. Phillips Zary were invisible tonight, as the games get tighter they disappear more and more. Phillips if given space can make things happen though. Not to rub salt in it, but they will miss Zoh in the middle. He helped drive the play and was very good in the dot as well

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Love the updates. I wanna watch them but it's later here and the streams are pretty inadequate.

Well, last night they won actually shut it off with 3:00 minutes left. They were down 5-3 and left Wolf out to dry for most of the game. Very undisciplined no emotion kind of like watching the Flames lol. Seen they won in a shoot-out, so I wnt back and watched the rest. Totally different, aggressive on the puck, driving the net pushing the play scored 2 inside of 1:30 to tie it up. Bring on Wolf in the shoot-out and stones all the shooters and Porier go low blocker to win it. 

Wold is good if he gets some form of assistance on from the D, he very good positionally. Hunt scored a nice goal, but out side of that was invisible. Pertteson and Phillips got the 2 goals required to get to overtime. Petteson was an absolute snipe from the left corner, similar to the one Kadri scored not sure how he found the hole. Zary has been invisible for a while now. The guys that seem to elevate their games lately are Poreir Zuznetov and Petterson. When they need something to happen or shut someone down they seem to rise to the occasion. Petterson to me is very dynamic, he is a Mags but with better offensive capabilities. 

• Like 1