22/23 Calgary Wranglers Season Discussion

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

Well, last night they won actually shut it off with 3:00 minutes left. They were down 5-3 and left Wolf out to dry for most of the game. Very undisciplined no emotion kind of like watching the Flames lol. Seen they won in a shoot-out, so I wnt back and watched the rest. Totally different, aggressive on the puck, driving the net pushing the play scored 2 inside of 1:30 to tie it up. Bring on Wolf in the shoot-out and stones all the shooters and Porier go low blocker to win it. 

Wold is good if he gets some form of assistance on from the D, he very good positionally. Hunt scored a nice goal, but out side of that was invisible. Pertteson and Phillips got the 2 goals required to get to overtime. Petteson was an absolute snipe from the left corner, similar to the one Kadri scored not sure how he found the hole. Zary has been invisible for a while now. The guys that seem to elevate their games lately are Poreir Zuznetov and Petterson. When they need something to happen or shut someone down they seem to rise to the occasion. Petterson to me is very dynamic, he is a Mags but with better offensive capabilities. 

Has to be a certain level of frustration in the ranks.

Zary and Phillips were scoring better than Zoh and Duehr, yet only Duehr gets an extended look?

Zoh called up for longer than Phillips, Zary not at all.

Pettersen should get a look no doubt.

No chance Poirier does this year.

Or Kuz.

We have 1 extra D that has NHL games.

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Has to be a certain level of frustration in the ranks.

Zary and Phillips were scoring better than Zoh and Duehr, yet only Duehr gets an extended look?

Zoh called up for longer than Phillips, Zary not at all.

Pettersen should get a look no doubt.

No chance Poirier does this year.

Or Kuz.

We have 1 extra D that has NHL games.

Duehr is a 4th line player who has filled in nicely since the injury to Ritchie. Phillips and Zary are top 9 forwards, we currently don't have any injuries for them to fill, unless you wish to demote Pelts. I love Phillips I do it's a great story that frankly isn't going to happen, at least not with this club. As bad as we are neither fill the void we need. Zary needs more strength IMHO he has the tools, just not the strength, he has played in all the games this year, it could be fatigue as well.  IMHO the guy that has elevated his game when they need a big goal or something dynamic is Pettersen in the past 3-4 weeks. The goal he sniped last night was unreal, it was JG like, there was nothing there lol. He makes very good plays protects the puck well, has good edges, and is solid. He was noticeable in most games but it just seems that the harder the games the more he stands out, at least for me. 

With Kuz, Sol and Porier we could have something there. Porier is Kylington but much better offensively. Think TJ Brodie but with offensive abilities.  He needs some more man strength and seasoning, However, after watching Stecherd laying on the ice pushed off the puck constantly, Porier would have faired similarly if not better.   Kuz and Sol will be bottom-end players 4-7 guys but if they stay on the trajectory they are on could be rewarding. 

We have some players to fill some role spots in the next few years, and I can agree with that. However, we don't have that game-changer in the minors. Frankly, the only one that stood out on all the teams that showed huge potential was Shane Wright the couple of games I seen him in. 

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

Duehr is a 4th line player who has filled in nicely since the injury to Ritchie. Phillips and Zary are top 9 forwards, we currently don't have any injuries for them to fill, unless you wish to demote Pelts. I love Phillips I do it's a great story that frankly isn't going to happen, at least not with this club. As bad as we are neither fill the void we need. Zary needs more strength IMHO he has the tools, just not the strength, he has played in all the games this year, it could be fatigue as well.  IMHO the guy that has elevated his game when they need a big goal or something dynamic is Pettersen in the past 3-4 weeks. The goal he sniped last night was unreal, it was JG like, there was nothing there lol. He makes very good plays protects the puck well, has good edges, and is solid. He was noticeable in most games but it just seems that the harder the games the more he stands out, at least for me. 

With Kuz, Sol and Porier we could have something there. Porier is Kylington but much better offensively. Think TJ Brodie but with offensive abilities.  He needs some more man strength and seasoning, However, after watching Stecherd laying on the ice pushed off the puck constantly, Porier would have faired similarly if not better.   Kuz and Sol will be bottom-end players 4-7 guys but if they stay on the trajectory they are on could be rewarding. 

We have some players to fill some role spots in the next few years, and I can agree with that. However, we don't have that game-changer in the minors. Frankly, the only one that stood out on all the teams that showed huge potential was Shane Wright the couple of games I seen him in. 

I watched a bit of the raw Poirier and Kuz, and yes there is a lot to be excited anout at least Poirier, but too soon.

Kylington was a multi year pro before ever even playing in Canada.

I think it's risky to just assume a player can't make it at any spot other than where he was in the AHL.

Pelletier didn't look out of place on a 4th line, but the minutes weren't there for him.

Strangely enough Lucic still manages 12 minutes even being a 4th liner with zero special teams time.

Duehr gets sucked into the 4th line style we play, because Lucic plays that way.

Not every team has bruisers for a 4th line.

Low skill teams ice line like Lucic or Kassian, because they just try to hurt and wear down other teams.

Wear them down by all the scoring they do against us and by skating laps around them.

I believe it's somewhat pointless now, as we have 2 regular call ups remaining.

We would have to go through a few to get emergency callups.

So, no there won't be any callups unless its game 82.  Even then I doubt it.

We will just go through the motions of pretending that players will get a chance.

And we will let walk guys we signed and never looked at.

Didn't impress at camp?  Too bad, see ya. 

Well, another win for the Wranglers. They had an offensive outburst with 5 in the first 2 periods. Let their foot off the gas and allowed Col a couple. Wide open game. Porier looked good again as did Zary and Petterson. Dansk with the win, the 2 that got by him he was left he had no chance on them. Wranglers with 39 wins on the season. When they are engaged they are a good hockey club. 

• Like 1

Wranglers with their 40th win last night was a defensive battle with low scoring. This game was a goalie battle really, Kincaid out battled by Wolf. Wolf should last night why he is one of the better if not the best in the AHL last night. He and Kincaid had a battle going. The Wranglers got a mid-3rd PP and a High tip by Schwindt to win it. Timely goals and key saves were the recipes for success on this night.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Wranglers with their 40th win last night was a defensive battle with low scoring. This game was a goalie battle really, Kincaid out battled by Wolf. Wolf should last night why he is one of the better if not the best in the AHL last night. He and Kincaid had a battle going. The Wranglers got a mid-3rd PP and a High tip by Schwindt to win it. Timely goals and key saves were the recipes for success on this night.

wow.. teams can get those?

I've watched too much Flames this year apparently. 

• Haha 1

Well another Wranglers victory, over Arz. They never looked out of this one, they broke the 0-0 tie in the second period and never looked back. They play a very structured style, they have all bought into the system. If anyone is curious as to how the Flames system actually works when everyone buys in just watch a Wrangler's game like last night. Wolf once again with the shutout, made some key saves when he had to but is very calm and reads plays well. Wranglers get scoring from all four lines which again is impressive to watch, they are not a one-line team. If it's not top players it's Dman or depth scoring all the time. The one player that still sticks out offensively for me anyway is Petterson. Made a great Defensive steal and dangles in over the line to score yet another highlight reel goal bar down short side backhand, very impressive. Sol, Zuz and Porier have looked good on D as well. If Porier can find a defensive game we could have something. This kid has great edge work offensive skills and a High hockey IQ with plays, my fingers are crossed.

Well, chalk up another win for the Wranglers, 2 goal night for Zary and Porier, and just another ho-hum shutout for Wolf. What's impressive about Wolf is his reads. Making good reads anticipates the play well. I have to say once again is if Porier gets the d side more nailed down, he could be a huge asset to the Flames. Scored a beauty tonight dangled through D and slid it in short side. Then next shift looking for the hatty splits the d once again and just couldn't get it past the tender. This club looks good plays relatively fast and has depth scoring on all lines. I would have to say that Wolf offsets some of their defensive flaws but these guys may be set for a long deep run in the playoffs. Each game they look better. At least we have some positives happening around this organization. If they get Pelts and convince Corronato to join the club for a playoff push, PFFT it could be really fun to watch

• Like 1

Well, Wranglers win the season series with the Gulls 3-2 last night. Wolf with the win and Phillips with a couple of goals to seal it. An uncharacteristic couple of very soft goals on Wolf but still made key saves when the club needed them. Phillips potted a couple, the kid looked good last night and moved well-created plays, for how small he is he isn't afraid of the hard areas. He can create space on the PP he is a watered-down version of JG, but just not enough to tip of the scale... Phillips is a very good AHLer, the fact he can't get entrenched on an NHL team or has never been traded for or grabbed on waivers is shocking. He's a great kid by the looks of it and loves to play hockey. I don't see him back next year on the Wranglers, the Flames will most likely never give him the chance. However, lets hope he and the boys can take a deep run and make his time with this club something special.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

They're still playing.😉

G tryouts are always a good idea, someone will have to be the AHL starter next year.

There are a handful of undrafted NCAA players that may have played their last games.

I haven't bothered going through the list to see who is still in play and who still have the finals remaining.

I leave that to the experts.

I see what you did there with Wolf.  Good one. 

13 hours ago, cross16 said:

Wranglers getting some reinforcements. Be interesting to see if he plays.

Best to get him out of Sweden though is they have any hopes of salvaging the pick (it's not looking good at this point)

That's great news!! I think he'll be a good player. We tend to get stuck with stat-watching re European players which formulates bias opinions based on stats. I think fans are in for a bit of a shock. He's a very good skater with good hands at 6'3". The SHL is better than the AHL, so an 18-19yo being able to get bottom 6 minutes is a big deal in and of itself. He was too dominant in the U20 league to be there. And the SHL helped him progress on the D side of things which he needed.

This pick was never a write off. Only for people that stat watch. He's going to turn the tables on prospect rankings next year when people actually watch him play consistently rather than a tournament that should more or less be ignored.

This is the same for Ronni. Both players will be on the big team in 2-3yrs max. Don't be surprised to find out that Stromgren is a very good player and adept puck carrier and scorer. He's only 20yo through next season, not like the clock is ticking.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

That's great news!! I think he'll be a good player. We tend to get stuck with stat-watching re European players which formulates bias opinions based on stats. I think fans are in for a bit of a shock. He's a very good skater with good hands at 6'3". The SHL is better than the AHL, so an 18-19yo being able to get bottom 6 minutes is a big deal in and of itself. He was too dominant in the U20 league to be there. And the SHL helped him progress on the D side of things which he needed.

This pick was never a write off. Only for people that stat watch. He's going to turn the tables on prospect rankings next year when people actually watch him play consistently rather than a tournament that should more or less be ignored.

This is the same for Ronni. Both players will be on the big team in 2-3yrs max. Don't be surprised to find out that Stromgren is a very good player and adept puck carrier and scorer. He's only 20yo through next season, not like the clock is ticking.

And to fair I obviously hope you are right. I agree Stromgren is a very toolsy guy and IMO was a big project when they drafted him so there is for sure something there and not necessarily reason to panic. Wasn't the intention. 

Just that I don't think he was trending well, especially in terms of ice time/opportunity so there is some work to do with him iMO which is why I think it was smart of the Flames to bring him over. He had 1 more year left on his deal in Sweden I understand.